Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

What Other Manufacturers Turbo's Will Fit The Turbonetics Stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 11:22 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What Other Manufacturers Turbo's Will Fit The Turbonetics Stage 1

What other manufacturers turbo's will fit the Turbonetics kit and make 450 - 550 whp ? Anybody know of any offerings by HKS, Garret, Mitsubishi etc? has anybody installed anything else already?

JET
Old 11-01-2006, 11:43 PM
rocks

If its a T3 bolt pattern you can use a holsetHX35w, im not sure it will psyically fit, but it might. These turbos can be had used for like 400$.. Just weld the internal gate on it shut, to use a external. Holsets are crazy turbos. Now to see how many people flame me for liking holsets
Old 11-02-2006, 12:27 AM
JETPILOT

It's a T4 bolt pattern. Thanks for your input.

JET
Old 11-02-2006, 04:47 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Once you find the turbo, likely, you only have to custom fab the 1st section of downpipe.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:02 AM
chimmike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ever seen a mitsubishi turbo flange? lol.

that's a garrett flange. Problem is going to be lining up the downpipe to a non-tangential turbine housing, and you also might come into clearance issues too.

I'd talk to TN about the GTK turbos when SEMA is over.

Remember with the GT ball bearing garrett turbos, you MUST run a restrictor on them and they really should be water cooled too. (more plumbing=pita)

btw, to be honest wtih you, I think the turbine housing is a t3 inlet flange. Outlet is obviously 4 bolt.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:11 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What does T3-T4 signify ? Take for granted size, But how does it relate to size-----Is there T2-T5 etc ? but curious
Old 11-02-2006, 05:44 AM
chimmike

Originally Posted by E***zzzzy
What does T3-T4 signify ? Take for granted size, But how does it relate to size-----Is there T2-T5 etc ? but curious
they signify size. There's no such thing as a t5. It's all subjective...just like "horsepower" as a designation for power.

a t3/t4 is a hybrid turbo which uses a t3 turbine side (smaller) for better spool with a t4 compressor side for better flow and power.

the 60-1 on the TN kit is based of a straight t4 but for spool characteristics TN decided to use a t3 turbine housing.

www.turbobygarrett.com check that site out.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:53 AM
tig488

Originally Posted by chimmike
Remember with the GT ball bearing garrett turbos, you MUST run a restrictor on them and they really should be water cooled too. (more plumbing=pita)
you mean oil restrictor, right?
Old 11-02-2006, 06:00 AM
chimmike

yes, oil restrictor. www.atpturbo.com sells GT turbo fitting kits.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:16 AM
mojo powered

I'd call ATP Turbo and tell them exactly what turbo you have. They will be able to tell you what fits and what doesn't.. and even make a custom combination that works for you.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:28 AM
tig488

i think the GT series have a restrictor built into inlet of the cartridge, but you can add another just to make sure. anybody know about this.

speaking of restrictor, i dont think the aps single kit has one included, the oil feed is a banjo fitting, unless the oil feed solenoid has a restrictor in it. i wonder if thats whats causing all the smoking and oil flooding issues.

Last edited by tig488; 11-02-2006 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:59 AM
chimmike

i've been told the garrett GT turbos do NOT have restrictors built in. You'd be able to tell.

It's pretty detrimental to have a restrictor in the GT turbos, or the excess flow will blow the seals out quick.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:01 AM
znot

subscribed..........hope tn will take care of your "smoking" issue.....cough.cough..seal..cough.cough.....thinghy....some thing just doesnt add up, especially after the 3rd time..........anyhow, i too am interested to see what options are available for the t60 replacement......g/luck.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:10 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why would you go through the trouble of doing this when in less than 1 week TN will post official info, pricing, specs on the Stage 2? Impatience will cost you $$$ down the tube, you cant slap on a turbo that "fits" and expect it to perform.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:16 AM
rocks

A holset would perform. It makes a gt35r cry like a baby.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:24 AM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Jet hang in there bro , I know this SEMA has got us with our hands tied but I have your proof of purchase and have been in contact with Reggie. I also agree you may spend more down the line if you go with a afternarket turbo and I understand your frustration. It's your choice what you decide but I wish you'd stay with us and let us help you. I was thining since you fixed your problems with the oil tap the turbo you have maybe blew the seals before your fix. So if that is the case you may have fixed the problem on the tap but your still using a faulty turbo and that is what is causing the leakage. Now once you get the other turbo from us you will be starting fresh with a fixed tap and a different turbo. I hope we can solve your issue if only you give us the opportunity to do so.......
Old 11-02-2006, 09:45 AM
rocks

Hah you can buy a flange for the uppipe for like 20$, and pay a welder to weld it for around 10$. You can also have a new flange put on the exhaust, those flanges are like 20$ too. I cant belive no one is willing to give out the bolt pattern for the turbo. Call turbonetics and ask them what it is, a t3 or t4. Or send it to majestic turbo and have it fixed for cheap.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:56 AM
chimmike

Originally Posted by rocks
A holset would perform. It makes a gt35r cry like a baby.
as a turbo from a diesel truck, it better.

But no, it won't make a GT35R cry like a baby.........and some of us don't like the ghetto turbo route on our 350z's.

Wait for the GTK on stage 2 dude....trust me. Aside from the fact that the modifications necessary to put a different turbo on may not be worth the trouble.

TN already said they'd take care of the current turbo issue he's having.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:11 AM
rocks

LOL Ghetto turbo route, so every thing you buy has to be new right? I guess you could buy a new holset for 1500$, or get a used one in perfect condition for 400$. I would like to try a hybrid holset hx35/40 on z. that would be fun
Old 11-02-2006, 10:56 AM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by Ed 718
^ Jet hang in there bro , I know this SEMA has got us with our hands tied but I have your proof of purchase and have been in contact with Reggie. I also agree you may spend more down the line if you go with a afternarket turbo and I understand your frustration. It's your choice what you decide but I wish you'd stay with us and let us help you. I was thining since you fixed your problems with the oil tap the turbo you have maybe blew the seals before your fix. So if that is the case you may have fixed the problem on the tap but your still using a faulty turbo and that is what is causing the leakage. Now once you get the other turbo from us you will be starting fresh with a fixed tap and a different turbo. I hope we can solve your issue if only you give us the opportunity to do so.......
This was a fresh turbo with the new tap in the upper oil pan. This turbo was returned to you and rebuilt and installed on my rebuilt motor. This was a newly rebuilt turbo on a newly rebuilt motor with the oil return tapped into the upper oil pan.

JET

Quick Reply: What Other Manufacturers Turbo's Will Fit The Turbonetics Stage 1