Notices
Feedback & Suggestions for Our Forum This is NOT a place to ask car/modification questions!
For posting feedback, suggestions or comments regarding our My350Z.com forum.

NWS Avatars

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 02:40 PM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s3fddiZ
It's hard to believe people's employers frown upon scantily clad (but not nude) tiny avatar pics....but don't frown upon being on a car forum during work hours.
Agreed
Old 02-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Electricchild

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I sometimes go on during lunch if I don't go out with co-workers.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:44 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

It's hard to believe people's employers frown upon scantily clad (but not nude) tiny avatar pics....but don't frown upon being on a car forum during work hours.
Large corporate companies like mine have zero tolerance for nudity, but allow casual browsing of t3h interwebs. Browsing through car forums doesn't raise "flags" in the asset protection department. If a manager happened to stroll by employee's cubicle and get an eye full of a scantily clad woman, regardless of size, it would be grounds for them to have asset protection perform an investigation on one's internet activity.

The key to flying under the radar, is to keep it out of sight and out of mind. This is a large community and I'd veture to say half of the members present are actively on the forum during work hours. What it comes down to is those that can and those that can't.

In the real world, "big brother" watches over many of us at work and we can not afford to have what some may deem as not a big deal, seen by our managers. One member decided to make a cordial thread regarding the matter, in the correct section, to view his opinion on the matter. It was discussed in a civil manner and options were given to him as well as others who feel the same sentiments. I for one am against avatars with scantily clad women, simply for the fact that I can not have my manager question me about it. Could I turn off the feature? Yes. Do I want to? No. Seeing avatars and sigs is seeing a piece of the members character. It distinguishes who we are, and it is a recognition factor.

With that being said, personally I realize there are rules and regulations that dictate forum policy. I for one, just like everyone else, does not get to pick and choose which TOU's we wish to be bent to fit our agenda. Therefore, myself and everyone else in my same predicament has the choice to either disable the avatar/sig feature or take our chances at getting caught.....

Last edited by VO...; 02-21-2008 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:18 AM
isaacbush

Originally Posted by vo7848
Large corporate companies like mine have zero tolerance for nudity, but allow casual browsing of t3h interwebs. Browsing through car forums doesn't raise "flags" in the asset protection department. If a manager happened to stroll by employee's cubicle and get an eye full of a scantily clad woman, regardless of size, it would be grounds for them to have asset protection perform an investigation on one's internet activity.

The key to flying under the radar, is to keep it out of sight and out of mind. This is a large community and I'd veture to say half of the members present are actively on the forum during work hours. What it comes down to is those that can and those that can't.

In the real world, "big brother" watches over many of us at work and we can not afford to have what some may deem as not a big deal, seen by our managers. One member decided to make a cordial thread regarding the matter, in the correct section, to view his opinion on the matter. It was discussed in a civil manner and options were given to him as well as others who feel the same sentiments. I for one am against avatars with scantily clad women, simply for the fact that I can not have my manager question me about it. Could I turn off the feature? Yes. Do I want to? No. Seeing avatars and sigs is seeing a piece of the members character. It distinguishes who we are, and it is a recognition factor.

With that being said, personally I realize there are rules and regulations that dictate forum policy. I for one, just like everyone else, does not get to pick and choose which TOU's we wish to be bent to fit our agenda. Therefore, myself and everyone else in my same predicament has the choice to either disable the avatar/sig feature or take our chances at getting caught.....
yea we have had a few situations in the call center i used to work at for that exact same reason
Old 02-22-2008, 09:05 AM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by taurran
Mine is totally work safe.

Perhaps you'd prefer a big hairy set of man-*****?
I guess we'll have to wait for yours to drop then

All, the avatar-disable advice was invaluable. I am now footloose and avatar-free!
Old 03-03-2008, 04:41 AM
taurran

I was just contacted by the mods this morning to change my avatar. I'm not blaming them for this ridiculousness, but rather the members and sorry excuses for employees we have in this forum.

These are the same ones that have avatars saying "BAWLS IN YO MOUF" but feel they have the right to complain about a little cleavage in an avatar. Truly pathetic and selfish of these people. Thanks for contributing to the pussification of this forum. Im glad you weren't inconvenienced by having to disable avatars now.

I vote that since we've taken this into action, we disallow any photos that contain human skin, including those of models posing on cars (such as the ones in every car mag found on every magazine stand in america). These avatars are nothing worse.

In the meantime, I've changed my avatar to something your virgin eyes can handle. Hopefully you and your boss are not offended by animated Disney cleavage.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:51 AM
Z04

I was just contacted by the mods this morning to change my avatar. I'm not blaming them for this ridiculousness, but rather the members and sorry excuses for employees we have in this forum.

These are the same ones that have avatars saying "BAWLS IN YO MOUF" but feel they have the right to complain about a little cleavage in an avatar. Truly pathetic and selfish of these people. Thanks for contributing to the pussification of this forum. Im glad you weren't inconvenienced by having to disable avatars now.

I vote that since we've taken this into action, we disallow any photos that contain human skin, including those of models posing on cars (such as the ones in every car mag found on every magazine stand in america). These avatars are nothing worse.

In the meantime, I've changed my avatar to something your virgin eyes can handle. Hopefully you and your boss are not offended by animated Disney cleavage.
i agree with you. if you are not part of that little "DNF" clan and you have a risque or what can be deemed a bad avatar, you will be asked to take it down or get banned. IMO that is total BS. that is one of the reason the forum banned the use of bad words on here (another censorship of freedom of speech) because they was afraid kids would read it and be offended since this has been deemed by those in power to be a "family" site, yet they allow that DNF crap to go on.

Last edited by Z04; 03-03-2008 at 05:17 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:55 AM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am putting anyone who has been in the "but I am at work" camp on ignore, I hope they do the same.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:06 AM
DomZ

Its hard to believe you fail to see the difference in that. I'm allowed to be on the internet during work hours and we have a filter that blocks most inappropriate stuff. On any other site on Earth I'd feel comfortable with my boss having a passing glance but having an *** in a thong in the upper left area of my screen is probably a no-no.

What I do while I'm at work is not your choice. If my job is slow and I have no work to do I will browse my350z at will and there's not a damn thing you or anyone else can do about it. Enjoy your new avatar.

Originally Posted by Z04
i agree with you. if you are not part of that little "DNF" clan and you have a risque or what can be deemed a bad avatar, you will be asked to take it down or get banned. IMO that is total BS. that is one of the reason the forum banned the use of bad words on here (another censorchip of freedom of spech) because they was afraid kids would read it and be offended since this has been deemed by thos in power to be a "family" site, yet they allow that DNF crap to go on.
When casually browsing from behind - text does not stick out or catch the eye nearly as much as a pair of ***** bouncing on the screen. On the "freedom of speech" issue - how bad do you honestly need to curse that you're upset about asterisks going over the letters? Grow up.

Originally Posted by Sean
I am putting anyone who has been in the "but I am at work" camp on ignore, I hope they do the same.
Congrats on your lame and childish stance on the issue.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:13 AM
Sean

Originally Posted by DomZ
Its hard to believe you fail to see the difference in that. I'm allowed to be on the internet during work hours and we have a filter that blocks most inappropriate stuff. On any other site on Earth I'd feel comfortable with my boss having a passing glance but having an *** in a thong in the upper left area of my screen is probably a no-no.

What I do while I'm at work is not your choice. If my job is slow and I have no work to do I will browse my350z at will and there's not a damn thing you or anyone else can do about it. Enjoy your new avatar.

When casually browsing from behind - text does not stick out or catch the eye nearly as much as a pair of ***** bouncing on the screen. On the "freedom of speech" issue - how bad do you honestly need to curse that you're upset about asterisks going over the letters? Grow up.

Congrats on your lame and childish stance on the issue.
Duck You.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:21 AM
Z04

Originally Posted by DomZ
so using your reasoning, why ban it at all? and it is not just curse words that get the asterisk either. i agree the NWS avatars should not be allowed at all, filter or not. the point is that if you are going to ban one person for it, then equally ban those that do the same and not play favoritism like what goes on here a lot.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:33 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z04
so using your reasoning, why ban it at all? and it is not just curse words that get the asterisk either. i agree the NWS avatars should not be allowed at all, filter or not. the point is that if you are going to ban one person for it, then equally ban those that do the same and not play favoritism like what goes on here a lot.
The ban was for creating a thread calling the mods stupid and trying to argue the point after he was warned and asked to change his avatar a couple times. His girl was banned for calling a mod an *******. We don't just ban people with questionable avatar's. People will get a PM first.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:44 AM
DomZ

Originally Posted by Z04
By my reasoning words in an avatar are a LOT harder to pick out than a big ol' ***. I say if you have a complaint about an avatar voice it and see what the response is. I personally feel like whatever can't be caught in a quick glance is okay for the most part. No employer is ever going to stand over your shoulder and carefully read the words "bawls in yo mouf". It also reflects bad on us because 98% of the people on this site are guys and if a guy has a picture of a girl on a screen it's the end of the world as we know it.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:45 AM
Sean

Originally Posted by ZU L8R
The ban was for creating a thread calling the mods stupid and trying to argue the point after he was warned and asked to change his avatar a couple times. His girl was banned for calling a mod an *******. We don't just ban people with questionable avatar's. People will get a PM first.

My sig has been removed two times within the last month, no PM FYI.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:46 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My sig has been removed two times within the last month, no PM FYI.
who is talking about sig's?
Old 03-03-2008, 05:48 AM
Sean

who is talking about sig's?
Not really a difference in the sig and avatar, both are viewed in every post unless you have dissabled viewing.
And that is what these slacking winers should be doing.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:48 AM
DomZ

+1

Making a thread entitled "stupid mods and their stupidness" is probably not the best way to get your point heard. It still kind of baffles the mind that not having your girl's *** broadcast to the rest of the interwebz is a source of discontent for someone....
Old 03-03-2008, 05:49 AM
CAYENNE2005

I'm glad I am my own boss and don't have to worry about the "not work safe" issues cuz I think these avitars are hilarious! And with all the other BIG pics posted on this sight that are MUCH worse, why the big issue of a 1" x1" pic???? I'll just keep my little steering wheel avitar.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:51 AM
DomZ

Not really a difference in the sig and avatar, both are viewed in every post unless you have dissabled viewing.
And that is what these slacking winers should be doing.
You're missing the point. The difference between text and images is huge. Every other word could be ******** in a thread and I wouldn't even get a second glance at but a set of **** on the screen is like a big bullzeye.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:52 AM
DomZ

Originally Posted by CAYENNE2005
I'm glad I am my own boss and don't have to worry about the "not work safe" issues cuz I think these avitars are hilarious! And with all the other BIG pics posted on this sight that are MUCH worse, why the big issue of a 1" x1" pic???? I'll just keep my little steering wheel avitar.
As was posted before the threads with BIG pics in them are appropriately marked NSFW.