Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

VQ32de

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 12:18 PM
350zQ45a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see why you can't at the very least admit FWD isn't an optimal drivetrain configuration in terms of handling verus say RWD or AWD.

It seems like just because you have a good FWD you are unwilling to admit it's drawbacks.

Are you now going to tell me front engine is better then mid or even rear, simply because you own it, or can find someone who had gone faster around a corner or a 1/4 mile strip somewhere?

I own a Z and have no problems readily admitting both it's positives AND negatives. I've owned FWD cars, and I would never defend that layout versus All or Rear Wheel Drive.

Sure FWD can go fast. I can turn on speed channel and probably catch some Import drag racing where someone with a FWD civic is running 9s or 10s, great.

Why would I want the power going to the wheels that I use to steer? I really wouldn't, unless the weather was involved.

Same with why would I want the engine over the front and not in mid or even rear.

I never said FWD couldn't be fast or made to handle well, I still think personally it's garbage, because I hate the traits that come along with it.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:18 PM
mojo powered

I can't believe what this thread turned into.. can we please please stick to the topic that Tilley's started???

Tilleys.. what do you know about the 3.2 JDM VQs? do they use aftermarket internals or something like you're after? tell us more.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:20 PM
deezo

Originally Posted by 350zQ45a
I don't see why you can't at the very least admit FWD isn't an optimal drivetrain configuration in terms of handling verus say RWD or AWD.

It seems like just because you have a good FWD you are unwilling to admit it's drawbacks.

Are you now going to tell me front engine is better then mid or even rear, simply because you own it, or can find someone who had gone faster around a corner or a 1/4 mile strip somewhere?

I own a Z and have no problems readily admitting both it's positives AND negatives. I've owned FWD cars, and I would never defend that layout versus All or Rear Wheel Drive.

Sure FWD can go fast. I can turn on speed channel and probably catch some Import drag racing where someone with a FWD civic is running 9s or 10s, great.

Why would I want the power going to the wheels that I use to steer? I really wouldn't, unless the weather was involved.

Same with why would I want the engine over the front and not in mid or even rear.

I never said FWD couldn't be fast or made to handle well, I still think personally it's garbage, because I hate the traits that come along with it.
Just look at the video I posted of how a crappy FWD design holds up to a RWD beast. Nuff said.

Back on topic.
350zQ45a

I was in no trying to beliddle your accomplishments with your FWD car.
DandyMax

Originally Posted by doug
basically this thread is a food chain thread.. the select Z owners are on here talking **** to maxima owners who are lower on the food chain..

then i could post this on supraforums and have a whole bunch of Supra Owners come in here and clown the living hell out of the few select Z owners..

then i could post this on 6speedonline and have the porsche 996TT owners come in here and **** off to the supra owners..

then i could go to ferrarichat and have the ferrari owners **** all over the porsche owners..

then if i felt like it.. call the lambo owners to call the ferrari owners d!cks and idiots who can't drive..

then to top it off.. i would go on the gixxer board and get bike owners to come in here and **** on the lambo owners..

its the food chain people.. don't act like dicks.. always someone higher up on the food chain.

don't ask why someone did something with their car.. because 10 million other people will ask you the same damn thing

Well put Doug. I go to the dragstrip all the time with a couple friends, one with an 11 second 71 Camaro, one with a 12 sec Firebird.

Those guys could stomp all over most Z's and Maximas but they still respect and show an interest in what I and others do to their cars.

Me, I'm always interested in what someone's done/is doing to their car even if it's lower (or higher) up the food chain than mine, as long as they're serious and not a punk ricer. It's also a good way to learn and take ideas from what others have done. Most everyone who's into modding their car does so for the fun of it and within whatever budget they have. Doesn't make someone any more justified in modding a car just because they have more money to blow on a better car.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:21 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Matt and Mojo are correct.. this isn't a FWD vs RWD debate..

so you guys can keep adding yourself to the blown engine list on the sticky up top or you can actually forget tilley has a maxima and listen to his VQ information..

that is all
Old 11-03-2005, 12:22 PM
350zQ45a

Quick let me get a video of an acura beating a Bimmer around a track, so I can use it to say FWD is better then RWD.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

.orgy members
Old 11-03-2005, 12:23 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

just so you guys know a little background on tilley..

he was one of the first to put a VQ35 in a 4th Gen Maxima and make it work
the first to put a VQ30DET(JDM Motor) in a 4th Gen Maxima and make it work
he has his own shop and he has torn engines apart over and over.. he knows what he is talking about
Old 11-03-2005, 12:24 PM
JClaw

NOBODY said anything like that. But getting traction in a FWD is far easier you seem to think it is.

There wouldn't be a huge post about this if some of you guys hadn't put down maximas because someone is trying to pioneer something that hasn't been done much if at all in the US.

And Tilley knows what he's doing. He was the first one to do a Vq35 block/vq30 heads hybrid, and the first to do a vq35 swap with vq30 timing chain components and vq30 ecu in an older max. Now 15+ of us have done this swap.

Last edited by JClaw; 11-03-2005 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:40 PM
jdy107

I'm interested in this as well. I'm planning to put turbo on my z and how would this 3.2 vq work with the aftermarket turbos for our z?
Will I need more tuning if, lets say, the turbonetics s/t was installed on my engine(after modified into 3.2) and the boost was kept at stock boost level out of the box? and internals, how much hp could I put with this vq 3.2 with upgraded turbos for more power without building the engine since it can rev a lot higher
Old 11-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Matt93SE

Quick let me get a video of an acura beating a Bimmer around a track, so I can use it to say FWD is better then RWD.

Here.. how's this...
my POS 1993 Maxima. 200k miles on the engine. 61/39 **** poor weight distribution, power going to the wrong wheels, four door grocery getter... http://blehmco.com/movies/me_at_tws_1.wmv

So what am I passing? Hmmm, I see a Mini, two spec Miatas, and a C5 Vette. doh.

so yeah, keep talking trash about FWD/RWD man.. it CAN be done, but it has no real bearing in this thread.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:59 PM
tilleys99

as doug said i was just tryin too throw options out there for you z guys. If i recall Z1 performance sells VQ30det parts so im sure there is a reason for this.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:07 PM
tilleys99

damn 4 pages in 1 day. lmao
Old 11-03-2005, 01:23 PM
98MikeXimaSE

Originally Posted by doug

don't ask why someone did something with their car.. because 10 million other people will ask you the same damn thing
which goes back to the person with the big mouth who said tilley was in a rush to get to soccer practice. i want to know why he has a turbo for his z? where is he in a rush to?

thats what i thought, NO WHERE
Old 11-03-2005, 02:10 PM
theking

It would definitely need tuning since this is a different motor than what the Turbonetics ST kit was designed for. Since this isn't exactly a tried and tested setup it is hard to say what you could get to the wheels. It isn't exactly "not built" since it is using parts from a stock FI'd motor and "Frankensteining" them. If you kept the heads stock then it trully would be a bolt-on affair(minus some wear parts). My best guess would be a reliable 500whp but still having the cooling issues of the VQ35 block(if their are any?).
Originally Posted by jdy107
I'm interested in this as well. I'm planning to put turbo on my z and how would this 3.2 vq work with the aftermarket turbos for our z?
Will I need more tuning if, lets say, the turbonetics s/t was installed on my engine(after modified into 3.2) and the boost was kept at stock boost level out of the box? and internals, how much hp could I put with this vq 3.2 with upgraded turbos for more power without building the engine since it can rev a lot higher
Old 11-03-2005, 02:13 PM
PhxBlue

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Look, the arguement about FWD vs. RWD means NOTHING in this discussion. Tilley brought you guys some engine tuning info he thought you would appreciate, and you people are busting his ***** because he did it in a Maxima? WTF?!

The benefits are the same no matter whether it's in a VQ30 MAxima, VQ35 Maxima, or a VQ35 350Z/G35.

pull your heads out of your collective "RWD is better so FWD people are stupid" asses and appreciate the contributions for what they are, not what car they came out of.
Amen! Couldnt have said it better myself.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:42 PM
jrod1014

guys... let's give the man props for what hes done... all of the ****heads here who are flaming are giving this forum, the car and the people who post in it a bad name...
Old 11-03-2005, 03:50 PM
RockfordMAX

Alright, People here need to drop the FWD vs RWD argument. Neither is truly "better" because its comparing apples to oranges. FWD will tear RWD up in any type of inclement weather, and 90% of the time, RWD will annihilate FWD in decent weather. The fact is they were designed for different reasons, and do their purpose perfectly for those reasons. Tilley is one of the people on the .org that I and most others truly RESPECT, because he has innovated so much, and doesnt go flaming people. He tends to listen, which is how you learn, which is how you make your car faster. Thats why we are all here. So next time you want to flame somebody, think about what you could LEARN from them. I'm sure you weren't born a Z genious, and for most of you, you had no clue what a VQ was before you signed up on this site. This man is IMHO the master of the VQ. Watch your mouths, its like dissing god.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:55 PM
tilleys99

Originally Posted by RockfordMAX
Alright, People here need to drop the FWD vs RWD argument. Neither is truly "better" because its comparing apples to oranges. FWD will tear RWD up in any type of inclement weather, and 90% of the time, RWD will annihilate FWD in decent weather. The fact is they were designed for different reasons, and do their purpose perfectly for those reasons. Tilley is one of the people on the .org that I and most others truly RESPECT, because he has innovated so much, and doesnt go flaming people. He tends to listen, which is how you learn, which is how you make your car faster. Thats why we are all here. So next time you want to flame somebody, think about what you could LEARN from them. I'm sure you weren't born a Z genious, and for most of you, you had no clue what a VQ was before you signed up on this site. This man is IMHO the master of the VQ. Watch your mouths, its like dissing god.
Thank you thats awesome too see some people respect the things i do.

Last edited by tilleys99; 11-03-2005 at 04:10 PM.