Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

DIY turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 10:15 PM
bacalhau16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew it was never gonna be easy from the start. I realized that it was gonna require a lot of work and that a lot of people would doubt that it could be done. I think that this is what is really pushing me to do it even more so!

As far as the STS kit goes, it may work for domestics, kinda, but its clearly not the best option here, so we may as well drop it and work on the progress we go going here!
Old 05-26-2006, 09:19 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ST seup that I am thinking of would more than likely have less piping than a twin turbo. That I am quite sure about. It is really hard to explain what I am thinking of. Maybe I will make it next year after I have more experience doing fab work (via school and work) and have gotten better at TIG welding. Would only cost me about $400 in materials over the cost of turbo components since I can CNC flanges for free!
Old 05-26-2006, 02:12 PM
Quamen

Oh, I did have a suggestion for you if you do have Megan make some headers. I would suggest that they have built in support brackets or if you do buy them you get some welded on since Megan is not exactly known for strong material usage. I would not be suprised if they were prone to cracking without some sort of support bracket especially since some of the better companies out there are still plagued by cracking.

But hey, any tubular turbo header is in comparison to a cast counterpart. Just make sure that they use at least 304 stainless steel since it is less prone to cracking. If I am not mistaken 321 is even better. I am not sure of the cost difference but I would talk to someone who is good with wall thicknesses and what not (prolly some on this forum that could be of help) and use them to cross reference what Megan plans on designing (if they do) in order to ensure that people are not plagued with the cracking issue that Megan is known for. If they can make a good set of manifolds that don't crack I'm sure that they could get a bunch of people to buy them. But people will more than likely be weiry at first since we are a picky bunch and Megan does not seem to hold much ground with our community.

Just food for thought!
Old 05-26-2006, 02:17 PM
Quamen

This winter I think that I am gonna rip my front end off again and make some custom parts such as the bracket which I am talking about that relocates the alternator and power steering to the driver side and elimnates the A/C just for fun. I will run it for fun on my NA setup more than likely and if all works out maybe I will sell it for those who are interested.

At that point maybe it could open the door for some turbo company to make a different ST. Who knows. I have a few other things that I am looking at doing though since this will be designed for a car with no A/C that will give a bit better response and will add some reliability along with reducing some weight. Hehe...
Old 05-26-2006, 06:08 PM
bacalhau16

Your ideas sound really good, and with good racing stragies and what not, but i think that most 350z/G owners would prefer to keep their A/C. I know I would like to keep the A/C and thats why I'm building one with it intact!
Old 05-26-2006, 10:30 PM
Quamen

I'm sure that most Z owners would. It is not something that I would really try to market. But I would make it avalible for those who are interested. Essentially I am looking at mounting them slightly further back so I can make a smaller crank pulley since the closest ring to the block is used for the A/C unfortunately and can not be machined off really. I want to try and incorporate it with a fuid dampner of some sort if possible.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:25 AM
Quamen

So I have both of my engines now and I was looking at everything and it will be quite easy to make the ST I am thinking of. I would have more than enough room to fit even a larger turbonetics T70 turbo if need be. I also measured and I could fit at least a 3.5" exhaust with the stock motor mounts and no modifications to anythings else. With the addition of some different mounts I could fit a 4" exhaust (more than likely just an open dump for the track only).
Old 07-05-2006, 09:31 AM
bacalhau16

Sounds kinda cool. If you could take pictures of this that would be helpful. I also thought you sold your setup. You thinking of doing another, like the setup that we discussed?

Im very apprehensive right now though, after reading about Alberto's car, I'm just confused as to what i want to do. I'd love to have a turbo Z, and have been saving enough to do so, but if my motor blows, I dont think its worth the money to build a motor, for me atleast. This leaves me confused about what to do, so perhaps a little bit less hp, would be alright, and thats why ive been thinking about a stillen s/c or vortec. Kinda sucks though, because i NEED a fast car.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:02 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I dont know why everyone thinks its so hard. HOw do you think the shops or companies that have turbo kits out now do it? Or the hundreds of other one off turbo systems.

Get some CNC flanges, tig welder, tubing, mandral bender and have at it.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:05 PM
bacalhau16

You cant be serious! If its so easy, then go build me one already. Why are you still wasting your time typing, get to welding already.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:46 PM
accordfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quamen
So I have both of my engines now and I was looking at everything and it will be quite easy to make the ST I am thinking of. I would have more than enough room to fit even a larger turbonetics T70 turbo if need be. I also measured and I could fit at least a 3.5" exhaust with the stock motor mounts and no modifications to anythings else. With the addition of some different mounts I could fit a 4" exhaust (more than likely just an open dump for the track only).

Where will the turbo be placed at? keeping a/c too?
Old 07-05-2006, 03:53 PM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

We can make some turbo headers like these

http://www.speedforceracing.com/imag...it/g35_1_7.jpg

for a reasonable cost.

Tim
Old 07-05-2006, 04:03 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bacalhau16
You cant be serious! If its so easy, then go build me one already. Why are you still wasting your time typing, get to welding already.
If I had a tig welder, mandrel bender, flanges, etc, I would do it, I would be learning how to weld in the process. You could do it with time and some figureing. But I dont and I dont work for you, so why dont you put a little effort into looking whats out in the world and not just on the forum.

Last edited by meatbag; 07-05-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:27 PM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Quamen
Oh, I did have a suggestion for you if you do have Megan make some headers. I would suggest that they have built in support brackets or if you do buy them you get some welded on since Megan is not exactly known for strong material usage. I would not be suprised if they were prone to cracking without some sort of support bracket especially since some of the better companies out there are still plagued by cracking.

But hey, any tubular turbo header is in comparison to a cast counterpart. Just make sure that they use at least 304 stainless steel since it is less prone to cracking. If I am not mistaken 321 is even better. I am not sure of the cost difference but I would talk to someone who is good with wall thicknesses and what not (prolly some on this forum that could be of help) and use them to cross reference what Megan plans on designing (if they do) in order to ensure that people are not plagued with the cracking issue that Megan is known for. If they can make a good set of manifolds that don't crack I'm sure that they could get a bunch of people to buy them. But people will more than likely be weiry at first since we are a picky bunch and Megan does not seem to hold much ground with our community.

Just food for thought!

We have made 304SS headers that have over 30K miles on them with no cracking and no supports. On my personal car I have just hit 15k miles on the 304SS headers with no cracking or problems.We actually made support brackets and got rid of them because it doesnt allow enough expansion for the headers.We make the headers in 321SS too but we only reccomend these for race applications.

Tim
Old 07-05-2006, 06:51 PM
Quamen

I will not be keeping the A/C on my car personally as I have already discarded it. I will actually be having the solid motor mounts and the new crank pulley made within the next few months and will be running everything switched to the driver side of the motor on a stock motor just to make sure that everything works as it should prior to making the turbo kit.

However, I will be having the hot pipes made as soon as I buy the turbo so I would expect it sometime during the middle of winter. As for the custom kit that I had, I did sell it for dirt cheap ($100 for the piping only).
Old 07-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Quamen

So it looks like I would be best off to go with 304SS since it is cheaper and 321 might be a bit of overkill. I will be making a turbo support bracket but otherwise the headers will be so short that there would really be no need for them to have a support bracket to begin with.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:14 PM
bacalhau16

Meatbag, your name fits you well. We are having a very good discussion about building your own turbo kit. We all understand that this is a difficult thing to do, and not something that you want to learn on how to weld. Are you serious? You want to LEARN how to weld, while making the manifolds on your car. You tell me to go out in the world and do it. Apparently you havent read the thread, and realized that i have already made a few turbo kits, and am able to admit, that this project is not as easy as my 98 240sx. So please, if you have nothing further positive to contribute to my thread, leave!

Turbo Tim, i would be interested in those if they were for a reasonable price. My reasonable may be different then yours though, so fill us in on what your asking for a set, or just pm me. Whatever works for you. I believe Miaplaya, sent me a link to those in this thread also.

Just out of curiosity, how much time would you say you have invested into fabricating those? They do look really well made, and very efficient.

Quamen, its very honarable that you had one kit fail, but arnt going to give up and do another. Good luck, i like where your going with your kit and hopefully everything works out.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:58 PM
G.Ride

Originally Posted by Metal Heart
You know ... I don't think anyone's ever tried that?
It could be done, probably wouldn't be the best flowing thing in the world, but I bet it'd work. If for nothing else than to make a design that works for mass production.

Sooner or later someone will come up with a design of this nature that drops the turbo(s) down by the oil pan.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:15 PM
bacalhau16

G. Ride, its called an APS single turbo kit. It is placed rather low on the chassis and is so low in regard to the oil pan, that it actually requires an additional pump to help oil flow.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:21 PM
G.Ride

Originally Posted by TurboTim
We can make some turbo headers like these

http://www.speedforceracing.com/imag...it/g35_1_7.jpg

for a reasonable cost.

Tim
These dont seem bad at all. I hope they worked on the flanges though

Quick Reply: DIY turbo kit