Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

SFR twin plenum intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 12:00 PM
thawk408

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I am guessing this was a huge bust. No reported numbers on either N/A or FI, even after a good bit of time.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by thawk408
So I am guessing this was a huge bust. No reported numbers on either N/A or FI, even after a good bit of time.
These things take time to develop.one thing we learned is dont spill the beans until its almost ready to go..
Old 04-26-2006, 01:24 PM
thawk408

So I guess it did not give the power you would have liked, or maybe even lost power. So you went back and redesigned it some? I have heard from several people that the factory manifold is actually very well designed.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:46 PM
rkd350z

wow
Old 04-26-2006, 02:22 PM
Havok_RLS2

Originally Posted by thawk408
So I guess it did not give the power you would have liked, or maybe even lost power. So you went back and redesigned it some? I have heard from several people that the factory manifold is actually very well designed.
Thats what I've been hearing too. I got into a very heated argument with one of my Nissan Techs who just so happens to be a Master Mechanic of 20 years. Needless to say the argument was pretty one sided when he started to blow my head up with all the technical jargon. Bottom line was that if this intake manifold does "work" it could only be used for forced induction and only then in very high boost applications. As far as N/A was concerned (once he stopped laughing at me) he said that somthing that big wouldn't work very well if at all on our fuel injected cars which depend on MAF and MAP readings. He started to lose me when he started talking about fluid dynamics and said " it would be like trying to drink a 7-11 big gulp through a 5 foot garden hose". At that point a decidied to take his word for it.

If you guys can come up with a better argument supporting this intake I'd be more than happy to use it. I tried to get him to join the forum but he said he didn't have time to chat with "kids" online.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:19 PM
plumpzz

im convinced there needs to be a VG30DETT style intake manifold. its great for NA and even better for FI...
orrr
someone w/ money has to make a mechanically operating manifold that changes runner length :-D can you SAYY a lot of HP?
Old 04-28-2006, 05:21 AM
oorx7
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by plumpzz
orrr
someone w/ money has to make a mechanically operating manifold that changes runner length :-D can you SAYY a lot of HP?

A variable intake runner system is very complicated to construct. I come from the rotory crowd as you can see in my avy. The lemans 787B had this along with four rotors.

As you can see there are a lot of mechanicals involved. Also a lot of space is needed for six variable trumpets, wich unfortunatly is one of the major concernes with the VQ/350Z. (ask me how I know).

This is the R26B
Attached Thumbnails SFR twin plenum intake manifold-pg03_10b.jpg   SFR twin plenum intake manifold-pg03_11b.jpg  

Last edited by oorx7; 04-28-2006 at 05:31 AM.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:31 AM
plumpzz

that is a thing of beauty..
Old 04-28-2006, 06:39 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

V-a-p-o-r-w-a-r-e
Old 04-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bump, kalima any updates?
Old 04-28-2006, 11:00 AM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

Apparently,everybody has already come to their own conclusions about our intake manifold.Thats fine.We will post our turbo results when we are done with our testing.Kalima had a personal problem that came up so he had to go be with one of his family members before they pass on.If this makes the testing on the N/.A car a flop.....then so be it.

The one thing that pisses me off and MRC hit the head right on the nail is...........Dont spill the beans on new products.That is exactly what we did.We wanted to show you guys behind the scenes and the way we get repayed is by rumors,hearsay,etc.......I have heard that my car grenaded,that we lost a bunch of horsepower and the plenum doesnt work........Well let me put some of that to rest.

My car is indeed fine and still running on the stock motor,heads,cams,etc........I drive it everyday to work(30+ miles)and beat the crap out of it.We did encounter a lean condition when we originally dynoed the twin plenum intake.The car would lean out as boost would come on about 3000 rpms.We seen a 15+ ft/lb of torque increase at that point but I decided to quit there because I did not want to blow the motor.So I put the stock plenum back on and the lean condition was still there.There were one of three possible causes,bad pump,bad injectors or some sort of restriction between the pump and injectors.We beleive it was a restiction in one of the fuel lines because there was a kink in it and replacing the other parts didnt help.So we ordered a new one and will replace it when it gets here and see if we can finish some testing.So that is what is really going on.If you guys want to believe differently......that is fine.when we get our numbers,we will be sure to post them here and on our website.I will say that we have some other new products that we are working on but you guys can find out about them when we release them to the public.Take Care.

Tim

Last edited by TurboTim; 04-28-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:07 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Tim is it possible to still purchase the plenum before the official release? Also since you are here can i ask you a couple of questions about your y-pipe exhausts?
Old 04-28-2006, 11:58 AM
dscheers

You're right in the largest part of your post but some of the hearsay and rumors is yoiur own fault. If the plenum is ready, it doesn't take this long to get some dyno numbers.If you don't post them after all the promises that were made and tentative dates posted, without explication, people are naturally going to suspect something is wrong and voice those suspicions. Personally, I enjoyed this thread very much as it gives a lot of insight in the making and testing off -and problems with- a new developed performance part. For me this threads reads like a novel.

I would like to thank you for posting the priocess and I hope you will continue to do so and prove all those negativers wrong.
I would also like to wish Kalima strength in these trying hours.

Danny

Originally Posted by TurboTim
Apparently,everybody has already come to their own conclusions about our intake manifold.Thats fine.We will post our turbo results when we are done with our testing.Kalima had a personal problem that came up so he had to go be with one of his family members before they pass on.If this makes the testing on the N/.A car a flop.....then so be it.

The one thing that pisses me off and MRC hit the head right on the nail is...........Dont spill the beans on new products.That is exactly what we did.We wanted to show you guys behind the scenes and the way we get repayed is by rumors,hearsay,etc.......I have heard that my car grenaded,that we lost a bunch of horsepower and the plenum doesnt work........Well let me put some of that to rest.

My car is indeed fine and still running on the stock motor,heads,cams,etc........I drive it everyday to work(30+ miles)and beat the crap out of it.We did encounter a lean condition when we originally dynoed the twin plenum intake.The car would lean out as boost would come on about 3000 rpms.We seen a 15+ ft/lb of torque increase at that point but I decided to quit there because I did not want to blow the motor.So I put the stock plenum back on and the lean condition was still there.There were one of three possible causes,bad pump,bad injectors or some sort of restriction between the pump and injectors.We beleive it was a restiction in one of the fuel lines because there was a kink in it and replacing the other parts didnt help.So we ordered a new one and will replace it when it gets here and see if we can finish some testing.So that is what is really going on.If you guys want to believe differently......that is fine.when we get our numbers,we will be sure to post them here and on our website.I will say that we have some other new products that we are working on but you guys can find out about them when we release them to the public.Take Care.

Tim
Old 04-28-2006, 01:03 PM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Vq.turbo.DremZ
Tim is it possible to still purchase the plenum before the official release? Also since you are here can i ask you a couple of questions about your y-pipe exhausts?

We have sold 4 plenums to betatesters.We were looking for some different combinations to test the plenum on.Stock N/A. N/A with all the bolt-ons,heads and cams, stock motor with turbo(my car) and a fully built turbo car with all the goodies.Why dont you email me and maybe we can work something out.

Tim
Old 04-28-2006, 11:39 PM
aalzuhair

Some people will continue to be very skeptical even if you post dyno numbers

Last edited by aalzuhair; 04-28-2006 at 11:45 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:40 PM
aalzuhair

By the way Tim, any update on the twin TB issue? maybe you can throw one in with the TT kit

Az

Last edited by aalzuhair; 04-28-2006 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:05 AM
JoeDirtPharmD

Tim - you have a PM
Old 04-29-2006, 02:04 PM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by aalzuhair
By the way Tim, any update on the twin TB issue? maybe you can throw one in with the TT kit

Az

We havent really tried anything out with it yet. BTW, your super secret spec ball-bearing turbos came in.Are you ready to make Z history

Tim
Old 04-29-2006, 02:05 PM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by aalzuhair
Some people will continue to be very skeptical even if you post dyno numbers

Yes I am aware of this.It goes with the trade.

Tim
Old 04-29-2006, 02:22 PM
aalzuhair

Originally Posted by TurboTim
We havent really tried anything out with it yet. BTW, your super secret spec ball-bearing turbos came in.Are you ready to make Z history

Tim
Hell yes damn man can't wait to have those turbos .... e-mail me some pics of the if you would aalzuhair@aol.com

Thanks Tim

Az

Quick Reply: SFR twin plenum intake manifold