Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My APS Extreme TT with built motor story...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 02:18 AM
Devil Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ctwentytwo
Or if you pull the plug on Alyssa, why not stay in the Nissan family and get the new GT-R? I'm sure I'll be looking at your modified GT-R and crapping my pants...
Dude . . . if you know Alex you'll know that he already has the GT-R on order by some magical means. Which means he'll either keep his Z AND have the GT-R, or part ways with the Z AND have the GT-R.

Oh yeah Alex, good luck.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:24 AM
KShep

It truly saddens me to read about this misfortune. Sharif and a few others can attest that I have been there....both mechanically and financially.

At first glance I would recommend forgetting legal action...as it takes up a lot of time not only from you, but also from those who have performed work with due dilegence. With so many hands on the project it is very difficult to prove the fault lies with one specific aspect of the install.

Note: I did request the assistance of an attorney but only after the shop that blew my motor sent me a bill for it. Should your inspection reveal that the machinist was most likley to be at fault, it would not hurt to have legal counsel send a letter requesting compensation or replacement parts at cost.

Since your Z seems to be in capable hands now I hope you will complete the project. My g/f has asked me 1000 times "why don't you just sell it?"

Aside from the financial hit, I simply cannot get the same satisfaction from driving anything else. When you no longer get that feeling....time to say goodbye I guess.

OT: Sharif...the motor is running perfect still and the VB is working seemlessly. I am having a new throttle body installed under warranty in hopes of fixing the 'LIMP' issue. Will keep you advised.

To the OP: Good luck making this decision. I admit I am pulling for you to realize the goal you set for your Z.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:44 AM
roncfpz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alex, I am so sorry to read the news. The car mod hobby can be a tremendously frustrating, challenging and rewarding experience. I believe 80% of the experience is dictated by the people and shops you work with. I believe you are in good hands with Sam & GTM and believe you will be rewarded from the personal satisfaction of completing the project. It is a "super Z" project to say the least. I have been at the "crossroads" a few times during my project; continue or sell and get another car. I just don't see you getting the same feeling from a stock Z06. That's just my humble opinion and of course you must choose what is best for you. Best of luck!

Ron
Old 12-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Kenk2
Professional

Damn sorry to Bro.. Reading this thread was pretty sickening and I do agree with alot of peeps here as someone owes you some kind of restitution..

I am a Biz owner and if something like this were to happen to any of my customers.. I would for sure have to do whatever I could to make things fair and right.. We have been around for 22 years because we take care of peeps.. Good luck with whatever you do bro.. I know its hard but you gotta do whats right for you and your family..
Old 12-22-2006, 08:59 AM
Winchm60

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That really sucks to hear, i always LOVED your car!

Best of luck to whatever you decide to do next!!!
Old 12-22-2006, 09:11 AM
buffmanjeff

I would have spent that money on an M6. Sorry to hear you are at a crossroad.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:03 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rx7twinturboboy
That really sucks to hear, i always LOVED your car!

Best of luck to whatever you decide to do next!!!
Old 12-22-2006, 04:07 PM
skidmarq

I don't even feel worthy enough to post in this thread...

I've been reading this for the past few days and still get choked up thinking what you must be going through...it isn't just the money, it's the vision, and the time devoted to the project...

I really don't think I can add much that hasn't always been said, but just know that we are behind you with whatever you decide to do since, ultimately, your opinion is the only one that matters...
Old 12-22-2006, 04:53 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There will be a happy ending to this story.

That car is too amazing to abandon it, and I think that after the dust settles you will jump right back into it. Take a nice break and enjoy your holidays. Forgot about the pain in the *** its been and take a little time off. I predict you will quickly begin to miss the project after some time off. These cars become such a large part of our lives and preoccupy our minds so much that for any of us to drop a project completely would require a major full time distraction.

I look forward to hearing of the cars future success.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Kenk2
Professional

Originally Posted by phunk
There will be a happy ending to this story.

That car is too amazing to abandon it, and I think that after the dust settles you will jump right back into it. Take a nice break and enjoy your holidays. Forgot about the pain in the *** its been and take a little time off. I predict you will quickly begin to miss the project after some time off. These cars become such a large part of our lives and preoccupy our minds so much that for any of us to drop a project completely would require a major full time distraction.

I look forward to hearing of the cars future success.
Amen to that brother!!
Old 12-22-2006, 07:40 PM
JuanFunction2ND
Sponsor
Function:Tuned

man i feel ur pain. but u have one of a kind Z, that u have build from the ground up. it would be sad to just give up..
Good luck with what ever u decide
Old 12-22-2006, 10:55 PM
Devil Z

Well Alex good luck with future endeavors. I will be Z-less probably for my college days, but I will be back with a vengeance once I get enough cash.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:04 PM
yellowandfast

I would say stay the course and finish the project. Install the 4.2L stroker kit and make it more unique. Take a break, and enjoy the Holidays. Good luck with what you decide.

Richard

RichChiM3@aol.com
Old 12-22-2006, 11:22 PM
Devil Z

Originally Posted by yellowandfast
I would say stay the course and finish the project. Install the 4.2L stroker kit and make it more unique. Take a break, and enjoy the Holidays. Good luck with what you decide.

Richard

RichChiM3@aol.com
That's a good way to go too.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:28 AM
silver nismo

follow ur heart...
Old 12-23-2006, 06:24 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

if it makes you feel any better, I have had my motor in and out of my car 7 times, early on, for fixing, and recently for R&D...I have well over 100k into my car..and I just got it running again last night!! Being one of the first few int he country to go with a built motor, we unfortunately learned the hard way..talk to Gurgen as well, he's on lucky number 7 too, I think

hope you get up and running soon, but it could ALWAYS be worse!

TODD
Old 12-23-2006, 06:42 AM
Theatrix
Professional

I've read bits of the thread and I will apoligize in advance if I am repeating someones elses suggestion, but perhaps you can find someone with new enthusiasm to pick up were you have stopped for a package price. Seems a waste to come so far and kill the prodject.
In any event, of course there needs to be accountability. Either yours or a vendor who did not anticipate. You paid good money to achieve a goal which was laid out to all. Your partners (vendors) are professionals who put themselves out there as such for a fee. Professionals must be held accountable, thats why you go to them.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do here. That GT-R must be in the back of your mind to consider calling it quits!
Old 12-23-2006, 03:32 PM
forbidden710

my question to you is , why didnt you sleeve the motor whiles you were building it initially? Wouldnt that be part of the safe guard from problems since your already spending the money?
Old 12-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by forbidden710
my question to you is , why didnt you sleeve the motor whiles you were building it initially? Wouldnt that be part of the safe guard from problems since your already spending the money?
that's another story that I prefer not to get into right now.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:25 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Alex

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I lived in SF for 3 years while at UCSF, and it was a nightmare finding a good shop. In fact, there were only two, Scott Perf, and Z car garage, both in south bay. I'll tell you, neither are worth their weight in sh$t, especially Rob's shop. Unfortunately, there are no options at all for people for NorCal folks. When I met Ron, I was thoroughly unimpressed. His sales spiel was sooooo geared toward someone that knew nothing that it was laughable. This is one ofthose shops that charges people (what I like to call) per preceived job complexity-hours, and not per actual hours, if that makes sense. Oh yeah, when an engine swap alone takes no more than 12 hours to do (and this is a really consevative estimate), and he wants $3500 to do it, while their shop rate is around 90 or so, it makes you think. He quoted me 20 hours of labor plus supplies to take out my right side turbo and manifold for repair (welding the cracked PE tubular header) way back when i had those. I hate shops that do this. Aside from that, I kind of quizzed him on some things, and it was obvious to me that he didn't know anything......period, in addition to being a BSer. Additionally, there are no machine shops with any kind of Vq35 experience in the bay area.

That being said, your are in the right hands with Sam... i wholeheartedly believe that. After being through the whole norcal nightmare, he is the only one that truly knows what he's doing, a true master. Which is why he is, and will be in the future, the only one to touch my car. And you know that he will stand behind his work/product. I really hope you keep your car...I have seen it a few times parked at GTM, and it's an incredible piece.

Cheers

Last edited by GurgenPB; 12-23-2006 at 04:31 PM.

Quick Reply: My APS Extreme TT with built motor story...