Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

TT vs Stillen SC; upkeep, headaches, maintenance...worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007 | 03:46 PM
4SHIZZIL

Default Agreed

Originally Posted by TIMMAHH
The stillen does have top end power over but it is very linear like an N/A car. The other SC/TT/ST kits have more punch up high.

Headers will not help it, you will loose power. I lost a few hp with hf cats and headers are worse. The only way to make more power with headers/cats is to get a smaller higher boost pulley and a re-tune with a new EM.
Its not so much as Stillen lacks top end power, its more that the TT and ST provide more power. A Stillen top end will still pull HARD on N/A G's and Z's. The TT and ST, might be behind at the point, and I infasize might, but then the TT and ST (or centrifugal SC) would pull due to great top end power. I guess I am getting old or cheap, but I just dont want to change every single thing on my car just to go fast. Hell I can buy a Ninja 900R for less than a good TT setup. I need (would like) 350-400 wheel on a built engine STILLEN SC, maybe slap NOS for conversation sake....but everyday driver of 350-400 is C6 vette range, which is respectable for having a back seat and trunk, for under 10K. (hit the button and your pulling on C6's into the Z06 range). Cost of ownership, usage, and reliability is met I think.

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 03-21-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-17-2007 | 05:38 AM
zprincess

I don't understand why so many peeps knock stillen. There are many kits on the market all designed for different uses. Different strokes for different folks.

Even N/A cars blow motors. I love the stillen hoods especially type 1. I like low end power and torque and cannot envision going 160 mph in my z with a twin turbo setup. LMAO. Where can you do that outside of the track?

I read a new post, at least once a month, by someone who has just smashed up their z. These individuals are normally boosted with turbos and lose control in the rain and smash the cars. I assume the car goes into boost when they step on it and then the back end starts trying to catch the front end and then crash.

I wonder why all you guys need so much whp? It appears to me that many of you cannot control it. So what's the point? Is it a I am tougher than you are issue?
Old 06-17-2007 | 06:50 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Hey i still love the stillen stage 4 i got but now it,s time for something different.More power with a different feel is what im going for and the greddy twins are probably what im gonna doo.
Btw my stillen is for sale.
Old 06-17-2007 | 04:29 PM
4SHIZZIL

SuperG I love that Stillen man...refinancing the house...2 yr ARM...so hopefully there is some SUPAG funds left over....lol. I would need to get an EMANAGE because I have the rev-up 6sp
Old 06-17-2007 | 04:34 PM
4SHIZZIL

Default Roots All The Way

Originally Posted by zprincess
I don't understand why so many peeps knock stillen. There are many kits on the market all designed for different uses. Different strokes for different folks.

Even N/A cars blow motors. I love the stillen hoods especially type 1. I like low end power and torque and cannot envision going 160 mph in my z with a twin turbo setup. LMAO. Where can you do that outside of the track?

I read a new post, at least once a month, by someone who has just smashed up their z. These individuals are normally boosted with turbos and lose control in the rain and smash the cars. I assume the car goes into boost when they step on it and then the back end starts trying to catch the front end and then crash.

I wonder why all you guys need so much whp? It appears to me that many of you cannot control it. So what's the point? Is it a I am tougher than you are issue?
It is sad and funny that people can afford to kill themselves like they do. I had a NINJA 600 back in the day and man on man...Thank God someone wanted it more than I and stole that dang thing. I had an 2001 mustang with about 320 to the wheels and it was a blast. I never hit over 110-120...why.... I love light to light torq and acceleration....after I get to about 80 im laughing enough to stop while remaining out of jail and trouble.

You hit the nail on the head...diff strokes for diff folks....I guess the county boy from IL is still in my somewhere..there is nothing like the sound of a roots SuperCharged car!
Old 06-18-2007 | 08:45 AM
ANXIOUZ

Generally speaking people here bash the Stillen not for it's results, but rather for it's high cost compared to other FI options. Face it, a Stage 2 is like $5800, plus you need a hood ($700) and stabilyzer bar ($200). So it's amost $7k for roughly 60whp (on a non rev-up). Not including installation if you're not doing it yourself.

Is it fun and the most usuable option? Absolutely. But $7k....crimeny that's a lot. Knock it down to $4k and I'd give it a serious look though. I love the actual product.
Old 06-18-2007 | 08:51 AM
bbs350z

wait, your car sees 6500rpm on a daily basis? so it sounds like you drive stupid. and you want to make it faster? so you can drive stupider, faster. great. i cant wait to see your totalled thread in a month.
Old 06-18-2007 | 05:28 PM
4SHIZZIL

Originally Posted by drift_projekt_Z
wait, your car sees 6500rpm on a daily basis? so it sounds like you drive stupid. and you want to make it faster? so you can drive stupider, faster. great. i cant wait to see your totalled thread in a month.
Dude who you drifting at...? I dont see anywhere anyone said anything about 6500rpm on a daily basis, however when merging into 80mph traffic in DC, I hit 6500 alot in 2nd gear...almost daily. So I guess I am stupid too? I am from the midwest man, however the east coast dont play as nice. No need to talk trash on people you dont know.
Old 06-18-2007 | 07:10 PM
wtf no turbo

Even so wtf is wrong with hitting 6500rpms? Did I miss something?
Old 06-18-2007 | 10:43 PM
eltness350
The Untouchable
Premier Member

+1
Old 06-19-2007 | 12:12 AM
XBS
Veteran
Premier Member

Greddy Twin Turbo Kit
UTEC EMS or BETTER (VPro, AEM) The key to reliablity is in the tune and EMS
Fuel Return System (or atleast a fuel press. regulator like the APS kit
Tuned conservativley for 380RWHP or less.

Very reliable setup, cost effective, and you will be happy with the power
Old 06-19-2007 | 05:31 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Originally Posted by drift_projekt_Z
You should be driving a Geo Metro
Old 06-19-2007 | 02:09 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Originally Posted by Alberto
You should be driving a Geo Metro
Old 06-25-2007 | 12:23 PM
4SHIZZIL

Originally Posted by superchargedg
Old 06-26-2007 | 10:03 PM
TTRANK

OK guys, I don't post on here much these days because I am always on G35driver.

I got rid of my stage 4 back in December for a Greddy TT with UTEC and have never looked back.

The Greddy is a whole different world. I drive my car every day and the improvements are huge. Just the massive torque feel of the turbos and immediate boost is worth the extra money. With any SC you have "XX" boost at "X,XXX" rpm regardless of what gear you are in. With a turbo I can have all the boost I want almost anywhere. I can be in 6th at 2,200rpm with no boost and go to 8psi in no time just by pushing on the gas.

My car is running better in the Phoenix summer heat now than before with the blower. It's all about the tune. If you are safe and take a little timing out for the summer months you can have more fun and be extra safe.

The Stillen is a lot of fun and can be installed in your garage for ~$6k new (with hood) as where a TT kit will take a few $k more but it’s worth it…
Old 06-27-2007 | 02:26 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Originally Posted by TIMMAHH
OK guys, I don't post on here much these days because I am always on G35driver.

I got rid of my stage 4 back in December for a Greddy TT with UTEC and have never looked back.

The Greddy is a whole different world. I drive my car every day and the improvements are huge. Just the massive torque feel of the turbos and immediate boost is worth the extra money. With any SC you have "XX" boost at "X,XXX" rpm regardless of what gear you are in. With a turbo I can have all the boost I want almost anywhere. I can be in 6th at 2,200rpm with no boost and go to 8psi in no time just by pushing on the gas.

My car is running better in the Phoenix summer heat now than before with the blower. It's all about the tune. If you are safe and take a little timing out for the summer months you can have more fun and be extra safe.

The Stillen is a lot of fun and can be installed in your garage for ~$6k new (with hood) as where a TT kit will take a few $k more but it’s worth it…
Hey tim that,s why i am now going to the dark side.I enjoyed the hell out of the stillen but now it,s time for a change.I still think if you like running from stop light to stop light(about a 1/8th mile strip it cant be beat)it is sweet as hell when that loud *** whine hits and you feel all that torque down low and you just scoot.
Old 06-27-2007 | 02:57 PM
rlwjr1

Maybe I missed it in a previous post but I have a question about F.I. and oil leaks. Specifically what do you all do to prevent them after going F.I? This applies to Stillen, centrifugal, and Turbo.
Old 06-28-2007 | 04:47 AM
4SHIZZIL

Default That will take much reading to answer that!!! LOL

Originally Posted by rlwjr1
Maybe I missed it in a previous post but I have a question about F.I. and oil leaks. Specifically what do you all do to prevent them after going F.I? This applies to Stillen, centrifugal, and Turbo.
Just go to the FI section and do a search....too much to list. You should spend a few days (maybe a week) in the FI section to satisfy your question completely. Hope that helps.

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 06-28-2007 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Wording/Spelling/Meaning