Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 05:21 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

and you can just peel off the sticker on the box that says "g35" or "350z"
Old 02-12-2012, 10:33 PM
BEBO'S ZEE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by binder
and you can just peel off the sticker on the box that says "g35" or "350z"
Thats what I was thinking, but I guess it would depend on whether or not the person doing the inspection would know if it should have a label stating which car it belongs to. I don't think they would make a big deal about it though

Originally Posted by ESP350Z
Really depends on the ref-- some may just check the carb number on the blower and if it jives you r good
True. From my past experience I just start chatting and ask a bunch of questions so they get distracted and let me go

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
As far as The SS Box, there is no way that CARB could tell if the Maps or settings were changed. First you would need the Software to access it anyway and every Map is different depending on year and model.
I might be wrong, but isn't there a label or something that states something along the lines of "if this seal is broken, this unit is no longer considered street legal" (I assume its an outlet to access the software)

Thanks for the response guys :thumb up: Im a noob at this and was wondering how some of the guys get by in places requiring smog.
If anyone has a picture of the ss box to see if or what is labeled on it, I would appreciate it
Old 02-13-2012, 03:03 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by binder
That's backwards. The more load you have the higher the boost you can develop. In a s/c system though it's based on RPM anyways so load doesn't affect it like a turbo. So the numbers should be the same. Maybe it's getting too hot on the dyno because of the lack of airflow thus causing slip.

I did notice you have a goodyear gatorback belt on there. No matter how tight i had the good year it always slipped. I had zero slip on the gates belt.

yeah I cant call it man.

very strage. But its like the car grips (the belt) once its warmed up.

either way this is in work!
Attached Thumbnails vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions-2012-02-06_10.40.07.jpg  

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 02-13-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:05 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BEBO'S ZEE
Thats what I was thinking, but I guess it would depend on whether or not the person doing the inspection would know if it should have a label stating which car it belongs to. I don't think they would make a big deal about it though
You can't see the sticker how i have it mounted anyways. It's just a little crappy white sticker.

I might be wrong, but isn't there a label or something that states something along the lines of "if this seal is broken, this unit is no longer considered street legal" (I assume its an outlet to access the software)

No, it says the warranty is void. Nothing about street legal. Just remove the whole sticker and don't leave pieces of it on. All it does is void you from putting in one of those warranty claims to vortech.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:38 PM
BEBO'S ZEE

^oh, gotcha. Thanks for the help
Old 02-18-2012, 12:34 PM
lsmooth81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleeper_Z
Anyways can someone explain to me why is it that on this clip this guys Vortech setup sounds so much more diffenent compared to many other Votrechs, besides the actual blower sound/bpv it seems that its having compression surge as well as whats sounds to be a GReddy Type S BOV and not a BPV... Or is this in fact what they sound like? Sorry know a good bit about ATI not so with Vortech.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/vid-...ttle_87992.htm
I like the sound of that better
Old 02-28-2012, 12:41 AM
Tougelabs

Thats compressor surge...It sounds like failure !
Old 02-28-2012, 08:52 AM
fowlman01

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

quick question for the Cali guys.

Im in Cali and need to be able to pass smog. Those that run the ss box, is there anyway to tell it has been tuned or modified? From my understanding, if it is modified it is no longer considered CARB legal.

Also, is the box labeled for a 350z? I think I saw one that said "G35." So that would mean that if it doesn't say 350Z than it wouldn't pass smog or a smog reff?
I have passed smog with my vortech 2 times...every other year after 5 years.
I in the SF Bay area so they put it on rollers to check the emissions. They can't see the spacer or headers, but they do check to make sure you have the cats on. I had it smogged once with the SS box and the second time with another piggy back..no problems. I'm running 8# boost. The emissions are about the same as when it was stock. The only thing they asked about during the visual was the oil catch can and that was not a problem when I told them why it was there. If it is tuned right and has the CARB plate on the S/C you should not have any problems.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:49 PM
MUZZY

Originally Posted by fowlman01
I have passed smog with my vortech 2 times...every other year after 5 years.
I in the SF Bay area so they put it on rollers to check the emissions. They can't see the spacer or headers, but they do check to make sure you have the cats on. I had it smogged once with the SS box and the second time with another piggy back..no problems. I'm running 8# boost. The emissions are about the same as when it was stock. The only thing they asked about during the visual was the oil catch can and that was not a problem when I told them why it was there. If it is tuned right and has the CARB plate on the S/C you should not have any problems.
This is true b/c the Vortech will act like stock unless you want it to go into boost (punching it). Remember you wont go into your tune or boost till the BPV closes and that only hapens if you apply sudden load or high RPMs
Old 03-21-2012, 04:16 AM
Wasso

Here's a couple of questions for you..... (there's 3 of us looking to step into the Vortech world at once and a few questions have popped up)

Based on a non-revup engine using a Vortech V3 SCi Trim using the stock pulley.

1) What is the max amount of boost the OEM MAF can handle, word has it in the UK it's 6psi??

2) Is a Fuel Return System necessary? I've read through and clearly no seems to be the answer, especially using the stock pulley. The understanding here is that when coming off boost the unused fuel will fluctuate the fuel pressure in the fuel rails and will back up the system?

Now I on the other hand will be running the same charger but for the ReVup, and will be using the 3.12 pulley. As far as I can see the requirement of a MAF or FRS is not require?

The question really sits with how safe is it without the uprated MAF (if required) and the FRS? Of course having ALL of the additional mods will make it safe as houses, but really if running a stock pulley and 3.12 on the revup is it really necessary?
Old 03-21-2012, 06:45 AM
onagao

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gents, I have a question. I'm buying a Vortech V3 SCi for my 06 RevUp. However, while I want to just jump straight to the 2.87" pulley upgrade and skip that whole part where I get dissatisfied with the stock 3.12" pulley, I'm looking at the math of the impeller speeds and I'm left somewhat bothered.

Originally, the step up gear ratio on this thread was reported to be 3.54. However, Vortech's website has it down as 3.6. Substituting the number from Vortech into the formula below, this is what I get:

---
[5.75/SC pulley] x [upper cog pulley teeth/lower cog pulley teeth] x [3.6 x redline rpm] = impeller speed

** 5.75" = crank pulley diameter

** SC pulley = 3.33, 3.12, 2.87, 2.62 pulley etc
** REVUP kit: upper cog pulley = 34, lower = 32, jackshaft pulley = 3.12
3.6 = step up gear ratio

---

## Going with the above calculations and a V3 SCi Trim, the RevUp blower will hit 49345.0 rpm at the car's 7000 rpm redline.

## Substituting in the community-recommended 2.87" pulley for the stock 3.12", the blower then hits 53643.3 rpm at redline.

The problem with all of this is that the V3 SCi Trim maximum impeller speed is 53000, which would have the 2.87" setup pushing a bit over that accepted limit if the 3.6 number is correct. I know that a lot of people here have made the 2.87 jump, and for good reasons. However, I'm left a little confused.

- Are these people just pushing beyond the limits of their superchargers in order to get the extra power?

- Or is my math up there somehow wrong?
Old 03-21-2012, 07:00 AM
Threads

Originally Posted by Wasso
Here's a couple of questions for you..... (there's 3 of us looking to step into the Vortech world at once and a few questions have popped up)

Based on a non-revup engine using a Vortech V3 SCi Trim using the stock pulley.

1) What is the max amount of boost the OEM MAF can handle, word has it in the UK it's 6psi??

2) Is a Fuel Return System necessary? I've read through and clearly no seems to be the answer, especially using the stock pulley. The understanding here is that when coming off boost the unused fuel will fluctuate the fuel pressure in the fuel rails and will back up the system?

Now I on the other hand will be running the same charger but for the ReVup, and will be using the 3.12 pulley. As far as I can see the requirement of a MAF or FRS is not require?

The question really sits with how safe is it without the uprated MAF (if required) and the FRS? Of course having ALL of the additional mods will make it safe as houses, but really if running a stock pulley and 3.12 on the revup is it really necessary?
I can't answer your question regarding the MAF, however, I can give you an answer for the FRS question. If you have the monies, I would run a FRS. The FPR will adjust fuel pressure accordingly based on vacuum/boost. However, a FRS isn't "necessary" for the setup you are trying to run. I am trying to find the post for you, but Phunk did a really good job explaining why/when a FRS is needed.

Originally Posted by onagao
Gents, I have a question. I'm buying a Vortech V3 SCi for my 06 RevUp. However, while I want to just jump straight to the 2.87" pulley upgrade and skip that whole part where I get dissatisfied with the stock 3.12" pulley, I'm looking at the math of the impeller speeds and I'm left somewhat bothered.

Originally, the step up gear ratio on this thread was reported to be 3.54. However, Vortech's website has it down as 3.6. Substituting the number from Vortech into the formula below, this is what I get:

---
[5.75/SC pulley] x [upper cog pulley teeth/lower cog pulley teeth] x [3.6 x redline rpm] = impeller speed

** 5.75" = crank pulley diameter

** SC pulley = 3.33, 3.12, 2.87, 2.62 pulley etc
** REVUP kit: upper cog pulley = 34, lower = 32, jackshaft pulley = 3.12
3.6 = step up gear ratio

---

## Going with the above calculations and a V3 SCi Trim, the RevUp blower will hit 49345.0 rpm at the car's 7000 rpm redline.

## Substituting in the community-recommended 2.87" pulley for the stock 3.12", the blower then hits 53643.3 rpm at redline.

The problem with all of this is that the V3 SCi Trim maximum impeller speed is 53000, which would have the 2.87" setup pushing a bit over that accepted limit if the 3.6 number is correct. I know that a lot of people here have made the 2.87 jump, and for good reasons. However, I'm left a little confused.

- Are these people just pushing beyond the limits of their superchargers in order to get the extra power?

- Or is my math up there somehow wrong?
Your math looks correct. Remember, the above equation assumes no belt slip. You WILL have belt slip. People run the 2.87 because with belt slip you will be below the impeller's max speed.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:22 AM
Threads

Had to double post, but that information regarding the FRS....

Here is the post I was referring to:

https://my350z.com/forum/7062353-post15.html

And the thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/product-ann...-0-system.html

I hope this helps you make a decision!
Old 03-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Wasso

Thanks for the response - so in basic terms with low boost it's not essential, but with using a FRS it will eleviate any potential issues that 'could' arise but as said if funds are available to go for it.

Any further info on the MAF would be helpful.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:27 AM
4SHIZZIL

Originally Posted by Wasso
1) What is the max amount of boost the OEM MAF can handle, word has it in the UK it's 6psi?
its not really a PSI issue, its a voltage issue, the MAF dies at 5 volts.

I hit about 14/15psi on the stock MAF, no issues. above that it it went nuts!
Old 03-22-2012, 05:32 AM
4SHIZZIL

Originally Posted by Threads
Your math looks correct. Remember, the above equation assumes no belt slip. You WILL have belt slip. People run the 2.87 because with belt slip you will be below the impeller's max speed.
also cosider the amount of time being overspun.

Its less than a second in most cases! Even with me running my car to 7350 rpms, I am still under 2 seconds each time im redlining the car. I dont redline it all the time, so the time spent in over spin mode is VERY low. But because my engine has an 8200 rpm limit, i did upgrade to High Speed Bearings! I am also running the upgraded Ttrim, not the true Ttrim so the 928 bearings will fit on the bottom side. Stuck with Vortech not Heavy Duty but heavier than OEM set up bearings on the outside.

Some tires rated at 120mph. I have hit that plenty of times. Does that mean they are going to explode? Not if I hit it for a second then go back down to acceptible temps.

its all about how long with the blower/bearings be in overdrive!

not much for most cars....even on 3rd gear track days. I am well under redline when running 3rd gear all day. lol.

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 03-22-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:28 AM
usingthejohn

stupid a$$ question, but with a V2 blower, can i run the 928 Impeller?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:44 AM
05Z33

Originally Posted by usingthejohn
stupid a$$ question, but with a V2 blower, can i run the 928 Impeller?
yes
Old 04-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's just the V3 that doesn't without some work, right?
Old 04-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Threads

Originally Posted by 05Z33
yes
I believe your answer is partially correct. The impeller is trim specific. It was designed to fit a S-Trim volute. V2 and V3's, amongst other blowers, come/came in S-Trims.

So to answer the original question, the 928M impeller will work with a V2 blower, if and only if it has a S-Trim volute.

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
It's just the V3 that doesn't without some work, right?
See my answer above.

Last edited by Threads; 04-02-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Quick Reply: vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions