Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS Plenum Results are in!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 01:08 PM
10secapsttz
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APS Plenum Results are in!!!

Well we finally got a chance to dyno the APS plenum on my APS TT Z.
Some history: Were running an APS Twin Turbo kit on a built bottom end with 8.5:1 compression and have maxed out the stock APS wastegate actuator springs at 10.5 psi . We did not know prior to install that the springs APS ships are only good for 10-12 psi. There is a way to get a few PSI more out of them but it requires dropping one of the turbos to make the adjustments so we will just wait for our upgraded selenoids to come in.We were originally tuned at Altered Atmosphere in MD, and were running a very conservative fuel map which put our A/F at about 10.0 @4000 rpms and leaning a bit to an 11.2 from 6500-7400rpms. With this map We made abut 383 whp and 340tq.
I recently upgraded from the Borla TD to the APS 2.5" exhaust and re-dyno'd without any tuning on a 98 degree, very humid day on a DIFFERENT dyno. On this run we realized 395 whp and 359 TQ without any modifications to the tune. Now since it was a different dyno I will not confirm anh HP or TQ gains but I will say the car felt faster and the turbos spooled up so much faster. But since I utilized a different dyno I can only assume on my HP gains. I would say it was safe to assume a 8-10 whp gain with the APS Exhaust over the Borla TD.
Now the fun part comes in. We bolted on an APS tallboy plenum without any modifications to the car or state of tune in similar weather conditions with all the adjustments calibrated to sea level on the exact same DYNO.
We dyno'd at 417 WHP and 362TQ compared to our last dyno of 395 WHP and 359 TQ. We also saw a slightly leaner A/F mixture of .2 to .4 of an A/F point throughout the A/F chart. Which only leads me to one conclusion...
The APS plenum WORKS and produced 23WHP and 3 TQ without ANY further tuning. I must say I was truely impressed and would love to see the gain on a car running higher boost levels and cams and head work. What I find amazing is that APS never once claimed any dyno gains or posted any numbers on their plenum. We were a bit sceptical and went into the DYNO run expecting maybe a few HP but to achieve 23WHP was amazing results. We feel we could pick up an additional 20 WHP by leaning out or rich A/F mixture to a flat 11.5

I will post up my DYNO graphs later when I get back to the shop to scan them.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:13 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice gains....did you maybe gain some hp from lettingthe car cool down during the plenum swap? Maybe that contributed to your nice gains, either way the APS plenum works.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:23 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good gain...glad you like it...APS didnt really need to do any dyno's with it , as the design has already been done and proven to work
Old 08-01-2005, 01:27 PM
10secapsttz
Banned

Originally Posted by Alberto
Nice gains....did you maybe gain some hp from lettingthe car cool down during the plenum swap? Maybe that contributed to your nice gains, either way the APS plenum works.
Yeah, we lett it cool down a week..lol We did the other Dyno last Monday. Todays dyno was done right off the road to the dyno with about 5 mins cool down.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:57 PM
bigbri

What parts are you runing on your z bro...? at 10.5 psi shouldn't your hp be higher than 395?? Just thought that was a low # but maybe I'm wrong....Congrats on the good hp gain with the plenum... can't wait to put mine on...
Old 08-01-2005, 02:14 PM
10secapsttz
Banned

Originally Posted by bigbri
What parts are you runing on your z bro...? at 10.5 psi shouldn't your hp be higher than 395?? Just thought that was a low # but maybe I'm wrong....Congrats on the good hp gain with the plenum... can't wait to put mine on...
8:5-1 compression opposed to stock 10.3:1 compression
Old 08-01-2005, 03:14 PM
SSR Engineering

Originally Posted by 10secapsttz
Well we finally got a chance to dyno the APS plenum on my APS TT Z.
Some history: Were running an APS Twin Turbo kit on a built bottom end with 8.5:1 compression and have maxed out the stock APS wastegate actuator springs at 10.5 psi . We did not know prior to install that the springs APS ships are only good for 10-12 psi. There is a way to get a few PSI more out of them but it requires dropping one of the turbos to make the adjustments so we will just wait for our upgraded selenoids to come in.We were originally tuned at Altered Atmosphere in MD, and were running a very conservative fuel map which put our A/F at about 10.0 @4000 rpms and leaning a bit to an 11.2 from 6500-7400rpms. With this map We made abut 383 whp and 340tq.
I recently upgraded from the Borla TD to the APS 2.5" exhaust and re-dyno'd without any tuning on a 98 degree, very humid day on a DIFFERENT dyno. On this run we realized 395 whp and 359 TQ without any modifications to the tune. Now since it was a different dyno I will not confirm anh HP or TQ gains but I will say the car felt faster and the turbos spooled up so much faster. But since I utilized a different dyno I can only assume on my HP gains. I would say it was safe to assume a 8-10 whp gain with the APS Exhaust over the Borla TD.
Now the fun part comes in. We bolted on an APS tallboy plenum without any modifications to the car or state of tune in similar weather conditions with all the adjustments calibrated to sea level on the exact same DYNO.
We dyno'd at 417 WHP and 362TQ compared to our last dyno of 395 WHP and 359 TQ. We also saw a slightly leaner A/F mixture of .2 to .4 of an A/F point throughout the A/F chart. Which only leads me to one conclusion...
The APS plenum WORKS and produced 23WHP and 3 TQ without ANY further tuning. I must say I was truely impressed and would love to see the gain on a car running higher boost levels and cams and head work. What I find amazing is that APS never once claimed any dyno gains or posted any numbers on their plenum. We were a bit sceptical and went into the DYNO run expecting maybe a few HP but to achieve 23WHP was amazing results. We feel we could pick up an additional 20 WHP by leaning out or rich A/F mixture to a flat 11.5

I will post up my DYNO graphs later when I get back to the shop to scan them.
417WHP @ 10.5 PSI with an exhaust and plenum?

What kind of dyno was this done on.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by booger
Good gain...glad you like it...APS didnt really need to do any dyno's with it , as the design has already been done and proven to work
Crawford maybe?

One thing I like better about the APS plenum is that it is a lot nicer looking than the crawford.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:44 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gman2004
Crawford maybe?

One thing I like better about the APS plenum is that it is a lot nicer looking than the crawford.
Yup Crawford....I havent done a compro...side by side. But they cant be that much diff. looking . Talking about the cast Crawford . The APS has the notch in front
Old 08-01-2005, 04:03 PM
Gman2004

Yup Crawford....I havent done a compro...side by side. But they cant be that much diff. looking . Talking about the cast Crawford . The APS has the notch in front
Sharif did some before and after dynos with the crawford on his greddy and I believe the results were close the APS gains....23-25 more whp.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:02 PM
10secapsttz
Banned

Originally Posted by SSR Engineering
417WHP @ 10.5 PSI with an exhaust and plenum?

What kind of dyno was this done on.
It was on a Dynojet. What is your point?
Old 08-01-2005, 08:04 PM
Speed Dreams

I'm ordering a couple this week for G35 turbo installs since the SSV is sooo back logged.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:05 PM
10secapsttz
Banned

Both plenums make power, but I like the fact that APS engineers all their products to work together and offer different levels of performance. For example, the APS plenum already has provisions marked out for the future placement of 6 additional injectors for their fuel system upgrade to be released by years end. I like the way APS always plans ahead and engineers its parts to all work together...Plus I really do not like mixing components.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:14 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by Speed Dreams
I'm ordering a couple this week for G35 turbo installs since the SSV is sooo back logged.
Would anyone still want the SSV after the independant results? The most hp increase I have seen is 10whp. Not a very smart choice when you compare $$ to hp gained IMO.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:21 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by 10secapsttz
It was on a Dynojet. What is your point?
It was a legitamate questions......read this thread and you will see why? This guy posted a dyno that said he had 455hp at 8.5psi on a stock block with an APS TT. Everyone thought it was whp but we still don't know where the power is being read from.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....6&page=1&pp=20
Old 08-02-2005, 03:48 AM
jpc350z

The APS plenum WORKS and produced 23WHP and 3 TQ without ANY further tuning

Would not the leaner A/F account for the performance gain?
Old 08-02-2005, 04:16 AM
D@ActiveTuning

Originally Posted by Gman2004
It was a legitamate questions......read this thread and you will see why? This guy posted a dyno that said he had 455hp at 8.5psi on a stock block with an APS TT. Everyone thought it was whp but we still don't know where the power is being read from.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....6&page=1&pp=20
It's already been posted why in this thread

He has an 8.5:1 compression which means he needs higher boost for higher gains.

Our normal motors are 10.3:1 compression
Old 08-02-2005, 07:29 AM
symalik

exactamundo, once he upgrades the wastegate then he shall fly away
Old 08-02-2005, 07:29 AM
10secapsttz
Banned

Originally Posted by D@ActiveTuning
It's already been posted why in this thread

He has an 8.5:1 compression which means he needs higher boost for higher gains.

Our normal motors are 10.3:1 compression
Thank you Dave, That would be the THIRD time that was brought to the readers attention. I guess some people dont fully read the threads before they ask questions.

So once again: My motor is a built bottom end with compression almost 2 full points lower than stock, this accounts for the low numbers at 10.5 psi, if my motor was a stock one I would be closer to 480 whp. Stay tuned for a 18 psi dyno in the future =-)

Last edited by 10secapsttz; 08-02-2005 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:32 AM
10secapsttz
Banned

Would not the leaner A/F account for the performance gain?
Yes. The leaner A/F mixture as well as the increased capabilities to flow more volumes of air as well as the balancing out of Air to each cylinder all comes into play. .2 to .3 tenths of an A/F point would not account for a 23 WHP gain in itself. It was a combination of all the above mentioned.

Quick Reply: APS Plenum Results are in!!!