Notices
Feedback & Suggestions for Our Forum This is NOT a place to ask car/modification questions!
For posting feedback, suggestions or comments regarding our My350Z.com forum.

Can People Stop Using the Racist Term, "Jap"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 04:29 PM
702Fairlady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of you have waaay to much time on your hands. If all you have to worry about is that someone called you a gook, *****, cracker, whitey, honkey, wetback, or ******, then you dont have many problems. I am not a racist and dont use these terms, but if I'm walking down the street and someone calls me a honkey white cracker, I dont stop and bust out into tears, I just go on about my day. I could care less what you think about my heritage or if you like it. I mean if people on the site were saying I hate these worthless jap F***ers and they suck, etc, you might have a reason to get your superman nuthuggers in a bunch, but I just dont see the big deal over this so called "racist" term being used to describe freakin car parts.

/rant
Old 03-14-2007, 05:48 PM
tattoo60012

Just to clarify, if someone were to write a country song about a japanese cowboy, and they called it "Honkey Tonk Ba Donkey Jap" would that be offensive, and who should be offended by it?
Old 03-14-2007, 06:47 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 702Fairlady
Some of you have waaay to much time on your hands. If all you have to worry about is that someone called you a gook, *****, cracker, whitey, honkey, wetback, or ******, then you dont have many problems. I am not a racist and dont use these terms, but if I'm walking down the street and someone calls me a honkey white cracker, I dont stop and bust out into tears, I just go on about my day. I could care less what you think about my heritage or if you like it. I mean if people on the site were saying I hate these worthless jap F***ers and they suck, etc, you might have a reason to get your superman nuthuggers in a bunch, but I just dont see the big deal over this so called "racist" term being used to describe freakin car parts.

/rant
I myself don't worry at all...
But if someone were to call me "*****" , "Gook", "Jap" or "Nip" while I was walking down the street, I'd lay him the fug down or get scuffed up trying.

I do agree that it's all about how it's used.

Originally Posted by tattoo60012
Just to clarify, if someone were to write a country song about a japanese cowboy, and they called it "Honkey Tonk Ba Donkey Jap" would that be offensive, and who should be offended by it?
If that someone was like Toby Kieth, hell I'd be offended. I'm not even Japanese.

Last edited by 35oZephyR; 03-14-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:01 PM
jdm_Z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think whoever uses the term should respect the original op's wish. we all respect eachother right?
Old 03-14-2007, 07:22 PM
350zroadster

Why use it when there are perfectly available alternatives like japanese, JPN.
Unless you're saying you can't learn, even dogs learn new tricks

HELL, JP is two letters, shorter!
Old 03-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Case and point...this is life, if you think everyone is gonna stop using a term because it hurts your feelings then you've got another thing coming. You've also got larger problems because you're *****ing(on the internet non-the-less) about someone using a so called "racist" term towards inanimate objects!!!(cars and parts)
Old 03-14-2007, 10:22 PM
I1DER

Originally Posted by jdm_Z33
I think whoever uses the term should respect the original op's wish. we all respect eachother right?
Great idea. So I wish a couple of you wouldn't be so politically correct and too lazy to try and understand if people are slurring something or not. Please respect my right. Didn't you learn the nursery rhyme "sticks and stones may break my bones but WORDS will never hurt me"? There is a point to it.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:04 AM
y_b_lamron

Originally Posted by I1DER
Sorry, I get PO'd at the new PC culture norms.

agreed.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:42 AM
davidc

I just find it ironic that we all love the 350Z a JAPANESE car.
Folks words do hurt. Maybe you have never experienced it jet, but the world takes a lot of turns and soon the US majority will likely be Hispanic
Old 03-15-2007, 10:53 AM
danisr1
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by davidc
I just find it ironic that we all love the 350Z a JAPANESE car.
Folks words do hurt. Maybe you have never experienced it jet, but the world takes a lot of turns and soon the US majority will likely be Hispanic
your in miami so not much will change for you
Old 03-15-2007, 11:28 AM
yoichi

I am indeed 100% born and raised japanese and I see alot of the term "Jap" used in this forum alot. I know people don't use it offensively but can obviously tell that they don't realize its a racist term to describe the japanese or they are just plain ignorant. There aren't that much japanese people in the US to even correct people of using this term. I even know that there is a shop that has this term included. Even my high school history teacher used that term. The point is that alot of people are hopefully using this term unknowingly but the fact of the matter is that most people on this forum do own japanese cars and by using the term jap just makes them look that much uneducated. Think about it you're putting down something that the japanese made and you own it and are putting down. thats how i see it from being japanese
Old 03-15-2007, 01:41 PM
tattoo60012

The interesting thing about this whole discussion is that it is based on the premise that people from one country are as a whole tolerant of people from other countries. One person made the statement that a person who does not know the culture and heritage of another country is either racist or uneducated. To that person I say, how dare you question my intelligence education or anything else based solely on my knowledge of a culture that I am not part of. That's every bit as shortsighted and intolerant as an American (notice I didn't specify race) visiting another country and being offended that the country he was visiting did not cater to his expectations of what society should do for him. IE; visiting England and being referred to as a Yankee, or a Colonist, or a mainland American in Hawaii being referred to as a Howly (sp?), or a White guy in Mexico being called a Gringo. If I don't want to be called a Gringo, perhaps I should keep my white A$$ the Puck out of Mexico.

To the OP, and anyone else who thinks the world should bend because their feelings get hurt over the use of a word that is obviously not intended the way they are taking it, please take a moment to consider the following. Like all things there are 2 sides to every coin, and in the case of words and their meaning one side of the coin is if the user has malice implied with the use of the term, and the other side is if the reader has inferred malice by taking the word out of context.

IE; A Rooster is also known as a ****. If I am speaking to someone about the size of my rooster and I mention in mixed company that I have a large or small **** someone could take offense to that. The word was used properly, and in context, but it is the listener who has perceived the word to be something other than it is. So who is the pervert, the person talking about his prized rooster or the person who believes he is talking about his pianist?

Perhaps it isn't the rest of the world that needs to be more tolerant of each individual set of circumstances, but the people subjected to said circumstances that need to be more tolerant of the world they live in.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:46 PM
cynicalrifleman

If you don't like freedom of speach leave the country.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:08 PM
350zroadster

Originally Posted by cynicalrifleman
haha, freedom of "speach".

you have the smrts
Old 03-15-2007, 05:15 PM
blowdry

I can't believe this thread has kept going. OP get a life! I am so sick of political correctness. Yeeeaaaa for making your post count go up!
Old 03-15-2007, 05:32 PM
drivenCSZ

Originally Posted by davidc
IMaybe you have never experienced it jet, but the world takes a lot of turns and soon the US majority will likely be Hispanic

are you being racist? haha, sounds like somebody replacing a y with a tony montana "J" hahaa

get over it. And the hispanic population has just barely taken over the african american population at less than 15%. IM sure in miami its like 95% though. this a god damn car forum not martha stewarts blog.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:33 PM
tattoo60012

actually I don't think the OP has posted to this thread for a while. But, as long as I can add 1 to my post count i'll reply again, of course the OP could just lock the thread so people would stop ripping on him. Oh wait that was me.......... Whatever You know what they say there's no defense like (places his fingers in his ears) LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 06:18 PM
lunartick13

I am Mexican and when someone reffers to me as a Mex, I find that not to be offenssive because I know it`s not ment to be an insult but if I were Japanese and some reffer to me as a Jap, I would be offended cause most people use it as an insult.. my 2 cents..
Old 03-15-2007, 06:32 PM
bonusfrag

Originally Posted by ECKZLNT
I thought JAP was for Jewish-American Princess?
JAP can and does in fact stand for Jewish American Prince or Princesses. It is a known term within even the Jewish American community. Anyone's who went to high school in Montgomery County, MD should know this.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:35 PM
bonusfrag

Originally Posted by cynicalrifleman
Allow me to exercise my freedom of speech. You are a fkcing moron. Please put a bullet in what call your head and end it. Now celebrate that.

Last edited by bonusfrag; 03-15-2007 at 06:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Can People Stop Using the Racist Term, "Jap"?