Notices
Feedback & Suggestions for Our Forum This is NOT a place to ask car/modification questions!
For posting feedback, suggestions or comments regarding our My350Z.com forum.

Can People Stop Using the Racist Term, "Jap"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 05:48 PM
tattoo60012

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atar350
I've been to San Luis quite a bit as a kid, used to live in Gilroy a while, there are probably meets inbetween us like San Jose area and San Fran, if you get that close let me know....and since I am turning 21 this april....I can actually buy you one
Rock and roll, my only regret is my Z doesn't fit in the overhead compartment, so I will likely be rolling in a rental. I'll keep you posted when I figure out dates and what not.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:50 PM
tattoo60012

Originally Posted by Black Duck
Hmmmm.........q the music........Love is in the air.....
You're just jealous, which you shouldn't be.......... So Ahhhhhhhhh, what are you wearing JK If I find someplace with Carlsberg on tap I'll buy one whether you are there or not
Old 03-18-2007, 09:05 PM
DXJP

Originally Posted by cubu
lol, its hard to imagine that they could be so racist, are you white?
Yes and its just not towards me its twards all non japanese.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:18 PM
michaeljr6

jdm peepee is soooo sm***
Old 03-19-2007, 12:56 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

any term used with a negative tone may be taken as derogatory, don't be offended unless its use in a negative way.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:03 AM
Black Duck

Originally Posted by tattoo60012
You're just jealous, which you shouldn't be.......... So Ahhhhhhhhh, what are you wearing JK If I find someplace with Carlsberg on tap I'll buy one whether you are there or not
Cheers, mate.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:52 AM
imjdoggie

Originally Posted by DXJP
I have lived in japan for 13 years and you dont have the fogyest clue of what they think of you.

First they call you a gaijin which is derogatory for foriener.

Then they have a clause in most rental aggrements that goes NO PETS< NO FORIENERS

Now image for the past 13 years being greeted with gaijin. Now imagine for 13 years almost anywhere you go someone has to start up a conversation about the US or Gaijin and they make sure you and every one in hearing distance hears it.

Now I have beaten my share of JAP punks and ill give you a for instance.

One day were sitting in Deneys ( Not a damn thing on the US menu is on theirs so much for american food) There was myself and 2 friends. One is black and stands about 7'3" and the other of normal build. So were sitting their waiting for the racist waiter to come take our order ( We were sat at a dirty table while there was at least 10 clean booths available). So two tables over a few punks start up a conversation about blacks spesificly using the N word. ( sorry to say but any english cuss word can and is used on general tv)

Now dont take this the wrong way as I want to use My friends exact quote.

So my friend Mr. A stands up and walks over to their table and takes a handfull of their frys and while hes eating them he askes in english " So what the f--k you want to know about N-----s. Well they were bewilder exept for the N word so in perfect Japanese he asks them again.

This continued out into the street as we were told to leave Deneys becouse we were upsetting their customers.

If you have a problem with the word Jap just stop in sometime and get a real sence for what they think of you.

I would also like to ad. I own a house that I built, Land, A buisness, have a wife, and two halfbreed kids. I pay more taxes than the average joe and I am active in the PTA. So why for all I have done should I still have prejidisis put upon me. If and when they can stop being the racist bunch they are then mabey my feelings would change, I mean you meet someone one day and call them the next and if you dont say your the gaijin they just met they dont have a clue who you are.

Oh sorry for the long post but did you now there are invisable people in japan. Thats right just walk up to any counter and wiat in line one if not more will walk right past you like your invisable and the *** at the counter will ignore you too.

PS too damn tired to Sp

Yea so STFU JAP!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 01:19 PM
live2themaxuk

jap in itself is not racist, it is how it is used.

i, use it affectionatly, like people do, brits, pomps, yanks, auzzies etc. i cant see why it counjors up images and negative feelings, though, i guess it depends on the individual, but, please, it should be read in the context it is used...

jamie
Old 03-19-2007, 03:07 PM
Black Duck

Jamie - what is a Pomp?? Or did you mean pom.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:49 AM
live2themaxuk

thats the one
Old 03-20-2007, 10:25 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dmroberson
I'm no intellectual, but, I'm Japanese, and Korean. If you look at the history of the abbreviation, "Jap" has always been used as a derogatory word when referring to someone of Japanese descent, much like the "N-word", when referring to someone of African descent. That's why it's viewed as negative.

Just like the word "oriental", when referring to an asian person, is also a derogatory word. "Oriental" in it's original definition, describes a "non-living, tangible object, originating from the Orient." By referring to an asian person as Oriental, essentially, you're calling them a worthless piece of property. It may not be what you're actually saying, but it can be construed that way.

Personally, I don't worry too much about it. I think it's only racist, if it's used that way.

Younger members may not be aware of the history of the condescending word JAP. Several generations have passed since WWII. Still, I do not use the term.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:44 AM
tylerdurden07

I'm racist to everyone dammit... I don't give a $h!t.. White, black, brown, yellow, purple, green, it's all the same to me.. I myself am a mix breed of 3 different nationalities so I hate everyone equally..
Old 03-21-2007, 04:17 PM
fearindrive

statement retracted
Old 03-26-2007, 04:22 PM
cali_z_owner

Originally Posted by spf4000
I've been seeing people use the term "Jap" quite frequently on this site, and it's really starting to bother me. "Jap" is a racist term to describe Japanese, and it's no different from someone using the n-word.

If people want to shorten the word Japanese or Japan because they are too lazy to type, there's a perfectly valid abbreviation -- JPN.

/Rant
A Japanese-American has all the educational and occupational opportunities that blacks had to fight their assess off to get. No, the n-word is not even in the same zip code as "JAP". Most people that use the word "Jap" don't even know its perceived as slur, so get over yourself.

This is racism -
https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/256621-my-car-got-owned-last-night.html
Old 03-26-2007, 05:11 PM
kaizenro1

Wow. One person posts asking to stop using a word that can offend someone and the closet racists come out of the woodwork trying to justify their actions and then continue to try to offend people.

I am half Japanese and white and while I never come running down the street trying to whoop up on some *** when hearing it, I just shake my head in the ignorance that parents passed on.

Let's see what fire burns after my post now.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:02 PM
atar350

I'm just amazed at the people that think its the way you use it, the N word goes back along time, and was used the same way the term we are discussing now is being used, can you please show me how to correctly use niqqer in a sentence and not offend someone? Since you can use Jap correctly, try and use other derogatory terms "in context". I dont understand why the word Jap seems a cleaner word to use then niqqer, raghead, *****, ching chong, cracker, honky, all of it...Its not JUST how the word is used, if you cant get that through your head you have no hope, or your just an ******* lol.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:04 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Is it enough yet?

After two weeks and over 150 posts, can I change the subject to "Can People Stop Debating the use of the Racist Term, "Jap""?
Old 03-27-2007, 02:14 PM
LouiZ

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
Funny thing is, it is Asians that say this more than anyone.
yea lol its kinda like how black people call each other the N word...its normal to them but im vietnamese and if i were to b called a "viet" i dont see how it would offend me in any way...the only thing that would offend me is if i were to be called a gook or a *****...but anything else i dont see the big problem? my friend is part japanese and wen he plays games and creates characters he always has the word JAP_(so and so) in his name.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:16 AM
Black Duck

Originally Posted by LouiZ
yea lol its kinda like how black people call each other the N word...its normal to them but im vietnamese and if i were to b called a "viet" i dont see how it would offend me in any way...the only thing that would offend me is if i were to be called a gook or a *****...but anything else i dont see the big problem? my friend is part japanese and wen he plays games and creates characters he always has the word JAP_(so and so) in his name.

You are missing the point.

Gook, Dink etc were all slang words used by Americans & Australians in the Vietnam war. In WWII The Japanese were referred to as Jap's by the British and Americans. Both are obviously derogatory terms.

The OP says he doesn't like the term being used so I think everyone should accept it and lets close this thread.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:36 AM
RBlover69

werd u try convincing a veteran thats been in any WW to not use the term jap!!!! lol

Quick Reply: Can People Stop Using the Racist Term, "Jap"?