Notices
Feedback & Suggestions for Our Forum This is NOT a place to ask car/modification questions!
For posting feedback, suggestions or comments regarding our My350Z.com forum.

Can People Stop Using the Racist Term, "Jap"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 08:56 PM
atar350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tattoo60012
Sounds to me like someone needs to get out from Mom and Dads house and travel a bit. If you remember AMERICAN HISTORY class in school, The US started out as 13 English colonies, and yes some Brit's to this day still refer to Americans as colonists or Yankees. (Where I went to school they only taught American history, I’m currently petitioning to have them add Japanese history, Mexican history, Chinese history, and the history of every other country out there to be taught in our schools........ Oh wait, no I'm not because that is ridiculous.Hey I agree with you! That would be ridiculous, but this isnt about that) As far as the whole "our heritage" thing goes, I was never raised to think badly of anyone based on ethnicity, educational background, or anything else. Honestly I remember seeing Jap used as a normal abbreviation for Japan when I was in school, and there was no malice associated with it then, and I don't attach malice to it now.

I'm sorry your heart is currently bleeding for this person, that person, the other person, but for myself I'm not going to feel bad about the past that I wasn't involved in. I refuse to accept responsibility for the actions of my ancestors and try to "make up" for what happened years before I was ever born. I'm not going to "give reparations" for what my ancestors may or may not have done, I will however do what I think is right when the opportunity arises. Again I agree with you(I'm going into law enforcement myself), but for someone who doesnt use it in real life, and knows it was derogatory and offends fellow forum members, why use it? I said was derogatory, but it still is.

It's called reality kid, get used to it. Mommy and Daddy aren't going to be everywhere to coddle you for the rest of your life. All you're doing is proving how truly ignorant you are about the world around you. Play the sensitivity game all you like, but the REALITY is that being overly sensitive to other people’s perceptions is a waste of time and energy(I know this, I dont like people in general and give a rats *** about what most think, but this is my350z). We should be far more concerned with the usage of the terms as opposed to the terms themselves. To loosely Quote George Carlin: The words in and of themselves are harmless, they're just words, and they can't hurt you. People are always concerned about good words and bad words, but what they really should be concerned about is the racist basturd using the words, that's where the problem is.

It's called metaphor. Look it up. A sh!tty metaphor at that.

For the record the last line so far as I know is not a quote from anyone or anything that I'm aware of. It's called an original thought and perhaps if you attempted to have one of your own once in a while you wouldn't be responding like an ignorant, immature, scarcely educated A-hole. When you grow up a few more years perhaps you will open your eyes to the reality of the world around you rather than concentrating on your own little microcosm you've fashioned for yourself. (I loosely borrowed the microcosm bit from the movie Clerks. Kevin Smith rules)

Your turn atar350
You're the same broken record that plays internet tough guy all day. Like I said before, whats the first thing people run to on the internet because they are not face to face with people, the tough guy antics. First its about panties in a wad, next its about getting tough about the world we are in, now mommy and daddy coddle me, **** you. I am not suprised at all that you dont use the term Jap inside/outside the forum, I'm sure the other people that you agree with dont either, but since you're on the internet you get to say what you want and **** being politically correct, you'll do whatever you want online, well I myself have more respect for my fellow forum members, my fellow Z owners, and myself, I will not use the term Jap in real life, and I wont use it here, not just because it offends someone else but because I'm no hypocrit.

You sir, like alot of others here dont use the word Jap and probably alot of other words outside the forum, but will use it here and not give a **** about what the others think on here and preach about how we should stop being pussiies and toughen up and what not?

Again, "what kind of moron" would use the term Yankee to describe an american, I said everything I needed to say right there and that was it, I know people still say it and use it, they are worthless, just like those racist baturds you speak of. I am not being sensitive, I dont have my panties in a bunch, we were discussing the use of Jap on the forum, it obviously was/is a derogatory term, you yourself and alot of others dont use Jap or other words other then on my350z, so why not have just a little respect for fellow z owners and not use it on the forum? That simple question turned into this *****ing contest lol.

Last edited by atar350; 03-16-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:37 PM
tattoo60012

I'm not trying to play internet tough guy. I'm the same person face to face as I am across a computer screen. I stand behind what I say, my point was simply that it is not "obviously a derogatory term". If that were the case then this wouldn't be a discussion at all. It would be like the N word, and EVERYONE would know about it, not just people who studied the history of the language and it's origination. I'm merely stating that it's all about intent, and that's where I think we all agree. I don't believe for one second that anyone is trying to offend anyone intentionally, and those that are offended should try to take it in stride.

My only question is you mention that you already know I don't use the term on this forum, so why would you feel the need to ask me to "have a little respect for a fellow Z owner"? I'm already doing what the OP has asked, my only intention in responding was to give a different perspective on the situation and what people are or aren't intending.

It sounds like most of us are on the same page, so can't we all just take our shirts off and give eachother a big heterosexual I wanna be your friend, but not in a gay way, not that there's any problem if you're gay, because I don't want to offend any homosexual Z owners hug?
Old 03-16-2007, 09:52 PM
atar350

Guess it was directed as a general "have respect for your fellow z owner"? I dunno.

BTW, your last statement had so much sarcasm in it, my eyes are burning, but it made me laugh. No hugs needed, lets call it a day, brains are tested, internet manhood has been measured.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:19 PM
tattoo60012

FWIW Sarcasm was not intended in the least. I was trying to be humorous about the whole thing. I guess some of it doesn't translate very well across a computer, but you can't win them all. If you ever find your way toward Chicago, shoot me a PM, I'll buy you a beer and we can make fun of eachother face to face. (kidding about the making fun of eachother, but serious about the beer. Please look me up if you are ever in the neighborhood) BTW I forgot were we measuing girth or length? Cause I'm hung like a hockey puck.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:50 AM
Black Duck

Thank you for backing me on that one.

FWIW, outside of this thread I've never used the term jap to describe anything on this forum, for that matter I can't recall ever even seeing the term jab be used anywhere on this forum, and the last time i've said it out loud was to refer to a cheaply made item which I lovingly referred to as "jap crap" and that was because it rhymed, not to impose any kind of racial stereotype or other meaning other than to describe the item in question as being a piece of crap.

That being said, I bring you this musical interlude:
(sing to the tune of Rappers Delight by the Sugarhill Gang)
JIP JAP A JIPPITY TO THE JIPPITY JIP JIP JAP, YOU JAP JAP THE JIPPY, YOU JIP JIP THE JAPPY.................... Ok, that's as far as I got, but you get the idea. If anyone else wants to finish it up you are more than welcome.

No worries. I agree with everything you've said. I think it is definitely the way the word has been used - the intention has not been to offend.

Personally I have never used the word on here.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:56 AM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lo$t
man i wish life was so easy that all i had to bltch about was racial slurs.

-The lonely cracker

Cracker offends me!

Old 03-17-2007, 05:59 AM
Black Duck

Originally Posted by I1DER
BTW Thanks Black Duck for the post. I can tell you are as amazed as I am.

Yeah I was pretty suprised. Going back to your last question - I don't call Americans Yanks just because I always thought it was used to describe the North and therefore should not be used as a generalization.

However, loads of Brits do. Yank Tank (ie Cadillac) is another favourite. This does not make them morons as the fella in Cali seems to think.

How bout' some cockney rhyming slang to lighten up this thread.

Trouble and Strife = The Wife

Hank Marvin = Starvin' (hungry) ( ie I'm Hank Marvin)

Lady Godiva = Fiver (5 pound note)

Last edited by Black Duck; 03-17-2007 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:10 AM
z350boy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does this mean if you call a homosexual a HO that is ok?????
Old 03-17-2007, 08:40 AM
zownz

Originally Posted by z350boy
Does this mean if you call a homosexual a HO that is ok?????
no but "homo" you ho!
Old 03-17-2007, 09:05 AM
cubu

i don't see the problem if its not meant as a racist remark, i call people the N word all the time even some black folks and they never take offense, sometimes they take a double look but then see that i didn't mean it that way, its the 21st century guys how will we ever get pass racism if we relate these kinds of words with their old and dated racist connotations? some of most racist people i know are minorities, go figure
Old 03-17-2007, 09:12 AM
cubu

a little off topic but why is it that in the US, Viet Nam written as Vietnam? its two separate words, the Vietnamese language only has single syllable words, i've always wondered this, Puerto Rico is not Puertorico, they are Puerto Ricans not Puertoricans ....
Old 03-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

^didn't know that...
It was probably something that just evolved from the way we said it.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:25 PM
hardrock905

When the term "Jap" is used to describe a Japanese car or Japanese car part, I can't see how that could be considered racist in any way. I mean c'mon now. This whole political correctness thing is going way to far IMO.
When the term "Jap" is used to refer to a Japanese person, I can definitely see where that could be taken as a racist comment.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:18 PM
blowdry

This thread is dead to me!!!!! DEAD I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!! DEEEEEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a nice day!
Old 03-18-2007, 08:21 AM
atar350

FWIW Sarcasm was not intended in the least. I was trying to be humorous about the whole thing. I guess some of it doesn't translate very well across a computer, but you can't win them all. If you ever find your way toward Chicago, shoot me a PM, I'll buy you a beer and we can make fun of eachother face to face. (kidding about the making fun of eachother, but serious about the beer. Please look me up if you are ever in the neighborhood) BTW I forgot were we measuing girth or length? Cause I'm hung like a hockey puck.

Sarcasm, humor, same thing lol.

I'll freeze in Chicago, I complain about 50 degree weather, my friends tell me it gets coooooooold there. The offer is extended if you come this way.

Originally Posted by hardrock905
When the term "Jap" is used to describe a Japanese car or Japanese car part, I can't see how that could be considered racist in any way. I mean c'mon now. This whole political correctness thing is going way to far IMO.
When the term "Jap" is used to refer to a Japanese person, I can definitely see where that could be taken as a racist comment.
Just say it out loud, Jap car, Jap auto part, it isnt as bad when you type it, but when you say it out loud it just sounds to me like its doing what the word was meant to do no matter what the intention....denote the japanese. Say, "Thats an awesome Jap car!!" Still sounds bad to me, I agree about Political correctness going to far in the real world, alot of it is BULLSH!T. But on this forum, this particular discussion, we are just talking about it, some of us are calling each other names and stuff but that is how things get worked out amongst men LOL.

Last edited by atar350; 03-18-2007 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:26 AM
tattoo60012

Originally Posted by atar350
Sarcasm, humor, same thing lol.

I'll freeze in Chicago, I complain about 50 degree weather, my friends tell me it gets coooooooold there. The offer is extended if you come this way.
I'm actually planning a trip out to your shoulder of the woods in May. I say your shoulder of the woods, because I'm going to San Luis Obispo, about 4.5 hours south of ya, so to say it's the same neck is a bit of a stretch. If I do have cause to get up that way though I will definitly hit you up, and if there's a meet while I'm out, maybe I'll just go for the Halibut.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:30 AM
atar350

I'm actually planning a trip out to your shoulder of the woods in May. I say your shoulder of the woods, because I'm going to San Luis Obispo, about 4.5 hours south of ya, so to say it's the same neck is a bit of a stretch. If I do have cause to get up that way though I will definitly hit you up, and if there's a meet while I'm out, maybe I'll just go for the Halibut.
I've been to San Luis quite a bit as a kid, used to live in Gilroy a while, there are probably meets inbetween us like San Jose area and San Fran, if you get that close let me know....and since I am turning 21 this april....I can actually buy you one
Old 03-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Black Duck

Hmmmm.........q the music........Love is in the air.....
Old 03-18-2007, 02:23 PM
DXJP

I have lived in japan for 13 years and you dont have the fogyest clue of what they think of you.

First they call you a gaijin which is derogatory for foriener.

Then they have a clause in most rental aggrements that goes NO PETS< NO FORIENERS

Now image for the past 13 years being greeted with gaijin. Now imagine for 13 years almost anywhere you go someone has to start up a conversation about the US or Gaijin and they make sure you and every one in hearing distance hears it.

Now I have beaten my share of JAP punks and ill give you a for instance.

One day were sitting in Deneys ( Not a damn thing on the US menu is on theirs so much for american food) There was myself and 2 friends. One is black and stands about 7'3" and the other of normal build. So were sitting their waiting for the racist waiter to come take our order ( We were sat at a dirty table while there was at least 10 clean booths available). So two tables over a few punks start up a conversation about blacks spesificly using the N word. ( sorry to say but any english cuss word can and is used on general tv)

Now dont take this the wrong way as I want to use My friends exact quote.

So my friend Mr. A stands up and walks over to their table and takes a handfull of their frys and while hes eating them he askes in english " So what the f--k you want to know about N-----s. Well they were bewilder exept for the N word so in perfect Japanese he asks them again.

This continued out into the street as we were told to leave Deneys becouse we were upsetting their customers.

If you have a problem with the word Jap just stop in sometime and get a real sence for what they think of you.

I would also like to ad. I own a house that I built, Land, A buisness, have a wife, and two halfbreed kids. I pay more taxes than the average joe and I am active in the PTA. So why for all I have done should I still have prejidisis put upon me. If and when they can stop being the racist bunch they are then mabey my feelings would change, I mean you meet someone one day and call them the next and if you dont say your the gaijin they just met they dont have a clue who you are.

Oh sorry for the long post but did you now there are invisable people in japan. Thats right just walk up to any counter and wiat in line one if not more will walk right past you like your invisable and the *** at the counter will ignore you too.

PS too damn tired to Sp
Old 03-18-2007, 02:59 PM
cubu

lol, its hard to imagine that they could be so racist, are you white?

Quick Reply: Can People Stop Using the Racist Term, "Jap"?