Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

VQ32de

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 11:24 AM
SEmy2K2go

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tilleys99
i was simply tryin to give you z guys some ideas but all you guys have is hate for every other nissan but a gt-r. IMO the vq30det (jdm) is better then you guys wastin money on buildin a 3.5, which is probably why gt cup cars use the vq30dett
Like I said on the Org...why would Z guys go this route when they have a lot more options for aftermarket than Maxima owners?
Old 11-03-2005, 11:25 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Zexy
Ok guys, seems like we are staring to have a party of trolls creating accounts and starting to bash, thanks to the douchbag who started this thread and took it back to his home forum to post smack about us.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....09#post4452609

Mods please close this thread before it destroys itself.
how am i a troll when i have been on this board long than you have?

not only that.. i was working on VQ engines before you registered here..

not only that.. i own two cars with VQ engines one of which happens to be a Z.. which i do believe this is a Z forum
Old 11-03-2005, 11:27 AM
mojo powered

because this is potentially an opportunity to rev higher and boost higher safely without spending 15k

8.5 compression with already available nissan parts, rev to 7500rpm and boost 12psi.. that'd be nice. Is it possible? Well, let's wait and see what Tilley's will do normally aspirated first.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:29 AM
chimmike

Originally Posted by F23A4
The Z died in 1996, as it was one of the first Nissans to get the ax when Nissan was in dire straits. The Z33 is side-product of the Nissan's largely successful FM platform pioneered by the Skyline/G35. If not for the G35 sedan, your Z would have been a 200hp/180lb-ft 2.4L Inline sport coupe (read: 240SX):
Link

It was cars like the Maxima, Altima and Sentra enabled Nissan to tread water until Renault finallly came to the rescue.

That said, those Z owners who feel the need to be pompous with their regard to the Maxima or Altima V6s are in need of a reality check 'cause performance wise, it aint exactly a 'Mustang Cobra vs Mustang V6' comparison. (More like a Stang GT vs Mach 1 comparison, if anything.)

BTW: Nissan better do something to stop the hemmoraging(sp?) of Z sales.

I don't know where exactly you get your information, but the Z came out before the G35 and a bit before the G35C.........because the Z had been out long enough that people were waiting to see the G35C in person before they bought a Z.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:33 AM
350zQ45a

The fact the Z has a VQ is one of the worst not best traits of the car. It should have the VK45DE in it or something that isn't a derivative of one of the most common engines in the Nissan lineup.

The VQ lacks top end power, and it feels like it's going to grenade at higher rpms. That and oh yea its a maxima engine, another reason I hate it.

Luckily every othe fact about the car that seperates it from something like say a Maxima is why I own it.

FWD = garbage.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:34 AM
chimmike

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
Like I said on the Org...why would Z guys go this route when they have a lot more options for aftermarket than Maxima owners?

besides the fact that, if I'm not mistaken, the bore vs. stroke in the vq35 isn't the problem, because the stroke isn't overly massive.

It's more of a problem if the strengths of the internals. Given stronger internals (or even a cryo'd crank, knife-edged, balanced with stronger internals) the VQ35 in it's current bore/stroke could rev higher.

But again, why the need? Plenty of useable power in the car. Even if you go to 7100 or so, that's still a ton of useable power.

I think destroking the VQ is something that avoids the inherent weakness of the engine and tries to make something of a smaller stroke and will actually not benefit as greatly as you would think.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:36 AM
tilleys99

Originally Posted by chimmike
besides the fact that, if I'm not mistaken, the bore vs. stroke in the vq35 isn't the problem, because the stroke isn't overly massive.

It's more of a problem if the strengths of the internals. Given stronger internals (or even a cryo'd crank, knife-edged, balanced with stronger internals) the VQ35 in it's current bore/stroke could rev higher.

But again, why the need? Plenty of useable power in the car. Even if you go to 7100 or so, that's still a ton of useable power.

I think destroking the VQ is something that avoids the inherent weakness of the engine and tries to make something of a smaller stroke and will actually not benefit as greatly as you would think.
So basicaly im dumb just like you. You had a boosted GXE sentra with a GA16de lmfao.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:37 AM
doug

Originally Posted by 350zQ45a
The fact the Z has a VQ is one of the worst not best traits of the car. It should have the VK45DE in it or something that isn't a derivative of one of the most common engines in the Nissan lineup.

The VQ lacks top end power, and it feels like it's going to grenade at higher rpms. That and oh yea its a maxima engine, another reason I hate it.

Luckily every othe fact about the car that seperates it from something like say a Maxima is why I own it.

FWD = garbage.
you are not really a bright fellow.. if you knew these downfalls of the Z to begin with.. why did you buy one and then start modding it? you should have bought a vette or something with a V8.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:39 AM
chimmike

So basicaly im dumb just like you. You had a boosted GXE sentra with a GA16de lmfao.
yea, you are dumb. But I'm not. My engine was the QG18DE. BTW, I wouldn't talk too much trash about the GA16. There's a turbo GA16 runnin stock internals and 12s.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:40 AM
theking

My question is which has the bigger rod mains? The VQ35de or the VQ30det? This would tell which would be a stronger platform once built.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:40 AM
350zQ45a

I assume you must be some sort of genius for figuring out my reasoning for owning this car.

I haven't "modded" my car at all, I use it as a daily driver. I wish it had a different engine, but I love the Z the way it is.

I wish it had the smoothness of say an Inline engine, but well it doesn't. Hell it may not even have the smoothness of an older VQ.

I prefer Japanese sportscars, but that doesn't mean I have to be a fanboy for the Z.

Every car has its shortcomings, luckily I don't own a FWD sedan or I don't think I'd be able to find any positives besides the backseat
Old 11-03-2005, 11:43 AM
theking

This thread turned to s***!
chimmike

I'll agree the Z engine feels like crap in top end. But, a lot of it is the direct feel and the crappy engine sound of the VQ at higher rpm. Isn't that easily remedied by an intake ? Some good oil, good tranny fluid, intake, exhaust. It'll feel better and sound better. woo.
tilleys99

the vq35 is 5mm bigger, but the vq30det has a lot stronger rods than the stock vq35de. but, since im dumb, dont listen to my opinion
Old 11-03-2005, 11:46 AM
doug

I assume you must be some sort of genius for figuring out my reasoning for owning this car.

I haven't "modded" my car at all, I use it as a daily driver. I wish it had a different engine, but I love the Z the way it is.
maybe you should change your sig

I wish it had the smoothness of say an Inline engine, but well it doesn't. Hell it may not even have the smoothness of an older VQ.
well unfortuanately you don't have much choices now do you.. unless you want a 10 year old car.. or a BMW

Every car has its shortcomings, luckily I don't own a FWD sedan or I don't think I'd be able to find any positives besides the backseat
luckly for you it doesn't snow where you live.. i would love to see you drive that Q or Z up here during a blizzard. FWD Cars have a purpose.. don't knock them because they don't suit your purpose. I have as much fun with my Z as i do with my maxima.. you want to talk ****? or get an attitude.. then guess what 4 wheel sucks.

I don't need a Z or a Q for speed.. i have a motorcycle for those days

lose the attitude.. it makes you come off as an arrogant *****
Old 11-03-2005, 11:46 AM
350zQ45a

Originally Posted by chimmike
I'll agree the Z engine feels like crap in top end. But, a lot of it is the direct feel and the crappy engine sound of the VQ at higher rpm. Isn't that easily remedied by an intake ? Some good oil, good tranny fluid, intake, exhaust. It'll feel better and sound better. woo.

I agree to point, I think the VQ will always be more fun and rewarding on the lower rpm side of things. The rev-up was a nice improvement and I'm sure some NA mods could make things better. That being said it's still not as smooth or rewarding as the VK45DE or a host of other engines in cars I have owned.

It's also not as bad at higher rpms then say most domestic engines, so I'll give it that.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:50 AM
deezo

I agree to point, I think the VQ will always be more fun and rewarding on the lower rpm side of things. The rev-up was a nice improvement and I'm sure some NA mods could make things better. That being said it's still not as smooth or rewarding as the VK45DE or a host of other engines in cars I have owned.

It's also not as bad at higher rpms then say most domestic engines, so I'll give it that.
Get a modified manifold and things change for the VQ. That one was for free.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:51 AM
350zQ45a

Originally Posted by doug
maybe you should change your sig

well unfortuanately you don't have much choices now do you.. unless you want a 10 year old car.. or a BMW

luckly for you it doesn't snow where you live.. i would love to see you drive that Q or Z up here during a blizzard. FWD Cars have a purpose.. don't knock them because they don't suit your purpose. I have as much fun with my Z as i do with my maxima.. you want to talk ****? or get an attitude.. then guess what 4 wheel sucks.

I don't need a Z or a Q for speed.. i have a motorcycle for those days

lose the attitude.. it makes you come off as an arrogant *****
Sig mentions nothing about modding my car. I am holding off all modding and picking up a new Z because I want a GTR.

Yea it doesn't snow in AZ. If it did snow here I would opt for an AWD car and not FWD. Sorry there are better choices then FWD. Obviously if I wanted a cheap beater to drive around in the snow or in general I really wouldn't care about it.

Why can't you admit FWD basically sucks? Sure it has its purposes, but there is always something better.

I have owned FWD cars and I don't like the way they drive. Most enthuaists would agree with this notion.

Like I said if its your daily driver or just some winter beater there is nothing wrong with it.

I don't have constraints like the weather hindering my car buying decisions, so for me FWD is never an option
Old 11-03-2005, 11:52 AM
theking

Don't let a few people make the impression for the whole. Thanks for your input. I think this is a great alternative if you want to use all factory parts. My only question is since we are not running huge boost or crazy power, Who outside a few people(road racing and the like) are going to want this high revving destroked version since this is for a FI car with a large usable powerband as a 3.5L?
the vq35 is 5mm bigger, but the vq30det has a lot stronger rods than the stock vq35de. but, since im dumb, dont listen to my opinion
Old 11-03-2005, 11:52 AM
deezo

I was going to add that since none of these guys new that. Time for them to buy rod bolts if they want a stonger motor.