Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

The Turbonetics S/T is in and MAN what a rush!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 09:45 PM
Vertex350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow the car looks hot!!! Nicely done ride.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:56 AM
dynamic6er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
I wonder if the fuel pressure valve was modified...it would cause an overly rich condition...
Yep we took care of that. We discussed the possibility of fuel pressure being the issue but were not able to test the pressure. I think I'll try to meet up with Kelly tonight and see if I can test it.

Kelly hit me on AOL to see if we can schedule it up.

Last edited by dynamic6er; 07-07-2005 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:02 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by dynamic6er
Yep we tool care of that. We discussed the possibility of fuel pressure being the issue but were not able to test the pressure. I think I'll try to meet up with Kelly tonight and see if I can test it.

Kelly hit me on AOL to see if we can schedule it up.
Dave I mentioned to Kelly last night that I would try to get my hands on a fuel pressure gauge for him tonight would it be possible for you guys to send him one of your fuel adaptor/spacers for a while to help resolve this. I know he's like an hour away from you guys so I'm trying to help him out where hes at...
Old 07-07-2005, 07:16 AM
dynamic6er

Dave I mentioned to Kelly last night that I would try to get my hands on a fuel pressure gauge for him tonight would it be possible for you guys to send him one of your fuel adaptor/spacers for a while to help resolve this. I know he's like an hour away from you guys so I'm trying to help him out where hes at...
Thanks MIA We're meeting up tonight to install the fuel pressure gauge and block since I live closer to Kelly then he is to the shop. We'll keep you updated.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:17 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Rob, talked to Dave and he is going to meet me tonight and we're going to test this. I'll let you know what we find!
Old 07-07-2005, 08:08 AM
MIAPLAYA

Thanks guys...I've been banging my head againt the wall for the last 12 hours thinking of what it could be and barring that the flash is bad (which doesn't seem right based on the curve) this is the only thing I could think of. I was actually gonna get a gauge from summit and ship to Kelly just to try and get this resolved once and for all. Please do keep us all informed...this is certainly an interesting issue. Now if I could just narrow down an easy path for Peking to follow on his boost issue....
Old 07-07-2005, 10:05 PM
kcobean

No joy. Boost pressure at idle.....52 PSI, right where it should be. AAM has the ECU and it'll be going back to Turbonetics for one more reflash.

EDIT: Oh, and MAD MAD Props to Dave at AAM who actually came to my house to temporarily install the fuel gauge on the car and check pressure. This saved me between 2 and 3 hours on the road today...Beat that customer service!!! Thanks Dave!

Last edited by kcobean; 07-07-2005 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:21 PM
MIAPLAYA

Well there goes my theory...dammit...I can't believe its the reflash. Well I guess we'll see what happens with the flash. Thats certainly VERY wierd...Props to AAM for helping out like that....
Old 07-08-2005, 08:53 PM
kcobean

Man, what a night...Reggie had noted in some pictures of my install that my MAF sensor is upside down from the factory orientation and requested that we rotate it 180 degrees and re-dyno. After driving out to meet Dave to get my ECU back and taking apart the intake from the MAF sensor to the plenum and re-aligning all of the pipes/fittings/clamps and rotating the MAF sensor so that the connector is on top, I've found that the connector now hits the hood (and the wires are really tight, to the point of being unsafe) because it sits so much farther back in the engine bay than the stock location. So, I took it all back apart and rotated the MAF back 90 degrees so that the connector faces the engine (i.e. the sensor is parallel to the ground). I'm going to guess that everyone's MAF sensor is flipped either 90 or 180 degrees, thus I'm not going to dyno tomorrow, but I am going to take the car back up to AAM and leave it so that the ECU can be removed and sent to Turbonetics.

I really hope the re-reflash works. If it proves to be problematic, I might just buy an E-manage and a boost controller and call it a day. While that's a lot of extra cost to get the kit running right, it's more convenient than having to play the coast-to-coast game with the ECU.

Turbonetics has some smart dudes on staff though, so I'm confident that we'll find a resolution for this.
Old 07-09-2005, 05:00 AM
1 2 NV

My MAF connector faces the motor. If I am not mistaken I believe the instructions even say you might have to cut the loom or electrical tape to allow it to be connected to the MAF. So does it seem to run better with the MAF oriented properly?
Old 07-09-2005, 09:14 AM
MIAPLAYA

Mine is the same...MAF faces the engine....
Old 07-09-2005, 10:37 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by 1 2 NV
My MAF connector faces the motor. If I am not mistaken I believe the instructions even say you might have to cut the loom or electrical tape to allow it to be connected to the MAF. So does it seem to run better with the MAF oriented properly?
I got everything hooked up and started the car up before I noticed that the hood wouldn't close, but we didn't dyno it and I never drove it like this. I just got back from AAM and it ran great all the way up there, it just clearly doesn't have the power that it should have. It feels like a 330 WHP car right now.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:38 AM
kcobean

Mine is the same...MAF faces the engine....
Well, given the installers of your kit, it's good to know that mine is now oriented properly!
Old 07-16-2005, 06:29 PM
kcobean

Quick update on this issue...

First of all, I'm very impressed that this has the full attention of both Turbonetics and AAM. I am glad to be in such caring hands and I believe that between the two of them, the answer to this very puzzling mystery will be found.

Where we are now:

After discovering that the 7 PSI WG spring dropped the A/F through the floor (like into the LOW 9's between 4.5K and 6.2K RPM), Turbonetics requested that we replace the boost tube (which needed to be done anyway because the first one had been damaged during shipping. I think this was because there was some concern about the interface of the MAF to the boost tube. Replacement of the tube didn't help however and the ECU is back in Cali for a re-reflash. We're going to re-install the 9 PSI spring as well. I'm still a little puzzled about the high boost, and whether it's ok to continue running this way (according to the manual boost gauge, I was reaching the low 10's), but at least with it in, the A/F ratio was much closer to expected. We should have new graphs mid-week. I'll be sure to share. I can't wait to get this solved and spend some serious time behind the wheel.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:04 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by kcobean

First of all, I'm very impressed that this has the full attention of both Turbonetics and AAM. I am glad to be in such caring hands and I believe that between the two of them, the answer to this very puzzling mystery will be found.

Where we are now:

After discovering that the 7 PSI WG spring dropped the A/F through the floor (like into the LOW 9's between 4.5K and 6.2K RPM), Turbonetics requested that we replace the boost tube (which needed to be done anyway because the first one had been damaged during shipping. I think this was because there was some concern about the interface of the MAF to the boost tube. Replacement of the tube didn't help however and the ECU is back in Cali for a re-reflash. We're going to re-install the 9 PSI spring as well. I'm still a little puzzled about the high boost, and whether it's ok to continue running this way (according to the manual boost gauge, I was reaching the low 10's), but at least with it in, the A/F ratio was much closer to expected. We should have new graphs mid-week. I'll be sure to share. I can't wait to get this solved and spend some serious time behind the wheel.

Again I'm sorry to hear about all this kcobean. I'm sure Turboentics and AAM will get it worked out. I'm really interested to see what the issue is...
Old 07-17-2005, 09:09 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are in good hands, Kelly, I am sure AAM and Turbonetics will sort it out for you. Do you feel like a celebrity yet? With you car at HIN DC, and all the exposure...flashing bulbs, the heads of two performance companies try to help you out.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:37 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Do you feel like a celebrity yet?
Uh, no.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:09 PM
Speed Dreams

Originally Posted by kcobean

Where we are now:

The maf on the vq has been the cause in some cases via damage or wiring during install.
Kelly it's ironic you have waste/pressure air fuel issues as I do as well and thought it was our altitude causing it. We shimmed the waste to 12lbs and still had a 10.8 wot af. Ecu has been reflashed twice by TQ,they claim they leaned the **** out of the tune.I think it's maf related.
I will install a new maf this week and see what changes...I'll keep you posted bro
Tripp
Old 07-18-2005, 12:16 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by Speed Dreams
The maf on the vq has been the cause in some cases via damage or wiring during install.
Kelly it's ironic you have waste/pressure air fuel issues as I do as well and thought it was our altitude causing it. We shimmed the waste to 12lbs and still had a 10.8 wot af. Ecu has been reflashed twice by TQ,they claim they leaned the **** out of the tune.I think it's maf related.
I will install a new maf this week and see what changes...I'll keep you posted bro
Tripp

is there a way for you to tune via a pressure sensor (like w/ the emanage) vs the maf? ---i assume not easily, but wondering if there was a solution that could bypass the maf
Old 07-18-2005, 08:08 AM
SpeedDreamTuner

You could, but i'd rather have a properly tuned MAF car than a MAP. If we could just use a 40 point MAF program, we'd have cars dialed in no time.

Quick Reply: The Turbonetics S/T is in and MAN what a rush!!!