Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Roots Supercharger w/ Cams

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 11:12 AM
HankVQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roots Supercharger w/ Cams

I am going to be purchasing some form of forced induction for my Z really soon. With the whole CARB thing here in Ca. I'm leaning towards the Stillen Supercharger. I was wondering if swapping the cams would yield gains with this type of supercharger and if so what type of cam would be best? Would cams with good all around gains like the Nismos be best to compliment the low and mid range power of the blower or would cams with a higher peak power like JWT be best to make power where the roots blower tapers off. I'm aware that I would need some other type of engine management besides what comes with the kit but would it be worth it?
Old 03-27-2005, 01:03 PM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

Hank I have heard that engine/exhaust mods do not work very well with the stillen.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:04 PM
7 eleven

Originally Posted by HankVQ
I am going to be purchasing some form of forced induction for my Z really soon. With the whole CARB thing here in Ca. I'm leaning towards the Stillen Supercharger. I was wondering if swapping the cams would yield gains with this type of supercharger and if so what type of cam would be best? Would cams with good all around gains like the Nismos be best to compliment the low and mid range power of the blower or would cams with a higher peak power like JWT be best to make power where the roots blower tapers off. I'm aware that I would need some other type of engine management besides what comes with the kit but would it be worth it?
With this kit the problem is that it is a fixed displacement compressor. What that means to you is that with the limited extra flow available in this kit, once you max out the flow of the blower there is little to gain by reducing the pumping losses of the motor.

In summary that means once you max out the blower youÃÓe not going to get much more power regardless of the other mods. The cams would make a big difference if the blower could support the extra air the motor could use but, this roots is close to maxed out for this size motor right out of the box.

One forum member was looking to use a larger roots to solve this but I have not seen anything posted lately about it.

Gary
Old 03-27-2005, 03:13 PM
schweatty

the HKS SC is CARB approved
Old 03-27-2005, 03:42 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by schweatty
the HKS SC is CARB approved
The HKS can not be modded unless you get another piggy or stand alone. The unit that comes with the kit is locked and can not be tuned.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:09 AM
bascelik

The M62 blower is maxed out, indeed. I was looking at a M90 blower, but custom work required would be more $$$ than a Greddy TT kit, for example (unless you do it yourself). May not be worth it.

Edit: just put 2.74" pulley on the current blower (8.3psi) and that'll be the max safe limit, and you'll be able to handle more CFM airflow .
Old 03-28-2005, 11:40 AM
HankVQ

Originally Posted by bascelik
The M62 blower is maxed out, indeed. I was looking at a M90 blower, but custom work required would be more $$$ than a Greddy TT kit, for example (unless you do it yourself). May not be worth it.

Edit: just put 2.74" pulley on the current blower (8.3psi) and that'll be the max safe limit, and you'll be able to handle more CFM airflow .
So Stillen offers an 8psi. pulley now I thought the stage three 7psi pulley was the max that they offer. 380 whp would be sweet.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:41 PM
mrtomcat

since when is the HKS Carb approved? Last I read was it's still pending
Old 03-28-2005, 01:18 PM
redline350ZZ

Originally Posted by HankVQ
So Stillen offers an 8psi. pulley now I thought the stage three 7psi pulley was the max that they offer. 380 whp would be sweet.
I believe ZNITRO had a 8PSI pulley and was only runing 360-370WHP......

Does the stillen Kit weigh more than the VORTEC kit????
Old 03-28-2005, 04:47 PM
weslutes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, Znitro had a 8.5 pound pulley but he had cams,head work,and headers.With the stock heads(only polished & minor porting),stock cams,and stock exhaust manifolds he probably would have had around 11-12 pounds.Over 400hp should be available.However,you may need to shift sooner due to the SC topping out at 5500(that should be a plus though,right?).
So applying cams to this type of application may not work very well(up top that is).