Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Getting close to getting a Vortech...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 02:14 PM
Alang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Getting close to getting a Vortech...

Just a few more things to resolve.

I have Nismo cams, but from my searches, I gather that that isn't a bad thing and should help. What I haven't been able to find is if they help in the entire range, or just in the top end. Anyone running Nismo cams with a Vortech care to comment on how the cars runs? Is it peaky?

I also have the Kinetix (plastic) plenum. Its the latest one, and its supposed to handle boost (to a point). Is anyone actually running this plenum with a Vortech?

I talked with a long time mechanic today that has lots of F/I and Nissan tuning experience. He said that a centrifigual SC is good, but that many of his customers are dissapointed by the lower boost levels at low RPMs. He was comparing to the Stillen which is of course a roots charger that gets to full boost at a much lower RPM. Is there really be a big laggy feeling to the Vortech? The Dynos I see show lots and lots of torque starting as low as 2500, so I'm a bit confused.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:22 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nismo cams help over the entire range

i think you can run the kinetix plenum with stock (low) boost levels, but if you increase the boost, you're going to want to change it. Personally, I wouldn't risk it anyway.

the stock vortech at stock boost levels will not improve the low end much at all and really won't do a LOT until you reach 5000 rpms. If you switch to the 3.12 pulley, it'll help the low end a little and really kick in at around 4500. The 2.87 helps the low rpms even more and kicks in hard at 4000 rpms.

When I say kicks in hard, I mean hard enough to really feel something. A turbo will always kick in harder and faster than a centrifugal SC

The stillen of course will give you a lot more low end and mid power than the stock vortech. But if you upgrade the vortech setup a lot, you'll pretty much leave the stillen in the dust from 3000 rpms and onward. Even more so if you build the engine and upgrade to a T-trim blower
Old 06-16-2006, 02:52 PM
G352NV

Do some research first. Read up on the Vortech cog pulley noise.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:16 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im running the Nismo cams and you can really feel them kick in at 3000 rpms . They arent designed for FI but they do help some in the full rpm range . If I could have afforded it , I would have changed them out with my motor being out right now
Old 06-16-2006, 03:21 PM
chuckie311

the kinetix plenum is good to up to 15psi
Old 06-16-2006, 04:28 PM
sentry65
the burninator

good thing cause their old ones couldn't even handle 0 psi on some cars

I have the JWT cams and I'm not sure I can really feel a huge jerk where power suddenly kicks in, but I'd say it comes on more like 4000 rpms - it isn't something super noticable. I've never driven a Z with nismo cams to compare though

and every FI kit has it's set of issues - vortech's issue for some people has been some bad noises. Most people I don't think have so many issues. Like anything, we hear the most from the few people who do have something to complaints. Everyone else who is happy with their kit doesn't complain

Last edited by sentry65; 06-16-2006 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Alang

Originally Posted by sentry65
nismo cams help over the entire range

When I say kicks in hard, I mean hard enough to really feel something.
So are you saying that you won't really feel the HP gains until you go with the 2.87? That doesn't sound right.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:23 PM
sentry65
the burninator

i was talking about the cams and meant as you floor it thru the rpm range you don't suddenly feel a sudden burst of power because of the cams. It's more of a smooth overall increase in power - i wasn't talking about the supercharger at all
Old 06-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Alang

i was talking about the cams and meant as you floor it thru the rpm range you don't suddenly feel a sudden burst of power because of the cams. It's more of a smooth overall increase in power - i wasn't talking about the supercharger at all
Gotcha! Thanks
Old 06-16-2006, 08:23 PM
sentry65
the burninator

as far as power coming on with the vortech, it doesn't feel like a turbo car - obviously

it's more like V8 with really aggressive cams or a ferrari F430 or 360 or something like that. You feel the power glide on nice and strong. If you launch from a standstill, 1st gear goes by so fast anyway that it's almost hard to care if it's a turbo or not cause by the time you've shifted into 2nd gear, you're already well into the high boost again
Old 07-22-2006, 07:36 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as far as power coming on with the vortech, it doesn't feel like a turbo car - obviously

it's more like V8 with really aggressive cams or a ferrari F430 or 360 or something like that. You feel the power glide on nice and strong. If you launch from a standstill, 1st gear goes by so fast anyway that it's almost hard to care if it's a turbo or not cause by the time you've shifted into 2nd gear, you're already well into the high boost again
isn't that the truth. people make such a big deal about the midrange torque of a turbo setup, but when you are Ballzout, you aren't spending any time in the midrange. And the vortech has an awesome top end kick!!! I am only expressing my experiences from running Vortech blowers on V8s, though.
Soon, I'll have a vortech for my G.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:02 AM
FrickU

It all depends what you want, Stillen has great response and the power is right there all the time, but then you are running into a belt issue at high speeds, and the vortech is awesome for freeways. After driving with Wa2good yesterday at Cal Speedway in his stillen G. It was amazing how the power response is just there. And by the way he is a GREAT driver...But this SC deal is all about personal preference. Good luck with your decision
Old 07-22-2006, 09:23 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very true frick!

everyone has their needs and preferences.

lots of people make a big deal about lots of torque. IMO, it is not like the VQ is a wimp in the torque depot. It is certainly not a TyPe R honda engine.

too much midrange torque and you are roasting tires.

for example, I had a vortech supercharged 96 cobra back in the late 90s. It had a fully built motor, cams, long tubes, etc. At the time, it was very trick and most of the parts were custom. It dynoed at 536 rwhp / 460 rwtq. I also had 4.10:1 gears in the rear. RPM wise, it was very similar to the VQ, peaking out at about 6400 rpm. The torque peak was in the upper 4000s.

This car was a beast to use on a daily basis. The tires could be spun at will, even rolling into the throttle at 80mph in 3rd gear (like 4th gear on a Z.)

On street BFGs, (315s), I couldn't get traction. Going to the strip was an excersize in futility. The best I ever managed was 12.20 but almost 130 Basically, you had to pedal it all the way down the track, until you hit 4th gear.

What I am trying to say is that people make too much about the torque. If you have too much, it is actually not as much to drive.