Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

White smoke out the exhaust under decel???*Video inside*

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 06:41 PM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by solidsnake
*UPDATE*

So far so good. Im driving it around town and I havent noticed anymore clouds of smoke. But of course its hard to tell unless someone is behind me or outside looking. The catch can is catching a descent amount of oil so thats a good sign. Im going to drive it around for a weak or so then take it back to dyno and see wassup. The rebuild warranty is for 90 days so I got time if we decide to send the turbo back to turbonetics for further inspection.
So it was just the remaining oil in the piping since the new turbo was swapped in ?
Old 05-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran
So it was just the remaining oil in the piping since the new turbo was swapped in ?
If I can interject---Nothing is "For Sure " yet, a couple weeks of clear weather and driving, boost and non boost will tell more.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:47 PM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eazzzzzzy
If I can interject---Nothing is "For Sure " yet, a couple weeks of clear weather and driving, boost and non boost will tell more.

yeah, what he said ^^^^ Mr. Mechanic(the guy that works on cars) . Im just the driver

Last edited by solidsnake; 05-01-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:05 PM
zzerotwosixty

Congrats. Looks like you got it fixed.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:55 AM
Eazzy

As the one that is doing the work on this car, I repeat, nothing is for sure yet. It will take a couple of weeks of driving before we know for a fact the the problem has been solved or not. If it appears it has, then additional CC evacuation proceedures will be done. Also, Compression and Leakdown tests have yet to be done.

Last edited by Eazzy; 05-02-2007 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:59 AM
MIAPLAYA

As the one that is doing the work on this car, I repeat, nothing is for sure yet. It will take a couple of weeks of driving before we know for a fact the the problem has been solved or not. If it appears it has, then additional CC evacuation proceedtures will be done. Also, Compression and Leakdown tests have yet to be done.
Glad to see it looking good so far. Sorry I didn't get a chance to reach you this weekend. Things have been hectic around here getting the truck I was working on ready for some upcoming events. So I take it a catch can has been helping with the issue? Just curious of the PCV has been changed out yet. I seem to always forget that newer cars still need this and actually just had to swap the one out in my Titan as it was about toast.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:14 AM
Eazzy

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Glad to see it looking good so far. Sorry I didn't get a chance to reach you this weekend. Things have been hectic around here getting the truck I was working on ready for some upcoming events. So I take it a catch can has been helping with the issue? Just curious of the PCV has been changed out yet. I seem to always forget that newer cars still need this and actually just had to swap the one out in my Titan as it was about toast.
No worrys on this weekend, figured you were tied up. I will touch base this week, we are not counting our chickens till they're hatched. Had a couple ideas on evacuation Mods I wanted to discuss mainly, above and beyond the norm. Things are really just roughed in right now. No sense in dumping money in dead ends, but all is funtional and if works, can be improved upon on the final clean up.

Its not over til the fat lady sings
Old 05-04-2007, 08:24 PM
redline350ZZ

Pictures of meh Turbo oil leaking out the back side bra. Focus aint the greatest I can try better pic's if needed.
Attached Thumbnails White smoke out the exhaust under decel???*Video inside*-picture001.jpg   White smoke out the exhaust under decel???*Video inside*-picture-002.jpg   White smoke out the exhaust under decel???*Video inside*-picture-003.jpg   White smoke out the exhaust under decel???*Video inside*-picture-004.jpg  
Old 05-06-2007, 05:46 PM
solidsnake

Originally Posted by redline350ZZ
Pictures of meh Turbo oil leaking out the back side bra. Focus aint the greatest I can try better pic's if needed.

Looks familiar
Old 05-21-2007, 12:01 PM
redline350ZZ

Any updates??
Old 05-21-2007, 04:27 PM
solidsnake

Originally Posted by redline350ZZ
Any updates??
Ask eazzzzzzy. He has my car held hostage

The only current news I have is that the spark plugs were pulled and look great and he did a leakdown and compression check. Here is what he posted https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/273182-leak-down-test-question.html

Last edited by solidsnake; 05-21-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Eazzy

Originally Posted by solidsnake
Ask eazzzzzzy. He has my car held hostage

The only current news I have is that the spark plugs were pulled and look great and he did a leakdown and compression check. Here is what he posted https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273182
Actually, not doing LD till wed. But the hostage is in good hands ---wont be neccessary to send a cut off rear view mirror in the mail
Old 05-21-2007, 09:38 PM
solidsnake

Actually, not doing LD till wed. But the hostage is in good hands ---wont be neccessary to send a cut off rear view mirror in the mail

Old 05-21-2007, 11:24 PM
solidsnake

Add another one to the list

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/272885-tt-white-smoke-under-boost.html
Old 05-21-2007, 11:52 PM
Lo$t

i had the same white smoke. I fixed mine by replacing my oil drain line from the turbo with a Stainless one and using a 90 in the middle of it to prevent kinking, and lead the line to the block.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:17 AM
Eazzy

On Solidsnakes, I installed a 45 comeing out of the block (dump line) and used Aeroquip Blue 5/8 in place of the supplied line---Very smooth transition

There were several mods done after reinstall that are 100% functional yet not dialed in. Main concern was to see the outcome of the overall before spending $$$$ on the final cosmetic details.

Last edited by Eazzy; 05-22-2007 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:18 PM
Havok_RLS2

On Solidsnakes, I installed a 45 comeing out of the block (dump line) and used Aeroquip Blue 5/8 in place of the supplied line---Very smooth transition

There were several mods done after reinstall that are 100% functional yet not dialed in. Main concern was to see the outcome of the overall before spending $$$$ on the final cosmetic details.
Nice! Any new updates?
Old 05-31-2007, 06:33 PM
solidsnake

Originally Posted by Havok_RLS2
Nice! Any new updates?

Not yet. Still taking it one step at a time.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:29 PM
greddyturb0

well im a bit late but how much oil are you catching in teh catch can? you might be dumping too much oil in the turbo how is the turbo spool? and how did you get the oil in the intercooler and pipes? you might want ot check your exhaust for oil as well.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Onderground

To tell you my small story, I have the same problem.

Since Oct 06, the car is smoking at every shift under boost.. it never smoke at idle or just crusing.

Now the oil is spilling from the BOV, it is also full of oil in the pipe and at the bottom in the intercooler..

I am using the best best TOP #1 mecanics in eastern Canada, he knows VQ35 like his pocket.. I trust him when he say something.

Right now we purchased 7k of parts to rebuilt the engine, rings were deads and we wanted to forged internals with parts from Sharif ( big thanks to Forged Performance by the way ). First we tought that only the ring were making that oil burning .. see the pic

But we did out brake in for the new forged engine saturday, and at the first press of boost, the white smoke came back.. Now we realized it the turbo.. It look the back pressure that goes on the flap on the turbo when the pressure is rising in the downpipe is making the oil to comes out.. Cant understand the internal problems but I know it's because of the turbo.

We dont use any pan spacer, the return oil line is perfect and no kink. We have a real greddy catch can.. there is oil leaking inside the pipe, in the BOV, everywhere... There is no other thing that could make smokes like that..

I will make a video tomorow and show people on the street what it look likes, maybe with that, TN will give the approval for a mass return under warranty or not. Its not a warranty issue but a defective product and this can be claimed at any time under US and Canadian Laws as soon as they admit the problems. Im not bashing TN, they had given support when needed, shipping a AC hoses in 1 day express, Thank you Reggie.

But right now we have forged internals ( arias, eagle rods, etc ), we got 650cc, a CJ return fuel system, we have ordered the GTK-550 and I seriously hope that thoses turbo wont have that problem, otherwize I will personally take the plane for canada and put the turbo on the boss's desk with a liter of oil inside and make a mess in the office.

But right now im calm, I simply boost and lift the pedal smoothly and this way smokes doenst comes.. its VERY annoying and no way to have fun at all without appearing to be a stupid guy that runs a ruined cars and polute the air.

I will post the video tomorow night, in the meantime, I will go to the army supply shop and buy a gaz mask.

Quick Reply: White smoke out the exhaust under decel???*Video inside*