Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS Oil pan pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Zcool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by going deep
Since you have the APS TT kit, its the exact same oil pan right?

That's correct, same oil pan.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:18 AM
Torkaholic

Originally posted by Zcool
After the APS deeper oil pan is installed remember that when checking oil level the dip stick won't read accurately. If you fill oil up to the stock recommended level you will have over filled the crankcase.
You're losing me on that. The stick does not reach any deeper than it did before, the pan is just wider and its bottom is ever so slightly lower than the stock pan, so how would the stick's ability to read correctly be altered??? The upper surface of the oil fill (which roughly coincides with the reading on the stick, ignoring meniscus effects) will be at the same place, just more oil under the surface.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:08 AM
jeffw

Originally posted by Torkaholic
You're losing me on that. The stick does not reach any deeper than it did before, the pan is just wider and its bottom is ever so slightly lower than the stock pan, so how would the stick's ability to read correctly be altered??? The upper surface of the oil fill (which roughly coincides with the reading on the stick, ignoring meniscus effects) will be at the same place, just more oil under the surface.
The only thing I can think of is that the extra oil might slosh differently in a turn, potentially resulting in significant drag on the crankshaft.

--
Jeff
Old 02-11-2005, 11:40 AM
going deep

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jeffw
The only thing I can think of is that the extra oil might slosh differently in a turn, potentially resulting in significant drag on the crankshaft.

--
Jeff
Drag on the crankshaft? That wouldn't be an issue. Take a look at the diagram, number 30 is the upper and lower oil pan. The oil in the lower oil pan would not be able to interfere with the crankshaft.

Last edited by going deep; 02-11-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:10 PM
jeffw

(Looks like you edited your post from the way you first had it implying oil drag would have negligible effect, but here's my response.)

I believe oil drag on the crankshaft is an issue in general. The various baffles in the VQ might keep it from being a problem except in the most extreme cases of over-filling. However, it's definitely something to be concerned with. And I'm sure APS fully explored this issue (and others) and addressed it with both their design and instructions for use.

Ever heard of dry sump conversions? Dry sumps are supposed to gain performance by reducing potential oil drag (as well as allowing the engine to be lowered for lower center of gravity).

More info: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question331.htm

I think I remember a mag testing a Kawasaki ZX10R that had too much oil. Drag on the crankshaft caused considerable loss of speed in the 1/4 mile. They drained the oil a bit and gained speed. Turns out there was a manufacturing problem with the sight glass or dip stick. They took it even further and gained even more speed in the 1/4.

--
Jeff