Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics kit, BLOWN motor, i just dont have luck with this car

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 08:24 PM
JisNis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Westpak,

Is the engine management supplied with the Greddy or Aps turbo systems sufficient?
Old 12-16-2005, 08:30 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by JisNis
Westpak,

Is the engine management supplied with the Greddy or Aps turbo systems sufficient?
With the APS yes and if there is a Unichip tuner you can tweak it as needed, the thing is that it runs using boost so if the MAPS can handle the higher boosts due to climate changes or mods increasing boost then you will be covered.

The Greddy is not complete and needs to be worked on and somethings added to make it go up in boost but suitable if left at stock boost levels.

The problem with ECU reflash is that is runs off the MAF sensor and not boost so it has no idea what boost you are running and around 8-9 psi the MAF is maxed out, basically ECU reflash alone is not a good way to run an FI 350Z.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:33 PM
JisNis

Good info. thankx
Old 12-16-2005, 08:39 PM
JisNis

Originally Posted by failsafe306
Why should TN do anything about his engine?
I dont think anyone thinks they'll do anything, but I think hes saying that the reflash supplied with the kit is misleading (placing blame on TN...sorta)
Old 12-16-2005, 08:52 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From my experience with the TN reflash is that it is not sufficient. For the ECU to really know what is going on there needs to be a manifold air pressure sensor utilised.

But this isn't about the computer. It's about overboosting without a boost guage after changing an exhaust.

Respect
JET
Old 12-16-2005, 08:58 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
From my experience with the TN reflash is that it is not sufficient. For the ECU to really know what is going on there needs to be a manifold air pressure sensor utilised.

But this isn't about the computer. It's about overboosting without a boost guage after changing an exhaust.

Respect
JET
Yes and no, I don't think you can separate the two.

The kit probably did overboost due to mods but it is because of the ECU that it did not address fuel and timing with the higher boost. As an example I do not have my emanage tuned for 10 psi but have values for up to 10 psi so I do not go lean in the event I overshoot what I am tuned for apporx 8.5
Old 12-16-2005, 09:08 PM
JETPILOT

The only issue I see here is that Turbonetics, and I won't use the word negligent, could have used better judgement and enclosed a warning stating that this kit was designed to work without any modifications and is intended for a stock vehicle. Any modifications made can make the system unstable and cause overboosting.

That's what I read into here.

Respect
JET
Old 12-16-2005, 09:17 PM
Zexy

Originally Posted by westpak
And how do you figure that one!? don't make dumb statements without knowledge.
You're right. My apologies, it was a dumb statement but it could be a factor IMO.

This is the first blown motor, yet i wonder if this guy was possibly not looking where his boost was at when he steps on it. If he had he the flash installed chances are minimal that it was an A/F issue.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:19 PM
350zbiturbo

i seriously think jetpilot nailed it spot on, i seriously would of bought something to tune it if i would have known the the reflash was basically stupid if you want to put it in a quick term. w/e miaplaya has faith and so does this guy that gave me his number so will see what they plan to do, and turbonetics should do something on the fact that they dont warn anyone bout the fact that their tune cant handle a simple mod like a catback.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:58 PM
JETPILOT

The real issue here is that the world of high performance motors is like a rocket launch. It's dangerous business and we beat the odds 99% of the time. But every now and then we are reminded that these kits are cafrefully engineered, and can't take all factors (modifications) into account. We are going to lose a few good spacemen. Those are the facts. It's ugly but it's true. To be honest !!!! If they would have included any paperwork. Maybe they did.... I likely would not have read it anyway. That's life. With all the legal disclaimers included with products these day.... who reads the sh*t anyway. I bought a coffee pot the other day.... in big black letters in like 17 different languages it said "WARNING !!!!! HOT COFFEE WILL BURN YOU. Yeah no f*ckin sh*t, and hence the reason I throw most literature away.

Lesson learned. Move on in life. High performance motors are dangerous and more importantly let's not forget potentially expensive business.

Respect
JET
Old 12-16-2005, 10:25 PM
RED HOT Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok guys I just yesterday finished my TN install and at the same time put on my RS*R exhaust. Should I be worried?

How much is a dyno? or Dyno tune if I buy a UTEC?
Old 12-16-2005, 10:32 PM
808_FairladyZ

If i installed a Turbonetics ST with my exsisting Nismo catback exhaust system then send my ECU over to Tecno Square and AAM to have a reflash done to compensate for my exhaust, would this not be sufficant enough? I read that both companies offer reflashes for the Turbonetics ST system with additional mods. I've read that they can do the same with the Procharger system. I hope someone can verify this for me. Thanx.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:33 PM
DBZ33

Originally Posted by RED HOT Z
Ok guys I just yesterday finished my TN install and at the same time put on my RS*R exhaust. Should I be worried?

Have it checked just to be sure. Do you have a boost and wideband gauge?
Old 12-16-2005, 10:35 PM
RED HOT Z

I am actually as we speak working on putting those in
Old 12-16-2005, 10:38 PM
DBZ33

I am actually as we speak working on putting those in
I would not push the car hard untill you have those. Also take it to a dyno.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:04 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
The only issue I see here is that Turbonetics, and I won't use the word negligent, could have used better judgement and enclosed a warning stating that this kit was designed to work without any modifications and is intended for a stock vehicle. Any modifications made can make the system unstable and cause overboosting.

That's what I read into here.

Respect
JET
I agree. They should have anticipated people doing these things and have been prepared for it, something very simple that could have saved this motor and who knows how many, only time will tell just like the ATI and Greddy which failed some motors due to inefficiencies before people caught on to things they needed to do.

Originally Posted by Zexy
You're right. My apologies, it was a dumb statement but it could be a factor IMO.

This is the first blown motor, yet i wonder if this guy was possibly not looking where his boost was at when he steps on it. If he had he the flash installed chances are minimal that it was an A/F issue.
Ok you apologize but then follow it up with another dumb statement, in your opinion it could be a factor HOW!?! State something.

Chances are minimal that it is AF related?? What the hell are you talking about, have you read the other peoples responses or other threads about people detonating with the TN kit and admissions from MIAPLAYA that there are a couple of other failures out there? Again become eductaed before uttering ignorance.

Yes you should be worried, have it dynoed at least and keep close eye on your gauges. A dyno run should be 50-75 bucks and you get usually three runs.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:49 PM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by 808_FairladyZ
If i installed a Turbonetics ST with my exsisting Nismo catback exhaust system then send my ECU over to Tecno Square and AAM to have a reflash done to compensate for my exhaust, would this not be sufficant enough? I read that both companies offer reflashes for the Turbonetics ST system with additional mods. I've read that they can do the same with the Procharger system. I hope someone can verify this for me. Thanx.
Do you want your kidney transplant done in a dark room by a guy who almost became a doctor weilding a rusty butchers knife and dirty hands? Or a board certified surgeon in a hospital environment.

A reflash is a roll of the dice, and not a cheap one that might get you where you need to be, but no where near what a piggyback computer and a good tune can do.

The stock computer isn't getting all the information it needs to do it's job with a turbo installed. It's like someone showing you where the dartboard is on the wall then turning the lights off and asking you to throw and hit the target. You going ot get a bullseye???? You will be lucky if you hit the target at all. That's thestock ECU and a reflash.

Sorry about all the analogies. I'm the king of analogies.

Respect
JET
Old 12-17-2005, 12:16 AM
808_FairladyZ

Thanx for the heads up. It's a good thing that i've been putting this off for so long...FI that is, and the fact that i have to pay $319.00 a month on car insurance. I have no money now for the sweeter things in life.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:40 AM
RED HOT Z

thanks guys i am going to try to have it dynoed tommorrow I will post later
Old 12-17-2005, 12:42 AM
NYC_G35C

i do not have FI yet, but from what i have learned from reading these forums endlessly.... when you add FI to a motor that was NEVER conceived or designed for that purpose you're walking a fine line.. and the only thing keeping you on that line is a bulletproof tune that is customized for your exact application.

the Turbonetics reflash seems to be very safe when used with a stock, or very close to stock, setup. but as others have mentioned, since the Z's ECU does not understand what boost is, it's just going by what it knows (timing and fuel maps as loaded via reflash). a piggyback unit like the UTEC can take over fuel and timing duties from the ECU and DOES understand boost... this would be a much safer alternative i think, especially because it can be easily retuned anytime you change a mods, be it big or small, without having to yank the ECU and ship it off to be reflashed again.

[offtopic]
i am sorry this is slightly off topic but in reading the thread i thought... since the subject of MANDATORY wideband being installed in the car was brought up..... does anybody have a recomendation on a good wideband AF gauge that doesn't have a zillion LED's shifting back and forth and actually looks like it belongs in the car (amber gauge, red needle, etc)
[/offtopic]

Quick Reply: Turbonetics kit, BLOWN motor, i just dont have luck with this car