Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Holsets vs Garrets

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 09:13 PM
dukeduster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holsets vs Garrets

I have read this forum a number of times and always come to the bashing of the holset turbos. "ex: Why run such a cheap turbo on a expensive car" In this case you may find cheap Better. #1 Holsets have been tried and proven for over 200,000 miles on diesel engines. #2 Map width enhancment groove has been around for quite sometime on the hx35's and prove that this turbo is very advanced. #3 why would I pay 1300ish for a gt35r when I can get a HX35w for 500 brand new? #4 not only is the holset more inexpensive but guess what it flows about the same a a large gt35r. #5 twin scroll offers extremely fast spool time in the 12cm housing it has. Yes I know some gt35r's are offered in a twin scroll turbine housing but that cost more and yes you guessed it holset's come standard with a twin scroll housing. There haven been plenty of people running holsets on just as advnced cars as the 350z as far as technology is concerned. Me myself am enjoying a HX35w on a built 2.5L ej257 in my bugeye wrx. Would I EVER consider buying a name brand kit and swearing by it? NO.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:22 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok
Old 12-28-2006, 09:40 PM
dukeduster

great I'm glad we got that clear!
Old 12-28-2006, 09:56 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Thanks for sharing...can I have my 38 seconds back?
Old 12-28-2006, 11:09 PM
dukeduster

Nope you cant have your 30 something odd seconds back because you needed to know that!
Old 12-28-2006, 11:11 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Thanks for sharing...can I have my 38 seconds back?
38 sec to read that?
Man, you're slow reader...
Old 12-28-2006, 11:12 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by dukeduster
I have read this forum a number of times and always come to the bashing of the holset turbos. "ex: Why run such a cheap turbo on a expensive car" In this case you may find cheap Better. #1 Holsets have been tried and proven for over 200,000 miles on diesel engines. #2 Map width enhancment groove has been around for quite sometime on the hx35's and prove that this turbo is very advanced. #3 why would I pay 1300ish for a gt35r when I can get a HX35w for 500 brand new? #4 not only is the holset more inexpensive but guess what it flows about the same a a large gt35r. #5 twin scroll offers extremely fast spool time in the 12cm housing it has. Yes I know some gt35r's are offered in a twin scroll turbine housing but that cost more and yes you guessed it holset's come standard with a twin scroll housing. There haven been plenty of people running holsets on just as advnced cars as the 350z as far as technology is concerned. Me myself am enjoying a HX35w on a built 2.5L ej257 in my bugeye wrx. Would I EVER consider buying a name brand kit and swearing by it? NO.

Great! Awesome! Helpful info! Now, what does that to do with...

ANYTHING!!!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 11:21 PM
dukeduster

This forum is full of brand jocking guys!

"ex: Why run such a cheap turbo on a expensive car"

its called reading ever heard of it?
Old 12-29-2006, 12:09 AM
MIAPLAYA

Um, with the way this car motor and turbo kits are setup you don't need divided housings... And I don't see anyone here bashing Holsets. They are nice units. But there are better units out there...
Old 12-29-2006, 01:28 AM
dukeduster

Well if someone could develop a twin scroll exhaust header you would greatly benefit from it. I really don't see any better units for the money at all. All you would have to do is pair the three cylinders that fire first into one inlet and the other three into the other inlet and wallah you have yourself a very fast spooling turbo. I am just sharing some info with you guys so bash me if you would like. I mean thats kinda what i expected from most of you guys who aren't mechanically inclined.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:22 AM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

..........nvm
Old 12-29-2006, 06:43 AM
ht4

Well if someone could develop a twin scroll exhaust header you would greatly benefit from it. I really don't see any better units for the money at all. All you would have to do is pair the three cylinders that fire first into one inlet and the other three into the other inlet and wallah you have yourself a very fast spooling turbo. I am just sharing some info with you guys so bash me if you would like. I mean thats kinda what i expected from most of you guys who aren't mechanically inclined.
The 3+3 setup might be logistically challenging unless the turbo was mounted low like the APS single setup.

Out of curiosity, do you really think there will be an appreciable difference in spool with the dual scroll given the (reletively) large displacement of the VQ? I always thought that the dual scroll configuration is much more helpful to those running turbos of this size off of a low compression 2.0L engine.

A couple things that you don't point out: GT35R is dual ball bearing and water-cooled -- two features which significantly increase the cost of the turbo. The HX35w is not. I'm not say that the HX35w is not a great deal for what it is, but your story leaves a couple important details out.

In any case, what is this to you? Someone looking for a job in Holset's marketing department?
Old 12-29-2006, 07:05 AM
Nealoc187

Reeeee-tarded. Let me know when you have an HX35w that has the response of a 35R - I won't be waiting because you'll not find one... I know alot of guys who have run 'Sets, some of them like them, some of them didn't. But I will say this - the fastest DSMs and Evos I know of aren't running Holsets (and I know quite a few, working in that industry).

Anyways, your post comes off as quite pretentious seeing as how you don't have a 350z, you have 15 posts here and no one knows you from Adam, and you're chastizing a bunch of people who don't care what you have on your WRX for using proven, quality products. No one seems to care. Holsets are not bad turbos, but your post is annoying with your Holset flag waving given the reasons above.

divided housing manifold on a 350z lol have fun fabbing that...
Old 12-29-2006, 07:55 AM
lemansz20
Banned

if YOU cn fab up a divided housing manifold for the small clearance of my car I will buy it, b/c your talking alot of stuff when you obviously have no idea, how tight it is in these cars.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:07 AM
tig488

i dont see any of the current turbo setups suffering from much lag.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:47 AM
dukeduster

Well This proves my point exactly the holset is NOT water cooled! Yet it still lasts 200,000 miles now you tell me thats not a good bearing and seal design. No I am not trying to get a job with holset either. The holset is a 360 degree thrustr bearing design which really is a great design. I know how compact these cars are and im telling you it is possible to fab a twin scroll setup as i have changed headers on a 350z and trust me it wasn't that tight. As far as larger displacement affecting turbo responsiveness a Cummins is a 5.9L engine. You tell me that they use a twin scroll for a reason on that engine. The benefit is only greater from having a larger engine. The wrx engine compartment is tighter than a 350z easily and yet i have a twin scroll equal length header with modifying the oil pan or anything. I am just trying to help you guys out cause from what ive read there is no one making over 600whp on a single turbo on this v6 which is sad! Im not here to flame im here to help. Maybe you should try new things instead of relying on manufactures to do the work for you.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:12 AM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

The wrx engine compartment is tighter than a 350z easily and yet i have a twin scroll equal length header with modifying the oil pan or anything. I am just trying to help you guys out cause from what ive read there is no one making over 600whp on a single turbo on this v6 which is sad! Im not here to flame im here to help.

Please post a dyno chart and some pics of your big single turbo wrx... there are only a couple equal length headers for the wrx and they all pretty much suc ****...

As for a 600whp wrx - there are a handful of them with built motors and a whopping 4500-5000rpms spool up on a GT40 or bigger turbo and only a handful are 'street cars'...

As for your knowledge on turbos, learn the correct spelling for the turbo would be a good start G A R R E T T...

Last edited by Philthy; 12-29-2006 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:20 AM
priscilla ls1

Old 12-29-2006, 09:23 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You seem to make it seem like their turbos are an engineering marvel in comparison to everyone elses.

The other funny thing about your lack of information on our cars and our community. 600whp on a ST has been blown away and one of the highest power Z's is in fact a ST setup *cough* Injected performance *cough*
Old 12-29-2006, 09:30 AM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Originally Posted by Quamen
600whp on a ST has been blown away and one of the highest power Z's is in fact a ST setup *cough* Injected performance *cough*
*cough* Performance Motorsports still has that title and both setups were twin turbo

Quick Reply: Holsets vs Garrets