Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?
View Poll Results: the right EMS
HKS
89.71%
Greddy Ultimate
10.29%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

the right EMS

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 07:10 AM
350z_Brembo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the right EMS

Hey guys I'm looking to go turbo with a built motor, have heard that it is hard that I can't get an HKS dealer where I live but I can get the greddy ultimate.

My question is for 500 - 580 what is can do the job the?

What is the major differences?
Old 07-04-2007, 07:17 AM
taurran

Uh... Neither. The Greddy EMU is crap. The HKS vpro is overkill.

Go with a UTEC for those power levels.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:20 AM
350z_Brembo

which one will be more smooth for daily driving, and why is the greddy crap? what is so bad about it, I respect you thoughts but please provide reasoning behind it, thanks.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:22 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by taurran

+1
Old 07-04-2007, 07:24 AM
redman333

I really don't know too much about the differences but I have a daily driver with a utec and it drives like stock.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:32 AM
ML2000

I don't think the HKS is overkill for the power he is running, but if there is not a HKS pro-dealer near you I would go with the UTEC no question asked.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:05 AM
JMS71585

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HKS vpro is expensive and there are other alternatives for your setup that are cheaper. The Utec has proven to be a great investment, so you might want to turn to the Utec. The Greddy Ultimate is a pretty good investment too. There are a few people that have it and like it, but bottem line is that the utec is more popular therefore you will get more people telling you to get the Utec...
Old 07-04-2007, 08:42 AM
one1pitchblackz

HKS FTW if money was no option otherwise UTEC
Old 07-04-2007, 09:10 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by ML2000
I don't think the HKS is overkill for the power he is running, but if there is not a HKS pro-dealer near you I would go with the UTEC no question asked.
$2300 vs $800. And you lose the ability to take it to any other tuner other than the one you bought it from? I'd say that's overkill.

The UTEC is absoultely fine for those power levels. There's no reason to waste money on the HKS fcon vpro unless you just feel like blowing a bunch of money.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:18 AM
westpak
SFZCC

$2300 vs $800. And you lose the ability to take it to any other tuner other than the one you bought it from? I'd say that's overkill.

The UTEC is absoultely fine for those power levels. There's no reason to waste money on the HKS fcon vpro unless you just feel like blowing a bunch of money.
Until you drive a car in the 550-600 RWHP with a Utec vs an HKS Fcon you cannot give an accurate comparison, the Fcon is by far worth the money. I am driving around with 1000cc injectors and it is like stock, try that with a Utec.

Also your pricing is list prices, just like with any parts I am sure a dealer can package it and discount it, and your pricing for the Utec doesn't include map sensor and also is not at list price like you listed the Fcon.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:18 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 350z_Brembo
Hey guys I'm looking to go turbo with a built motor, have heard that it is hard that I can't get an HKS dealer where I live but I can get the greddy ultimate.

My question is for 500 - 580 what is can do the job the?

What is the major differences?

if you can afford it and a tuner is near by get the HKS V Pro .. its great addition for any car running higher than 550 whp ... UTEC is great for under 450 WHP .. the resolution on the UTEC is small and the higher in boost you go.. the more you need that better resolution for a better tune.. A tuner will tune a V Pro faster and safer than a UTEC in 10% of the time. Usually people who bash the V Pro being too expensive are people who can't afford it.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:21 AM
failsafe306

If I had the extra cash, I'd use the fcon even on stock block FI. At this point, there's nothing better for the Z. UTEC is a close second though imo.

And you're not limited to the shop who originally installed it, any VPRO dealer can tune it.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:37 AM
clemlover15

I wish I could get a Fcon in Canada all so ,
Old 07-04-2007, 10:07 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by failsafe306
If I had the extra cash, I'd use the fcon even on stock block FI. At this point, there's nothing better for the Z. UTEC is a close second though imo.

And you're not limited to the shop who originally installed it, any VPRO dealer can tune it.
Yeah, you're not limited to that shop unless you feel like driving to another state to get the tune adjusted.

And, you don't need 1000cc injectors to run 500-580whp. If you can't tune for that on a UTEC with 750cc injectors or smaller, then you just suck, basically.

This forum is all about overkill. People put down $50k to make 500whp, run huge dual 3" exhausts on stock motor setups, and run full standalones with insane injectors for moderate power. That's what extra deep pockets get you I guess.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:32 AM
failsafe306

This forum is all about overkill
Haha, I agree to a point. I'm partial to the FCON though because I've personally ran one and it was amazing. Plus the ability to run low impedance injectors allows you to run 1000+cc injectors for really high hp while idling just like stock is nice . Low impedance injectors allow for shorter on-times.

I'm NOT saying that the UTEC won't work well with smaller injectors! But look at all the guys running 550whp+ and 750cc having warm start problems and idle issues. Sure it works, but not as well as it could.

Don't get me wrong, I like the UTEC (hell, I just bought one) but if I had the cash and a dealer nearby, I'd do FCON and 1000cc injectors right off the bat. That way, when I upgrade kits and build some day in the future, those are two less things I have to sell for a loss and upgrade.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:37 AM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

Haha, I agree to a point. I'm partial to the FCON though because I've personally ran one and it was amazing. Plus the ability to run low impedance injectors allows you to run 1000+cc injectors for really high hp while idling just like stock is nice . Low impedance injectors allow for shorter on-times.

I'm NOT saying that the UTEC won't work well with smaller injectors! But look at all the guys running 550whp+ and 750cc having warm start problems and idle issues. Sure it works, but not as well as it could.

Don't get me wrong, I like the UTEC (hell, I just bought one) but if I had the cash and a dealer nearby, I'd do FCON and 1000cc injectors right off the bat. That way, when I upgrade kits and build some day in the future, those are two less things I have to sell for a loss and upgrade.

+60billion
Old 07-04-2007, 10:42 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

because I've personally ran one and it was amazing.
and thats all that matters.. experience .. people with a small ***** can't tell you how great Trojan Magnum's are if they never used one.. people who can't afford to buy Top Shelf Vodka can't tell you how great it taste with cranberry juice.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:43 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by doug
and thats all that matters.. experience .. people with a small ***** can't tell you how great Trojan Magnum's are if they never used one.
As if you have experience with either....
Old 07-04-2007, 10:51 AM
clemlover15

this is getting way off topic, but a lot more fun lol.....
Old 07-04-2007, 11:16 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Yeah, you're not limited to that shop unless you feel like driving to another state to get the tune adjusted.

And, you don't need 1000cc injectors to run 500-580whp. If you can't tune for that on a UTEC with 750cc injectors or smaller, then you just suck, basically.

This forum is all about overkill. People put down $50k to make 500whp, run huge dual 3" exhausts on stock motor setups, and run full standalones with insane injectors for moderate power. That's what extra deep pockets get you I guess.
This is from your experience in tuning cars to that horsepower with a Utec?

The Utec can be tuned for idle and cruise on the 0% column and for wide open throttle up to the 100% column but the issue comes in with the in between, with only 10 load columns you are limited on how much boost can be tuned in there, if you want to go for 15 psi you either have to have huge jumps in psi between columns or start your tuned psi higher around 5psi, so up to 5psi you are running off column 0%. To give a simple example with the Fcon you can tune from -11 to 20 psi easily using one map and 1 psi per load site or break up differently if you want.

It is that in between section and hot starts that people have issues with the Utec, if people only idled/cruised or WOT then it would be fine, the Fcon just gives you that ability to address all of the areas. Then you add the Air Fuel feedback for constant af adjustment and the ability to run low impedance injectors and it becomes a better option.

As for running 1000cc injectors, yes not all need it but since it can handle them why not, that way when people want to tune to 600, 700 whatever they want you just have to tune the Fcon and not have to change injectors.

There are many excuses or arguments to justify going with a Utec for the high power end and satisfy yourself that you made the right choice, but there is better out there.

Quick Reply: the right EMS