Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Blown Engine Stage II SC

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 11:11 AM
MMC Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by captj3
What good is a warranty if they cap it at 3k? What would have happened if a rod went through the block? I guess 3k is better than nothing. How much is a short block and gasket kit from nissan? Does it state in your warranty papers that 3k is the limit? If not they have some explaining to do along with stillen.
Because it probably covers replacing it with a stock shortblock. The intent isn't to get you into a built engine if your engine blows.

But $3000 parts and labor does seem low, or is the $3000 the parts limit?

-Mark
Old 03-24-2007, 11:19 AM
captj3

Originally Posted by STL Lightning
Because it probably covers replacing it with a stock shortblock. The intent isn't to get you into a built engine if your engine blows.

But $3000 parts and labor does seem low, or is the $3000 the parts limit?

-Mark

At no time did I think they would pay to have the motor built. I was to lazy to edit my post. But I still wonder how 3k can cover a short block plus labor and addtional parts? I'm just going by the rates all the shops are charging here. Or are they just giving it to us up the ying yang.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:11 PM
username

Honestly, its not a bad deal considering that the extended warranty costs around $250.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:04 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck with everything.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:36 AM
nateg35

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
Been running Stage 2 for about about 8mos. now. Only problem was shredding the 4-rib belt off the snout, but got that fixed with no problems since. Started hearing some light pinging under WOT right before redline, after a coupld tanks of Shell premium. Just installed the Stage 4 parts this past weekend, along with the gauges I've had sitting here for awhile. Now I can actually monitor what's going on too! Haven't heard any pinging yet, with the new SS box and fuel from other gas stations besides that particular Shell station.

Check with Stillen about the 6 rib belt kit....this should resolve the shredding the belt or tighten it....This required to relocate the plenum a little
Old 03-26-2007, 10:15 AM
BlackSpec02

6 rib belt kit? I havent heard about that.. is that a new upgrade?
Old 03-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Starchecker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I don't see how $3K is going to cover much, considering both parts and labor. If that's the case, going stillen for the warranty doesn't make a lot of sense. I had pretty much decided to go JWT after awhile anyway. But I am just dreaming since I don't have the $ for the Turbo kit, let alone a rebuild if it blows!
Old 03-26-2007, 04:04 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Starchecker
Yeah I don't see how $3K is going to cover much, considering both parts and labor. If that's the case, going stillen for the warranty doesn't make a lot of sense. I had pretty much decided to go JWT after awhile anyway. But I am just dreaming since I don't have the $ for the Turbo kit, let alone a rebuild if it blows!
Replacing stock parts with stock parts, it seems to me to be about right. If you are talking about replacing stock parts with forged internals, etc, then no, it will not cover it. But an engine warranty is not a "if you blow it up, we pay for an upgrade" warranty.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:08 AM
captj3

Originally Posted by gringott
Replacing stock parts with stock parts, it seems to me to be about right. If you are talking about replacing stock parts with forged internals, etc, then no, it will not cover it. But an engine warranty is not a "if you blow it up, we pay for an upgrade" warranty.

I don't think anyone is expecting the warranty to cover forged internals.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:56 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by captj3
I don't think anyone is expecting the warranty to cover forged internals.
The statement was that $3K wasn't going to cover much, my remark was in reference to that. Of course it depends on what was destroyed in the engine, but I think the normal problems we are seeing when a stock engine goes under FI can be covered by $3K, if the goal is to return the engine to the state it was before the incident. But the tendency I see on these boards is to replace a stock engine with some $12K or more overbuilt forged internals monster rather than correct the problem that caused the stock engine to go, such as detonation.

I've been running with the stock engine under FI for more miles and time than I care to remember, if my engine goes I am very tempted to replace it with another stock engine, simply because I can pick a long block up for so much less than even the cheapest "stage 0" forged shortblock. I can use the extra monies saved to buy my own cherry picker and other tools to make engine swapping easier.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:25 AM
Vash350Z

The statement was that $3K wasn't going to cover much, my remark was in reference to that. Of course it depends on what was destroyed in the engine, but I think the normal problems we are seeing when a stock engine goes under FI can be covered by $3K, if the goal is to return the engine to the state it was before the incident. But the tendency I see on these boards is to replace a stock engine with some $12K or more overbuilt forged internals monster rather than correct the problem that caused the stock engine to go, such as detonation.

I've been running with the stock engine under FI for more miles and time than I care to remember, if my engine goes I am very tempted to replace it with another stock engine, simply because I can pick a long block up for so much less than even the cheapest "stage 0" forged shortblock. I can use the extra monies saved to buy my own cherry picker and other tools to make engine swapping easier.
+1000000000000000
Old 03-27-2007, 08:22 AM
Starchecker

No, I certainly wouldn't expect them to pay for an upgrade. It's good to know if you blow an engine $3K will cover all the parts and labor to get it back to stock.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:56 PM
nateg35

Originally Posted by BlackSpec02
6 rib belt kit? I havent heard about that.. is that a new upgrade?
Yeap
Old 03-27-2007, 03:50 PM
fklentz

Default Dell

I don't know if this was mentioned here but I read that the warranty offered by Stillen is actually funded thru the Dell computer people. New Engine? "Dude Yer Getting a Dell"
Old 03-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

Originally Posted by nateg35
Check with Stillen about the 6 rib belt kit....this should resolve the shredding the belt or tighten it....This required to relocate the plenum a little
I've already heard about it. No problems since, and I have an extra belt here just in case, so I'm just gonna stick with it.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:47 AM
username

Ok, got my results from the tear down. Bent rod and a hole in a valve in cylinder 3. The integrity of the block is still good. They are going to be able to use the stock block for the rebuild. I have to wait until the rep from the warranty company can come out and inspect for himself.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:23 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

its good to hear that the block is still good.when you rebuild it might be a good idea to at least put some eagle rods back in.just bite the bullit and spend the small amount that they cost for security,s sake.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:49 AM
username

I am having Eagle rods and Arias Heavy Duty Pistons going in.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:34 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Originally Posted by username
sweeeet. now its time for a 10 psi pulley.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:10 AM
Starchecker

Originally Posted by username
What's your out of pocket going to be on that?

Quick Reply: Blown Engine Stage II SC