Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

White smoke out the exhaust under decel???*Video inside*

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:16 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Check all PCV lines. When I returned to MD from Forged under decel I had giant blinding traffic smoke, I was like WTF? Upon further inspection one of my PVC lines, from Catch can to drivers side valve cover was pinched and was causing this. Upon disconnecting (temporary) and later replacing the line I had no issues. A buddy's VW 1.8T also had this issue. We replaced the turbo thinking it was the seals, come to find out it was a pinched PCV hose. Check them all. From passenger side valve cover to hard line on bottom plenum or to catch can if you have one and back into the motor.
Bingo - I was gonna mention this, I had the exact same thing happen when letting off after a WOT run, puff'd white smoke, turns out my damn line to my catch can was collapsing under vacuum. (****ty hoses from the Greddy catch can kit). replaced with racing hoses that dont collapse and problem solved
Old 06-08-2007, 09:57 AM
PunKidd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had to swap out more of these turbos than I'd like to count, but I will say the TN is doing a lot more to support their customers than most companies would by replacing 10s of thousands of dollars in turbos (even out of warranty turbos at times). It has still cost my customers a lot of $$ in labor, but at least it's not labor + 1.2K+ in turbo bearings and seals.

My only gripe at this point is that the kit didn't include the water cooled bearing from the get go, but I guess you live and learn. I am interested to see how the water cooled bearing is going to hold up when we get the next one back in a week or two.