Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

**I'm BACK** With a Forged Build, Twins, DD vs DJ comparison and more**

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 06:45 PM
BobbyRitz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ace-

It's my understanding that the Level 5's are stock inside the CV boots. Brent (BamBam) busted his DSS level 5's on drag radials when we rented MIR out.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:00 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by aceman
I found the pic

They do look stronger, Get a set of them Alberto You should be good to go then.

Later
Aceman
Looks a lot like an 03-04 cobra axle.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:09 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyRitz
Hey...we all have our talents, no? After all, you drive a snake. The question is...do you have one?

LOL...thanks, though. It turns out that the original mid pipe that I received from "shop not named here" was a y-pipe from a G35. I worked with R Stempler Nissan near me to work out my issues.

Bigbri-

I respect everything you've done on this site. My money is on Alberto, bro.
Rob-you know I love you man, but that sounded really gay
Old 10-19-2006, 06:58 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

I have no money to bet!

I am going to have to go with peak power though over quicker spool!

And you guys wonder why supras win all the damn time... Cause thats all they need! Is time to spool the friggin huge turbo!
Old 10-19-2006, 07:00 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Peak power over area under the curvve = you lose down the 1/4-its different on the highway on runs to 180mph....MI35th FTL!
Old 10-19-2006, 07:12 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbri
I'll race all of you and give you a 2 car start... Did I mention my car is boosting 23lbs again???
i will race you and give you a 4 car head start to 190
Old 10-19-2006, 07:55 AM
BobbyRitz

Originally Posted by Alberto
Rob-you know I love you man, but that sounded really gay
That's aiight...
Old 10-19-2006, 07:20 PM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hehehe, Im not sweating it. You need to give him another 150whp over me to keep the same power/weight-remeber his car is heavy Even then, traction will be bad for him as he cant fit slicks over those huge rear brakes....we'll set it up when he gets back from Japan.
LOL... well I would not run anything but DR's because I want a little bit of control at those speeds... We know I can fit 18x305s easily, I can probably move up to 315's if I pull the fenders a bit more. As for power... lets see what Sharif comes up with... but I figure we can hit 150+....

As for the axels, I would definitely wait for the DSS Level 5's and if you are serious about everything, the suggestion by Vinny Ten is to weld the inner CV joint to prevent that type of failure I had last time at the track...

I don't seriously expect to beat you Bert.. you drive your car WAY too hard for me, and have a lot more expereince then I do. But it would be fun to see a couple of 10 sec runs...
--B
Old 10-19-2006, 08:12 PM
BamBam

Originally Posted by bigbri
I'll race all of you and give you a 2 car start... Did I mention my car is boosting 23lbs again???
LOL... I am thinking I can match you here shortly... what have you done to prevent the all so familar busted axle or tranny?
Old 10-19-2006, 08:27 PM
BamBam

LOL^^

Todd, I have never seen a side by side pic. The axle stubs are much thicker, beefier units. Same on Level 2 as on level 5. Stock inner and outter joints on Level 2though, and stock inners on Level 5's with better outter cv joints. You'd think for the $$$ the Level 5's would be all beefed up...I saw somebody break Dss 5's@ MIR, but I think it was driver error than anything else.
Driver error... come on man... I might not really know what I am doing, but at least 2 of us busted axles that day on that one track. True I was trying something new with the DR's (at your suggestion I might add.. LOL )

I have spoken to DSS and they swear they have never seen a busted inner CV joint, therefore they did not see a need to beef it up. After talks with Vinny, it appears he uses them all the time, BUT he modifies them to take the additional stress AND his race cars are about 1000 lbs lighter so less strain on launching. Anyway, after looking at the exploded inner CV, it was deciced the joint was probaly already damaged from my earlier days at the track on the stock axles. So it was already weak and the added stress of launching on DR's, + a harder launch from about 5K took the weakest point and busted it.

Everyone needs to keep in mind, that if you beef up the axles, then the next weakest point will fail given enough stress (Tranny...?). Our cars are not designed to push that much weight, that fast down the 1/4. Do it often enough and something will definitely break. That is a given.
We all know the saying, pay to play...

Bert, it sounds like you are making the right decision to wait until you get the level 5's (have them check the inner CV joints you already have or buy new ones while doing the swap).

I think we will have to set up another MIR day early next year for som
--B
Old 10-19-2006, 09:01 PM
bigbri

Originally Posted by BamBam
LOL... I am thinking I can match you here shortly... what have you done to prevent the all so familar busted axle or tranny?
I don't drag my car on slicks heat up the tires and run a 1.5-1.8 60' I don't care about what kind of axles you guys get..Good luck with that tranny holding up after a couple of hard launchs... Glad you getting you car fixed by Sharif he knows his **** and you'll have my power lever if not more..
Old 10-19-2006, 09:20 PM
BamBam

Yea, that is what I figured. I won't use slicks either. Looking at that line lock kit to help me heat up the tires and go with a slightly softer launch.
If I run more then a couple of runs, I figure I will need to look into welding the inner CV's and I already have my eye on a new tranny... That Dogtooth looks like it could be a lot of fun..

Working on a higher tune next week I beleive, but so far things are just a little odd with the engine. Nothing outright, but just not developing the power we expected at set boost levels. I leave it in Sharif's hands to get it worked out the best it can safely be done.
--B
Old 10-19-2006, 09:28 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by aceman
I found the pic

They do look stronger, Get a set of them Alberto You should be good to go then.

Later
Aceman
Hey those are my axles.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:30 PM
Acree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by meatbag
Hey those are my axles.
I love how there's a wine rack next to it. Shows just what kind of people we have on the boards.

[bad english accent]
"More wine Henry?!"
-"Well by George, if I do say so myself, I'll have anotha!"
[/bad english accent]

-Acree
Old 10-20-2006, 07:49 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by BamBam
Driver error... come on man... I might not really know what I am doing, but at least 2 of us busted axles that day on that one track. True I was trying something new with the DR's (at your suggestion I might add.. LOL )

I have spoken to DSS and they swear they have never seen a busted inner CV joint, therefore they did not see a need to beef it up. After talks with Vinny, it appears he uses them all the time, BUT he modifies them to take the additional stress AND his race cars are about 1000 lbs lighter so less strain on launching. Anyway, after looking at the exploded inner CV, it was deciced the joint was probaly already damaged from my earlier days at the track on the stock axles. So it was already weak and the added stress of launching on DR's, + a harder launch from about 5K took the weakest point and busted it.

Everyone needs to keep in mind, that if you beef up the axles, then the next weakest point will fail given enough stress (Tranny...?). Our cars are not designed to push that much weight, that fast down the 1/4. Do it often enough and something will definitely break. That is a given.
We all know the saying, pay to play...

Bert, it sounds like you are making the right decision to wait until you get the level 5's (have them check the inner CV joints you already have or buy new ones while doing the swap).

I think we will have to set up another MIR day early next year for som
--B
Brent I didnt mean any offense by that statement. I have watched your video over and over, as well as being right behind you when it happened, I think you let your clutch out a fraction of a second before you got on the gas, essentially shocking the drivetrain. Doesnt really matter, stuff breaks when you race. One thing is for sure!-->MIR prep'd that track too much, it was way sticky for the cars/power levels/experience that day, Im honestly surprised more people didnt snap axles. What you bring up in regards to welding the inner CV joint is interesting. Id love to set-up another track day without a doubt though Brent, we can put some nice #'s up for MD Z's to compete with these loud mouth FL guys ie. Jeremy

edit-fwiw slicks are easier on your drivetrain than DR's...

Last edited by Alberto; 10-20-2006 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:13 AM
doug

we can put some nice #'s up for MD Z's to compete with these loud mouth FL guys ie. Jeremy
its one thing to talk about it... ok i get excited... its another thing to show me pictures... ok i get excited again..

but all my excitement for jeremy's car ran out 2 months ago.. until i see that thing come out with a dyno sheet or make a run down the 1/4 mile.. its all hype for now..

yes i am blunt.. but i can only dream for so fcking long

somebody wake me up when either or happens.. because right now its as much hype as a stock Z... ow wait.. a stock Z runs
Old 10-20-2006, 08:46 AM
kalima275Z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Em r fightin' werdz!

Old 10-20-2006, 08:54 AM
doug

Old 10-20-2006, 08:58 AM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doug

but all my excitement for jeremy's car ran out 2 months ago.. until i see that thing come out with a dyno sheet or make a run down the 1/4 mile.. its all hype for now..
wait no longer, he's going tonight. No TH400 though
Old 10-20-2006, 09:00 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

My thread is officially homo status, thanks you d!cks....j/k

Quick Reply: **I'm BACK** With a Forged Build, Twins, DD vs DJ comparison and more**