Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech Sucks, Part 20

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 12:32 PM
g8tor20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atlsupdawg#2
g8tor20,
Granted you have not sent your parts in, would it be possible for you to record your car at idle next to another vortech equiped Z or G? I really don't know if that would be feasible at this point but may help better diagnos the problem when compared side by side..
I have heard other Vortech'd Gs and Zs. Mine has an awful racket. I have posted it in here and Driver on many occasions. I do not have a side by side b/c there arent any other S/C G's near me. But....by listening to anyones Blower and mine...you will hear the difference. And I know it isnt normal b/c it didnt start like this...it developed it over the first few months and got worse. I had to just take the cog off in fear of damaging something
Old 02-21-2006, 01:08 PM
atlsupdawg#2

Originally Posted by g8tor20
I have heard other Vortech'd Gs and Zs. Mine has an awful racket. I have posted it in here and Driver on many occasions. I do not have a side by side b/c there arent any other S/C G's near me. But....by listening to anyones Blower and mine...you will hear the difference. And I know it isnt normal b/c it didnt start like this...it developed it over the first few months and got worse. I had to just take the cog off in fear of damaging something
It's cool bro... Not questioning you at all, as I've heard the video from a previous post.

Just thought it would be better for those guys up at Vortech to actually hear the difference so they clearly understand that something just ain't right..
Old 02-21-2006, 01:28 PM
SungNamZ

Originally Posted by athenG
but if he went to a vortech shop and they say it's the blower then that should be accepted. This is the reason why i'm leaning towards TN, customer service is more important to me than the price! Hope this will be the end of it.
We keep seeing "vortech shop"! What makes a shop a "vortech shop"? The fact that they can order a Vortech kit? They can install and tune a Vortech kit? The shop and personnel are "Certified" by Vortech? There are a number of shops here in Albuquerque that can order and install Vortech kits, but I don't know if I would want to call ALL of them Vortech Shops!

The Vortech SC has numerous parts. How many people have looked at your "Z" and remarked has to the fit and how did they squeeze that in there? I have had to go as far as to apply a lubricat to some of the tubing to get it to pass down from the MAF to the IC. Have even seen tape and padding added to lines to keep them from touching and vibrating. Then you also have the oil dip stick that can hit the COG. "CaneZMD" even made a comment about a part that came in contact with the COG.

I have listened to the Audio recording. While it sounds terrible, I would not want to say with 100% assurity that it is the blower. For the sake of this thread, posts, g8tor20 and Vortech that the "noise" goes away once everything on the mount to include the mount is replaced!
Old 02-21-2006, 01:45 PM
SungNamZ

[QUOTE=publisher]
Originally Posted by SungNamZ

Nice to see Bob here on my350Z.com! He spends the majority of his time satisfying the chickz and some of us guyz (aka: TamaHills) over on ZChickz.com
QUOTE]

OK SungNamZ, you had to know this was coming

First of all, the ladies at ZChickZ love SZM and they are passionate about me (deal with it) and a whole lot easier on the eyes. VaVaVoom, you know what I'm saying ova heeerrraaa.

I enjoy satisfying the chickz, that's a good thing. Now, while I live in the west, I'm not an advocate of the Brokeback Mountain life style. Get what I'm saying?

Now this: I have over 600 posts on my350.com and less than 600 on Zchickz.com. Do the math dude.

Serious, maybe you can join us for lunch the next time I come down to Albuquerque to conduct mag bizz with Art and Bex.

Bob
Bob...You know I am having fun with ya!

In all honesty I have a lot more fun over on ZChicz than on other forums. Besides they know how to work on their "Z"s. You can learn a lot by looking at some of the write ups the have in their "Garage" section! Plus, how can you not enjoy posting and swapping "PM"s with Terri, Tere, Emma and Pamela. Sorry Chickz, I know I have left out many.

Still waiting to see the SZM shirt modeled by our girl in Canada. I don't think we will have to "censor" it

I agree, lets do have lunch the next time you come to Albuquerque!

Last edited by SungNamZ; 02-21-2006 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:19 PM
g8tor20

Originally Posted by SungNamZ
We keep seeing "vortech shop"! What makes a shop a "vortech shop"? The fact that they can order a Vortech kit? They can install and tune a Vortech kit? The shop and personnel are "Certified" by Vortech? There are a number of shops here in Albuquerque that can order and install Vortech kits, but I don't know if I would want to call ALL of them Vortech Shops!

The Vortech SC has numerous parts. How many people have looked at your "Z" and remarked has to the fit and how did they squeeze that in there? I have had to go as far as to apply a lubricat to some of the tubing to get it to pass down from the MAF to the IC. Have even seen tape and padding added to lines to keep them from touching and vibrating. Then you also have the oil dip stick that can hit the COG. "CaneZMD" even made a comment about a part that came in contact with the COG.

I have listened to the Audio recording. While it sounds terrible, I would not want to say with 100% assurity that it is the blower. For the sake of this thread, posts, g8tor20 and Vortech that the "noise" goes away once everything on the mount to include the mount is replaced!
I had the blower installed at CP Race in North Carolina...and I trust them 100% with my car. They have installed many kits. Matt the installer is a great guy who knows his stuff. I drove all the way there to get it done right.

When I say i took it to Vortech shops...what I meant were shops that have installed Vortech kits before and are on Vortech's website as authorized retailers. I will refrain from using their name but they are reputable shops who know what they are doing. I have 55K invested in my car...I don't take it just anywhere
Old 02-21-2006, 02:38 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow....I am glad this appears to finally be resolved.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:07 PM
neffster

Originally Posted by jamie805
... I will continue to read on and listen to any suggestions anyone has for our kits regardless of what car they are for and submit those ideas to our engineering dept when ever they are sent. But keep in mind I can only submit them, the ultimate decision to change things is not mine. ...
Sincerely,

Jamie Rabago
Why doesn't Vortech have an anti-backlash gear (or gear set) or even a set of master gears laying around the shop for situations like this? I know anti-backlash gears can cause accelerated wear when used for long periods of time, but for 'inspection' and 'fault isolation' this seems like a PERFECT way to determine if the backlash inside of the blower is the issue. Just replace the questionable gears inside of the housing with the MASTER GEARS or the anti-backlash gear(s), reassemble the housing and put the blower on a test fixture and crank it up. If the rattle is gone, simply replace the gear set with GOOD GEARS, retest it and you're good to go. Otherwise go to the next likely candidate...

After all, isn't the name of the company Vortech ENGINEERING?

Just my 2 cents...

Sincerely,
Neffster (former Vortech S/C owner)
Precision Mechanical Design Engineer
Lockheed Martin Missiles & Fire Control
Old 02-21-2006, 07:36 PM
CaneZMD

Hey Publisher, did you mean to write "ova" when talking about the zchickz or was that just done subconsciously?
Old 02-21-2006, 09:25 PM
znot

Originally Posted by neffster
Why doesn't Vortech have an anti-backlash gear (or gear set) or even a set of master gears laying around the shop for situations like this? I know anti-backlash gears can cause accelerated wear when used for long periods of time, but for 'inspection' and 'fault isolation' this seems like a PERFECT way to determine if the backlash inside of the blower is the issue. Just replace the questionable gears inside of the housing with the MASTER GEARS or the anti-backlash gear(s), reassemble the housing and put the blower on a test fixture and crank it up. If the rattle is gone, simply replace the gear set with GOOD GEARS, retest it and you're good to go. Otherwise go to the next likely candidate...

After all, isn't the name of the company Vortech ENGINEERING?

Just my 2 cents...

Sincerely,
Neffster (former Vortech S/C owner)
Precision Mechanical Design Engineer
Lockheed Martin Missiles & Fire Control

one word......effort.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:40 AM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Thumbs up

As was I obviously.

I agree, lets do have lunch the next time you come to Albuquerque![/QUOTE]

Sounds good. Does Art have your phone number?

Bob
Old 02-22-2006, 10:14 AM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally Posted by CaneZMD
Hey Publisher, did you mean to write "ova" when talking about the zchickz or was that just done subconsciously?
First of all, I'm a magazine owner and its publisher. However, I know squat about writing, spelling, editing, publishing and market research. Ova is in my spell checker, so I know it must be OK to use "ova" as in over here.

Secondly, I'm much too old to be worring about female body parts.

CaneLover, thanks for asking. I got a warm-fuzzy and a good giggle. I'm easily amused, youz see.

Go Canes.

Bob
Old 02-22-2006, 10:32 AM
theking

Wasn't this thread about Vortech?
Old 02-22-2006, 10:38 AM
publisher
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally Posted by theking
Wasn't this thread about Vortech?
It certainly is, would you like to contribute?

Bob
Old 02-22-2006, 12:54 PM
SungNamZ

Originally Posted by publisher

As was I obviously.

I agree, lets do have lunch the next time you come to Albuquerque!
Sounds good. Does Art have your phone number?

Bob
[/QUOTE]
He should have it! He and I communicate every now and then, especially when I was doing the Kinetix SSV testing. Also see each other a car events in ABQ, but not much has gone on during the winter. Will give him a call as soon as I post this response.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:35 PM
CpraceZ

I hope this thread does not turn people off to the vortech supercharger, it is really a shame that all this has happened, but I will be one to stick up for Vortech. Vortech has been nothing but great to us, and with any warranty issues we have had in the past. They make a great kit for not only the 350z and G35 but for many other cars. We have probably done 30-40 installs on Vortech 350zs, and G35s and yes we have had some noisy ones also, yet everything has been fine and nothing has been wrong with the supercharger. I really hope that people looking at the Vortech kit before this post was made still look into it and at least give Vortech or a authorized dealer a call before they are turn away from this kit. This is a great quality kit and does make really good power.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:52 PM
g8tor20

Originally Posted by CpraceZ
I hope this thread does not turn people off to the vortech supercharger, it is really a shame that all this has happened, but I will be one to stick up for Vortech. Vortech has been nothing but great to us, and with any warranty issues we have had in the past. They make a great kit for not only the 350z and G35 but for many other cars. We have probably done 30-40 installs on Vortech 350zs, and G35s and yes we have had some noisy ones also, yet everything has been fine and nothing has been wrong with the supercharger. I really hope that people looking at the Vortech kit before this post was made still look into it and at least give Vortech or a authorized dealer a call before they are turn away from this kit. This is a great quality kit and does make really good power.
That has never been the issue. It makes great power. Hell..I was at 385 with mostly stock parts. And it wasnt an issue of a noise...but the issue of it developing a noise. All S/C have a slight rattle....but mine developed a problem. Again...as I've said....when it works right....you cant beat the power from a Vortech as far as S/C go. I just wish my situation was handled better.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:57 PM
CpraceZ

All I am saying is I hope you did not turn people off from a great kit, Vortech is a great company and has great people working for them I will go to bat for these guys any day they have a great thing going on over there.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:38 PM
neffster

In all fairness... the kit is 'great' after you get all of the hardware sent out, a working split second box with your order, etc...

When Jason and I were getting our kits installed I was missing a bushing, a bearing and one other part. Jason's split second box didn't work right but fortunately for BOTH OF US the folks at CP Racing had a spare kit to canabalize. That makes them 0 for 2 as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldn't expect the nations 5th largest Vortech distributor (CP Racing) to say anything bad about their bread and butter, but I'm one to call a spade a spade.

Good kit, just a few things could be better IMO.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:50 PM
g8tor20

Originally Posted by neffster
In all fairness... the kit is 'great' after you get all of the hardware sent out, a working split second box with your order, etc...

When Jason and I were getting our kits installed I was missing a bushing, a bearing and one other part. Jason's split second box didn't work right but fortunately for BOTH OF US the folks at CP Racing had a spare kit to canabalize. That makes them 0 for 2 as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldn't expect the nations 5th largest Vortech distributor (CP Racing) to say anything bad about their bread and butter, but I'm one to call a spade a spade.

Good kit, just a few things could be better IMO.
Neff,

I couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 02-23-2006, 07:56 AM
DjCprace

Also to add to this we (CPRacing) offered to pick up the car and tow the car back to the shop while we were in Flordia for PRI. The offer was turned down because of the down time. We as a company have offered help but have been turned down. Us being one of the largest dealers for Vortech doesn't just come from selling Z and G kits, we do just as much for the whole industry. All I am saying is everyone has tried to help you and you wont take the help. I know Jamie personally and he would do anything he can to make you happy with product. With him getting the blower out the same day on a repair is doing alot. There is usually a 2-3 weeks lead time on all repairs and uprades.

Last edited by DjCprace; 02-23-2006 at 08:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Vortech Sucks, Part 20