Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted Engine, Brake Fluid, & Battery Covers

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 08:03 AM
thor2822

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Painted Engine, Brake Fluid, & Battery Covers

Does anyone know a website that sell the painted engine, brake fluid, & battery covers?
I have found plenty of sites that sell c/f but not painted.

thanks guys
Old 11-10-2004, 08:10 AM
abstrakt

Go to http://www.350zfrenzy.com/ and search for ZPRESCENCE. He has painted a lot of people's covers and body kits also
Old 11-10-2004, 10:08 AM
Srivero297

www.elegantwooddesign.com has the battery and fluid covers, but not the engine cover, but they are pretty expensive. real good quality stuff though.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:22 PM
mgl

just bring them to a local bodyshop and have them painted.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:40 PM
jlimquest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint Covers

Try Gundam02. He's very good & reasonable.
Attached Thumbnails Painted Engine, Brake Fluid, & Battery Covers-sscn0799.jpg  
Old 11-10-2004, 05:59 PM
jlimquest

Default Paint Covers

better pic.
Attached Thumbnails Painted Engine, Brake Fluid, & Battery Covers-dscn0777-small-.jpg  
Old 11-10-2004, 07:07 PM
Srivero297

jlimquest: Is that just regular Daytona Blue paint from Nissan that he used to paint those?

Basically, what I am asking is: Can i pick up a can of DB paint from Nissan and take it to my bodyshop with my parts and just have them paint it that color? Would it come out like that?
I was afraid it would come out looking cheap or unnatural.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:14 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Actually, you can paint it yourself. Order a can of spray paint from www.towerpaints.com All you have to do is specify the color code (B17) and you will get a large spray can of automotive paint that matches perfectly. Also pickup some Bulldog Adhesion Promoter to spray on the plastic parts first, otherwise the color won't stick as well.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:17 PM
Srivero297

B17 is aka Nissan Daytona Blue?

Also, would I be able to use this if I wanted to paint anything in the Interior as well?
Old 11-10-2004, 07:36 PM
jlimquest

Originally posted by Srivero297
jlimquest: Is that just regular Daytona Blue paint from Nissan that he used to paint those?

Basically, what I am asking is: Can i pick up a can of DB paint from Nissan and take it to my bodyshop with my parts and just have them paint it that color? Would it come out like that?
I was afraid it would come out looking cheap or unnatural.

Here's the DIY from Gundam02:

http://www.sc-side02.com/350z/diy.htm

Some more pics:

http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/s...threadid=15095
Old 11-10-2004, 07:45 PM
suse

I second that jim I just got mine from gundam in lemas sunset and they look freaking insane..best 180 bucks I ever spent.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:39 PM
mgl

Originally posted by suse
I second that jim I just got mine from gundam in lemas sunset and they look freaking insane..best 180 bucks I ever spent.
you paid $180 to paint the battery and engine covers?!?
Old 11-10-2004, 09:33 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my stuff painted by our sponsor Suite E GraphX

http://www.elegantwooddesign.com
Old 11-13-2004, 06:10 PM
MySunset350Z

just do it yourself. best $5 can of paint i ever bought. if you mess up just spray "goof off" all over it and watch the paint melt away. EVEN if you have a clear coat on it.

if u do a lot of work under the hood then you might wanna go this route just in case you accidently scratch them. this way you wont be out $234028234 or however much you spent having someone else paint them for you. amen.
Old 11-14-2004, 02:02 PM
BigMoeTaki42

To anyone that had their covers painted, how much did it cost? I sure hope it's less than 180 bucks. I was plannin on doin it myself, I thought it would be an easy job, but then I read that DIY a couple months ago and it looked a lot more complicated. Can you just buy the paint and spray em, or will that end up lookin like crap?
Old 11-14-2004, 04:15 PM
MySunset350Z

just buy some high temp engine paint and spray them. you might want to use some high grit sand paper first to lightly scrape the surface and give the paint something better to bind to.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:43 PM
Srivero297

Originally posted by MySunset350Z
just buy some high temp engine paint and spray them. you might want to use some high grit sand paper first to lightly scrape the surface and give the paint something better to bind to.
Do you recommend using adhesion promoter?
Old 11-14-2004, 06:28 PM
gundam02

Do you recommend using adhesion promoter?
Yes, if you DIY, adhesion promoter is something you really want to do. Basically it's like putting glue between the base coat and the plastic. It keeps the paint from chipping or peeling off the plastic and it also helps with the heat in the engine. As engine parts get hot and cold they expand and shrink. Paint and plastic do this at different speeds so if you don't protect the parts you run the risk of it flaking off. Sanding helps a little basically by giving the paint more surface area to adhere to.

So the thing you need to think about is how long you want it to last. The more prep and protection you do the longer it will last.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:47 PM
Srivero297

Originally posted by gundam02
Yes, if you DIY, adhesion promoter is something you really want to do. Basically it's like putting glue between the base coat and the plastic. It keeps the paint from chipping or peeling off the plastic and it also helps with the heat in the engine. As engine parts get hot and cold they expand and shrink. Paint and plastic do this at different speeds so if you don't protect the parts you run the risk of it flaking off. Sanding helps a little basically by giving the paint more surface area to adhere to.

So the thing you need to think about is how long you want it to last. The more prep and protection you do the longer it will last.
Someone told me that adhesion promoter = primer. Then someone else told me they are two entirely different things. When painting plastics, should I use just adhesion promoter, or both? and if both, what order should I use them in (including sanding)???
Old 11-15-2004, 01:16 PM
gundam02

Someone told me that adhesion promoter = primer. Then someone else told me they are two entirely different things. When painting plastics, should I use just adhesion promoter, or both? and if both, what order should I use them in (including sanding)???
Ok, first adhesion promoter does NOT = primer. Primer is used for a few things. Here's a couple....

1. When you have a rough surface primer gives you a base that can be sanded smooth usually easier then the surface you are painting.
2. Primer can be used to add depth or color hues in the base color you plan to use.
3. Primer can be used as a surface prep to give paint something to adhere to.

Now #3 is where people confuse adhesion promoter and primer. Primer creates a great surface for the base coat to adhere to, however what makes the primer stick to the surface?? With plastics things get significantly more dicey. Not many paints like to stick to plastics. One of the biggest reasons are the oils used in the making of the plastics, those in the die and in the plastic itself.

The use of primer is based apon what you are trying to accomplish. In this case you do not need a primer coat. If you do go primer you will still need to prep the surface for that primer. To prep the surface you can do a few things. Sanding is one of them. But one of the best things you can do is to wash the part in a good degreaser or in isopropyl alcohol (once you do this there is no going back, the wash will suck out the oils in the plastic). Then after that you can add the adhesion promoter and then the primer if you so wish to. The adhesion promoter will make the paint last longer. But it is not required. None of this is required, it is all depending on how long you want it to last and how good you want it to look.