Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics Turbo Seal Leaking AGAIN !!!! (3rd Turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 07:46 PM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redline350ZZ
JET didn't you change the oil return location to a upper tap and it still happened.
Still, it has happened on cars with tapped spacers more often so I won't count it out a contributing factor. I'm not going to make any assumptions as to what happened in the turbo rebuild process as there's probably more to the situation than I'm hearing from everyone.

The last I heard, turbonetics was still working with you on it, and it seems they've been beyond even what is stated in the no hassle warranty thus far. However, you are out of that year warranty, are you not? I understand your desire to get it fixed free of charge, but would you expect a car dealership to repair a car if it was out of warranty? This is like flaming Nissan for not repairing your car for free when the warranty went out a few months ago.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:06 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Let me give Turbonetics a call in the morning and see whats up. Who called you today? Or did you call them?
I sent Ed an e-mail inquiring about the situation. He replied...."SEEMS THE TURBO HAS NO MAJOR PROBLEMS. YOUR PROBLEM IS NOT THE TURBO BUT SOME OTHER ISSUE." And that was that.

The last I heard, turbonetics was still working with you on it, and it seems they've been beyond even what is stated in the no hassle warranty thus far. However, you are out of that year warranty, are you not? I understand your desire to get it fixed free of charge, but would you expect a car dealership to repair a car if it was out of warranty? This is like flaming Nissan for not repairing your car for free when the warranty went out a few months ago.
They had better STILL be working with me on it. The turbo is STILL under the warranty. Like it was the first time and the second time and the THIRD time. They are not working with me on it. The extent of the situation is I send in Turbo's and they send them back. Same problem each time! Helping to fix the situation? Not really. Making the least effort they can? Yeah more like the reality here.

Don't be a Turbonetics nut hugger! They are dropping the ball and you look like a fool for defending them. I don't know if you are on the TN payroll or not. I don't know what relationship you have with them. But instead of running to the defense of Turbonetics maybe you should be part of the solution instead of the problem.

JET
Old 11-21-2006, 08:33 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
I sent Ed an e-mail inquiring about the situation. He replied...."SEEMS THE TURBO HAS NO MAJOR PROBLEMS. YOUR PROBLEM IS NOT THE TURBO BUT SOME OTHER ISSUE." And that was that.

They had better STILL be working with me on it. The turbo is STILL under the warranty. Like it was the first time and the second time and the THIRD time. They are not working with me on it. The extent of the situation is I send in Turbo's and they send them back. Same problem each time! Helping to fix the situation? Not really. Making the least effort they can? Yeah more like the reality here.

Don't be a Turbonetics nut hugger! They are dropping the ball and you look like a fool for defending them. I don't know if you are on the TN payroll or not. I don't know what relationship you have with them. But instead of running to the defense of Turbonetics maybe you should be part of the solution instead of the problem.

JET
Well I don't know what to tell you here but I'm pretty sure even you agree the first time and possibly second time this happened was because of the return line. In their defense they have worked on your turbos twice now for the same thing. Not that it matters since is the warranty they offered you. But they are doing what they can for you again. I'll talk to Ed tomorrow and see exactly what the test results were. I don't know what else I can do at this point.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:42 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Larry,

do you have higher than normal oil pressure? Are you running a revup oil pump now? does the revup oil pump run at higher pressures?

If so, maybe you need to use some kind of oil restrictor.

Chris (one of Sharif's mechanics) was having major oil leakage (seal) problems with his turbonetics turbo (custom honda setup). He went to a smaller oil feed fitting and smaller line and it solved the problem.....all his smoking problems cleared up ( pun intended. ) Give Chris a call up at Forged.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:50 PM
JETPILOT

Yes... I am running the rev-up oil pump. Since the turbo is under warranty I don't want to change the supply line or the fitting unless Turbonetics stipulates that I do so. I don't want to starve the turbo bearings and cause another problem that isn't covered.

MIA if you could look into seeing if TN recomends the above changes to the feed line and fitting it would be appreciated.

Honestly if it wasn't for this forum and MIA's help in particular I would have taken this kit off long ago.

Thanks
JET
Old 11-21-2006, 08:50 PM
taurran

I took a quick look through the history of your posts and found the post with the date at which your kit was shipped: https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/150213-turbonetics-kit-shipped-today.html . I'd be interested in hearing the date at which this problem was directly reported to them. It's cutting it extremely close to that 1 year mark.

If in fact it was over a year by even one day means you are out of the warranty agreement. If I WERE there working warranty agreements and saw you here doing your best to talk smack on public forums, I'd definitely be the first to say "f it, you're on your own". If it's a single day over that warranty, they're doing you a favor by even picking up the phone and listening to your problem. Instead you're "biting the hand that feeds" and expecting to get your way. Good luck with that.

JET
Way to resort to name calling. That's always a useful way of making a valid point! Turbonetics did send me a free sticker, some t-shirts, and a license plate frame, so I guess you could consider me on the payroll. So far the pay is great and I hope to go full-time soon.

If by the solution you mean being joining in the b****ing and complaining, then you can count me out.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:53 PM
MIAPLAYA

Yes... I am running the rev-up oil pump. Since the turbo is under warranty I don't want to change the supply line or the fitting unless Turbonetics stipulates that I do so. I don't want to starve the turbo bearings and cause another problem that isn't covered.

MIA if you could look into seeing if TN recomends the above changes to the feed line and fitting it would be appreciated.

Honestly if it wasn't for this forum and MIA's help in particular I would have taken this kit off long ago.

Thanks
JET
I will ask. What oil pressure are you seeing at idle and under full throttle...
Old 11-21-2006, 08:53 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by QuadCam
Larry,

do you have higher than normal oil pressure? Are you running a revup oil pump now? does the revup oil pump run at higher pressures?

If so, maybe you need to use some kind of oil restrictor.

Chris (one of Sharif's mechanics) was having major oil leakage (seal) problems with his turbonetics turbo (custom honda setup). He went to a smaller oil feed fitting and smaller line and it solved the problem.....all his smoking problems cleared up ( pun intended. ) Give Chris a call up at Forged.
Good point. At least someone around here is thinking logically instead of hoping the magic turbo fairies fix the problem.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:13 PM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by taurran
I took a quick look through the history of your posts and found the post with the date at which your kit was shipped: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150213 . I'd be interested in hearing the date at which this problem was directly reported to them. It's cutting it extremely close to that 1 year mark.

If in fact it was over a year by even one day means you are out of the warranty agreement. If I WERE there working warranty agreements and saw you here doing your best to talk smack on public forums, I'd definitely be the first to say "f it, you're on your own". If it's a single day over that warranty, they're doing you a favor by even picking up the phone and listening to your problem. Instead you're "biting the hand that feeds" and expecting to get your way. Good luck with that.

Way to resort to name calling. That's always a useful way of making a valid point! Turbonetics did send me a free sticker, some t-shirts, and a license plate frame, so I guess you could consider me on the payroll. So far the pay is great and I hope to go full-time soon.

If by the solution you mean being joining in the b****ing and complaining, then you can count me out.
You got nothing..... your so desperate to save face and prove your point that your actually reasearching my posts for dates. Priceless!

"Talk smack"..... What a drama queen!! My complaints are valid. Pity the fool who says anything negative about Taurrans beloved Turbonetics.

How is your up pipe A/C bracket holding on... did the weld crack yet like everyone elses did and bleed exhaust gas before reaching the turbo? Let me guess... That's only my issue as well?

JET
Old 11-21-2006, 09:15 PM
JETPILOT

I will ask. What oil pressure are you seeing at idle and under full throttle...
I really don't remeber.

JET
Old 11-21-2006, 09:34 PM
taurran

You got nothing..... your so desperate to save face and prove your point that your actually reasearching my posts for dates. Priceless!
I'm not "saving face". You're the one that should be concerned with that at this point.

"Talk smack"..... What a drama queen!! My complaints are valid. Pity the fool who says anything negative about Taurrans beloved Turbonetics.
It appears you're used to throwing tantrums as a means to get your way.

I really don't care if you talk negative about Turbonetics when you have a valid point. I simply try to approach it from a logical standpoint and try to see it from all angles. Believing that a car blows seals on a turbo 3x leads me to believe there's a logical reason for it.

How is your up pipe A/C bracket holding on... did the weld crack yet like everyone elses did and bleed exhaust gas before reaching the turbo? Let me guess... That's only my issue as well?

JET
Nope, mine seems to be just fine. I haven't heard of this being a problem. Perhaps you should double check your install.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:40 PM
MIAPLAYA

I really don't remeber.

JET
Can you check this please when the turbo comes back? Or see if Sharif remembers.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:47 PM
MIAPLAYA

JET
Huh? A/C bracket? First I have heard of that happening.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:54 PM
JETPILOT

My A/C mounting bracket failed on my up pipe. It ripped open the pipe. I BOUGHT a new pipe. I didn't come here to compalin about it or claim it under my warranty. The pipe was $289. Sharif said he has seen many, and I believe Andrew's car (Quadcam) had the same issue If I remember correctly. Didn't anyone notice why people have been asking for thicker piping in the stage II?

JET
Old 11-21-2006, 09:56 PM
MIAPLAYA

My A/C mounting bracket failed on my up pipe. It ripped open the pipe. I BOUGHT a new pipe. I didn't come here to compalin about it or claim it under my warranty. The pipe was $289. Sharif said he has seen many, and I believe Andrew's car (Quadcam) had the same issue If I remember correctly. Didn't anyone notice why people have been asking for thicker piping in the stage II?

JET
Actually people were asking for a larger inner diameter downpipe. No one has mentioned the up pipe having an issue with the bracket or welding on it. This is honestly the first time I heard of it. Why did you buy it? They would have sent you a new one.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:57 PM
JETPILOT

Can you check this please when the turbo comes back? Or see if Sharif remembers.
I will check it when the turbo comes back. If I remember correctly and I may be wrong I think it was idling @ 40PSI and reached 80 under WOT.

JET
Old 11-21-2006, 09:58 PM
MIAPLAYA

I will check it when the turbo comes back. If I remember correctly and I may be wrong I think it was idling @ 40PSI and reached 80 under WOT.

JET
Holy oil pressure Batman!!! Thats WAY too high. I see 15-20 PSI at idle when warm and not much over 60 PSI under WOT. Sounds like we have a potential root cause.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:04 PM
JETPILOT

Here is the link to Andrew asking the question about the up pipe.

https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...6&postcount=51

JET
Old 11-21-2006, 10:09 PM
MIAPLAYA

Here is the link to Andrew asking the question about the up pipe.

https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...6&postcount=51

JET
Ok I didn't see that post. Even taking that and yours into account thats two total reported to date. Far from everyone. And certainly the first I have heard of it. Regardless Turbonetics would have sent you a new one. And Andrew didn't say his was broken. Just that he heard of it. Although thats besides the point.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:10 PM
redline350ZZ

My oil pressure gets high as well but its always been like that (Pre-FI)

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Turbo Seal Leaking AGAIN !!!! (3rd Turbo)