Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech Drama (rattle..rattle) Continues.....need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 06:26 AM
g8tor20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech Drama (rattle..rattle) Continues.....need advice

Hey guys. I posted a video awhile back of my horrible rattle noise coming from my Vortech Blower. Easily, most people said it was not normal and something was wrong. So...I took it to a shop to get diagnosed. The car stethascope thing located the noise in the blower. And taking the cog offf shut it up. So...I took it to Lokey Infiniti Performance Division and they too said it was the blower. So...I paid them to take it off and send it back to Vortech. Vortech said they found absolutley nothing wrong with it. They replaced the bearings and seals anyways. So...I get it back yesterday and have it put back on the car. NOISE IS STILL F'IN THERE!!

So...I just spent $400 bucks, downtime on the car and a day off of work for nothing. I call Vortech and they tell me the other possibility is the jackshaft but I have to send them my whole bracket assembly.

Here is the kicker though...both shops said the noise was coming from the blower. Should I pay more money to ship out the bracket assembly to see its the jackshaft? Should I just have TS raise the idle to 1100 (where it eventually shuts up), live with it or just end the Vortech headache and take it off? I don't know what to do and I hate throwing good money after bad. Just figured I'd get some of your thoughts on this. TIA

Jason
Old 01-12-2006, 06:28 AM
g8tor20

Here is the original link for the people who didn't hear it the first time

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ghlight=rattle
Old 01-12-2006, 06:30 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you send the video to Vortech? Id want their opinion after having them hear it. But if I was in your shoes, Id prolly just raise the idle and forget it. No use spending more money and down time on the jackshaft-something that might not even fix the problem. Good luck to you.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:32 AM
g8tor20

Yes...i sent that link to Vortech and they said it was 'normal' noise. Riiiiiiight. I have heard many other Vortech G/Z and mine is not normal. So...I bucked up and shipped it out hoping it would fix it and they said nothing was wrong. So...rattle is still there. Big headache....
Old 01-12-2006, 06:37 AM
Gman2004

I am sorry to hear your troubles continue, but based on the number of people that have posted that they have the same noise (including me when I had the vortech), it is pretty safe to say it is normal. Maybe yours is a little louder than most, but I agree with Alberto. Just raise the idle and be done with it. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2006, 06:53 AM
g8tor20

Originally Posted by Gman2004
I am sorry to hear your troubles continue, but based on the number of people that have posted that they have the same noise (including me when I had the vortech), it is pretty safe to say it is normal. Maybe yours is a little louder than most, but I agree with Alberto. Just raise the idle and be done with it. Good luck!
Thats looking the way I might go. I may give the bracket thing a shot if the labor wont kill me.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:04 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by g8tor20
Hey guys. I posted a video awhile back of my horrible rattle noise coming from my Vortech Blower. Easily, most people said it was not normal and something was wrong. So...I took it to a shop to get diagnosed. The car stethascope thing located the noise in the blower. And taking the cog offf shut it up. So...I took it to Lokey Infiniti Performance Division and they too said it was the blower. So...I paid them to take it off and send it back to Vortech. Vortech said they found absolutley nothing wrong with it. They replaced the bearings and seals anyways. So...I get it back yesterday and have it put back on the car. NOISE IS STILL F'IN THERE!!

So...I just spent $400 bucks, downtime on the car and a day off of work for nothing. I call Vortech and they tell me the other possibility is the jackshaft but I have to send them my whole bracket assembly.

Here is the kicker though...both shops said the noise was coming from the blower. Should I pay more money to ship out the bracket assembly to see its the jackshaft? Should I just have TS raise the idle to 1100 (where it eventually shuts up), live with it or just end the Vortech headache and take it off? I don't know what to do and I hate throwing good money after bad. Just figured I'd get some of your thoughts on this. TIA

Jason
I think i might know your car. is it being worked on in jax fl? i know of a guy with a nice black z getting a problem like this looked at by my buddy's shop.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:13 AM
g8tor20

Originally Posted by PoWeRtRiP
I think i might know your car. is it being worked on in jax fl? i know of a guy with a nice black z getting a problem like this looked at by my buddy's shop.
No...it was being worked on in Tampa.

It seems to be a universal issue with this unit. Mine just happens to be super loud. Let me know what you buddy's shop says. Also...would your buddy's shop be interested in doing the labor if I get the new bracket assembly if I do go that route? Lemme know. Thanks
Old 01-12-2006, 07:38 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, I can't believe your still having problems, sorry to here.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:08 AM
dimebagdolf

Man,

Sorry to hear about the problem.

I know Vortech's make some funny noises, but that really doesn't sound normal to me.

I'll fire mine up and give a comparison listen when I get home tonight.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:05 AM
PoWeRtRiP

No...it was being worked on in Tampa.

It seems to be a universal issue with this unit. Mine just happens to be super loud. Let me know what you buddy's shop says. Also...would your buddy's shop be interested in doing the labor if I get the new bracket assembly if I do go that route? Lemme know. Thanks
the owner of that car had sent the blower back to vortech but was told its fine. he then took it to another shop and had the bearings replaced. needless to say it still made noises so he took it to my friends shop, theyve had it for almost 3 weeks now trying out different stuff to make it go away.

the noise is described by my buddy as loud bearing noise at idle and under operation. im surprised vortech didnt fix it while they had it.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:08 AM
g8tor20

Sounds like the same problem. Well..I think I'll try the bracket (jackshaft) swap and if that doesnt fix it...raise the idle. I'm determined to drive this car without a rattle. I have spent way too much money to give up now.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:16 AM
rxtrom

On the second video posted in the link above it looks like the belt jumps everytime a "rattle" noise is made. Maybe it could be the jackshaft, or maybe simple as some ribs broken in the belt. Keep us posted
Old 01-12-2006, 10:33 AM
g8tor20

It only jumps b/c i loosed the cog belt a little. It used to be tight (last video posted) and it made a worse noise. Loosening the cog quites it down a bit but it does look like its flopping around but the cog still spins smoothly (no slipping or anything).
Old 01-12-2006, 10:42 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Sounds like the same problem. Well..I think I'll try the bracket (jackshaft) swap and if that doesnt fix it...raise the idle. I'm determined to drive this car without a rattle. I have spent way too much money to give up now.
ill ask him if they ever fixed it. if so ill let u know and give u his contact info. best of luck with your s/c. its frustrating to spend that much money for a pos sounding blower.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:55 AM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That does suck... I'm still considering the VORTECH for late spring...

O'well, I'll just have the installer tighten up the belt and increase the idle to 1k+ if I do have this problem. I can stand a whine, but not sounds similar to a bike with cards in the spokes.

Zquicksilver
Old 01-12-2006, 11:22 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry you're having to go through that...you might also want to calling Sam at Coastal. He's done a lot of Vortech installs on G35s and Z's.

They are just off 75 in Brandon.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:58 PM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

Hi Jason,
Sorry to here about your problems. I've had the Vortech on my "Z" for 30,000 Miles. When I first installed it - I thought that there was a problem with it. Way to much gear noise. I played the the tension on the cog belt and that helped. If you would like to here my car, I'm in Spring Hill, florida.
Timrod
Old 01-12-2006, 01:03 PM
booger

Yes...they all make this noise . Yours does seem very loud . Ive gotten mine to stop only a few times . By adjusting the cog belt and getting it just right . Its hard to find that sweet spot . I dont have my car here to go out and see , but see if you can get a straight edge on the bracket . To see if it straight . It may get pulled to the front from having the serp belt really tight.

And DAM that Street Fire is getting bad , Takes for every to play the vid
Old 01-12-2006, 03:34 PM
neffster

Jason, Timrod is Danny's bud that helped me when my pulley broke. Since you're over at SFLG35's house so much, why not let him check out your set up?

+1 on the rpm increase. Maybe you can get it increased enough so you don't lock yourself out of your car any more... KPTech mods rule!!!

Quick Reply: Vortech Drama (rattle..rattle) Continues.....need advice