Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Professional analysis and pictures of our 6MT internals

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 04:21 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by accordfreak
is the revision number stamped on the transmission? if so, where?

It's on a sticker on the side of the trans...passenger side IIRC.

UPDATE: I should have my trans back very soon and my car will be going back together in a couple weeks.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Melkeveli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got to love warranty's

I beat the **** out of my car since i use it as a daily driver .....its a lease.... I have not even 7 thousand miles on it and i already got my motor and tranny replaced...."who cares its a lease" loll I mash on that every time i drive it and to top it off it has a custom cold air intake system that sucks a lot of dirt and cold air from the front since it does not even have a filter ...... moral of the story you mash it every you drive it? you get to replace your tranny simple as that.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:29 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by Melkeveli
I beat the **** out of my car since i use it as a daily driver .....its a lease.... I have not even 7 thousand miles on it and i already got my motor and tranny replaced...."who cares its a lease" loll I mash on that every time i drive it and to top it off it has a custom cold air intake system that sucks a lot of dirt and cold air from the front since it does not even have a filter ...... moral of the story you mash it every you drive it? you get to replace your tranny simple as that.

What was the point of this post in this thread?
Old 06-01-2007, 10:07 PM
GreatWhiteZ

You mash, you trash! Same thing...moving on...

Our trannies are built very good imho... obviously you have to consider the driver is just as much of a problem as are very high output engines tearing down synchros and gear teeth etc. Coincidentally I posted a thread in the general topics area... regarding our trannies... and was told that 99% of FI guys doing anywhere from 350-600WHP and maybe over and are still using a stock tranny. Very reasonable solution; plan on saving money for a replacement tranny if you plan on pushing it hard. (duh) Someone here is on their third tranny...

---> The 2006 6MT has a 008 or 009?

Awesome pics, very useful thread indeed, most of my questions have been answered!
Old 06-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Nealoc187

Did some work on this trans tonight. Was hoping to get it all back together (now that the 3-4 weeks for outsourced shot peening turned into 3-4 months) but ran into a snag. I'd ordered a new 5th input gear and new main shaft and discovered tonight that the new 5th input gear (I'm assuming the new one is a CD009) uses a different synchro than the CD008 does (the taper of the synchro cone is different - so now I've got to order a new 5th gear synchronizer for him. Also discovered that the CD009 5th input gear(again, assuming that is the revision I got since the parts guy said that there is no other version of this part available any more) has the engagement tooth disk beam welded to the gear rather than brazed on which would ultimately make that portion of the gear stronger, not that I've heard of anyone having problems with shearing off the 5th gear engagement teeth of course.

Last edited by Nealoc187; 06-13-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Transverse

Does anyone know if they made a revision for the 07 Z or are they using the 009 revision?

Great thread btw!

-T
Old 06-15-2007, 01:36 AM
ARMSTRONGARMS

would cyro freezing any of the internal parts be worth it?
Old 06-15-2007, 04:52 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by idwin
would cyro freezing any of the internal parts be worth it?
It could if the alloys used in the trans are cryo "friendly". With some alloys cryo treating actually makes them weaker. To find out you'd have to have the gears analyzed and that's probably more work then it's worth.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:42 AM
CodeRed30

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
It could if the alloys used in the trans are cryo "friendly". With some alloys cryo treating actually makes them weaker. To find out you'd have to have the gears analyzed and that's probably more work then it's worth.
Would analyzing one tranny be enough info to judge all of the Z trannies or would analyzing the synchro just be dependent on the individual car?
Old 06-16-2007, 01:35 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by CodeRed30
Would analyzing one tranny be enough info to judge all of the Z trannies or would analyzing the synchro just be dependent on the individual car?

One would be enough. they are all made of the same metal.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:52 PM
CodeRed30

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
One would be enough. they are all made of the same metal.
So then wouldn't the information be worth the research?
Old 06-17-2007, 06:56 PM
Nealoc187

So then wouldn't the information be worth the research?

are you volunteering to pay to have a burn off done? it's not cheap to have the analysis done and you'd also have to provide the gears to be analyzed. brian didn't make it clear but what he meant was that the gear materials are the same from transmission to transmission - but each gear in the transmission is likely made of slightly (or maybe even not so slightly) different alloys, all of which would need to be analyzed. you're talking about a couple thousand dollars worth of research here to analyze every gear in the transmission, a few hundred at least to analyze just a single gear. if so let me know because I can get the analysis done.

Last edited by Nealoc187; 06-17-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:12 AM
CodeRed30

I didn't realize it was that expensive. What kind of analysis needs to be done?
Old 06-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Alex3000GT

The actual transmissions out of the first gen VR4s (5 speed getrag) and second gen VR4s (6 speed getrag) are very stout. What you guys may have heard about weakness comes from the fact that the first gen transfercase housings were made out of ALUMINUM! They fixed this problem with the second gens and made them out of STEEL.

Sorry to beat a 4 month old dead horse.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:31 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by Alex3000GT
The actual transmissions out of the first gen VR4s (5 speed getrag) and second gen VR4s (6 speed getrag) are very stout. What you guys may have heard about weakness comes from the fact that the first gen transfercase housings were made out of ALUMINUM! They fixed this problem with the second gens and made them out of STEEL.

Sorry to beat a 4 month old dead horse.
yes myself and a few others already set that straight...
Old 06-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Nealoc187

I didn't realize it was that expensive. What kind of analysis needs to be done?

I actually talked to my boss and he said that if someone were to provide the gears for analysis, we (the shop) would take care of the cost of the analysis. They have to scratch a little bit of the steel off the surface of the gear and then vaporize it and use gas chromatography to analyze what elements are present in what proportions in the alloy.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:41 AM
CodeRed30

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
I actually talked to my boss and he said that if someone were to provide the gears for analysis, we (the shop) would take care of the cost of the analysis. They have to scratch a little bit of the steel off the surface of the gear and then vaporize it and use gas chromatography to analyze what elements are present in what proportions in the alloy.
Man if I was stateside, I'd gladly submit my gears for the research. I won't be back until January though.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:04 PM
thawk408

Any updates?
Old 01-15-2008, 02:28 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by thawk408
Any updates?
I'm pulling my trans back out tomorrow and we're going to put in a new third gear that will no longer have the engagement gear braised on.

I didn't break third, but were doing this as a preventative measure. I'm going to beat on the car all next year in the mid 500s whp wise and make sure it doesn't have any issues. After that we may be offering stronger third gears.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:13 PM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write up, has alot of great depth and sightful information

Also how much power has the Getrag proven to handle?

Quick Reply: Professional analysis and pictures of our 6MT internals