Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbo Seal Leaking Oil on Turbonetics Turbo ????

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 08:05 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo Seal Leaking Oil on Turbonetics Turbo ????

Well to add another problem to my list.... I may have a leaky oil seal on my Turbonetics turbo. That's my best guess anyway.

Comming off WOT on decel the car blows a huge puff of white smokeas soo nas yuou get off the gas. White smoke is visible in the exhaust for the next few minutes if stopped at a traffic light.

I have only had the turbo kit on for about 6 weeks, and had no previous signs of smoke until after I had some tuning done with the Turbo XS UTEC.

Car seems to drive fine except for the cloud of white smoke on decel after WOT. I am going to do a leak down test tomorrow to make sure it isn't a blown motor but I don't think it is or it would smoke all the time.

What are the chances it's a turbocharger oil seal?

I imagine this would be covered by the TN warranty? How do I go about making a claim if it's the oil seal?

Respect
JET
Old 12-27-2005, 08:11 PM
BobbyRitz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Well to add another problem to my list.... I may have a leaky oil seal on my Turbonetics turbo. That's my best guess anyway.

Comming off WOT on decel the car blows a huge puff of white smokeas soo nas yuou get off the gas. White smoke is visible in the exhaust for the next few minutes if stopped at a traffic light.

I have only had the turbo kit on for about 6 weeks, and had no previous signs of smoke until after I had some tuning done with the Turbo XS UTEC.

Car seems to drive fine except for the cloud of white smoke on decel after WOT. I am going to do a leak down test tomorrow to make sure it isn't a blown motor but I don't think it is or it would smoke all the time.

What are the chances it's a turbocharger oil seal?

I imagine this would be covered by the TN warranty? How do I go about making a claim if it's the oil seal?

Respect
JET
Sup Jet. Talking to our friends in MD, I hear that this is an engineering issue with the TN setup. That said, there is a more than GOOD chance that you're right on point with the turbocharger oil seal.

I've been researching turbo setups as I plan to go that route this spring. I'm no expert and I'm sure the vendors will respond. As a matter of fact, I look forward to their responses as well.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:15 PM
JETPILOT

What is the engineering issue exactly? What did u hear?

Respect
JET
Old 12-27-2005, 08:58 PM
accordfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doesn't white smoke = burning coolant? blue smoke= oil?
Old 12-27-2005, 09:03 PM
blk180sx

Originally Posted by BobbyRitz
Sup Jet. Talking to our friends in MD, I hear that this is an engineering issue with the TN setup. That said, there is a more than GOOD chance that you're right on point with the turbocharger oil seal.

I've been researching turbo setups as I plan to go that route this spring. I'm no expert and I'm sure the vendors will respond. As a matter of fact, I look forward to their responses as well.
I'm curious what his response will be too. Give me a call in the morning jet. I'll issue a wa# so you can return it for repair or replacement (yes it is covered under warranty). 805-581-6710

I wish members like the one who is quoted about would come to the table with actual issues and not just what he heard.

BTW, if this turbo is bad. This is the first one in over a hundred turbos to go bad from our 350z kits. So what is this engineering issue that you speak of?
Old 12-27-2005, 09:08 PM
MIAPLAYA

I agree what engineering issue? Jet if possible could you peak under your car and make sure the return line from the turbo isn't kinked or has nay point were the turbo has to go "uphill" to get to the pan. It may have been removed when they plumbed in the new wastegate and may have an akward angle to it now. Its worth a look anyways. Otherwise yes the turbo will be replaced for free as Reggie said.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:21 PM
JETPILOT

Yes the oil line was removed and re-routed when the new wastegate was installed. I will have to check the routing tomorrow. That was on my list of things to check. This could be the likely culprit.

Thanks Reggie. But I'm not ready to call it a blown seal yet. I will run a leak down test first to see if it could be the motor. Then I wil check the oil return as said above. I will eliminate all other possibilies first.

Does my description sound like a seal gone bad?

Respect
JET
Old 12-27-2005, 10:33 PM
ht4

Yes the oil line was removed and re-routed when the new wastegate was installed. I will have to check the routing tomorrow. That was on my list of things to check. This could be the likely culprit.

Thanks Reggie. But I'm not ready to call it a blown seal yet. I will run a leak down test first to see if it could be the motor. Then I wil check the oil return as said above. I will eliminate all other possibilies first.

Respect
JET
As we all learned with the APS twins, the oil lines coming off turbos can be VERY finicky when the routing is not perfect. I think you are smart to rule this out first as it is more likely the culprit than a oil seal IMHO...
Old 12-27-2005, 10:36 PM
MIAPLAYA

Respect
JET
Well it could be three things, bad seal (not likely), oil return line not routed to allow proper drainging, orthe oil pan spacer you added is not allowing the oil to drain properly..I would hate to have you replace the turbo and see the line is fine and then still have the issue cause of the spacer...do you still have the orignial drain there? if so could you move the return line back and see if it persists?
Old 12-27-2005, 10:57 PM
JETPILOT

It's not the spacer as I didn't have this issue before. The kit was installed the same time the spacer was and I didn't have this problem after the install. It just showed up when the oil return line was moved.

I imagine the re-routing is the problem.

Thanks for helping me narrow it down to these possibilities.

I will hit it tomorrow.

Respect
JET
Old 12-27-2005, 11:18 PM
MIAPLAYA

It's not the spacer as I didn't have this issue before. The kit was installed the same time the spacer was and I didn't have this problem after the install. It just showed up when the oil return line was moved.

I imagine the re-routing is the problem.

Thanks for helping me narrow it down to these possibilities.

I will hit it tomorrow.

Respect
JET
Glad I could help out...as always let me know if I can help out at all..
Old 12-28-2005, 06:36 AM
Gman2004

Not trying to alarm you, but my car was smoking on decel when I would rev it hard and it turned out to be a fried piston. Remove your plugs and see what they look like. I had oil all over the driver's side plugs. Also my compression came back low (115) and I had 22% leak down. Even with all these symptoms the car ran fine, but after awhile the car started running like chit cause the plugs got so fouled. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:21 AM
D350Z10

DAmn jet, who installed your kit???
Old 12-28-2005, 10:12 AM
G352NV

Originally Posted by Gman2004
Not trying to alarm you, but my car was smoking on decel when I would rev it hard and it turned out to be a fried piston. Remove your plugs and see what they look like. I had oil all over the driver's side plugs. Also my compression came back low (115) and I had 22% leak down. Even with all these symptoms the car ran fine, but after awhile the car started running like chit cause the plugs got so fouled. Good luck.
Is SGP taking care of it?
Old 12-28-2005, 11:33 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by G352NV
Is SGP taking care of it?

Sure they are going to fix it, but I am paying for it. It wasn't their fault. When they tore out my motor they noticed something disconnected on the wastegate (I can't remember what he called it), but it was causing me to over boost. I was tuned to 12.5psi, but right before I had problems I hit 18psi a few times. I thought it was the weather....guess not. I think that might have contributed to my problem and then the car overheated.........the next day the ***** started blowing smoke.

The car is going to get fixed and the power is coming down to 450whp......boost controller is coming out and the car will boost at what the waste gate springs are set at which is 10-11psi.

Last edited by Gman2004; 12-28-2005 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:13 PM
tig488

you mean that built motor couldnt take a boost spike to 18psi, when my stock motor can take 19-20psi spikes. thats gotta suck. good luck with the rebuild, and oh yeah...

keep it.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by tig488
you mean that built motor couldnt take a boost spike to 18psi, when my stock motor can take 19-20psi spikes. thats gotta suck. good luck with the rebuild, and oh yeah...

keep it.
I think my problem was mostly due to overheating. The needle hit the H....yes the very top of hot before I noticed the *****. The very next morning it started blowing smoke. Anyway several things were fuked up from the oringal installer. I should have just shipped the car to SGP when the motor went the first time, instead of shipping just the motor.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:57 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gman2004
I should have just shipped the car to SGP when the motor went the first time, instead of shipping just the motor.
+1

I did the same thing as you, shipped the motor instead of the whole car. I would have been happily boosting for at least two or three months by now if I'd gone that route.

ps,

Gman, PM me about the w/i
Old 12-28-2005, 02:11 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by failsafe306
+1

I did the same thing as you, shipped the motor instead of the whole car. I would have been happily boosting for at least two or three months by now if I'd gone that route.
I feel your pain. You have been down for a long time. I am going on 2 months this time around. The first time lasted 3 months before I got my car back. Between all the installs and the build ups I driven my car 4 months this year.

ps,

Gman, PM me about the w/i
I tried to call SGP but they are closed for the holiday. Hopefully I can get you an answer by Monday.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:53 PM
JETPILOT

OK... compression/leak test is as follows. Leak down number was taken 20 seconds from peak.

Cylinder
1. 197/193
2. 182/180
3. 195/190
4. 205/202
5. 197/195
6. 192/192

So no blown motor.

I cut some extra legnth off the oil return line and rerouted it in a more efficient way, and got the same results. Smoke after getting off WOT.

Spark plugs look real clean. No oil in the combustion chambers being burned.

So it looks like it's the seal on the turbo. Any thing more I should check before callign it an oil seal? I can't think of anything else.

Respect
JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 12-28-2005 at 03:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Turbo Seal Leaking Oil on Turbonetics Turbo ????