Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Kinetix SSV on a turbo set up

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 07:13 PM
ZKYLINE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kinetix SSV on a turbo set up

Ok we have all heard how much of a waste of money it is to get the SSV plenum for a N/A set up. BUT here is the trick question, how about for an FI aplication?. Numbers show that an SSV combined with a VORTECH supercharger makes an extra 55 horses. Then what will it do with a twin turbo set up?
Have anybody had any experience with this yet or did dino pulls with and without.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:22 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who said the SSv made 55 extra whp on a Vortech ? It made ziltch , they had the car tuned after the install . That means the car could have been tune with out the SSV and make 60whp...who knows .
Old 01-26-2007, 07:59 PM
THE TECH

OP needs to die for saying such a blasphemous statement.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:04 PM
widebody350

not one to judge someone by their post count or flame for not searching but people have gone over this many times and the general concesus(sp?) is that the SSV looks nice but doesn't perform well. There was a thread a while ago about someone having boost issues with their SSV and a Vortech, and some other people have reported problems when using the SSV with F/I. Save yourself the money an just go with a spacer and test pipes which will leave you some money left over.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:08 AM
bldrz

We tested the crawford plenum and then switched to the ssv. We had moderate gains with the ssv over the crawford. Sorry I dont have the dyno sheets in front of me our I would qoute our exact gains. I believe the ssv is a decent alternative to the other plenums on the market if you are running FI. This plenum will also allow you to run a direct port nitrous set-up if you wanted to down the road. I think kinetix got a bad rap early on and has never been given a chance. Just my opinion. Jason
Old 01-27-2007, 10:11 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the SSV is a POS like many people act like. I don't think it's worth the money, but it works ok.

Which crawford plenum did you benchmark bldrz? I had one of the welded earlier crawford plenums before I switched to the SSV when I was NA and it felt roughly the same if not slightly stronger, but my butt dyno isn't that accurate when dealing with +/- 3-5 whp
Old 01-27-2007, 10:47 AM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by sentry65
I don't think the SSV is a POS like many people act like. I don't think it's worth the money, but it works ok.
Now do you say this cause you have one on your car or do you really believe that it works?
Old 01-27-2007, 10:51 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe it gets air into the engine and that's what it needs to do, so yeah it "works"

My shop has dynoed many of them and the conclusion has been it's equal to the stock plenum with the exception that it has a 1-2hp gain at the very top around 6200-6500 rpms

It's not like I think the SSV is the greatest thing ever, it's plainly not. I bought mine during the group buy when it wasn't really tested yet and things like spacers weren't out on the market yet. But yeah I have one and use a thermal gasket with it and manage to get some decent power out of my setup (wait 2 weeks for updated numbers)
I plan to someday get rid of it though for the cosworth one if it ever comes out

otherwise I don't have a stock upper plenum (was core exchanged to crawford back in the day) and my lower one is broken. So to get a motordyne spacer setup would cost me around $600-850 for what would ultimately equate to 5-10tq when the cosworth plenum will probably be better (15-18tq over stock estimates I think was what I last heard) and cost around $1000. I'd seriously hand the money over right now if it was out

...Then there's the hassle of relocating my HKS ignition amp and fuel pressure gauge which currently are mounted between my fuel rails which the SSV is the only IM that will let you do that, but I'm going to have to do that either way someday

Last edited by sentry65; 01-27-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:23 AM
priscilla ls1

Look I have this plenum and I think it looks nice and is better then stock. I am not getting much hp out off my current set up but the SSV is not to blame it is me and my injectors but in the next few weeks I will be getting my 650cc installed and a retune at SGP so I will be taking this plenum to a higher limit. If I feel it does not flow good at a higher boost I will just switch to somthing that will and trust my own personal opinion.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:49 AM
bldrz

sentry65, we had the same crawford plenum as you (early release model). When I get back to work next week I will try to dig up the dyno comparisons to post on this thread.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:57 PM
THE TECH

I can't wait for the Cosworth!!