Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

TT vs Stillen SC; upkeep, headaches, maintenance...worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006 | 04:27 PM
doug

Originally Posted by Alberto
It doesnt matter if I had ST or TT, my opinions havent changed regarding my views in this thread...
not talking your opinions.... i am talking about when you say my setup.. or my boost this.. i am not exactly sure which setup you were talking about when you read an old thread...

because the first thing comes to mind when i saw this thread date was.. what setup was he running? i forgot
Old 12-03-2006 | 04:36 PM
RBlover69

in the these days of age , why even go stillen. U would have a better expirence going nitrous then stillen with a fully bolt on Z and G. I actually think u can probably whipe the floor on a stillen stage 4 with a fully bolt on Z with a 125 shot and Drs. lol Zs will always be complete with TTs. Even st's and SCs just arnt worth the $ amount .Again u looking for a spirited ride with ur g get a 125 wet shot with bold ons and some tires. That shld hold u over stillen. Stillen wouldve been nice but the blower looks like it was made for a 2.7 ltr none the less a 3.5 . IF they increased the roots size then yea ...or if whipple ever came out with a solution or ...from what i hear twin screws are in the works. Then yea but , with stillen, u just aint hittin man. lol
Old 12-03-2006 | 08:47 PM
TTRANK

Originally Posted by RBlover69
in the these days of age , why even go stillen. U would have a better expirence going nitrous then stillen with a fully bolt on Z and G. I actually think u can probably whipe the floor on a stillen stage 4 with a fully bolt on Z with a 125 shot and Drs. lol Zs will always be complete with TTs. Even st's and SCs just arnt worth the $ amount .Again u looking for a spirited ride with ur g get a 125 wet shot with bold ons and some tires. That shld hold u over stillen. Stillen wouldve been nice but the blower looks like it was made for a 2.7 ltr none the less a 3.5 . IF they increased the roots size then yea ...or if whipple ever came out with a solution or ...from what i hear twin screws are in the works. Then yea but , with stillen, u just aint hittin man. lol

I thought about it before I got mine but I have had nos in the past and I will never go back. I like having the power when I want it and not feeling like I need to save the gas for another day. When I added it up my last nos kit on my Accord started out @$600 and ended up costing me well over $3k when I was done after buying all that gas over the years.

If you are talking bang for the buck nos will always win but I don't drag race. I want a car that's fun every day.
Old 12-04-2006 | 05:05 AM
RBlover69

i hear ya man, ...much props brotha. Eh u car would probably be great around a road course with a lot of turns and inclines.
Old 12-04-2006 | 05:28 AM
4SHIZZIL

plus 2....Most G35 owners that bought their cars new or fairly new at over 30K what quality, spirited driving... everyday not on the fly. The 350Z guys are the raw HP addicts.

My 2001 mustang had about 355RWHP yet my G35 feels so much smoother, and faster top end at 278WHP...I just need a little more. If I want raw power I will drop 2500 on an old 5.0 and through a roots on that biatch! Plust I have a CJ5 with a 350 bored .40 over that weighs like 1900 lbs! LOL its all aluminum and fiberglass..not a dragster, but the raw torque will be sick once its all put back together.
Old 12-04-2006 | 05:57 AM
reptile718

My Z is my daily driver too. I have been running the Stillen kit for about 10k now and love it. Just recently I had to re tighten the belts which took me about 10min for all three. Not a bad price to pay for all the TQ I gain over stock. I enjoy the feeling of being thrown back into my seat and hearing that blower scream. I am pushing 70k on my car and it is running better then ever. If you want something fun and reliable I highly recommend this kit. I plan to track my Z in the near future so this was another reason I choose this kit. I do agree about the hood, it is not the best looking out there but it grew on me after a while and I like it now. Take a look (ignore the date my buddies camera was way off)

Old 01-06-2007 | 10:27 AM
Cali350z2007

Default nice ride

Old 01-06-2007 | 10:40 AM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

Originally Posted by reptile718
My Z is my daily driver too. I have been running the Stillen kit for about 10k now and love it. Just recently I had to re tighten the belts which took me about 10min for all three. Not a bad price to pay for all the TQ I gain over stock. I enjoy the feeling of being thrown back into my seat and hearing that blower scream. I am pushing 70k on my car and it is running better then ever. If you want something fun and reliable I highly recommend this kit. I plan to track my Z in the near future so this was another reason I choose this kit. I do agree about the hood, it is not the best looking out there but it grew on me after a while and I like it now. Take a look (ignore the date my buddies camera was way off)

I kinda like the middle section not painted, somehow the buldge and everything look less out of place since the color differnce is what primarily draws your eye - and that makes it look aggressive

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL G-SPOT
plus 2....Most G35 owners that bought their cars new or fairly new at over 30K what quality, spirited driving... everyday not on the fly. The 350Z guys are the raw HP addicts.
yeah I agree
G35's have all that luxury stuff and the drivers tend to want to drive around with that stuff.
350Z owners are more likely to turn their car into a weekend toy with lots of un-daily driver friendly race parts, race gas etc

Last edited by sentry65; 01-06-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-06-2007 | 08:38 PM
ANXIOUZ

reptile - You're car looks great.
Old 01-07-2007 | 05:20 PM
JMS71585

Reptile - did you cut the middle section of your stock hood, and add the stillen middle piece? The carbon fiber air duct and the painted middle section of your front lip with your stillen middle piece looks nice. It all flows nice together.
Old 01-07-2007 | 06:34 PM
reptile718

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. Yes I modified my stock hood and added the CF cowl, there are two things that I am having trouble with. 1 - It is not functional, I plan to cut two rectangular sections in the back of the cowl and add a black mesh behind it, I hope this will draw out a lot of the heat made by the S/C. 2 - It attaches on the factory hood by using double sided 3M tape, with the heat generated by the car, water, etc. it is staring to come loose in the rear, I plan to remove it, re-tape and bolt it down so it does not come loose again. As far as future mods, I am debating on painting the roof black and adding a Stillen upper spoiler also painted black. I have seen this combo before on the SERVAS Redline and it looked awesome. I have since also added a pair of CF Varis Pillar covers. I want to have an even share of black & CF throughout the car so everything looks balanced but not overdone.

Last edited by reptile718; 01-07-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-08-2007 | 04:59 AM
4SHIZZIL

Default Hood

Originally Posted by sentry65
I kinda like the middle section not painted, somehow the buldge and everything look less out of place since the color differnce is what primarily draws your eye - and that makes it look aggressive

yeah I agree
G35's have all that luxury stuff and the drivers tend to want to drive around with that stuff.
350Z owners are more likely to turn their car into a weekend toy with lots of un-daily driver friendly race parts, race gas etc

Thats the best looking hood I have seen on a Z. Is it the G cowl, then got customed work? I like that full length runner look.
Old 01-08-2007 | 05:07 AM
4SHIZZIL

Default 400 for bore and assembly

Originally Posted by dutchboy
I think that $3.5 - 4K is on the low side for a basic build, not including labor to remove and re-install the motor. I know that some go for $10k plus, but I don't know if that cost includes a replacement block or not.
SIAMESE found a shop in VA that will bore and install the bottem end for around 400 bucks. You have to supply the parts 1500 or so for pistons and rods, then about 8hrs labor to install the motor. Thats well under 5K. Now adding the SC or Turbo, would cost another grand or so, but I am still well within my original post price.

I think I am going to build a block with close to stock compresion (little lower), use my rev-up heads, then drop the stillen Stage 3. That should hold through any abuse I throw at it, remain in a decent gas mileage range, wont require 15K in supporting mods, and is daily driveable.
Old 01-08-2007 | 05:08 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Thats the nicest Stillen hood/set-up Ive seen, nice job...
Old 01-08-2007 | 06:05 AM
reptile718

Thats the best looking hood I have seen on a Z. Is it the G cowl, then got customed work? I like that full length runner look.
Its not a G hood. Stillen sells just the cowl on their site in either CF or FG. The stock hood did need to be cut and modified to make it fit but templates where included with the kit. I wanted to do something a little different with my Z and I am very happy with the results.

Alberto - TY
Old 01-08-2007 | 06:19 AM
4SHIZZIL

Default MY two cents

Its not a G hood. Stillen sells just the cowl on their site in either CF or FG. The stock hood did need to be cut and modified to make it fit but templates where included with the kit. I wanted to do something a little different with my Z and I am very happy with the results.

Alberto - TY

Paint the roof with the same width stripe in black, take it to the trunk lid, but not the rear bumber! Nice ride bro.
Old 01-08-2007 | 06:53 AM
reptile718

Paint the roof with the same width stripe in black, take it to the trunk lid, but not the rear bumber! Nice ride bro.
Thanks for the suggestion. As a matter of fact I already have a section of the back painted in black. I have a us nismo wing with the center section painted black. I will play around with the idea a little bit, I def. like the whole roof in black though especially with the upper stillen spoiler in black as well. Here is a pic of the rear section from a Charlotte meet held this past sat. enjoy!

Old 01-08-2007 | 03:17 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

the z looks good bud.
Old 02-07-2007 | 04:38 AM
DanielW
Banned

louis you have to let me ride in your car man. I'm about to do an S/C and I don't know whether to do a vortech or a stillen.
Old 02-07-2007 | 05:09 AM
reptile718

Originally Posted by danielwebb
louis you have to let me ride in your car man. I'm about to do an S/C and I don't know whether to do a vortech or a stillen.
Sure man no problem. I have another friend with a Vortech if you want him to take you out for a spin too that way you can compare. His car is currently in the shop getting a new TB and some body work but should be ready within the next couple of weeks. He rode in mine and said overall it felt smother and quiet, as far as performance I had more TQ down low which made it feel faster but he has greater top end in the higher RPM range. Are you going to be at the meet on the 10th? We can do it then. Oh and BTW why did you miss out on the drift meet I thought you where coming? It was fun but really really cold so we all left kinda early.

Quick Reply: TT vs Stillen SC; upkeep, headaches, maintenance...worth it?