Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics kit, BLOWN motor, i just dont have luck with this car

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 04:29 PM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tekk
i'm still a noob so please correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems that there are no records of unmodified cars w/ properly installed turbonetics st kit experiencing engine failures.

people are only really having problems when they begin modifying their cars (however minor the mod(s) may be)
You are correct.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:38 PM
captj3

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Hey how bout you stop being such an @ss till he talks to them. Unlike APS Turbonetics does happen to help their customers even with things like oh I don't know upper oil pans, new ECUs, etc.
Ahh so you now you know how annoying it is in every thread you get into the Tn vs aps bulls**t. And yes I know you have nothing to do with them. I've watched you play this game for a long time. Notice I didn't bring up any other kits. So who's the a**.

Last edited by captj3; 12-16-2005 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:48 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by captj3
Ahh so you now you know how annoying it is in every thread you get into the Tn vs aps bulls**t. And yes I know you have nothing to do with them. I've watched you play this game for a long time. Notice I didn't bring up any other kits. So who's the a**.
You don't have to bring up another kit to talk **** and be an @ss. Who's the @ss...um..YOU.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:03 PM
Jaki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very sorry to hear that man.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:08 PM
captj3

Well I guess we disagree on who the *ss is. You think that if someone makes a comment about another kit that there is something else behind it. You've never seen me knock your kit or talk **** about. But when someone says something look out. If it was someone I knew with another kit I would say the same thing whether I owned it or not. Maybe if you acted different toward people you wouldn't have to deal this kind of attitude.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:13 PM
MIAPLAYA

Well I guess we disagree on who the *ss is. You think that if someone makes a comment about another kit that there is something else behind it. You've never seen me knock your kit or talk **** about. But when someone says something look out. If it was someone I knew with another kit I would say the same thing whether I owned it or not. Maybe if you acted different toward people you wouldn't have to deal this kind of attitude.
Of course you would whatever bro...whatever makes you feel like sugar...
Old 12-16-2005, 05:24 PM
captj3

Mia just so you know if Tn steps up to the plate with his engine I'd be the first person to praise them for it. That's more than you would do for any other company. I'm done with this. I'm sure there will be others to ruffle your feathers.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:33 PM
nissansource

I just wanted to chime in that I absolutly love my TN kit. Infact took a friend out for a spin in it and he couldnt belive that we installed and drove away foot to the floor

ps sorry about your failure
Old 12-16-2005, 06:58 PM
trefling

i have a feeling we're going to eventually start seeing more TN problems show up in the next few months since there's been a LOT of people who have recently installed them in the last 4-5 months or so
My friend, it's not the turbo or superchargers that blow motors, it's the state of tune. The VQ engine has been proven to hold 400rwhp stock when fully tuned properly.

I blew my motor too with a procharger on but it was 100% my fault for not having it tuned properly. Procharger and other outfits could do allot to help their reputation but selling piggy back ECU's like Emages pretuned to make it idiot proof.

Please don't saying it's Turbonetics for the failed engine. The responsiblity untimatly relies on the owner because it's his or her choice how they plan to properly tune their cars.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:06 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So if I understand things correctly, the kit was installed and the flash was dead on in the "conservative range" at 10.8:1 initially. A dyno verification of A/F was done to validate the operation of the flash.

The owner took the car, changed the exhaust and never re-dynoed the car to see what the extra breathing room would do to the boost levels and/or A/F ratios?

Ok, quick show of hands...How many F/I owners out there would change their exhaust system and go out and beat on the car without a dyno check or an A/F gauge in the car?

It does suck that your engine gave out, but IMHO, you could/should have done a few simple things that could have prevented this. The first of which would be realizing that the flash provides no 'pressure awareness', and that a free-er flowing exhaust would cause faster turbo spooling and potentially higher boost levels in addition to leaning out the A/F through reduced back-pressure. 2nd, if you didn't have a WB gauge in the car, you should have dyno'd the car before stressing it.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:17 PM
trefling

The first of which would be realizing that the flash provides no 'pressure awareness', and that a free-er flowing exhaust would cause faster turbo spooling and potentially higher boost levels in addition to leaning out the A/F through reduced back-pressure
To all who are considering going FI with out something like a Emanage, welcome to the blown engine club. I made a similar mistake myself. I'm really disapoined though in some of the companies like procharger that introduce such a weak system to deal with engine management and fuel. It seems to me that if you are going to make/sell a blower/turbocharger you should atleast sell something easy to install that would deal with A/F and timing issues. Would that be asking too much of the FI companies?

It's just too easy to get on the board here, read about simply having your ECU replashed and all the problems are solved.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:20 PM
350zbiturbo

ok let me protect myself here and say that, I would like to apologize for not knowing that just putting a catback on my car would blow the motor, but ok your right b/c im supposed to know that, second of all, i was in a bad mood earlier mia and i apologize, you cannot blame me as for the fact that this is the second time, and its frustrating, w/e look ill call on monday and see what they can do for me, this sux, like i said i didnt bash the kit, i bashed the fact that the tune is not failsafe at all, ive spent like almost all my money on this and im now gonna have to shell out even more, it sux. w/e continue, anybody says that its myfault it blew is an idiot just so you know, b/c an exhaust shouldnt screw up a tune like it did enough to blow my motor thats just retarded.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:27 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mia just so you know if Tn steps up to the plate with his engine I'd be the first person to praise them for it. That's more than you would do for any other company. I'm done with this. I'm sure there will be others to ruffle your feathers.
Why should TN do anything about his engine?
Old 12-16-2005, 07:41 PM
Z PHAT Z

Sorry to hear about your engine. I too have the TN kit for about 5 months or so. I just depend on the flash that came with the TN kit. After installed, I dynoed it and after that I've been racing on the highway and at the 1/4 strip. Everyting is fine. Then I changed out my stock exhaust to put on my Borla TD. I dynoed right after I put the exhaust on and the A/F was in the safe range, but the boost creeps up to like 9. So far so good, but i'm getting Utec and building my block int he future. Good luck with calling TN and hopefully they would be able to help you out.

Last edited by Z PHAT Z; 12-16-2005 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:03 PM
DBZ33

Originally Posted by 350zbiturbo
ok let me protect myself here and say that, I would like to apologize for not knowing that just putting a catback on my car would blow the motor, but ok your right b/c im supposed to know that, second of all, i was in a bad mood earlier mia and i apologize, you cannot blame me as for the fact that this is the second time, and its frustrating, w/e look ill call on monday and see what they can do for me, this sux, like i said i didnt bash the kit, i bashed the fact that the tune is not failsafe at all, ive spent like almost all my money on this and im now gonna have to shell out even more, it sux. w/e continue, anybody says that its myfault it blew is an idiot just so you know, b/c an exhaust shouldnt screw up a tune like it did enough to blow my motor thats just retarded.

First of all im sorry about your motor. When I had my TN kit installed I had an APS plenum and a JIC 3" exhaust installed at the same time. This combo made my car unsafe but I was lucky to have it on the dyno to see that. The reflash is made for a stock car and is hit or miss with other mods. I'm not saying that no one has mods with a TN ecu flash but if you do it should be checked.
I hope you get your car running again and forget about all the bad luck you have had and get some good memories of felling full boost with a big smile on your face. I just hope this is a lesson for people out there getting any FI kit installed to have it checked before you leave the shop and also have it checked after any new mods. Good Luck...
Old 12-16-2005, 08:15 PM
Zexy

seems to me like japtrix ****ed this one.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:17 PM
zman1910

Originally Posted by Zexy
And how did you come to that conclusion sir?

Whomever purchases a turbo kit...it is mandatory to have wideband...

Last edited by zman1910; 12-16-2005 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:18 PM
JisNis

Originally Posted by kcobean
Ok, quick show of hands...How many F/I owners out there would change their exhaust system and go out and beat on the car without a dyno check or an A/F gauge in the car?
Are turbo cars that sensitive with simple mods like an exhaust or straight pipes? Is a dyno tune necessary after every mod on a turbo car? Please elaborate.

I think I would have done the same thing he did. Put on the exhaust and smash the gas.

Man turbo is starting to look like a big headache.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:20 PM
westpak
SFZCC

I think it boils down to the fact that the way you manage this kit with the ECU reflash is lame because even if it is dead on in stock form, which I think it is hit or miss anyway, then any mods you do will screw you, and people complain about no unichip tuners nearby there are what three ECU reflash people in the country give me a break, they should save people the money they waste on the ECU reflash and just sell it as a tuner kit so people realize that they are not getting an engine management worth anything and then can get the engine management of their choice.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:22 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by Zexy
And how do you figure that one!? don't make dumb statements without knowledge.

Quick Reply: Turbonetics kit, BLOWN motor, i just dont have luck with this car