Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics Turbo Seal Leaking AGAIN !!!! (3rd Turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 07:58 PM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zcoco
the accelerated oil compsumption use with Amsoil is normal when you put
Amsoil inside an engine that has burnt crude oil on the sum of it's parts.
it normally takes a full 2 years to clean out a engine that used conventional oil previous to Amsoil, especially one that used dino oil for longer than 50,000 miles.
The initial fill and first 10,000 miles with Amsoil will clean the engine but will consume 2x the amount it did before, but in most cases not more than a gallon has to be used to clean the engine and have less oil compsumption
than with conventional crude oil.
Did you use the Amsoil engine cleaner previous to adding Amsoil?
it will help the cleaning process move along much faster than not using it.
Add cleaner, new oil filter, use the oil you have before the change, 20 minutes at high idle, Dump oil/filter. after that you add Amsoil and new filter, with this procedure most engines are clean after the first 25,000 miles using Amsoil.
my Yamaha 3.0 uses 1 QT oil every 12,000 miles, been using Amsoil from 70,000 /128,000 3 oil changes with 5w30 I just added my last quart left from the 5 gallons I bought 3 years ago
Interesting. I've asked around a few times as to why it would burn so fast after a change, but never was given this reason. I've had the car 2 years and have used Amsoil for about 6 months of it that time, TS-1 for about 3 months, and Mobil 1 synthetic the rest of the time. It had a previous owner so I can't really say what kind of oil they used in the car. In the past 2 years i've put about 14,000 miles on it and I drive it even less now. I'd be lucky now to put 5,000 miles on it in one year. At that rate my car should be clean in late 2011.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:35 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whip24lash
Hey just curious, Jet you keep mentioning that the smoke is white. I always remebered burnt oil being blue. Obviously you're problem is the seal since you've visually seen it but I was just wondering about it being white? If I remember correctly-

white=water
blue=oil
black=fuel

I don't know **** about mechanics so I may be way off with my thinking. Anyways, good luck in your future ventures. I blew 2 engines, 3 sets up turbos, 3 clutches, new set of heads and a few other things on my 90tt(no fault of my own). I feel your pain.
Maybe it is blue tinged.... I'm looking at it in my rear view mirror through tinted glass going 120+

JET
Old 11-10-2006, 10:38 AM
whip24lash

lol- don't spend too much time looking back at those speeds!!-good luck with everything.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:54 AM
chimmike

everyone says oil smoke is blue. Sorry, but I've not seen much blue oil smoke.

the ONLY TRUE WAY to differentiate between water and oil smoke:

Oil smoke lingers.

Water smoke dissipates because it's not even smoke as much as a steam-like vapor.

Zcoco, I know they advertise full synth, but they're not anymore. It's kinda sad.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:35 AM
SoFla350z

I have this same problem with smoke on decel after boosting wot. Recently it has been getting worse. I think I'm out of the 1 year warranty. How much does it cost to have my turbo rebuilt/ seals replaced? I have about 2500miles on the kit.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:54 AM
chimmike

Originally Posted by SoFla350z
I have this same problem with smoke on decel after boosting wot. Recently it has been getting worse. I think I'm out of the 1 year warranty. How much does it cost to have my turbo rebuilt/ seals replaced? I have about 2500miles on the kit.
Call turbonetics We aren't turbonetics
Old 11-17-2006, 07:59 AM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SoFla350z
We can never quote a price without actually tearing the turbo down and inspecting it. The price can be anywhere from a couple of hundred to the price of the turbo. You would have to contact one of us and get a IA number to send the turbo in.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:26 PM
JETPILOT

Turbonetics reported today that the turbo was looked at and they can't find any issue with the turbo... wtf!!! What situations would cause the oil to push past the oil seals on the turbo and compressor sides???? Drain line is unobstructed!! I am lost!

JET
Old 11-21-2006, 06:28 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Turbonetics reported today that the turbo was looked at and they can't find any issue with the turbo... wtf!!! What situations would cause the oil to push past the oil seals on the turbo and compressor sides???? Drain line is unobstructed!! I am lost!

JET
Do you have a catch can? If the seal is intact and you are combusting/burning oil perhaps the oil is not coming from the turbo but rather from blow by. Or perhaps the oil filter was greatly increased on the feed line? Was the mesh filter still present on the oil inlet port on the bearing housing?
Old 11-21-2006, 06:31 PM
redline350ZZ

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Do you have a catch can? If the seal is intact and you are combusting/burning oil perhaps the oil is not coming from the turbo but rather from blow by.

He initially posted that the oil leak was so bad the silicone pipe coupler was sliding off.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:33 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

i dont mean to sound lieka smart *** bro, but i mean you ahve some custom modifications to the trubo kit correct?, like something to fix the overboost...jet coating... i wonder if anything there cause anything.. just wondered...i honestly i am out of ideas too... its all too werid
Old 11-21-2006, 07:00 PM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Do you have a catch can? If the seal is intact and you are combusting/burning oil perhaps the oil is not coming from the turbo but rather from blow by. Or perhaps the oil filter was greatly increased on the feed line? Was the mesh filter still present on the oil inlet port on the bearing housing?
The turbo compressor housing has a little river of all flowing from the bearing seal down the inside of the compressor housing. There is oil inside every pipe from the turbo to the TB. The intercooler was filled with oil. The boots were so filled with oil they would squish out from under the clamps as you tightened them. There was a pool of oil sitting in the intercooler. This is not blowby. No way. There is NO WAY that seal could be intact!!! Impossible!!!

I didn't remove the oil fitting on the turbo. I shipped it with the oil inlet fitting installed.

The oil seal is compromised. That's a fact. No way it's not. There is no way I will install this turbo on my car again without the problem being identified. I'm not going to install this turbo after all this cleaning only for it to happen again.

JET
Old 11-21-2006, 07:03 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

The turbo compressor housing has a little river of all flowing from the bearing seal down the inside of the compressor housing. There is oil inside every pipe from the turbo to the TB. The intercooler was filled with oil. The boots were so filled with oil they would squish out from under the clamps as you tightened them. There was a pool of oil sitting in the intercooler. This is not blowby. No way. There is NO WAY that seal could be intact!!! Impossible!!!

I didn't remove the oil fitting on the turbo. I shipped it with the oil inlet fitting installed.

The oil seal is compromised. That's a fact. No way it's not. There is no way I will install this turbo on my car again without the problem being identified. I'm not going to install this turbo after all this cleaning only for it to happen again.

JET
its kidna late today to speculate Jet, tomorrow get in touch witht hem ask for pics and stuff and go forward from there
doesn't hurt to check anythign else in your system as well
Old 11-21-2006, 07:11 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
i dont mean to sound lieka smart *** bro, but i mean you ahve some custom modifications to the trubo kit correct?, like something to fix the overboost...jet coating... i wonder if anything there cause anything.. just wondered...i honestly i am out of ideas too... its all too werid
None of that should cause the seal to go bad. It has to be something with the oil feed/return components, the location of the return tap, the oil, or the seal itself.

There definitely is something at cause here if it's happened three times on the same car, and very few people have had this happen once, much less three times.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:15 PM
JETPILOT

This isn't something that happens over time. This turbo was rebuilt and installed on a freshly built motor and it happened immediately. The oil return is in the upper pan as per the Turbonetics directions. Actually I can't even say it was rebuilt. I sent the turbo in before the motor build and they sent it back. Who knows if they did anything. They probably did nothing. No one at Turbonetics is helping me in any way. There are no suggestions. No communication. No anything.

JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 11-21-2006 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:19 PM
redline350ZZ

JET didn't you change the oil return location to a upper tap and it still happened.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:22 PM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by redline350ZZ
JET didn't you change the oil return location to a upper tap and it still happened.
Yes.

JET
Old 11-21-2006, 07:26 PM
MIAPLAYA

Well I apologize for not immediately remembering or knowing all this info. I'm just trying to help here. I don't recall any of this. I'll hit those guys up in the morning and see what I can find out...
Old 11-21-2006, 07:30 PM
JETPILOT

I have no problem repeating it... really I don't.

JET
Old 11-21-2006, 07:44 PM
MIAPLAYA

I have no problem repeating it... really I don't.

JET
Let me give Turbonetics a call in the morning and see whats up. Who called you today? Or did you call them?

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Turbo Seal Leaking AGAIN !!!! (3rd Turbo)