Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

White smoke out the exhaust under decel???*Video inside*

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 08:33 PM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 35ounces
Anyone know if Jets car had a turbo blanket? I vaguely recall some discussion about one way back when. Just curious.
I believe it did.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:35 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by 35ounces
I dont think the Greddy kit comparisons are very good though. That kit is a tuner kit and people that buy it know it.
Really? Did anyone tell Greddy that?
Originally Posted by www.greddy.com
Bolt-on Turbo Kits

Leading the way in bolt-on turbo kits for normally-aspirated engines, GReddy turbo kits provide instant horsepower gains with less time and money while still having the potential for upgrading for even more power. Designed with turbochargers at the beginning end of their efficiency range, gives the buyer the option to increase power levels substantially, before having to ever upgrade the kit’s turbo. Unlike most turbo kits on the market today, our turbo kits are specifically designed for optimal response and performance while maintaining drivability, comfort and reliability. Since they are based on completely stock engines, these kits come with all the necessary basics, manifold, turbocharger, downpipe adapter, piping, hardware and heat-shields, in most kits, they even include pre-tuned fuel enrichment. A few of the kits are covered under CARB E.O. numbers, which make them 50-state street legal. If competition use is your goal, there are many GReddy upgrades (intercoolers, blow-off valves, fuel management and boost controllers) to boost the power output even further.
http://greddy.com/products/display/?...SubCategory=15
Old 06-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Abishop

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this looks almost identical to whats happening on my APS TT kit. Bad turbo seals?
Old 06-04-2007, 08:39 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Abishop
this looks almost identical to whats happening on my APS TT kit. Bad turbo seals?
In some cases its a bad seal yes. The cause of the bad seal has been debated as well ad naseum.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Abishop

what were some other causes? Did the turbo need oil reducers? return line pumps?
Old 06-04-2007, 08:45 PM
MIAPLAYA

what were some other causes? Did the turbo need oil reducers? return line pumps?
No restrictors. I would really prefer not to regurgitate all the debates on potential root cause. Searching should absolutely return what you are looking for.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Abishop

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
No restrictors. I would really prefer not to regurgitate all the debates on potential root cause. Searching should absolutely return what you are looking for.
Well im just simply asking what were some of the types of fixes, no need to go into detail.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:47 PM
MIAPLAYA

Well im just simply asking what were some of the types of fixes, no need to go into detail.
Correcting return line routing, installing a catch can, replacing PCV valves, tapping the oil return to the correct location.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Abishop

Correcting return line routing, installing a catch can, replacing PCV valves, tapping the oil return to the correct location.
Thanks! I appreciate it!
Old 06-04-2007, 08:59 PM
greddyturb0

not trying to say anythign bad about anyone but can you count the amount of people having trouble like this with a greddy kit and APS kit and comapre it to the amount of people having trouble with the TN kit. I am not saying that TN or any of these vendors should just not sell them anymore but the mere fact that if your product is prone to causing such problems you should atleast put them on a hold until you get all the kinks fixed out rather than going thru the process of selling the kit and than replacing the turbo every now and than.

I am sorry but when you have to swap out a turbo and get it replaced it better work the second time around because going FI is a money pit and having a product that will cause problems like these are not helping it. Its the reliabilty of a turbo kit that is more important to some people more than others, because thats one thing that you lose when going down the FI path.

As far as greddy turbo kit goes correct me if i am wrong but does it not come with a Intercooler? and only a piggy back engine management? now with all that said anyone looking for a bigger hp number would be more inclined to go with a Stand alone rather than a piggy back. my point is greddy kit is not not as complete and is aimed for people with a smaller built that want decent amount of power. As we all know that nothing is perfect so you are bound to mess up something sometime. You cannot seriously say theres a vendor out there that has been in the business for a long time and not once had a bad product.

It is just not possible, but with the TN kit there are alot more people with this issue. Lets say that tomorrow(i hope not) you encounter the same problem MIAPLAYA and TN is more than willing to sed you a replacement turbo, would it not affect your plans? Just because it hasnt happened to you doesnt mean its not true what other people are saying.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:05 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by greddyturb0
not trying to say anythign bad about anyone but can you count the amount of people having trouble like this with a greddy kit and APS kit and comapre it to the amount of people having trouble with the TN kit. I am not saying that TN or any of these vendors should just not sell them anymore but the mere fact that if your product is prone to causing such problems you should atleast put them on a hold until you get all the kinks fixed out rather than going thru the process of selling the kit and than replacing the turbo every now and than.

I am sorry but when you have to swap out a turbo and get it replaced it better work the second time around because going FI is a money pit and having a product that will cause problems like these are not helping it. Its the reliabilty of a turbo kit that is more important to some people more than others, because thats one thing that you lose when going down the FI path.

As far as greddy turbo kit goes correct me if i am wrong but does it not come with a Intercooler? and only a piggy back engine management? now with all that said anyone looking for a bigger hp number would be more inclined to go with a Stand alone rather than a piggy back. my point is greddy kit is not not as complete and is aimed for people with a smaller built that want decent amount of power. As we all know that nothing is perfect so you are bound to mess up something sometime. You cannot seriously say theres a vendor out there that has been in the business for a long time and not once had a bad product.

It is just not possible, but with the TN kit there are alot more people with this issue. Lets say that tomorrow(i hope not) you encounter the same problem MIAPLAYA and TN is more than willing to sed you a replacement turbo, would it not affect your plans? Just because it hasnt happened to you doesnt mean its not true what other people are saying.
Look bottom line I don't have the time or desire to debate this with you. It has been discussed more times then I can count here. All kits have their issues. Some companies address them. Some don't. If you think theres nothing wrong with the Greddy kit even with the intercooler you've got a lot more research to do. Turbonetics is clearly doing something to address this. Get back to me when Greddy stops burning up coil packs with their engine management units, APS sends their customer free replacement y pipes for their ST exhaust, ATI starts sending some engine management with timing control, Vortech sends out corrected pulley systems, and everyone else starts fixing their problems. Until then there's not much to say except that each kit has its quirks. And as an FYI many many more people have hadd issues with the Greddy kit then any other kit out there. Its a by product of number of kits produced, sold, and installed.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:07 PM
taurran

You're wrong. Apparently you haven't spent enough time in this community to know the history of all the kits on the market, what is included in them, what is required for a basic setup or what the performance goals of each is.

I agree with some of your points, but I think you should do more research and see what has already been discussed in this and other threads on the subject before rehashing all of this.

The number of people with these issues is, in fact, small to the total market. If turbonetics did not deal with it in the manner they have, people would either learn to deal with it or go some other route. However, over time people find the quirks of each kit and learn to work with them, such as when people learned that the greddy emanage blue was a pos. People instead chose to provide their own ems with the kit.

If people in this case that are just getting into the FI world can't handle buying a oil return line and tapping it into the upper pan, then I don't know what they expect.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:08 PM
taurran

Anyway, I've beat the dead horse enough tonight....
Old 06-04-2007, 09:28 PM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well Reggie and the crew up there are a stand up bunch. I'm just happy to say Reggie is going to come through again for the Turbonetics owners. Like I said I don't want to speak for him on the details of what can be done so everyone still needs to PM him.

Awesome! I will PM reggie and let him know wassup with my kit. Good work! I hope this all works out.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:54 PM
greddyturb0

lol well yea im still learning and doing more research but what MIAPLAYA is saying is that its a small problem, how can you compared a new TURBO to a Engine Management system. Everyone in the world knows that the Emanage sucks. youc ant expect much from a piggy back i personalyl would never even thing of running a piggy back when going FI. not trying to bash on anyone here.

Originally Posted by taurran
If people in this case that are just getting into the FI world can't handle buying a oil return line and tapping it into the upper pan, then I don't know what they expect.
See i wouldnt be on this issue but what your saying to me is that it is no big deal but it is, it wouldnt be a big deal if you knew what was causing this but you dont. Thats my point you dont know what is the actual problem thats causing this and when you compare that to the toher kits atleast they have figured out a method into avoiding this.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:13 PM
MIAPLAYA

lol well yea im still learning and doing more research but what MIAPLAYA is saying is that its a small problem, how can you compared a new TURBO to a Engine Management system. Everyone in the world knows that the Emanage sucks. youc ant expect much from a piggy back i personalyl would never even thing of running a piggy back when going FI. not trying to bash on anyone here.

See i wouldnt be on this issue but what your saying to me is that it is no big deal but it is, it wouldnt be a big deal if you knew what was causing this but you dont. Thats my point you dont know what is the actual problem thats causing this and when you compare that to the toher kits atleast they have figured out a method into avoiding this.
You should probably read the current threads before posting. Turbonetics assessment is that street cars are more prone to seal failure due to the style of driving that is done. Additionally newer cars like the Z require more and more rich conditions then in the past causing increased EGTs and in the end higher ambient temps in the turbine and bearing section even when not under boost. This in and of itself is the most likely and as far as Turbonetics is concerned cause of the failed turbine seals. Oh and since you haven't caught up perhaps you also don't know that Turbonetics is taking care of all their customers with failed units free of charge and rebuilding the unit with a wet bearing section. Go ahead an keep us posted on when Greddy starts sending customers coil pack replacements.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:25 PM
greddyturb0

wow man you are really taking this personally, i am just a greddy fan and was once a TN fan but what you dont understand is even if they will give you a new frigin kit it wouldnt compensate for the extra labor your paying thru your nose for. do you honestly think that everyone has got the extra 2 gz for labor to go back and forth for, as far as the driving conditions, you are not telling me that people drive alot harder ont eh streets than on the track cuz if thats the point your making you honestly dont know what you are talking about.

Additionally newer cars like the Z require more and more rich conditions then in the past causing increased EGTs and in the end higher ambient temps in the turbine and bearing section even when not under boost.
correct me if am wrong but isnt that one of the main reasons why no body wants to buy those cheap chinese knock offs that sell on ebay due to their poor performance and crappy seals that fall apart in no time.

anyways you can say what you want because i dont see a point in arguing with you because you dont see it from the perspective of the customers facing the issue rather than you look at it thru a satisfied customer which is not a bad thing but dont disregard the problem entirely just because it hasnt happened to you. Good luck with your setup and happy boosting.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:36 PM
MIAPLAYA

Yup disregarding customer issues. Thats clearly what I do. Apparentely you need to do a LOT more research. Ask anyone who self installed their kit who answered their PMs with questions and got feed back to Turbonetics to try and assist them with any issues. I'm not taking this personal I'm just tired of reading your posts when you have done right next to no research on any kit it appears. Come on you just told us the Greddy kit was perfectly safe out of box?! You have a lot more reading to do. And in regards to the way turbos are run at the track as compared to the street again you have zero idea what you're talking about. A person on the track does not typically hot lap for 2 plus hours without pitting to cool the car down. However in Socal especially its not un heard for someone to have their car in rush hour traffic with engine and exhaust temps sky high with no air flow into the bay for up to 3 hours. Now you tell me whats more likely to cause thermal failure? Using a turbocharger on the track for 30 minute sessions with cool downs or baking in 100 degree plus ambient temps while stuck in traffic with no air flow? If its not obvious yet then please. Stop posting and start reading.

Last edited by MIAPLAYA; 06-05-2007 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:48 PM
taurran

For someone that joined in May 2007 you sure are opinionated about a long standing topic of debate.

Take a look at some of the other threads right now and you'll see why this issue hasn't been resolved earlier. Some facts didn't stand up while other people had legitimate issues. It's been a long time coming in digging throught the BS and being able to help those with real problems.

Turbonetics hasn't been ignoring the issue, they've been working on the water-cooled resolution for a great while now. Swapping out the bearing housings on dozens or hundreds of turbo isn't something you plan overnight.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:40 PM
Havok_RLS2

MIA... Why are you wasting your time arguing with an idiot? He clearly has no real world knowledge about the sudject.

You're not a Special Ed teacher are you?

Last edited by Havok_RLS2; 06-06-2007 at 01:05 PM.

Quick Reply: White smoke out the exhaust under decel???*Video inside*