Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech Sucks, Part 20

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 08:02 AM
g8tor20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech Sucks, Part 20

Ok. I'm pretty pissed off at the moment and this is why.

Most of you know my Vortech began making an awful sound. I have repeatedly posted it and had to be fixed. I sent videos and audio to vortech who insisted that it was normal, though I know what normal is as the blower worked fine for a few months before developing this rattle.

They told me to send the blower in for inspection. I took it to 2 different shops and they diagnosed the problem as the blower, so I figured...what the hell. I spent $400 bucks taking it off, shipping it and putting it back on when it came. Nothing was fixed. Vortech said everything looked fine. Fustration mounting....

Well...I was fiddling around with the blower when the cog belt was off and found that the back gearing seemed to wiggle and made a rattle sound. I figured...this could be it....so I send the video and all back to Vortech.

The new tech listens to the rattle nad says that somethng is wrong and for me to send the blower back in. He had no idea that I had just sent it in a few weeks prior when everything "was fine".

After I asked why this wasn't found on the first go-round.....they replied that "the backlash sounds normal but we'll be happy to reinspect it if you send it in again"

WTF WTF WTF WTF

Now its back to being normal and I can, at my own expense again, send it in for inspection. I have pleaded with them to send a new blower, or a refurbished one just to stop this downtime and added costs on this pos blower i have.

I understand that its hard for them to diagnose problems 3000 miles away...but...I have given them video after video and they say its normal. Then they say something is wrong...then its back to normal again. I know its not normal b/c I keep posting this stuff on my350z and Driver and it certainly seems to NOT be the norm. I sent the damn thing back and i get no help. Money well spent. (side note: I was even assured that they would put the carb sticker on there but they failed to do that while they had it too)

What can I do? Buck up and resend it out there again for the chance of fixing it? I have no other choice I guess. I may attempt to take the blower off myself and save the labor charges. I'm not one who likes to mess with mechanical stuff...but....I can't keep paying $400 for Vortech to say nothing is wrong. This f'in blows.

If I have to troll every damn forum out there and let everyone know of the "normal" sounds of the vortech (and give them a link to my video) and make them lose sales...I will. They have given me the run around too many damn timnes. I've been more than patient till now.

From here on out...I will make my opinion of Vortech known to any prospective purchaser.......
Old 02-20-2006, 08:12 AM
Kam350z

I don't know what you can do .... but that SUCKS man. Sorry to hear you're going through all that time and money. VORTECH SUCKS. Spread the word.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:15 AM
k3silk

it may sound petty but i would keep bothering them to send a new one document everything they say and if that dont go right file a suit against them for not holding up there warr.?
Old 02-20-2006, 08:17 AM
k3silk

for now after hearing all this bad **** about them it looks like i will be going with the stillen and they ugly hood...
Old 02-20-2006, 08:18 AM
g8tor20

Originally Posted by k3silk
it may sound petty but i would keep bothering them to send a new one document everything they say and if that dont go right file a suit against them for not holding up there warr.?
Thanks for the suggestions. As an attorney...I've thought about that. But...their warranty, as written, sucks as it is. Not only that...but...most likely (I havent checked) but they have a venue clause for their home county in California. I'm in Florida. I would have to hire someone and possibly use an attorneys fee provision to make it worthwhile. I'll check out my options soon enough.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:46 AM
SungNamZ

I sometimes wish manufacturers would subscribe to some of these sites that have Threads and Posts could and see what is being said about their products. Perhaps post their own comments from the Technical staff. I just sent Vortech 14 pages of posts on my recent find on COG Pulley installation.

I just printed out a copy of your Thread with all the negative posts. Perhaps sending it to Vortech by fax will get it into the hands of someone who cares?
Old 02-20-2006, 08:53 AM
g8tor20

Originally Posted by SungNamZ
I sometimes wish manufacturers would subscribe to some of these sites that have Threads and Posts could and see what is being said about their products. Perhaps post their own comments from the Technical staff. I just sent Vortech 14 pages of posts on my recent find on COG Pulley installation.

I just printed out a copy of your Thread with all the negative posts. Perhaps sending it to Vortech by fax will get it into the hands of someone who cares?
Ive spoken with 2 techs and the head guy (Jaime R) and they keep giving me the runaround. Now they say its normal and just send the unit back to them for re-inspection. They refuse to pay for any labor on this even though this is the 2nd time. (I just sent it in a month ago)

I presented an alternative to send me a new blower and ill pay for the labor in exchanging them. This was a nogo either.

I have sent them links to this site before....no avail. Its funny how they say stuff is "normal", yet nobody else's makes that wiggle noise. Greta stuff...

I realized that i have over 3000 posts on Driver and I will make "Vortech sucks" my signature so its plasted on 3000 posts over there and a few hundred over here.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:56 AM
g8tor20

Next time you talk with them...tell them that my problem isnt normal. lol

Who are you faxing stuff to?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:25 AM
dixieland

doesnt' sound like things are going too well with Vortech today Jason. I have been waiting to hear what they say about the cog rattle after you and i posted back and forth yesterday. I am hoping that SungNamZ's fax sheads some light on the subject and offers a solution.

So, what are you going to do? Are you going to send the blower back again? Did they look at the new video of the rattling cog with the belt off? Did they say this normal or something is wrong, or both?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:29 AM
dixieland

Another thought - i know someone suggested making sure that the cog bolt (not tension pulley bolt) was tight. This cog does not have a nut/washer combination on the back of the blower but more of smooth end with an allen-wrench looking insert on the back (kindof hard to get to so i have not been able to see if i can tighten this part yet). Makes sense though, if with a little play in the cog itself, that if we could tighten the allenwrench part we might be able to tighten that cog up and get rid of the rattle. I will try and find something that will allow me to test the tightness of this when i get home tonight and post my findings. if you have already tried this please let me know.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:33 AM
ARMSTRONGARMS

well we could do something the old fashioned way, is get everyone on here that would be interested in blower or just want to help out a fellow z. by emailing vortech w/ questions, e.g. hello i am interested in your product but the forum i frequent has raised some questions. i have notice that several people have heard wierd noises,etc.blah,blah. and was wondering if you had made any product changes to remedy this, and or /does your warranty cover this, ask about replacement stuff,etc. with this many people on this board and driver you could get at least 100 people. that would open up some eyes. if you can start a post getting a list of names of people willing to do this, im in. that way they can get flooded with these responses within a week or so. I really think this would help?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:37 AM
dixieland

somebody want to start a thread and i will put my name on it as well.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:39 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much is it to buy a new blower or one of the S-trim blowers or whatever?
Old 02-20-2006, 10:01 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

i sure hope this gets resolved for you,that noise is the main reson i went stillen.a lot of freinds that have vortech have that same damn noise and cant fix it.good luck.ps mostly mustangs.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:10 AM
SungNamZ

I was thinking of going with a new or upgraded blower. Told Vortech my "Z" was my daily driver, wanted to avoid downtime and asked the price. I was told by Vortech $1800.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:14 AM
chimmike

this stuff is making me glad I bought the TN kit, even if it's taken me a damn long time to install and I barely see light at the end of the tunnel.

good luck man.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:15 AM
SungNamZ

Originally Posted by g8tor20
Next time you talk with them...tell them that my problem isnt normal. lol

Who are you faxing stuff to?
Vortech's Technical Department, did receive my 14 page fax and is reviewing, but with it being Monday I guess they are getting a lot of phone calls with issues. I will be calling back!

I have been sending the fax to: 805-247-0669 What I have always wondered is HOW BIG is Vortech and do they have Coorporate Head or just a Technical Service and Customer Service (i.e. Parts ordering) Department?
Old 02-20-2006, 10:50 AM
znot

wow, Vortech customer service....F+............that's why i'm 99% going with Turbonetics single.......read someone crashed their ride and turbonetics replaced a few parts no questioned asked.....i wonder what Vortechs response would be?!
great to get real world feedback.....ok, one less customer for Vortech from just reading this thread.

g8tor20....you can use my post if it'll help you in anyway....i mean what else can they not do for you, right?
Old 02-20-2006, 11:06 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by dixieland
somebody want to start a thread and i will put my name on it as well.
I will help out and email them as well and I don't even have a Vortech. Someone start the thread I am sure you will get a chit load of support from the FI crowd here.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:39 AM
sentry65
the burninator

there's always a few people with any given kit that have problems with it

Quick Reply: Vortech Sucks, Part 20