Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics Turbo Seal Leaking AGAIN !!!! (3rd Turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 01:03 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Juztin
do you have a catch can? My Z was smoking after a WOT run, we narrowed it down to the catch can hosing and figured they were collapsing under the vacuum when letting the engine slow the car down after a WOT run. We switched to racing hosing and problem solved. Just figure'd I'd mention incase you do have a catch can with shady hosing.
+1 My car was smoking after WOT driving like a ****, checked and the hose coming off of the drivers side valve cover was collapsed, I pulled the hose off and problem gone. Amazing what a problem in your PCV system can do....
Old 10-29-2006, 01:25 PM
chimmike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll occasionally get a small puff after a 4th gear pull, but nothing major.

What oil do you run, and what filter? also do you have a restrictor on the oil feed line? is it the original TN oil line setup? Oil return line, does it go straight down? any kinks, lower than drain level spots?
Old 10-29-2006, 02:15 PM
taurran

Interesting and kind of hard to believe. Like getting struck by lightning multiple times.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Larry....can't you get a break! I am sure TN will get it squared away.

BTW, how much smoke are we talking about on decel? What about at idle?

With Qaud's car, I let it idle for 15 mins in the morning, and it suddenly started smoking, and we saw some smoke coming for the turbo exhaust housing area. It eventually went away, and hasnt come back, IIRC.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:21 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it hasn't come back like it happened at your shop, but I still smell oil burning from time to time. My son (7) even asked "what's that smell" the other day while we were sitting at a light.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:02 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Larry....can't you get a break! I am sure TN will get it squared away.

BTW, how much smoke are we talking about on decel? What about at idle?

With Qaud's car, I let it idle for 15 mins in the morning, and it suddenly started smoking, and we saw some smoke coming for the turbo exhaust housing area. It eventually went away, and hasnt come back, IIRC.
Idle is no visible smoke or smell. Decel is no visible smoke or smell comming off less than WOT. Decel comming off of WOT @ higher RPM's there is a lot of smoke. I mean a lot, but not every time. Only some times. about 70% of the time. There is enough smoke for people to ask me.... did you blow your motor?

JET
Old 10-29-2006, 05:42 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Idle is no visible smoke or smell. Decel is no visible smoke or smell comming off less than WOT. Decel comming off of WOT @ higher RPM's there is a lot of smoke. I mean a lot, but not every time. Only some times. about 70% of the time. There is enough smoke for people to ask me.... did you blow your motor?

JET
After a WOT pass, are you putting the clutch and upshifting to a higher gear? Or are you going WOT, and then letting off the throttle without engaging the clutch or upshifting?

I very high RPM decel while in gear isnt the greatest thing to do to an engine, so I am just trying to understand exactly what situation the smoke is occuring.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:35 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Larry and Andrew if you guys call Ed tomorrow morning he should be to get this taken care of you. Andrew you have PM too.
You can call either me or Steve and we will try to solve your issue. The few things Chimmike pointed out are also good things to check for. I hope we can help you Jet and I also sent you a PM a while back so did you get it?
Old 10-29-2006, 07:00 PM
JETPILOT

Hi Ed,

No sorry I didn't get the PM. Yeah I will call you tomorrow. This just has me puzzled.

Sharif.... honestly I don't remember. Next time I go for a drive I will be more aware of the exact conditions.

Enjoy SEMA

JET
Old 10-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Ed,

No sorry I didn't get the PM. Yeah I will call you tomorrow. This just has me puzzled.

Sharif.... honestly I don't remember. Next time I go for a drive I will be more aware of the exact conditions.

Enjoy SEMA

JET
If I am not available contact Steve also
Old 10-30-2006, 04:18 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe these California Turbos don't like being in Florida? I'd think they enjoy living in a Hurricane Zone!!!
Old 10-30-2006, 05:38 AM
chimmike

I know if I do a hard pull to the top of a gear and just let off, maybe upshift to 6th or just coast, once in a while there'll be a very small puff.

Lately I've had a slight oil burning smell after hard acceleration but no visible smoke. Tis kinda weird.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:56 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

ahhh...the headaches of turbos...something I don't miss. Sorry to hear about it. Hope you get it figured out.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:39 AM
rocks

Try a restrictor in the feed line, you could have to much oil going to the turbo. When oil comes out of the feed line it shouldnt come out like spraying out. It should just run out. To much pressure will ruin the seals.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:41 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by rocks
Try a restrictor in the feed line, you could have to much oil going to the turbo. When oil comes out of the feed line it shouldnt come out like spraying out. It should just run out. To much pressure will ruin the seals.
Turbonetics uses a filter/restrictor on the inlet oil fitting of every turbo they make. Oil Pressure is not likely the cause.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:46 AM
JETPILOT

Update....

I was driving my car last night and their is so much oil comming out of the compressor side of the turbo ( I guess it's leaking into the turbine side also) that the silicone pipe coupler attatching the compressor to the piping won't hold anymore since it's covered in oil. It slipped off the lower pipe going to the intercooler pipe and no more boost. I don't know how i wil get to this coupler. It's in a very difficult area to get to. I might have to remove the turbo to get to it.

I called Ed and it seems the warranty for a rebuilt turbo is 90 days even though the kit is less than 1 year old. So the 1 year warranty is only 90 days if you get a replacement turbo. I'm not happy about that.

The only solution I was offered was to purchase a new turbo.

JET
Old 10-30-2006, 10:53 AM
chimmike

interesting. What grade of oil are you using? also...do you wait to let the motor get to normal operating temp before boosting?
Old 10-30-2006, 10:55 AM
mojo powered

sorry but that's crap!

you have a 1 year warranty on your turbo kit, it should be regardless of the turbo's warranty.

You're not trying to get a new turbo because your rebuilt one has failed. You're trying to make sure your kit functions as it's supposed to within that warranty period!!!
Old 10-30-2006, 11:02 AM
JETPILOT

This turbo has been on the car for 8xx mi. 540 of highway driving. I am using 10W40. Yes the car get's up to operasting temp before boosting. The car smoked the minute I drove it out of Sharif's shop. Whatever happened to the turbo is not due to cumulative factors. This is a newly rebuilt turbo. At this point I am ready to throw this turbo kit in the garbage.

Nothing but problems from the minute I got it. First the AFR running the reflash, then the overboost with an aftermarket exhaust and then the 3 turbo's with oil seal issues.

You said it.... that's crap!

JET
Old 10-30-2006, 12:14 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Update....

I called Ed and it seems the warranty for a rebuilt turbo is 90 days even though the kit is less than 1 year old. So the 1 year warranty is only 90 days if you get a replacement turbo. I'm not happy about that.

The only solution I was offered was to purchase a new turbo.

JET
Wow! That's got to have lots of potential Turbonetics customers putting a screeching halt to their plans.

I think "Ed" should call you as soon as possible and explain that he made a mistake and that Turbonetics has changed their warrantee to cover all problems in the first year.

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Turbo Seal Leaking AGAIN !!!! (3rd Turbo)