Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech Sucks, Part 20

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 12:19 PM
g8tor20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sentry65
there's always a few people with any given kit that have problems with it
Its not the issue of having problems with it....everything has their problems...but they wont stand behind their damn product and help me out. I have suggested things over and over again but their reposnse is...its normal. The G/Z Vortechs make bad noise. If you dont think it is normal...send it in. I did and nothign got fixed.

If you have been following my threads...I have been very patient with them and trying to come to a resolution. I paid good money for this chit and they don't want to help. Pain in the *** if you ask me.

(Its not like we are talking about a $5 product....I spent like $4k on this damn blower!!)
Old 02-20-2006, 12:19 PM
g8tor20

Originally Posted by Gman2004
I will help out and email them as well and I don't even have a Vortech. Someone start the thread I am sure you will get a chit load of support from the FI crowd here.
Thanks Jorge...you have always been understanding with me on this...I thank you....
Old 02-20-2006, 12:21 PM
g8tor20

Originally Posted by SungNamZ
Vortech's Technical Department, did receive my 14 page fax and is reviewing, but with it being Monday I guess they are getting a lot of phone calls with issues. I will be calling back!

I have been sending the fax to: 805-247-0669 What I have always wondered is HOW BIG is Vortech and do they have Coorporate Head or just a Technical Service and Customer Service (i.e. Parts ordering) Department?
Put it this way..everytime I call....I get the same woman answering the phone and everytime I go to Technical Support...I either get Mariano or Jaime. Seems to be a small operation.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:22 PM
g8tor20

Well..its official. Vortech will not send me a replacement blower. My "only option" is to send back whatever I think is the problem for re-inspection!

:SIGH:
Old 02-20-2006, 12:23 PM
g8tor20

Originally Posted by dixieland
Another thought - i know someone suggested making sure that the cog bolt (not tension pulley bolt) was tight. This cog does not have a nut/washer combination on the back of the blower but more of smooth end with an allen-wrench looking insert on the back (kindof hard to get to so i have not been able to see if i can tighten this part yet). Makes sense though, if with a little play in the cog itself, that if we could tighten the allenwrench part we might be able to tighten that cog up and get rid of the rattle. I will try and find something that will allow me to test the tightness of this when i get home tonight and post my findings. if you have already tried this please let me know.
Please keep me updated....
Old 02-20-2006, 12:31 PM
g8tor20

Okay. I have met my end with Vortech....here was my last email to them...and I linked this thread so that they can see, in some small way, this affects sales.

"Thats too bad. After all I have tried to do....I was patient with you guys. I sent in my blower already and nothing got done. Ohh well.... I'll probably take the whole kit off soon and send back everything for you guys to find the problem so I can resell it without a rattle. Until then...I will make sure that every prospective purchaser understands what they are getting into. Thanks for your time nonetheless.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....40#post2129440

Good day,

Jason"
Old 02-20-2006, 12:34 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope things get worked out and that vortech steps up and fixes this mess

Still, I wouldn't be all that suprised if greddy, PE, SSR, and ATI pulled the same sorta thing as vortech

JWT, Stillen, and APS I could see handling things a little better, but then again who knows.
turbonetics seems to have the best policy with fixing stuff.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:39 PM
g8tor20

And it kills me that they keep saying that its normal. I'm tired of that word.

First...they send this:

"You should probably send in your blower to get inspected, the video you sent of the vehicle running did not sound right. Just fill out this info and I will get you an RA# . . . . . ."

Then I inform them that I already sent it back...and then all of a sudden it goes back to being "normal" gear backlash.

Go with another kit....too many people have headaches. You will find more than a few people who had the Vortech and then dumped it for another FI system. Caveat Emptor!
Old 02-20-2006, 12:46 PM
sentry65
the burninator

i'm assuming that the hole that was drilled into the upper oil pan is patchable if you decide to take out the vortech?
Old 02-20-2006, 12:49 PM
g8tor20

I'm assuming that many people have taken it off before and its patchable. I'll learn all about it whenever I take the kit off
Old 02-20-2006, 12:53 PM
CaneZMD

Hey Gator,

Just curious, how long have you had the kit and does the knock go away at higher RPM's (1500 or so).

My Vortech originally had a rattle that sounded like a spray paint can. It went away after I tightened the jackshaft. Most all vortech's have a slight rattle at idle, but it disappears above say 1200-1500 rpm.

Oh, and, the gators suck! Go Canes! (although, not with Coker, 'cause he sucks too)
Old 02-20-2006, 01:00 PM
g8tor20

Originally Posted by CaneZMD
Hey Gator,

Just curious, how long have you had the kit and does the knock go away at higher RPM's (1500 or so).

My Vortech originally had a rattle that sounded like a spray paint can. It went away after I tightened the jackshaft. Most all vortech's have a slight rattle at idle, but it disappears above say 1200-1500 rpm.

Oh, and, the gators suck! Go Canes! (although, not with Coker, 'cause he sucks too)
I had the kit put on in August. It sounded fine until Novemeber. I understand that there is a slight rattle. I have posted it on here and Driver to see if it is indeed "nomral" and the overwhelming response was that its not.

Yes...the sound is only evident below 1200 RPMs however....the noise was unbearable Listen to it here:
http://videos.streetfire.net/player....1-6D3714577131

I would drop it to "N" and keep it revved above 1200 b/c I couldnt take it anymore.

I know it shouldnt sound like that...but Vortech refuses to step up and fix it....ohh well. Lifes too short.

And you know the Gators are #1 in the state now. Boooya. You've had your fun...now it our turn.

And in case you didnt know.....the Gators swept the Canes in Baseball for the first time ever last week!!! ( http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?i...219051300.html ) <-- had to rub it in.

Last edited by g8tor20; 02-20-2006 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:05 PM
prescience

Man,

I have Vortech and I love it - but if I had seen this bad press and justified bad press at that, it would most likely have put me off.

ARE YOU LISTENING VORTECH!
Old 02-20-2006, 01:06 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you speak to the President or the General manager. Get someone higher up involved. If they hear the entire story, IN WRITING....from your perspective, maybe they will be inclined to help you.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:10 PM
sentry65
the burninator

yeah i bought my vortech tuner kit back in nov and am still waiting for a few more parts on backorder to come in before i take everything down to get installed.

It seems like the past few months there's been a lot of vortech people posting lately or people who have bought the kit and are either having problems with it or wanting to make it better - pulley or intake or blower or whatever. So it's nice that there's a large support group for it - can't say that about the ATI kit so much since it seems like there's I dunno, 3-4x as many vortechs as ATI kits
Old 02-20-2006, 01:11 PM
g8tor20

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Can you speak to the President or the General manager. Get someone higher up involved. If they hear the entire story, IN WRITING....from your perspective, maybe they will be inclined to help you.
Thanks Sharif. I have asked for the higher ups. Apparently...Jaime R. is the higehst it goes. I'll send something in writing to the Vortech administartion (if there is such a thing) and bypass the tech help altogether. That got me nowehere.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:12 PM
prescience

This any use...

VORTECH COMPANY HISTORY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vortech Engineering, LLC, is an advanced technology and manufacturing company serving customers worldwide with centrifugal/industrial drying, aeration, de-watering and blow-off systems, supercharging systems and components. The corporation, which is headquartered in Channel Islands, California, employs 70 people and has four major business units: Engineered Material Services, Automotive, Marine and Vortron Industrial.

James K. Middlebrook is president of the privately held corporation that was founded in 1990, growing from $270,000 to over $12 million in sales. Recognized as a leader in establishing performance standards, Vortech holds six US Patents for centrifugal blower and supercharger technology. Vortech has received three "Best Engineered New Product" awards in the past decade from the Specialty Equipment and Manufacturers Association (SEMA) more than any other company in the industry.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:13 PM
g8tor20

Originally Posted by prescience
This any use...

VORTECH COMPANY HISTORY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vortech Engineering, LLC, is an advanced technology and manufacturing company serving customers worldwide with centrifugal/industrial drying, aeration, de-watering and blow-off systems, supercharging systems and components. The corporation, which is headquartered in Channel Islands, California, employs 70 people and has four major business units: Engineered Material Services, Automotive, Marine and Vortron Industrial.

James K. Middlebrook is president of the privately held corporation that was founded in 1990, growing from $270,000 to over $12 million in sales. Recognized as a leader in establishing performance standards, Vortech holds six US Patents for centrifugal blower and supercharger technology. Vortech has received three "Best Engineered New Product" awards in the past decade from the Specialty Equipment and Manufacturers Association (SEMA) more than any other company in the industry.
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!! James should be receiving a letter from me this week.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:15 PM
prescience

and he's still the man ...

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...iday_2005.html

If it was me' I'd be putting that JFK quote nice and prominently in my letter
Old 02-20-2006, 01:15 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got back from the shop that installed my blower and have talked to them about the noise .

g8tor20....Yours does sound louder than any other Ive heard . [ from vids ]
The shop that did mine is a certified Vortech installer and is on thier web site as so . At low rpm ,the gears inside the blower are turning slower and they do have play or backlash . This is what is making the noise . About all you can do is bump up the idle to get it to quite down .

I feel for ya g8tor20 , but its the nature of the blower and the way it is geared . Maybe yours is on the out side edge of being with in spec as far as backlash is concerned . And thats why its louder than most .

Vortech's tech's are not what you would call experts by any means . I think they have a script in front of them that they go by . The only guys that really know anything about the blowers are the guys in back doing the work on them

Quick Reply: Vortech Sucks, Part 20