Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:59 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by - bigc -
i have to be more careful about joking around in a thread like this
ya, you dunce
Old 03-19-2010, 08:26 PM
whitez33350ztt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i think with 400whp i wont get bored to easily like the rest of yall .. not saying that im not gunna switch to a 3.12 and probably break 425whp.. i think 400 is safe for a dd... and wont try another pulley until i get my cooling mods.. so far i ordered a gtm oil cooler.. nismo thermostat.. and maybe a bigger radiator? do cooling mods really help the vortech and motor run more efficient and really have a big impact? sorry im only 19 but this stuff is EXPENSIVE
Old 03-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Synjn

Originally Posted by binder
it's a nut on the tensioner pulley. If you removed the a/c pulley you're in for a treat later. and coming down from teh top of the car a 3/8" drive rachet with a 14mm socket on it fits in there perfectly fine. Just have to come in from the top and give it about a 1/4 turn to lossen it slightly.
Yes we learn as we go... But what kind of treat do I have in store? I didn't remove the pulley. just as you said loosened it enough to adjust the tensioner. I still feel that my AC belt is too tight anyway.

My main belt still makes a *chirping* sound. Not at startup, just constant mild chirp anywhere past 3500rpm or so. Using belt conditioner/sticky stuff and the sound subsides for about a day, which tells me it's only a belt issue.

But do I just need to get it tighter? My first Supercharger, not used to these super strained belts and bearings. How tight should I go?
Old 03-20-2010, 07:32 AM
binder

Originally Posted by Synjn
Yes we learn as we go... But what kind of treat do I have in store? I didn't remove the pulley. just as you said loosened it enough to adjust the tensioner. I still feel that my AC belt is too tight anyway.

My main belt still makes a *chirping* sound. Not at startup, just constant mild chirp anywhere past 3500rpm or so. Using belt conditioner/sticky stuff and the sound subsides for about a day, which tells me it's only a belt issue.

But do I just need to get it tighter? My first Supercharger, not used to these super strained belts and bearings. How tight should I go?

it has to be really tight.

the a/c is on a completely different belt than the supercharger so i'm still confused why you are messing with it. It has zero to do with your supercharger belt. walk away from it!
Old 03-20-2010, 09:49 AM
usingthejohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this may be a rather stupid question, but can you run a S-trim or T-trim Vortech on a stock engine w/ a RFS, breathing mods and either a standalone or ECU flash?

also, when people run SCi vortechs and have them "upgraded" to S- or T-trim vortechs, is the blower upgraded, or do they do an exchange?

really, i would imagine 450rwhp would be plenty for a primarily street-driven car, and i've seen more people attaining those numbers w/ full bolt-ons and even a flash.

Last edited by usingthejohn; 03-20-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:42 PM
binder

Originally Posted by usingthejohn
this may be a rather stupid question, but can you run a S-trim or T-trim Vortech on a stock engine w/ a RFS, breathing mods and either a standalone or ECU flash?

also, when people run SCi vortechs and have them "upgraded" to S- or T-trim vortechs, is the blower upgraded, or do they do an exchange?

really, i would imagine 450rwhp would be plenty for a primarily street-driven car, and i've seen more people attaining those numbers w/ full bolt-ons and even a flash.
most of those 450 Sc trim on stock block numbers you are seeing are inflated numbers. There are a few running over 400hp and are accurate numbers but each dyno is different and can be way inflated to make a customer feel good about their install.

S or T trim can be used on a stock block. You can run any level on a stock block, it's the amount of boost and tuning you put on it that stresses the stock block. So using a t-trim and a 3.12 pulley to get 400hp on the stock block is perfectly fine.

I think most htat use a t-trim or otherwise just buy the t-trim outright or exchange their blower for a t-trim. I don't personally know of anyone on here that has had their blower "upgraded" but i'm sure there probably are a few. It would be the same results either way.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:48 PM
usingthejohn

Originally Posted by binder
most of those 450 Sc trim on stock block numbers you are seeing are inflated numbers. There are a few running over 400hp and are accurate numbers but each dyno is different and can be way inflated to make a customer feel good about their install.

S or T trim can be used on a stock block. You can run any level on a stock block, it's the amount of boost and tuning you put on it that stresses the stock block. So using a t-trim and a 3.12 pulley to get 400hp on the stock block is perfectly fine.

I think most htat use a t-trim or otherwise just buy the t-trim outright or exchange their blower for a t-trim. I don't personally know of anyone on here that has had their blower "upgraded" but i'm sure there probably are a few. It would be the same results either way.
I would assume that the blowers (Sc, S, T-trims) are larger blowers, correct? Thats my assumption, since 400hp is attainable on the T-trim w/ a 3.12 plley..?? And do the larger blowers produce more off the line torque, or is it the same as a larger turbo, i.e. larger blowers=more lag off the line?

Also, if you went with the S-trim or T-trims, is the reliability the same as an Sc trim? Meaning, would bearing failures, loose belts, etc be the same on each level trim?
Old 03-20-2010, 04:59 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

all the Sxx level blowers are the same size. The xx are impeller options more or less. T is a lil bigger, but not much.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/scspecsheet.php
Old 03-20-2010, 09:07 PM
binder

I would assume that the blowers (Sc, S, T-trims) are larger blowers, correct? Thats my assumption, since 400hp is attainable on the T-trim w/ a 3.12 plley..?? And do the larger blowers produce more off the line torque, or is it the same as a larger turbo, i.e. larger blowers=more lag off the line?

Also, if you went with the S-trim or T-trims, is the reliability the same as an Sc trim? Meaning, would bearing failures, loose belts, etc be the same on each level trim?
Sc and Si are the same size just different impeller. Si flows more. T trim is a bigger scroll and flows more then both of them.

all will have the same "lag" (which is basically non-exsistant since it's a supercharger) since they are all going to be driven by a belt and not exhaust gas.

reliability is the same. reliability is based on vortech's name, not on the size of the blower.

also, i think str8dum has shown in many graphs that the torque is essentially the same across them all. The only difference is the efficiency of the blower and the amount of flow. the larger the blower the more efficient and the more flow it has therefore more power can be produced.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:04 PM
usingthejohn

i'm looking at a Vortech for my rev-up that has about 8K on it. Seller told me he's running the 440cc injectors along with an Osiris flash, plenum spacer and no other mods. claims he's doing 400rwhp...but not sure on what dyno.

If I were to purchase this kit, what should i look out for? Also, could I run this on an otherwise stock engine, or would I need to purchase full bolt-ons prior to installation?
Old 03-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Vash350Z

Anyone know off hand what Vortech charges for a SC to T blower exchange?
Old 03-22-2010, 10:13 AM
str8dum1

i think it was like 800$ or so. I just dont think that the T-trim is that much larger to justify the costs.

It took PharmD a built motor with cams to make more power than my S trim on stock block.

If you are not making 500rwhp on a dynojet you are not pushing your S trim all the way, so theres no reason to go to a T-trim
Old 03-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Vash350Z

Originally Posted by str8dum1
i think it was like 800$ or so. I just dont think that the T-trim is that much larger to justify the costs.

It took PharmD a built motor with cams to make more power than my S trim on stock block.

If you are not making 500rwhp on a dynojet you are not pushing your S trim all the way, so theres no reason to go to a T-trim
Did you upgrade any part of the kit such as the intercooler?
Old 03-26-2010, 05:51 PM
usingthejohn

has anyone ever thought of, or heard of, using a Stroker kit w/ a S or T-trim setup? What type of gains would you see? Thinking out loud, since the HKS kit paired with the stroker kit seems to produce tons of torque (from what I've heard)
Old 03-26-2010, 06:25 PM
05Z33

Originally Posted by Vash350Z
Anyone know off hand what Vortech charges for a SC to T blower exchange?
I called Vortech today and they told me to upgrade your SC to a T trim is about 650.00. All they do is swap out your impeller and volute.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:10 PM
binder

i'm looking at a Vortech for my rev-up that has about 8K on it. Seller told me he's running the 440cc injectors along with an Osiris flash, plenum spacer and no other mods. claims he's doing 400rwhp...but not sure on what dyno.

If I were to purchase this kit, what should i look out for? Also, could I run this on an otherwise stock engine, or would I need to purchase full bolt-ons prior to installation?

Find out how many miles are on it. If you can look at the kit look at the impeller to see if the fins are straight, see if you get shaft play, check to see if the seals are leaking (oil in the charge tubes).

Depending on what pulley he's running he could be pushing 400hp. If he just says a flat "it has 400hp" and can't give you an exact dyno number then he's probably just making something up. People might not know all the latest dynos but more often than not they can tell you at least 1 dyno run hp/tq for their car if they have any knowledge of cars whatsoever.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:13 PM
binder

what about my full build with heads and that Sc trim? I'm pretty sure it'll run out of spice well before my motor is even breathing hard. I'm not moving to a t-trim though because i'll still be limiting the motor....it'll go up to a large single or twins.

has anyone ever thought of, or heard of, using a Stroker kit w/ a S or T-trim setup? What type of gains would you see? Thinking out loud, since the HKS kit paired with the stroker kit seems to produce tons of torque (from what I've heard)
everyone has always thought about it. If you are spending that kind of money on a stroker then why would you do something like put a crappy vortech on it? Use the stroker and put a decent turbo on it. Also, it's stupid to do that work to the engine if you are boosting it. It's a waste of money. Only reason to drop cash on a stroker is if it's a serious 9 second car build or you are doing a nice NA build.

Who says an hks kit with a stroker produces tons of torque? Superchargers are usually down on torque verses their hp.

Originally Posted by 05Z33
I called Vortech today and they told me to upgrade your SC to a T trim is about 650.00. All they do is swap out your impeller and volute.
nice, that reallly isn't all that bad for an upgrade.

Last edited by binder; 03-26-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:48 AM
str8dum1

a stroker on a YSI should make 700whp. They make over 800whp with that blower on a V8s.

I would never bother going from an S trim to a T trim. S trim to YSi would be the only upgrade worth the money.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:54 PM
binder

a stroker on a YSI should make 700whp. They make over 800whp with that blower on a V8s.

I would never bother going from an S trim to a T trim. S trim to YSi would be the only upgrade worth the money.
i would be willing to try it if i could get a good price on a ysi. Chances are i won't have time for all the custom fab work for the next 3 years until i finish med school.

i could "try" to work on it on my 3 week winter breaks for the next 3 years....lol
Old 03-27-2010, 05:17 PM
str8dum1

i honestly dont think there would be any custom work. you might have to notch that plastic radiator support but that would be it. wonder what Vortech would charge to upgrade?

I know its about 2000$ new.

Quick Reply: vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions