Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Utec and high hp numbers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 02:31 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
#1) Your a know it all tool...That knows nothing.
#2) I dont need any friends to help me handle business.
#3) I 100% will give you attitude if we met, trust me,Im a bigger ***** in person
#4) Tpye what you want about my shop, we have a flawless reputation, and being you have never stepped foot in my shop, your comments are simply hearsay and opinion.
#5)I would not **** on you if you were on fire..

It is you who ALWAYS starts the BS, not me. I ignore you and stay away from posting replies to you until you initiate.This crap is getting way old man, and way out of hand...Im tired of having to deal with you every time I post something YOU dont like or agree with...Your a 21 year old kid from MD whos parents have money, what makes you the expert on anything?? Your a tool, simple and clear..You wanna settle this, name it..
You wanna fight , well have a fistfight..
You wanna race, well settle it in a race..
You wanna settle it in a game of chess, whatever..
Choose your poison fool..This needt to be finished once and for all..
like it or not Berto.. he is 100% right.. especially the part about a kid with money.. maybe i am jealous becasue i pay for everything i own, but i just don't understand how you kids do it.. you just walk up to your parents and go.. mom dad... i need 10k for turbo kit.. mom dad.. my engine blew.. i need another 15k to make it faster... mom dad my transmission blew.. i need another 3k to fix it... I would love to know the secret, becasue i could never squeeze anything out of my parents and even if i could.. i couldn't see getting 1k.. please enlighten me
Old 01-16-2007, 03:17 AM
Jokestrap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
#1) Your a know it all tool...That knows nothing.
#2) I dont need any friends to help me handle business.
#3) I 100% will give you attitude if we met, trust me,Im a bigger ***** in person
#4) Tpye what you want about my shop, we have a flawless reputation, and being you have never stepped foot in my shop, your comments are simply hearsay and opinion.
#5)I would not **** on you if you were on fire..

It is you who ALWAYS starts the BS, not me. I ignore you and stay away from posting replies to you until you initiate.This crap is getting way old man, and way out of hand...Im tired of having to deal with you every time I post something YOU dont like or agree with...Your a 21 year old kid from MD whos parents have money, what makes you the expert on anything?? Your a tool, simple and clear..You wanna settle this, name it..
You wanna fight , well have a fistfight..
You wanna race, well settle it in a race..
You wanna settle it in a game of chess, whatever..
Choose your poison fool..This needt to be finished once and for all..
Dude, If I owned MRC and I read some of this stuff you are posting up, you would be fired with no questions. I really don't see how you can get away with this while representing a legit business. Your boss either doesn't know the kind of crap you are slinging, you are a very small company and you are the owner, or its all just a matter of time. I simply can not believe that you represent MRC with this kind of crap. It truly amazes me. Maybe someone should notify the owner and inform him as to the reputation you are creating for his company on these boards. I am a business owner myself and I would be very pleased if someone off of these boards clued me in on something like this. Take care... I am signing off of this thread, too personal.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:18 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

back on topic, the f-con has individual cylinder control, that is one KEY thing that it has over the utec, also the timing entered in for the utec isnt always the actual timing.

BUT

we are comparing $5000 dollar complete standalone with a piggyback computer that costs under $800 dollars at many places if you know how to ask right. thats 1/6th of the cost, they shouldnt be compared at all...

if you can afford it and want to do a full stand alone, do one, you can do a haltech, motec, electromotive, autronic, etc.

sharif is pushing the fcon for these cars and is doing a fine job, if someone wants to they should push full motec setups and tune them, you dont have to be a motec major distributor like HKS insists. the only thing stopping anyone from pushing motec in the same exact way is themselves not "doing" it yet...

come on julian and bert, you guys have clashing personalities obviously, lets just move along... glad to see you blocking alberto julian, and i would advise bert doing the same with him, i talk to both of you on a personal level and think you both are characters but really cool people, dont let some stupid F-ing forum make either of you look bad...
Old 01-16-2007, 03:52 AM
craigo'sznprgrs

Wow, this was without a doubt one of the most exciting threads ever! If I drank, I would have 2 (insert drink of choice), all over engine management at that.

I use UTEC, but if money were not as big of an issue, I would have still went with UTEC, from what I know it can handle what I need it too. I doubt my car will ever be a 800+ whp monster, but who knows, if that day comes and the software updates aren't there for the UTEC, who knows FCON may be in my future. Goodluck to Kevinapex, pick which ever ems your budget will allow, If you have a 10k budget, UTEC is your obvious choice. On the other hand, if you have a 20k budget, go with FCON. Either way you will be happy with your decision.

Craig
Old 01-16-2007, 03:53 AM
JDMFairladyZ33

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
come on julian and bert, you guys have clashing personalities obviously, lets just move along... glad to see you blocking alberto julian, and i would advise bert doing the same with him, i talk to both of you on a personal level and think you both are characters but really cool people, dont let some stupid F-ing forum make either of you look bad...

+1 as entertaining as it was (for about 3 secs) I say move on. Both of you guys seem on the level until this hissy little cat fight. Shake hands and move on. Maybe you two should meet up and get to know each other, then all of this would end up looking stupid. For the rest of us non turbo guys, we just want to read and learn without drama.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:57 AM
doug

Originally Posted by Jokestrap
Dude, If I owned MRC and I read some of this stuff you are posting up, you would be fired with no questions. I really don't see how you can get away with this while representing a legit business. Your boss either doesn't know the kind of crap you are slinging, you are a very small company and you are the owner, or its all just a matter of time. I simply can not believe that you represent MRC with this kind of crap. It truly amazes me. Maybe someone should notify the owner and inform him as to the reputation you are creating for his company on these boards. I am a business owner myself and I would be very pleased if someone off of these boards clued me in on something like this. Take care... I am signing off of this thread, too personal.
Julian owns MRC.. and like it or not he has 100% customer satisfaction... you guys can argue with him all day long about his attitude or what he says.. but the man knows that the hell he is doing when it comes to the Z... Jokestrap you made a comment you regurgitated from someone else and alberto bailed you out with his constant jabbering at Julian's throat... look at jeremy's answer.. thats pretty much the answer Julian was looking for... as best you know he could have been asking your opinion to maybe decide to see if it was worth selling the F-Con.. you relaly don't know what his intension was... but you got defensive because you really don't know what you were talking about.. just something you heard.. and alberto found another way to take a stab at julian...

Last edited by doug; 01-16-2007 at 04:00 AM.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:09 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
like it or not Berto.. he is 100% right.. especially the part about a kid with money.. maybe i am jealous becasue i pay for everything i own, but i just don't understand how you kids do it.. you just walk up to your parents and go.. mom dad... i need 10k for turbo kit.. mom dad.. my engine blew.. i need another 15k to make it faster... mom dad my transmission blew.. i need another 3k to fix it... I would love to know the secret, becasue i could never squeeze anything out of my parents and even if i could.. i couldn't see getting 1k.. please enlighten me
edit-Im not starting this up again---> Suddenly people Ive never met have me figured out

Last edited by Alberto; 01-16-2007 at 04:32 AM.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:14 AM
doug

Originally Posted by Alberto
edit-Im not starting this up again---> Suddenly people Ive never met have me figured out
enlighten us.. where do you work? what do you do for a living?
Old 01-16-2007, 05:59 AM
hr2burn

I don't want to "Steal this thread" but does anyone know anybody who is running more than 600rwhp on a utec?!
Old 01-16-2007, 06:14 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by hr2burn
I don't want to "Steal this thread" but does anyone know anybody who is running more than 600rwhp on a utec?!
I honestly dont know of anybody-Im not saying it cant be done or that the UTEC is not worthy of controlling power that high though, I have one, and Im back and forth with "justifying" the FCON. While we all know it is a better solution than a UTEC, it comes at a great price...
Old 01-16-2007, 06:18 AM
BrianLG35C

Hope this isn't too far off topic but probably MRC or another Unichip tuner would know this...How does the Unichip (classic) stand up in safety of it's tune against the UTEC for anything at/under 11psi or at/under 500whp??

I'm looking to stay with the Unichip for my first stage of my build only if it's safe enough for those numbers. Eventually in the next stage, I'll go with a better fuel system, FCON or similar for 500whp+, instead of spending $1K on the UTEC now.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:52 AM
EM-EFER

For larger injectors@11PSI you will need the Unichip Q to run properly. I know people have tried running the classic with 12+PSI and have nothing but problems. UTEC would be a much better way.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:58 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The UTEC and the FCON are completely different leagues, both in terms of functionality AND price. An FCON loaded with all the options is $3500, whereas a UTEC is $1000 loaded with all the options.

We tune and sell both. I tuned my car to 600whp (true DD number) with the UTEC, and 650whp with the FCON. Last I checked, Julians car was making about 480whp on the DD, and 520 whp'ish on the DD. Maybe this has changed recently, but I havent seen any of his new posts with Dyno Charts, so I just reinterating his last public postings.

The fact is, 9 load sites is far too course, in order to perfectly and safely tune a 15-22psi car under all conditions. The FCON is the only EMS that has a true 32X32 resolution. The difference in smoothness between the two systems is amazing. The FCON is restricted to HKS Pro Dealers, so its understandable that few shops know much about it's feature set. It's the only system I have tuned, that is 100% bug free, and delivers a perfect tune across all throttle positions and engine/boost levels.

If you are mostly drag race a vehicle, or go from 1/4 throttle to WOT, you arent going to see some of the bumps in the tune. Many times, you dont feel anything, but you can see it in the AF ratio. If you were to take your vehicle out a road coarse, and were constantly transitioning from boost to vaccum above 5500rpm (which is very common), you would likely see more of the inconsistencies in the tune. At part throttle, it is very easy to generate 12psi+ boost pressure in the mid range RPM. If you lean this area out too much, your WOT throttle tune will also be affected.

Those that have tuned the UTEC know is limitations, and tune around them. The UTEC does way to much "reading ahead", and extrapolating, which makes the tune ever more challenging with only 9 load columns to work with. With the FCON, each column represents 1/2 a PSI. On the UTEC scaled to 20psi for high boost, each load column represents more than 2 PSI.

Eaglegreen was a perfect example of the FCON vs. UTEC dicussion. We tuned his car with the UTEC, and he loved it. At moderate boost, no hickups or complaints at all. Switched to the FCON, and tuned to the same boost and power level. It was a night a day difference, according to him, and his trap speeds and 1/4 times showed an improvement as well.

At moderate boost, the UTEC tunes are pretty darn clean.

Here are some of the benifits of the FCON:
1) Closed Loop and Open Loop AF Feedback (FCON is always learning and making adjustments)
2) Knock Detection and sophisticated controls
3) 32X32 resolution for very precise engine calibration
4) Controls large low impedence injectors easily. Our FCON cars wth 1000cc injectors start just like stock...no throttle blipping or user input needed
5) VERY tight overboost fuel cut. No reading ahead.
6) Once an FCON is tuned, it never needs to be retuned.
7) Two Step Rev Limiter
8) Individual cycle trim
too many more to list.
9) Consistency and precision....100% OF THE TIME.

Both HKS and TXS have made great contributions to the VQ35 community. There is a place for both systems, and we enjoy tuning them both. But for high boost cars, the FCON provides a level of control and safety that is second to none. This is why we offer a 1 year warranty on engine build projects, that are tuned with the FCON.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:11 AM
BrianLG35C

Very thorough comparison/explanation, thanks Sharif.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:17 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can type anything you want about me, dont ever type anything about my family, as you dont know me like that, I will not warn you again.
I don't get it, I thought he said your parents have money?

is that a bad thing?
Old 01-16-2007, 07:39 AM
sentry65
the burninator

What my family has or doesnt have is of nobodys concern here. Are you to dumb to understand that? Wait-dont even get started, you believe your centrifgul S/C has less "lag" than a turbo so the answer is yes.
dude what's your problem?
Old 01-16-2007, 07:47 AM
sentry65
the burninator

i understand your stance that your family has nothing to do with the thread, but I don't think he was insulting them unless you are insulted he'd say that they have money? A normal adult wouldn't be defensive about that unless you think he was being sarcastic or something.

needless to say, whatever you say about me as an insult or anything else out of left field is uncalled for when I'm not even attacking you

and that's fine that you think lag and the amount of boost made after the lag are the same thing... Glad you brought that subject up again. It never gets old eh?

Last edited by sentry65; 01-16-2007 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:52 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Sorry Sentry, the mention of my family here (good or bad) in any context upsets me and is uncalled for, I didnt need to jump down your throat. I apologize. Im actually going to delete all the OT posts in this thread in an effort to clean it up. This one stays.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:01 AM
zoni19

this is just my 2 cents, MRC i've been going there for over a year and a half and they are some of the nicest guys you'll ever meet plus they know there $hit and i think most people who ever went there would say the same thing,i think julian is worried about his business and how he treats people because anybody i've ever talked to about him thinks he is a good guy it must be these forums.anyway that was my 2 cents
Old 01-16-2007, 08:11 AM
sentry65
the burninator

no prob alberto, i understand. Sorry if you thought I meant any harm - didn't really, just didn't get why his comment fired you up so much

Quick Reply: Utec and high hp numbers.