Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics kit, BLOWN motor, i just dont have luck with this car

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 01:41 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 35ounces
Has anyone checked his motor out to see if it was caused by a lean condition?
So far a comnpression test which showed a low cylinder arund 110 which is almost half of what it should be the others were very good. The plugs look like they would if under a lean condition difenelty not rich, the thought is that it is a crakced rin land, more will be known once the engine is out and heads off which shuld be next week.

Originally Posted by prescience
Surely, it would be reasonable for any aftermarket kit to have a small safety margin (I would expect a known aftermarket exhaust or known plenum etc to be within that category) / engineering tolerance or to state that it was only to be used with stock equipment.

Having said that, any car will be manufactured within an engineering tolerance so relying on a reflash whilst pushing the extreme of that tolerance would be asking for trouble without a 'belt and braces' tune

I feel real sorry for the guy in all of this
Yes I agree but this probably would have been ok if the kit had been released for 6 psi and had room for boost spikes or increase of boost due to mods, but at 8 psi you are at the threshold of the MAF's capacities, from history it was found that the MAF was maxed out at about 8.5-9 psi so unless you have the fuel setting at super rich at the 5v setting for the MAF you will run lean, and I mean 9 AF ratio so you would have a couple of PSI to overshoot but still not perfect. Basically ECU is no good for FI
Old 12-17-2005, 01:49 PM
Zexy

Originally Posted by westpak
Well it does offend me because your statements are ignorant, the problem is that when the boost spikes the car will run lean because the ECU cannot know it is running higher in boost becuase the ECU doesn have an input for boost plus the MAF is probably maxed out at that point, so it does not add more fuel hence LEAN, learn something while you are reading and comprehend before opening your mouth and spewing ignorance. And based on this situation you wouldn't let Japtrix touch your car?? People are coming from all over Florida to have their cars worked there and many happy customers, even this owner has no problems with Japtrix because he understand they did not do anything wrong.

SO before you go around accusing or putting a shop down know what you are talking about so you don't look stupid.
I'm here calm laughing at your posts, sitting back and having a drink. Go ahead and give yourself an ulcer and knock yourself out.

Just because you are Japtrix's *****.. Sorry for offending you. Yet again you seem to not realize my responses were just an opinion and i'm am open to being proved wrong.

I'm your #1 Special Olympics fan. Go Gus!!!

BTW: I have never said Japtrix was a bad shop, i would personally not take my car there. We all have our preferences.

Last edited by Zexy; 12-17-2005 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:10 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by Zexy
I'm here calm laughing at your posts, sitting back and having a drink. Go ahead and give yourself an ulcer and knock yourself out.

Just because you are Japtrix's *****.. Sorry for offending you. Yet again you seem to not realize my responses were just an opinion and i'm am open to being proved wrong.

I'm your #1 Special Olympics fan. Go Gus!!!

BTW: I have never said Japtrix was a bad shop, i would personally not take my car there. We all have our preferences.
Trust me I am not having ulcers I know about your feable mind from prior experience.

I would say how do we prove you wrong since you statements do not make sense.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:49 PM
MIAPLAYA

I think the bottom line here is Turbonetics does not have the ability to test for EVERY SINGLE EXHAUST combination that could be used. They tested on my Apexi, a Tanabe, a Nismo, and stock. That was a good mix of what was out when they designed the kit. Why is Turbonetics fault because someone swaps to a different exhaust (unknown type) and the car starts to run lean. Was a dyno run post exhaust install?

And westpakl lets be real here...you're whole problem with Turbonetics is that you and your boys over at Japtrix paid top dollar to be APS "authorized" dealers and would prefer to sell that.. Do you honestly think people on this forum are that naive?
Old 12-17-2005, 02:53 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
I think the bottom line here is Turbonetics does not have the ability to test for EVERY SINGLE EXHAUST combination that could be used. They tested on my Apexi, a Tanabe, a Nismo, and stock. That was a good mix of what was out when they designed the kit. Why is Turbonetics fault because someone swaps to a different exhaust (unknown type) and the car starts to run lean. Was a dyno run post exhaust install?

And westpakl lets be real here...you're whole problem with Turbonetics is that you and your boys over at Japtrix paid top dollar to be APS "authorized" dealers and would prefer to sell that.. Do you honestly think people on this forum are that naive?
So are you saying my concerns about the Turbonetics are not valid? Should people not be concerned? They must be valid since Turbonetics is now working on that part of it after already getting people hooked on a cheap kit now comes the 2 punch in the 1-2 punch combo.

And talk about the pot calling the kettle black, Mr Turbonetics.

Last edited by westpak; 12-17-2005 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:28 PM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You shouldn't just swap out exhuasts like that thats what caused it.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:38 PM
JisNis

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
So explain to us as why TN would elect to do a reflash based soley on the STOCK exhaust then? They had 3 choices that were more free flowing than the stock. It doesnt make any sense? Shouldn't they have done a reflash based on a more free flowing exhaust? At least include a disclaimer or warning that would warn guys like 350zbiturbo and myself who dont know much about FI.

So in part I would think TN should have a little blame placed on them.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:40 PM
350zbiturbo

alright lol, yes i did blow my motor but their is definately a war going on in my thread lol, im not happy bout the situation but heres the problem and everyone knows it so stop acting stupid, stop denying, dont act like you dont agree when if it happened to you, you would all be doing the same and acting the same as i am, i spend almost 5 grand on the kit, i expect it to be able to handle a catback exhaust for godsake, and yes i was mad at TN b/c you know what they guy just said it flat out they are going to do absolutely nothing for me, theyre not gonna say they have a problem and theyre def not gonna start telling customers that b/c they want the sales, dont lie to yourselves you know its true all of you, i got f***** and I never should have trusted them, my opinion is go with aps spend the extra grand or so and know that your safe even with putting on a catback exhaust, and miaplaya stop hating on gus when he says everything thats right and you know it, hes just stating facts that you know very well are true bout the reflash.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:43 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

I understand you are upset but did you even talk to TN?
Old 12-17-2005, 04:47 PM
JisNis

Originally Posted by 35ounces
I understand you are upset but did you even talk to TN?
This is from Blk180sx (TN rep)

Let me first say that it really painful for me to read about your situation. My statement earlier did not imply that Turbonetics would cover an engine. I just ask him to give me a call so we could discuss over the phone what exactly happened.

Now to issue about the reflash. I can honestly tell you that we own one 350 and one g35 with the flash and we haven't had any issues. There is also a great deal of our kits on the road with no issues. To the best of my knowledge all cases of over boosting has been from the result of using a aftermarket exhaust. When the kit was first R&D there was no way that we could test our kit with all of the exhaust on the market for the z/g. With that said I get countless call everyday of people asking me can the use "xyz" exhaust with our kit. My answer is always the same. The kit and tune was designed around using the stock exhaust.

So they basically want him to call and discuss what happened. They'll say sorry that your motor blew up and have a nice day.hahhahahah Read the above statement. Like 350zbiturbo said their not gonna do anything.

Last edited by JisNis; 12-17-2005 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:51 PM
JisNis

Originally Posted by 350zbiturbo
i spend almost 5 grand on the kit, i expect it to be able to handle a catback exhaust for godsake

+100000000000
Old 12-17-2005, 04:57 PM
zman1910

i spend almost 5 grand on the kit, i expect it to be able to handle a catback exhaust for godsake.

Could not agree with this more....there shouldn't be any issues just from changing out an exhaust
Old 12-17-2005, 05:02 PM
kcobean

alright lol, yes i did blow my motor but their is definately a war going on in my thread lol, im not happy bout the situation but heres the problem and everyone knows it so stop acting stupid, stop denying, dont act like you dont agree when if it happened to you, you would all be doing the same and acting the same as i am, i spend almost 5 grand on the kit, i expect it to be able to handle a catback exhaust for godsake, and yes i was mad at TN b/c you know what they guy just said it flat out they are going to do absolutely nothing for me, theyre not gonna say they have a problem and theyre def not gonna start telling customers that b/c they want the sales, dont lie to yourselves you know its true all of you, i got f***** and I never should have trusted them, my opinion is go with aps spend the extra grand or so and know that your safe even with putting on a catback exhaust, and miaplaya stop hating on gus when he says everything thats right and you know it, hes just stating facts that you know very well are true bout the reflash.
Since you're going to go on the defensive, I have a few questions for you.

1. Since you had boost and A/F gauges in the car, what were the values you were seeing in the car when it let go? Were you watching?

2. Did you research an exhaust swap here on the forum before you did the swap or at least before you went out and pushed the car?

3. Considering that the car dyno'd originally with an AFR in the high 10's, are you seriously going to point fingers at Turbonetics with phrases like "I got f***ed and I never should have trusted them"? They gave you a nearly perfect out of the box tune, as your original dyno's indicated. Perhaps you should point fingers at the exhaust manufacturer for not printing a warning about how you should re-tune your F/I system after installing their exhaust.

4. Your motor was VERY recently replaced. How many miles on the new engine before the Tnetics kit went on? Were you through the break in period yet?

The initial prognosis based on the plugs is that the car "looked to be running lean". That doesn't mean that it WAS running lean, or at least lean enough to be dangerous, and that this wouldn't have happened to you anyway. This is a risky game, as JET so eloquently stated.

I'm one of the guys who has spent THOUSANDS of dollars above and beyond the cost of the Turbonetics kit (dare I say enough to buy a whole additional kit) to obtain a proper A/F ratio because the reflash simply didn't work on my car. I'm one of the guys who researches constantly and plays it safe whenever the health of my engine was in question. JETPILOT, Peking, 35ounces, Taurran....we live(d) in the F/I forum, bugged the **** out of MIA and Turbonetics when we had questions about the operation of our cars and/or F/I on this car in general. If you had done even a little of the same, your engine might possibly still be healthy.

Now, all of the above aside, I'm not saying this doesn't suck for you, 'cause it definitely does and I feel for you. However, if you spend 10 minutes researching this kit here on the forums, you'll find probably a half dozen threads that talk about the reflash and it's susceptibility to differences between cars with various mods. It's the nature of the beast, and GReddy owners went through something similar with the lack of ignition timing contol on that kit.

What are your plans now? Are you going to rebuild it the car and put an EMS on it, or are you throwing in the towel? FWIW, projectsherv is running this car on a built motor at something like 15 PSI and having a blast with it.

As for the feuders.....this aint the place...keep it civil please. No more flaming or name calling...please!
Old 12-17-2005, 05:06 PM
JisNis

Originally Posted by kcobean
Perhaps you should point fingers at the exhaust manufacturer for not printing a warning about how you should re-tune your F/I system after installing their exhaust.
Shouldnt this be more of the Turbo systems responsibility?
Old 12-17-2005, 05:13 PM
kcobean

Originally Posted by JisNis
Shouldnt this be more of the Turbo systems responsibility?
My point is that it sounds like his kit was almost perfect "out of the box", then he changed a dependency of the kit...the exhaust. The way I see it, he bought something that worked, he changed the system as a whole, which broke it, and now is b!tching because it broke. It's kinda like the people who spill hot coffee on their ***** at the drive through and sue McDonalds for not warning them that the coffee was hot.

It should be a given that if you change a dependency of the kit, the tune is now "in question". Don't go beat on the car until you've verified that it's safe. If it proves to be unsafe, then you can either re-flash to add more fuel, or do what I did...Them's the facts.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:03 PM
Zexy

350BiTurbo, Bottom line i hope you get this issue solved man. I would not give this up that quick.

Originally Posted by westpak
Trust me I am not having ulcers I know about your feable mind from prior experience.

I would say how do we prove you wrong since you statements do not make sense.
Ok retard
Old 12-17-2005, 06:04 PM
kcobean

350BiTurbo, i hope you get this issue solved man. I would not give this up that quick.

Ok retard
I said enough with the name calling.....please.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:20 PM
G352NV

I think it would be great if TN had a good EM setup. BUT bottom line how many of these threads have we seen? NOT MANY! If I was in the market for FI TN would be my first choice!
Old 12-17-2005, 06:38 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by kcobean
My point is that it sounds like his kit was almost perfect "out of the box", then he changed a dependency of the kit...the exhaust. The way I see it, he bought something that worked, he changed the system as a whole, which broke it, and now is b!tching because it broke. It's kinda like the people who spill hot coffee on their ***** at the drive through and sue McDonalds for not warning them that the coffee was hot.

It should be a given that if you change a dependency of the kit, the tune is now "in question". Don't go beat on the car until you've verified that it's safe. If it proves to be unsafe, then you can either re-flash to add more fuel, or do what I did...Them's the facts.
I agree but you wonder if what some are experiencing with the increased boost just from exhaust is related to the wastegate size/location like Jetpilot is trying to find out, I think there is more to just adding an exhaust causing the boost to go up so much since it is not really that big of a change, as an example with my 300ZX TT I removed all cats and went to straight through 2.5" piping and boost just creeped up 2 psi from 9 to 11. I think just more info for people to know.

350BiTurbo, Bottom line i hope you get this issue solved man. I would not give this up that quick.

Ok retard
Very mature.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:39 PM
ZON

Originally Posted by G352NV
I think it would be great if TN had a good EM setup. BUT bottom line how many of these threads have we seen? NOT MANY! If I was in the market for FI TN would be my first choice!
+1

Quick Reply: Turbonetics kit, BLOWN motor, i just dont have luck with this car