Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS ST Issues resolved (Maybe)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 11:58 AM
Jergens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APS ST Issues resolved (Maybe)

Just got off the phone with Jose at JapTrix, and here is what he told me.

Apparently the tap in where my oil pressure gauge reading was coming from snapped. How, I have no idea. The basic rundown was that there is oil ALL over the bottom of the car.

He said I'd have to be very careful changing the oil because the oil check valve is right next to a part that can snap. Can someone clarify this for me, I'm not positive what under there could just break apart. I'll get a better idea of what is up when Roger talks to me later tonight... apparently they are going to dyno the car tonight and try to get me some numbers... which would be pretty sweet.

Anyhow they are telling me that the fix they gave me and the APS replacement electric solenoid should take care of all my problems. My fear is this "snapping" crap.

Does anyone have an idea what this might be? Is this something where if my car takes a bit of a bump here and there I'm going to blow oil all over the bottom again? Arghhhh

~Josh
Old 11-30-2005, 03:39 PM
dirtroad

The oil pressure sensor has the metal end that plugs into the oil system, then the other half is basically a plastic piece which has the electric-type plug for the sensor. This is an OEM piece, not sure if there are alternatives. That area is very close to the front strut bar and that could have caused it. I could see how the plastic part would snap very easily.
Basically, it's between your oil filter and the strut bar.

Last edited by dirtroad; 11-30-2005 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:58 PM
drsifu

is that what you guys are talking about?
Attached Thumbnails APS ST Issues resolved (Maybe)-a.jpg  
Old 11-30-2005, 09:50 PM
Jergens

Possibly. Roger never got back to me tonight. That plastic bit looks like other electronic (relays?) like on headlight bulbs etc. If that broke I dunno why oil would come out... but maybe.

~Josh
Old 12-01-2005, 07:37 AM
tig488

what the hell is all that in that pic, i have a Tpiece with the oil feed to the turbo, and the other end to the sending unit, you have an extra T with a feed going straight up? and whats that big black cannister?
Old 12-01-2005, 08:42 AM
neffster

subscribing. Interested in both the TN-ST kit and the Japtrix quality of work...
Old 12-01-2005, 09:42 AM
maximumsportZ

OT, do they have the dyno ready at japtrix? and they can flash unichip??

/end offtopic
Old 12-01-2005, 09:48 AM
G352NV

Originally Posted by tig488
what the hell is all that in that pic, i have a Tpiece with the oil feed to the turbo, and the other end to the sending unit, you have an extra T with a feed going straight up? and whats that big black cannister?
Im sure this is his sending unit for oil pres. He needs the extra T for that also.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:49 AM
G352NV

Also it sure looks liek its pinching the hell out of that coolant line.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:02 AM
tig488

yeah i agree, but APS has changed out the feed line check valve due to faulty hardware, i was wondering if that was all part of the new stuff because it doesnt look like mine.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:05 AM
G352NV

Im sure your right. Ted at Scotts has a hook with APS. He has a lot of their newer stuff and prototype stuff. Thats what Ive been told anyway.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:48 PM
zman2

Default Dyno in

Originally Posted by maximumsportZ
OT, do they have the dyno ready at japtrix? and they can flash unichip??

/end offtopic
Dyno operating - not tuning unichip yet.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:23 PM
drsifu

yeah...i have no idea what that is i just took a pic of it.

i think, and don't quote me on this, the grey harness has something to do with the scavenge pump and the tee may be for my oil temp. ted explained this all to me during the install, but I have since forgotten

and yes, it may be newer stuff that APS has recently released. Since Ted has a direct line to Peter, those who drop their car off at Scott Performance always gets the cool new stuff. The perks of working with an authorized APS dealer/installer. The pieces you see may indeed be plastic in the older kits cause Ted said something about getting some new stuff. Not 100% sure.

Tig- it always sucks to be the first, and I know you were one of the first with the APS ST.

that line does look pinched by that black thing. hope it was adjusted after everything was put back together, since as you can see with wires hanging all over in the place, they were still working on the car when i took these pics.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:45 PM
drsifu

damn steve...you got me nervous there so I had to send Ted an email just to verify...

but i went back and looked at my other pics and the line looks pinched from the angle of the camera. from this angle, it doesn't look bad at all. in either case, since they had to remove the oil pan to get to my timing cover after this pic was taken, I am confident the hose is fine.

tig- I have asked my installer to explain to me that set-up. I will PM/IM you once I find out what it is exactly.

vinh
Attached Thumbnails APS ST Issues resolved (Maybe)-b.jpg  
Old 12-01-2005, 03:58 PM
G352NV

Thats cool just wanted to make sure it was OK.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:19 PM
tig488

the grey harness is the stock sending unit harness. everything i circled in red is not included in the APS st kit. unless its the new check valve parts.
Attached Thumbnails APS ST Issues resolved (Maybe)-a2.jpg  
Old 12-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Jergens

Wow so this sucks... here are the numbers they got out of the car tonight

285 HP 274 TRQ....

Roger told me that the boost seems to stay at 8.5 then drops to 4.5-5 after something like 4,000 RPMs. (Forgot actual tach reading). It is probably the wastegate leak problem so Roger is going to tighten the rod tomorrow.

Problem is right now my AF is perfect. 11.5-11.7 all the way. Drops into a high 10 for a slight bit but Roger said the car looked like it had already been tuned. Anyhow, the number is low I am hoping that when he changes the wastegate setting tomorrow my AF doesn't lean out like freaking crazy. I'll let you all know

Oh yeah it is a mustang Dyno so that makes the number a bit lower too, but 285 low.

~Josh
Old 12-01-2005, 06:05 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Hey Josh, I was talking with Roger and I am back in town and will be in the shop tomorrow and have a few things that APS suggests and we will see if they help. Those numbers are low even when you adjust them for dynojet numbers which would be around 310-315

Last edited by westpak; 12-01-2005 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:13 PM
zman1910

Originally Posted by tig488
the grey harness is the stock sending unit harness. everything i circled in red is not included in the APS st kit. unless its the new check valve parts.
Tig that is the new check valve or electronic solenoid that APS now supplies instead of the mechanical one...
Old 12-01-2005, 06:25 PM
tig488

good im trying to get one from APS or GRD.

Jergens, get the APS exhaust, JK! i have been working on that boost problem for months, as you probably know. its the actuator, weak spring. even tuan put a stronger one on one of their cars and it held boost. i sent mine off to Forge to have a custom one made, but luis had problems getting the rod right, so he had to ship it to the UK to get made properly. i should have it next week and ill post the results.

you should feel the car with the wastegate wired shut. its amazing. the car is totally different, i just thought it was fast with the tightened actuator rod. now the car is fast as he11! now if i punch it in just about any gear, the rear end breaks lose, its kinda scary at times, and once it hits 10psi, you better hold on, you can imagine what it felt like at 15psi!!!!pucker factor of 10.

Quick Reply: APS ST Issues resolved (Maybe)