Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

The Turbonetics S/T is in and MAN what a rush!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 02:28 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kcobean
Oh, and the first person to drive the car (however briefly) w/Turbo besides me was Sharif. It was a great to get his input on the car given his expertise in the field. Maybe he can chime in and give a Pro's impressions.

I just caught up on the thread...read every post. I was also recovering from HIN DC last week, so I am finally all caught up!

First of all, when I first met Kelly and saw his car at ZDAYZ, I said it was the nicest N/A Z I had seen...and now with the turbo kit, its truly amazing. Congrats on all the hard work, and I am glad that Turbonetics and AAM did a fine job pulling everything together in time for HIN.

I really cant say enough good things about AAM. On my trip to DC, I stopped by AAM's shop and finally got to meet Mike, Dave, and their head 350Z mechanic (my applogies..I forgot his name). Just a great operation all around. How many shops have a CNC machine and mandrel pipe bender right there on site...I was like a kid in a candy store.

When I arrived, they were just putting the final touches on the kit, so I got to walk underneath and take a look at the work. The quality and engineering design behind this kit is truely outstanding. For the price people are paying for these kits, you are getting MUCH more than you pay for. I honestly figured the kit would have compromises, in order to meet a price point, but everything was top notch: fit, finish, and alignment were all outstanding. When Kelly's car came to life, it sounded...you guessed it...totally stock; just the way any good turbo car will sound. So Mike swings it from the lift to the in ground dyno...and proceeds to make some baseline pulls. The sounds from the exhuast and BOV were spectacular, and wihtout touching a damn thing...360whp....literally after 4 mins of idling!!

Kelly was nice enough to let me take his car for a spin around the block, and IMHO, the boost pressure builds VERY rapidly for a single, and my seat of the pants dyno tells me you are getting about 90% of the low-end trq of the more expensive TT kits. The power was very linear, and I was very impressed.

Enjoy the car Kelly...and thanks again for letting me take it for a quick spin! Lets do it again sometime.

PS: Mike and Dave..thanks again for dinner, and your kind hospitality.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:00 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Could you ask for a better endorsement?

I'd like to get to around 400whp. Will the kit make more power as the ECU learns?
How do you make more power with this kit (other than turning up the boost)? I doubt you want to crank up the boost much more than 9psi with stock internals. Will other bolt-ons help or just hurt the A/F? How much boost is safe on stock internals and what kind of power can you expect at say 8.5psi or 9psi?
What is the stock out-of-the-box boost on the APS ST and TT kits?
Old 06-28-2005, 05:11 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Enjoy the car Kelly...and thanks again for letting me take it for a quick spin! Lets do it again sometime.
Sharif, you can drive my car anytime you want man. If it wasn't for you, I'd still be out trying to burn off gas to get down to an 1/8th of a tank so I could get in the darn building!
Old 06-28-2005, 05:14 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by 35ounces
Wow! Could you ask for a better endorsement?

I'd like to get to around 400whp. Will the kit make more power as the ECU learns?
How do you make more power with this kit (other than turning up the boost)? I doubt you want to crank up the boost much more than 9psi with stock internals. Will other bolt-ons help or just hurt the A/F? How much boost is safe on stock internals and what kind of power can you expect at say 8.5psi or 9psi?
What is the stock out-of-the-box boost on the APS ST and TT kits?
It sounds like the kits are making more power, after the ECU adjusts. My guess is these cars will be making 380-390whp at 9.5psi or so. Personally, I feel this is the safe limit on stock internals. To turn the boost up, you would need a boost controller, an additional piggyback for tuning...or more reflash work, and most likely some fuel system upgrades.

The APS single T hasnt been installed on a car in the USA, so its too early to tell what kind of power it will make. I would expect roughly the same performance and safety level on both kits. THe APS TT kits are making between 370whp and 410whp out of the box, depending on the other mods you have. As always, take dyno numbers with a grain of salt, since there are far too many variables to compare.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:24 PM
taurran

Just to let you know, I didn't gain any hp after two weeks of ECU 'adjustment'. I'm thinking either my ECU is a retard, or I'm losing power because of the headers. I'm considering jet hot coating my stock manifolds and putting them back on later this year.

I wouldn't recommend anyone install this kit with aftermarket headers.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:46 PM
mdracer76
Banned

Ohh.. look what I found.. Nice thread Kelly. Having rode in the red beast I must say as well, this kit is really great. Mucho power. And.. it looks SICK
Old 06-29-2005, 05:08 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran
Mine is between 11 and 12 all the way to redline. It hovers right around 11.5.

You can check my install thread for my dyno sheet to see the graph.
Mine is between 11.5 and 12.2 up to about 4500 RPM and then it richens up steadily to around 10.5:1 at 5500 RPM where it slowly climbs back to 11.0 at around 6200
Thanks for the info guys Seems like Turbonetics really nailed the A/F's with this kit. I was kinda worried about having to possibly reflash, but at this point it doesnt seem like thats the case. Congrats on your kits guys....
Old 06-29-2005, 08:24 AM
NVthis350

I just had chance to ride in kelly's car. Wow, it's insane. Everything is just pieced together so nicely, the kit, the rims, the intercooler behind the front bumper. SIMPLY INSANE. Thanks again kelly for the opportunity to ride in your beast.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:04 AM
DrVolkl

I think I want this kit. Props guys...this thing is sounding better and better all the time!

Anyone running a lightened flywheel with one of these kits?
Old 06-29-2005, 09:48 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by NVthis350
I just had chance to ride in kelly's car. Wow, it's insane. Everything is just pieced together so nicely, the kit, the rims, the intercooler behind the front bumper. SIMPLY INSANE. Thanks again kelly for the opportunity to ride in your beast.
Anytime man. I actually kept my foot out of it a fair bit because of my boost issue. I almost never had the pedal all the way to the floor. Maybe once that's fixed, we'll go back out and flog it properly.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:29 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Anytime man. I actually kept my foot out of it a fair bit because of my boost issue. I almost never had the pedal all the way to the floor. Maybe once that's fixed, we'll go back out and flog it properly.
Why do you think your gettting 9/9.5 psi boost spikes? If its hot out and your getting it now Id hate to see what you get in the winter...
Old 06-29-2005, 10:37 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Alberto
Why do you think your gettting 9/9.5 psi boost spikes? If its hot out and your getting it now Id hate to see what you get in the winter...
Its being researched now I believe. I think AAM and Turbonetics are working on that...
Old 06-29-2005, 10:42 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by Alberto
Actually, according to my gauge, I'm able to sustain 10 - 10.5 PSI once the turbo spools up all the way to redline. I'm working with Turbonetics on this, and they suspect it's because of my very free flowing exhaust. They've sent me lower pressure wastegate springs to try, and of course, I'm going to install a manual boost gauge to see if I am getting accurate information.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:08 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

Yikes!
Old 06-29-2005, 11:59 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Actually, according to my gauge, I'm able to sustain 10 - 10.5 PSI once the turbo spools up all the way to redline. I'm working with Turbonetics on this, and they suspect it's because of my very free flowing exhaust. They've sent me lower pressure wastegate springs to try, and of course, I'm going to install a manual boost gauge to see if I am getting accurate information.
Oh ok, nice to know they are working with you. Again I am impressed with their customer service. Good luck in resolving this-keep us updated.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:05 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Even at 9-10psi the car was running safely rich, and putting down normal amounts of power. Maybe they can just dial back the timing 1 degree and call it a day?
Old 06-29-2005, 01:12 PM
kcobean

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Even at 9-10psi the car was running safely rich, and putting down normal amounts of power. Maybe they can just dial back the timing 1 degree and call it a day?
Well, that's the wierd thing. If you assume that the boost has been running high all along, then my initial dynos should have been a LOT higher than 360, right? So I'm suspecting the gauge or pressure sensor at this time, but I'm keeping my foot out of it until we know for sure.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:24 PM
NVthis350

yeah kelly, i did sense that you weren't really pushing it. Wow, I wonder what it must
feel like when you floor it. wow.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:42 PM
Z PHAT Z

subscribe! Will install this kit in a week. Great information on this post. Please keep us update on the boost spike.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:48 AM
Sly_Z

I just want to say the car looks sweet Kelly. Nice Job. very impressive.

Quick Reply: The Turbonetics S/T is in and MAN what a rush!!!