Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

White smoke out the exhaust under decel???*Video inside*

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 06:47 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be prepared for Taurran to tell you that that is absolutley not happening and that your mechanic installed everything wrong! Ohhhhh... Turbonetics will tell you that the oil seals in the turbo are not the problem either! I feel for you brotha, but at the same time not understanding you putting more money in their pocket when you could have gone with Garrett. BTW your downpipe is only 2.5" and you will never make power with that.

JET
Old 06-03-2007, 07:20 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Be prepared for Taurran to tell you that that is absolutley not happening and that your mechanic installed everything wrong! Ohhhhh... Turbonetics will tell you that the oil seals in the turbo are not the problem either! I feel for you brotha, but at the same time not understanding you putting more money in their pocket when you could have gone with Garrett. BTW your downpipe is only 2.5" and you will never make power with that.

JET
I thought I read Miaplaya say it was 3", back when APS was on here talking about their 3.5" downpipe. Are you sure it's only 2.5"?
Old 06-03-2007, 08:27 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Positive... I measured it when we had the discussion. Nobody believed me so I had to post pics of me holding up the stupid ruler and measuring it.

JET
Old 06-03-2007, 09:23 PM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Onderground
To tell you my small story, I have the same problem.

Since Oct 06, the car is smoking at every shift under boost.. it never smoke at idle or just crusing.

Now the oil is spilling from the BOV, it is also full of oil in the pipe and at the bottom in the intercooler..

I am using the best best TOP #1 mecanics in eastern Canada, he knows VQ35 like his pocket.. I trust him when he say something.

Right now we purchased 7k of parts to rebuilt the engine, rings were deads and we wanted to forged internals with parts from Sharif ( big thanks to Forged Performance by the way ). First we tought that only the ring were making that oil burning .. see the pic

But we did out brake in for the new forged engine saturday, and at the first press of boost, the white smoke came back.. Now we realized it the turbo.. It look the back pressure that goes on the flap on the turbo when the pressure is rising in the downpipe is making the oil to comes out.. Cant understand the internal problems but I know it's because of the turbo.

We dont use any pan spacer, the return oil line is perfect and no kink. We have a real greddy catch can.. there is oil leaking inside the pipe, in the BOV, everywhere... There is no other thing that could make smokes like that..

I will make a video tomorow and show people on the street what it look likes, maybe with that, TN will give the approval for a mass return under warranty or not. Its not a warranty issue but a defective product and this can be claimed at any time under US and Canadian Laws as soon as they admit the problems. Im not bashing TN, they had given support when needed, shipping a AC hoses in 1 day express, Thank you Reggie.

But right now we have forged internals ( arias, eagle rods, etc ), we got 650cc, a CJ return fuel system, we have ordered the GTK-550 and I seriously hope that thoses turbo wont have that problem, otherwize I will personally take the plane for canada and put the turbo on the boss's desk with a liter of oil inside and make a mess in the office.

But right now im calm, I simply boost and lift the pedal smoothly and this way smokes doenst comes.. its VERY annoying and no way to have fun at all without appearing to be a stupid guy that runs a ruined cars and polute the air.

I will post the video tomorow night, in the meantime, I will go to the army supply shop and buy a gaz mask.

People keep tellng me to ignore this problem and leave it alone till we find out what it is. I agree, but when I see reponses like this from a guy that lives on the other side of the world it assures me that there is a problem and its not just me. I felt better when he said he had oil coming out the BOV and inside the IC. That is exactly what is wrong with my car. Im glad you brought up your problem and considering you have a built motor and still having the same problem then that proves it is nothing to do with kinks in the line or replacing oil returns, blah fcking blah. I look forward to hearing how you handle this problem and hope it gets resolved. Goodluck!

PS. Here is the video I posted on page 1. You can clearly see the need for a gas mask.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/8...1b01239e8b.htm

Last edited by solidsnake; 06-03-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:26 PM
greddyturb0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well from the sound of it you have a oil leak which is getting inside all your pipes and quiet possibly into eexhaust system. is there a hesitation in the turbo spool? or can you hear any weird noises as comapred to driving other boosted cars? too much oil is getting into the turbo and leaking off into tht pipes?
Old 06-03-2007, 09:33 PM
solidsnake

Originally Posted by greddyturb0
well from the sound of it you have a oil leak which is getting inside all your pipes and quiet possibly into eexhaust system. is there a hesitation in the turbo spool? or can you hear any weird noises as comapred to driving other boosted cars? too much oil is getting into the turbo and leaking off into tht pipes?

There is no problem boosting. It would run consistantly at 7psi. (I put a smaller spring on to prevent spike) Anyway, the problem im having is that the turbo I had int he beginning had problems which TN addressed and it costs me a couple hundred to rebuild since I was out of warranty. I get the turbo back freshly rebuilt. Put the turbo back on and clean out all excess oil in the piping. Take the car directly to get retuned due to the smaller spring and lower boost. The same problem occurs.

Another friend of mine has the same kit. He had the smoking issues, tookt he turbo off and sent it in. Got it back and the problem seemed to go away. Almost 200 miles later he take the car back to get retuned and suprise suprise, the smoke was back just as bad as before. And he has less miles then myself so I doubt its an engine or internal problem. HMMMM!!!
Old 06-03-2007, 10:02 PM
redline350ZZ

I wonder how many people have called TN about this issue? Wouldn't surprise me if it's about 10%
Old 06-04-2007, 04:10 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by JETPILOT

JET
I agree it's not install issues in every case, but in some (including yours) it was. I'm sure that a few of these occurances could have been avoided if the oil return line wasn't kinked. We've seen people fix it just by changing that out so far. I agree that something should be done about the problem as a whole, but I don't work for Turbonetics so I can't personally help out.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:16 AM
MIAPLAYA

Is anyone checking the PCV valve on their cars? Also were is the oil return located in all these cases?
Old 06-04-2007, 08:08 AM
taurran

After hearing more and more it seems pretty random in respect to where the oil is returned (upper pan vs spacer). At this point I think that some of the cases are simply kinks or slight bends in the return line, PCV valves that need to be changed, or just bad turbos.

I think if a water cooled turbo and SS braided return line were part of the kit the number of bad or smoking turbos would be greatly reduced.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:23 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Is anyone checking the PCV valve on their cars? Also were is the oil return located in all these cases?
I personally think a better question would be who is running the included rubber line or a nylon line, and who is running a SS line.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:12 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

stock line from the kit (no kinks noticed), pcv was checked first
Old 06-04-2007, 09:24 AM
taurran

I think it depends on what people think a "kink" is. From what I understand, even a slight flex in the hose as it rounds a bend would hold up oil from draining. I'm thinking that my own may have had that issue.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:07 PM
redline350ZZ

Originally Posted by taurran
I think if a water cooled turbo and SS braided return line were part of the kit the number of bad or smoking turbos would be greatly reduced.

+1
Old 06-04-2007, 04:21 PM
greddyturb0

water cooled turbo shouldnt be needed. there are many different kits out there that dont use water cooled turbos and dont have these problems, the problem is the TN cut too many corners and is now seeing the after affects of doing so. and for the people not running a SS braided lines, good luck! as far as the smoking issue theres a oil leak and the only i can think of is theres too much oil getting into the turbo, is there a restrictor? because when theres oil coming out of your BOV and oil in your pipes yea your getting too much oil and that can cause youa bigger problem if it isnt taken care of because if the oil keeps leaking you will be putting oil in very frequently. AS far as the bad install goes unless your a complete idiot and bang up the turbo or in any way damage the kit you shouldnt be working on cars and if thats not the case it shouldnt be causing a problem as big as this.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:37 PM
redline350ZZ

The Turbo is covered in a blanket and that retains heat where as the twin systems are not covered and in an area that can dissipate heat better. Taurran said I believe that the problem got worse after installing a better heat blanket. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:44 PM
solidsnake

Is ED ever going to chime in on this thread??????
Old 06-04-2007, 04:59 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by greddyturb0
water cooled turbo shouldnt be needed. there are many different kits out there that dont use water cooled turbos and dont have these problems, the problem is the TN cut too many corners and is now seeing the after affects of doing so. and for the people not running a SS braided lines, good luck! as far as the smoking issue theres a oil leak and the only i can think of is theres too much oil getting into the turbo, is there a restrictor? because when theres oil coming out of your BOV and oil in your pipes yea your getting too much oil and that can cause youa bigger problem if it isnt taken care of because if the oil keeps leaking you will be putting oil in very frequently. AS far as the bad install goes unless your a complete idiot and bang up the turbo or in any way damage the kit you shouldnt be working on cars and if thats not the case it shouldnt be causing a problem as big as this.
I agree that it should not.

What corners are you referring to? The oil drain line? The line that comes with the kit works, it's just very easy to screw up. If you look at many of the other kits, they come with the same type of line. The only problem is you don't have to route it around so much other piping to go into the oil pan at such an odd angle. Because of this it's very easy to screw up.

I agree about the oil issue. This goes back to what I suggested about the oil drain line. Even with bad seals, the oil will take the path of least resistance (which should be the drain), and there's obviously something wrong with the drain if its blowing by the seals instead of draining out. Burnt oil in the exhaus tis one thing, oil going through the entire intercooler and piping and blowing out of the BoV is another thing entirely...

As far as the restrictor is concerned - I'm going off recommendations of the engineer at turbonetics that designed the kit by saying that it shoudln't be run on the kit. Have you seen the size of the feed compared to the drain? Unless for some reason the oil pressure is much higher due to the small line, then I couldn't guess how a restrictor would help. Then again, with less oil you may run into serious coking issues.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:06 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
I'm not sure how a stuck PCV valve would cause noticable smoke coming out of the exhaust on decel.

Last edited by failsafe306; 06-04-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:14 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Originally Posted by taurran
Even with bad seals, the oil will take the path of least resistance (which should be the drain), and there's obviously something wrong with the drain if its blowing by the seals instead of draining out. Burnt oil in the exhaus tis one thing, oil going through the entire intercooler and piping and blowing out of the BoV is another thing entirely...
I agree...that's a different issue entirely.

Quick Reply: White smoke out the exhaust under decel???*Video inside*