Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

moroso - breather & oil seperator tank?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Yancy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Boost - Block pressure relief

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...3&autoview=sku

I've been advised that I should use this on my new built long block and that it can be used instead of the Greddy Oil catch tank. From what I've been told, the line for this is run from the block itself to vent pressure in the block that would cause oil to blow past the valves and into the heads. I guess this is something common in boosted or high hp engines? Also, I've been told the block already has a couple of ports that came with plugs for use for things like this? Is that the case - remove the plug and run the line for this product to it so the block can breath? I was showed this set up on an integra with a big turbo for an example. Can someone shed more light on this approach, is it safe, work, etc? Thanks.

Last edited by Yancy; 04-23-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:11 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I used the JAZ plastic 1 pint breather as seen at Jegs. Works. Not fancy.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:17 AM
mojo powered

although I am not an expert, I can tell you that a catch can does not need to be all that fancy at all. Sure the ARC one looks bling and the AAM modified one is even nicer, but as long as you do it right, they all do the same job the same exact way.

Make sure to plumb it right and you'll be golden.

gringott can probably walk you thru his installation.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont think they are all made out to be equal some have better baffling than others-dont cheap ones not have any bafflign inside at all?
Old 04-25-2006, 10:39 AM
gringott

With a breather type, baffling really isn't anything. You are venting to atmosphere, so the filter grabs the oil and vapors emerge. If you want baffling, just add steel wool. If you are hooking it to your intake, then you are not going to vent to atmosphere, so you have to be more careful on what you use for baffling, or get a internal baffled unit. Do a web search and you will see that people make them out of 2 dollar Walmart aluminum water bottles. Or buy the $250 plus ARC one.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Yancy

Default :)

The link to the product that I provided is not only a oil catch tank. It is also a breather for the pressure that is built up in the block of a hp or boosted engine. I've been told that your typical "catch tank" is nothing more than that - a catch tank for oil. The Moroso product is (1) a catch tank and (2) a breather for the block to release pressure that is built in the block itself (to prevent that pressure in the block to from forcing oil past the valves). See little air filter/breather.

Can someone elaborate on this more or I'm I off base? Does your typical oil catch tank run a line from the block as opposed to the heads?
Old 04-25-2006, 10:58 AM
gringott

That's right Yancy. Most of the oil catch cans take the hoses that go from the PVC valve and the drivers side valve cover to the intake and reroute them thru the catch can. The baffling holds back the liquid oil, the fumes still go in the intake. I chose to use a breather type, just as you showed, which does not reroute the hoses to the catch can and then intake, rather, just straight to the catch can and vented to atmoshpere. According to AAM, it is better to have the intake "pulling" the air out of the crankcase, therefore, they plug the vents on the ARC can and vent to the intake. I don't claim to be an expert, but the pressures in the crankcase seem to be enough to self evacuate, and by venting to atmosphere, NO oil will be entering your intake. I do not think any catch can can catch ALL the oil out of the vapors by baffling alone, esp. if you are using the intake pressure to "vaccum" the pressure out of the crankcase, IMO.