Notices
Feedback & Suggestions for Our Forum This is NOT a place to ask car/modification questions!
For posting feedback, suggestions or comments regarding our My350Z.com forum.

Can People Stop Using the Racist Term, "Jap"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 06:38 PM
suv11186

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand. Yet I don't. Really, who cares anymore?! I'm about as "mutty" as they come. Asian, American, Irish...and a few others. You can call me anything you want. As long as it's not a threat of any sort...Who really cares? My .02c
Old 03-15-2007, 06:38 PM
atar350

Originally Posted by tattoo60012
The interesting thing about this whole discussion is that it is based on the premise that people from one country are as a whole tolerant of people from other countries. One person made the statement that a person who does not know the culture and heritage of another country is either racist or uneducated. To that person I say, how dare you question my intelligence education or anything else based solely on my knowledge of a culture that I am not part of. That's every bit as shortsighted and intolerant as an American (notice I didn't specify race) visiting another country and being offended that the country he was visiting did not cater to his expectations of what society should do for him. IE; visiting England and being referred to as a Yankee, or a Colonist, or a mainland American in Hawaii being referred to as a Howly (sp?), or a White guy in Mexico being called a Gringo. If I don't want to be called a Gringo, perhaps I should keep my white A$$ the Puck out of Mexico.

What kind of ****ing moron would call you a yankee or colonist in england? Probably someone with the same intelligence as you....The "country" or "heritage" that started the term this whole thread is about is the one you are in, you surely are educated about your own heritage, so you should know that the term Jap is derogatory and has always been meant to be a slur against japanese people. Just say it outloud, Jap Car, Jap Parts, that sounds bad, if you dont think so then continue to be ignorant. I dont know what idiot said you are either racist or uneducated for not knowing another countries heritage, but we are talking about our own heritage coming up with the term, lets not forget that. You can go to Mexico all you want, get called gringo all you want, but **** the ingorant bastards who use that term, **** those who say Jap(if you even say Jap outside my350z which I doubt), if Yankee or colonist is even used in England, that simply amazes me with how stupid that is.

To the OP, and anyone else who thinks the world should bend because their feelings get hurt over the use of a word that is obviously not intended the way they are taking it, please take a moment to consider the following. Like all things there are 2 sides to every coin, and in the case of words and their meaning one side of the coin is if the user has malice implied with the use of the term, and the other side is if the reader has inferred malice by taking the word out of context.

Whats with alot of you having this tough guy mindset of, "quit crying", "pull your panties out of a bunch", this isnt about that at all, no ones feelings are getting hurt, this is just a discussion, be a ****ing adult and discuss the issue, not run to the "suck it up" defense.

IE; A Rooster is also known as a ****. If I am speaking to someone about the size of my rooster and I mention in mixed company that I have a large or small **** someone could take offense to that. The word was used properly, and in context, but it is the listener who has perceived the word to be something other than it is. So who is the pervert, the person talking about his prized rooster or the person who believes he is talking about his pianist?

When has **** ever been used to denote any race?

Perhaps it isn't the rest of the world that needs to be more tolerant of each individual set of circumstances, but the people subjected to said circumstances that need to be more tolerant of the world they live in.

Where did you quote this from? I think everyone has been pretty tolerant of the words use, now there is a discussion about it, its as simple as that, I think everyone knows they should be tolerant of the world they live in because its hard to change the world.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:43 PM
atar350

Originally Posted by bonusfrag
Allow me to exercise my freedom of speech. You are a fkcing moron. Please put a bullet in what call your head and end it. Now celebrate that.
Pretty funny, this discussion isnt even about freedom of SPEECH, but dumb people run to dumb played out defenses.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:47 PM
atar350

Originally Posted by Santacruzslick
Ehh...you all can rant and rave about being politically correct all you want. I'll continue to use these so called "derogatory" terms. In my opinion, it's not derogatory unless you mean it to be. There's a big difference between saying "Hey nigger!" and "What up nigga?!" Same goes for the term Jap. If you're trying to insult someone by calling them a Jap then yes, it is derogatory. But being on a Z website referring to a car as Jap should in no way be found as derogatory...and if you take offense to something like that then maybe you need to be in a little bubble separating you from the rest of the world.

Edit: yes, I bypassed the filters to post this but only to make my point. lol
I wanna know how many times you use Jap outside the forum to describe anything Japanese, and how many times you others use it outside the forum that think the term is not offensive...the term is offensive, no one is crying you big bullies, we are on a FORUM discussing something in a part of the FORUM that it should be discussed. You do know what a forum is for right? And yes this is a Z website, but just like every other forum on the net, there are areas designated to OTHER topics...
Old 03-15-2007, 07:17 PM
tattoo60012

Originally Posted by atar350
What kind of ****ing moron would call you a yankee or colonist in england? Probably someone with the same intelligence as you....The "country" or "heritage" that started the term this whole thread is about is the one you are in, you surely are educated about your own heritage, so you should know that the term Jap is derogatory and has always been meant to be a slur against japanese people. Just say it outloud, Jap Car, Jap Parts, that sounds bad, if you dont think so then continue to be ignorant. I dont know what idiot said you are either racist or uneducated for not knowing another countries heritage, but we are talking about our own heritage coming up with the term, lets not forget that. You can go to Mexico all you want, get called gringo all you want, but **** the ingorant bastards who use that term, **** those who say Jap(if you even say Jap outside my350z which I doubt), if Yankee or colonist is even used in England, that simply amazes me with how stupid that is.
Sounds to me like someone needs to get out from Mom and Dads house and travel a bit. If you remember AMERICAN HISTORY class in school, The US started out as 13 English colonies, and yes some Brit's to this day still refer to Americans as colonists or Yankees. (Where I went to school they only taught American history, I’m currently petitioning to have them add Japanese history, Mexican history, Chinese history, and the history of every other country out there to be taught in our schools........ Oh wait, no I'm not because that is ridiculous.) As far as the whole "our heritage" thing goes, I was never raised to think badly of anyone based on ethnicity, educational background, or anything else. Honestly I remember seeing Jap used as a normal abbreviation for Japan when I was in school, and there was no malice associated with it then, and I don't attach malice to it now.

I'm sorry your heart is currently bleeding for this person, that person, the other person, but for myself I'm not going to feel bad about the past that I wasn't involved in. I refuse to accept responsibility for the actions of my ancestors and try to "make up" for what happened years before I was ever born. I'm not going to "give reparations" for what my ancestors may or may not have done, I will however do what I think is right when the opportunity arises.

It's called reality kid, get used to it. Mommy and Daddy aren't going to be everywhere to coddle you for the rest of your life. All you're doing is proving how truly ignorant you are about the world around you. Play the sensitivity game all you like, but the REALITY is that being overly sensitive to other people’s perceptions is a waste of time and energy. We should be far more concerned with the usage of the terms as opposed to the terms themselves. To loosely Quote George Carlin: The words in and of themselves are harmless, they're just words, and they can't hurt you. People are always concerned about good words and bad words, but what they really should be concerned about is the racist basturd using the words, that's where the problem is.

When has **** ever been used to denote any race?
It's called metaphor. Look it up.

Where did you quote this from? I think everyone has been pretty tolerant of the words use, now there is a discussion about it, its as simple as that, I think everyone knows they should be tolerant of the world they live in because its hard to change the world.

For the record the last line so far as I know is not a quote from anyone or anything that I'm aware of. It's called an original thought and perhaps if you attempted to have one of your own once in a while you wouldn't be responding like an ignorant, immature, scarcely educated A-hole. When you grow up a few more years perhaps you will open your eyes to the reality of the world around you rather than concentrating on your own little microcosm you've fashioned for yourself. (I loosely borrowed the microcosm bit from the movie Clerks. Kevin Smith rules)

Your turn atar350

Last edited by tattoo60012; 03-15-2007 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:25 PM
tattoo60012

Pretty funny, this discussion isnt even about freedom of SPEECH, but dumb people run to dumb played out defenses.
Agreed this isn't a discussion about freedom of speech, but when will the censorship end? If you remove Jap from the language then the racist blitch will just use a different word. Oh wait, but then we can get rid of that word too...... I got an idea, why don't we get all democratic about it and vote for what words and abbreviations will or will not be part of the english language. We can line them all up and then we can rank them on a scale from Emo Ghey to Uber Noice. Or we can just get over ourselves and toughen up.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:05 PM
blowdry

I vote yes

Or we can just get over ourselves and toughen up.

Dang i need to get my post count up!

:back to lurking:
Old 03-16-2007, 12:06 AM
tattoo60012

Originally Posted by blowdry
I vote yes

Or we can just get over ourselves and toughen up.

Dang i need to get my post count up!

:back to lurking:
Can I vote double question mark exclamation point? That would be SWEET. Currently working on growing my post count!!
Old 03-16-2007, 12:28 AM
blowdry

Absolutely NOT! That would be WAISIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??!!!!
Old 03-16-2007, 12:36 AM
justock

Default Plain and simply we don't need any of these terms

“Jap” and “Nip” were used during World War II to dehumanize and stereotype Japanese and Japanese Americans as unscrupulous and cold blooded. The stereotype was used to rationalize arresting and imprisoning in internment camps 100,000 Japanese Americans—that’s right U. S. citizens. These camps were surrounded by barbed wire and located in deserts and other inhospitable places. My mother was in one of these camps for three years as a kid.

Jap is offensive.

There is no need to use racist, anti-religious, anti-nationality or anti-ethnicity terms in this forum.

Internet tough guys come to my neighborhood and act tough.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:57 AM
blowdry

Just wow lol
Old 03-16-2007, 04:53 AM
djnc

OMG!...who cares?!...call me a ****** and make it even...who even says "jap" anyway?
Old 03-16-2007, 05:31 AM
Black Duck

QUOTE What kind of ****ing moron would call you a yankee or colonist in england? Probably someone with the same intelligence as you....The "country" or "heritage" that started the term this whole thread is about is the one you are in, you surely are educated about your own heritage, so you should know that the term Jap is derogatory and has always been meant to be a slur against japanese people. Just say it outloud, Jap Car, Jap Parts, that sounds bad, if you dont think so then continue to be ignorant. I dont know what idiot said you are either racist or uneducated for not knowing another countries heritage, but we are talking about our own heritage coming up with the term, lets not forget that. You can go to Mexico all you want, get called gringo all you want, but **** the ingorant bastards who use that term, **** those who say Jap(if you even say Jap outside my350z which I doubt), if Yankee or colonist is even used in England, that simply amazes me with how stupid that is. QUOTE

Wow, just wow! Have you ever been out of America????

I am British and it is common for British people to refer to Americans as Yanks. Although I don't do it myself.

The British were the ones who first started using the term Jap.

Last edited by Black Duck; 03-16-2007 at 05:33 AM.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:27 AM
tattoo60012

Originally Posted by Black Duck
QUOTE What kind of ****ing moron would call you a yankee or colonist in england? Probably someone with the same intelligence as you....The "country" or "heritage" that started the term this whole thread is about is the one you are in, you surely are educated about your own heritage, so you should know that the term Jap is derogatory and has always been meant to be a slur against japanese people. Just say it outloud, Jap Car, Jap Parts, that sounds bad, if you dont think so then continue to be ignorant. I dont know what idiot said you are either racist or uneducated for not knowing another countries heritage, but we are talking about our own heritage coming up with the term, lets not forget that. You can go to Mexico all you want, get called gringo all you want, but **** the ingorant bastards who use that term, **** those who say Jap(if you even say Jap outside my350z which I doubt), if Yankee or colonist is even used in England, that simply amazes me with how stupid that is. QUOTE

Wow, just wow! Have you ever been out of America????

I am British and it is common for British people to refer to Americans as Yanks. Although I don't do it myself.

The British were the ones who first started using the term Jap.
Thank you for backing me on that one.

FWIW, outside of this thread I've never used the term jap to describe anything on this forum, for that matter I can't recall ever even seeing the term jab be used anywhere on this forum, and the last time i've said it out loud was to refer to a cheaply made item which I lovingly referred to as "jap crap" and that was because it rhymed, not to impose any kind of racial stereotype or other meaning other than to describe the item in question as being a piece of crap.

That being said, I bring you this musical interlude:
(sing to the tune of Rappers Delight by the Sugarhill Gang)
JIP JAP A JIPPITY TO THE JIPPITY JIP JIP JAP, YOU JAP JAP THE JIPPY, YOU JIP JIP THE JAPPY.................... Ok, that's as far as I got, but you get the idea. If anyone else wants to finish it up you are more than welcome.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:13 AM
blowdry

In all honesty I don't use the word. I just found this thread useless. :such and such: offends me, please use this :insert: instead.

Come on it's an import car forum. This forum is so racist, soooo racist we buy JPN cars!
Old 03-16-2007, 08:16 AM
hardrock905

Originally Posted by justock
Internet tough guys come to my neighborhood and act tough.
Yeah.....from the looks of the pic in your avatar, you live in a pretty tough hood alright.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:11 AM
justock

Originally Posted by hardrock905
Yeah.....from the looks of the pic in your avatar, you live in a pretty tough hood alright.
Look it up.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:15 AM
kostat26

lol this thread makes me laught at japs
Old 03-16-2007, 12:39 PM
I1DER

Originally Posted by Black Duck
Why not? I'm old and I've never thought that "yanks" was derrogatory unless used as a put down.
Oh, oh. What if "yanks" is now politically incorrect. Maybe it would become the Y word. Of course, Yankee there, refers to Americans in general, while Yankee here in the US refers to Northerners. Maybe the politically correct could use a Capital 'Y' for one and a small 'y' for the other. The problem then would be they would have to LISTEN to how the word was INTENDED. Something the lazy just don't want to do.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:44 PM
I1DER

BTW Thanks Black Duck for the post. I can tell you are as amazed as I am.

Quick Reply: Can People Stop Using the Racist Term, "Jap"?