Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?
View Poll Results: the right EMS
HKS
89.71%
Greddy Ultimate
10.29%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

the right EMS

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran
Not every consumer is absolutely incompetent. That's what most Z tuning shops will say but I don't entirely agree. Look at the other aftermarket communities, most of them are less shop-and-wallet based and more do-it-yourself based. ...
Your completely right..Look at all the GREAT running SR20 swaps and Honda's running around there that run either full trhottle or barely idle..
Old 07-05-2007, 02:05 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Your completely right..Look at all the GREAT running SR20 swaps and Honda's running around there that run either full trhottle or barely idle..
Theres just as many cars in those communities running great across the load range that didn't use an EMS locked out to the end user. Of course your base tuning needs to be done on a dyno. But that doesn't mean changes to it should require a return trip to the dyno either. In the end its about being able to go to a local dyno and tuner of your choice to tune your car. I'm not driving all the way to GTM just to tune my car when I have several excellent tuners and dynos local to me just because my EMS is locked out. There's several other members here who feel the same way. They want the control and functionality of the Fcon without having to make a 4 hour trip to make changes.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
LOL. I'll be interested to see how you respond to a dyno with a bone stock Z and its gains from adjusting cam timing alone. Not every end user is a dunce at tuning. The UTEC sells well for exactly this reason and the Fcon as nice as it is has people unwilling to purchase it because they can't self tune. Not everyone has to take their car to a shop to tweak their tune. It's nice that you have such little confidence in the abilities of your potential customers.
How is it a potential customer that wants to DO It THEMSELVES..Is that not a contradiction,and exactly the opposite of a customer..Heck Im all for my customers or inexperienced shops doing installs..That just means I get the "I messed up" money, which is always more in the end than the original install do to all the trouble shooting..
Do you have any Idea how many HOURS of tedious tuning the Variable Timing would be? Definitely not worth the gains IMHO..But hey, knock yourself out with it..Haltech makes a great product..Im interested to see what happens when you give the "average Joe" the total control the Haltech will offer..
Old 07-05-2007, 02:10 PM
MIAPLAYA

How is it a potential customer that wants to DO It THEMSELVES..Is that not a contradiction,and exactly the opposite of a customer..Heck Im all for my customers or inexperienced shops doing installs..That just means I get the "I messed up" money, which is always more in the end than the original install do to all the trouble shooting..
Do you have any Idea how many HOURS of tedious tuning the Variable Timing would be? Definitely not worth the gains IMHO..But hey, knock yourself out with it..Haltech makes a great product..Im interested to see what happens when you give the "average Joe" the total control the Haltech will offer..
They COULD be a purchase customer or initial tune customer. Of course not if you treat them like that they won't. As for how many hours of initial tuning, its not THAT much additional effort. At least not as much as you are making it out to be. And the gains are clearly more then you think but we'll see when all the info is posted.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:42 PM
TENGAI

I personally will NEVER buy an F-Con. I just refuse to buy into any sort of monopoly BS product line. It may be the "best" that's PnP ready right now, but that doesn't mean it's the "best" thing period.

Answer this: If the F-Con is so special, why can't it dynamically retard timing (i.e. knock control) out of the box? You have to buy the knock-amp for that functionallity. Almost EVERY OTHER stand-alone EMS out there provides that feature out of the box, not to mention variable cam control (intake AND exhaust), as well as a DIY self tune / learn mode for baselining your tune.

I agree that tuning is an art, but for what vendors charge for HKS F-Con EMS units around here, it's criminal. I'm really just tired of reading another post that says "oh the F-Con is so much better than anything else out there... blah blah blah." How about trying something different. AEM, Haltech, Autronics, Motec, and others make excellent EMS solutions for less, and offer more functions and features out of the box.

Ok, I'm done venting
Old 07-05-2007, 02:52 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

They COULD be a purchase customer or initial tune customer. Of course not if you treat them like that they won't. As for how many hours of initial tuning, its not THAT much additional effort. At least not as much as you are making it out to be. And the gains are clearly more then you think but we'll see when all the info is posted.
Mia do you work for turbonetics?
Old 07-05-2007, 03:01 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The FCON Vpro has been around here for about 3 years at least, if not longer. Why all of a sudden has there been this big uprising against it and HKS dealers in general? I was running one over a year ago, Phunk was running one at least two years ago, if not more. A few others were as well, but I can't think of them at the moment. Nobody gave us a hard time and accused us of wasting our money....
Old 07-05-2007, 03:34 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by r0mey
Mia do you work for turbonetics?
No and what does your quote of my post have anything to do with that?
Old 07-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Jokestrap

Originally Posted by doug
if you can afford it and a tuner is near by get the HKS V Pro .. its great addition for any car running higher than 550 whp ... UTEC is great for under 450 WHP .. the resolution on the UTEC is small and the higher in boost you go.. the more you need that better resolution for a better tune.. A tuner will tune a V Pro faster and safer than a UTEC in 10% of the time. Usually people who bash the V Pro being too expensive are people who can't afford it.
GREAT POINT!
Old 07-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Jokestrap

I think of it as an extended warranty. I draw the line at $300.00 for basic appliances. Stereo equipment from Best Buy for $400.00 bucks, yeah, get the warranty package for $39.99. Stock block at 500whp, probably UTEC. $25k+ "invested" in a motor etc., buy the best and I don't care what it is. If your tuner can tune it to 600whp and give you a 1 year warranty with confidence, take it, pay for it and be happy with it.

My local tuner suggests FCON for high HP built motors and definitely if tracking like myself. You have to think of it as the most important component to protect your investment. If you have invested a crap load of money, say over $20k, get the very best. You can go TT for as little as $10k. There is no reason to spend $4k on an EMS to support an investment of $10k. Great if you just have the money though...

Just my .02.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:55 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

No and what does your quote of my post have anything to do with that?
your quote nothing because it was ur last post
Old 07-05-2007, 07:06 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Im not doubting that ther will be some power made by an "EXPERIENCED TUNER" However, what I am saying is, "giving a D.I.Y. er that much control over his engine will inevitably result in all of the HALTECH BLEW UP MY MOTOR threads". Case in point, look at all the "deffective UTEC threads, and UTEC issue threads, when 95% of the time it is user error..Now give the end user 10 times the resolution and 10 times the control features..IMHO you innevitably going to have problems that will effect sales of the unit..Honestly, there is ALOT of stuff to learn as far as navigating around an EMS intrerface, and one small error can cause big issues..Tuning advanced engine managements like the Haltech, IMO is best left to a professional..
Old 07-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by TENGAI
I agree that tuning is an art, but for what vendors charge for HKS F-Con EMS units around here, it's criminal.
Ever purchase an AEM and all the accessories and dyno time? Let me know how you feel afterwards..

I'm really just tired of reading another post that says "oh the F-Con is so much better than anything else out there... blah blah blah." How about trying something different.
Ok, Go for it..All of the below listed managemnt systems will be comparable in price if not more..

AEM, Haltech, Autronics, Motec, and others make excellent EMS solutions for less, and offer more functions and features out of the box.
Ever see the failure rates of the AEM units??Driving down the highway and BOOM, car shuts off..And name some of the other functions you will utilize from any of the units you just named??
Old 07-05-2007, 07:31 PM
taurran

Well yeah, but look at all those home built and tuned hondas that would absolutely DESTROY any street driven Z on this site with 50k+ in parts and labor. A lot of great innovation has come from those same home tuners. I see it constantly being stifled on this forum by shops and people that settle for the "do it right, do it for as much money as possible, do it the same as everyone else" approach.

That's really all there is to what I'm saying, I dont intend to argue the point.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by taurran
Well yeah, but look at all those home built and tuned hondas that would absolutely DESTROY any street driven Z on this site with 50k+ in parts and labor. A lot of great innovation has come from those same home tuners. I see it constantly being stifled on this forum by shops and people that settle for the "do it right, do it for as much money as possible, do it the same as everyone else" approach.

That's really all there is to what I'm saying, I dont intend to argue the point.
Very tru, However the Honda platform has been developed over the past 10 years in the drag racing scene..Give the Z the same time frame and youll see tons of 10-9 second Z's running on the street..
Plus the Hondas break every other run..
Old 07-05-2007, 11:03 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

Very tru, However the Honda platform has been developed over the past 10 years in the drag racing scene..Give the Z the same time frame and youll see tons of 10-9 second Z's running on the street..
Plus the Hondas break every other run..
Old 07-05-2007, 11:29 PM
zzerotwosixty

Originally Posted by Weqster
My final through for this thread. Pick a tuner before your EMS.

Then use an EMS that your tuner is comfortable with. Cause in the end, doesnt matter what tool they use, if they arnt familer with it, ur tune will be ****.
Somebody's using their head.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:32 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

^ thats the first smart thing he said all thread
Old 07-06-2007, 02:50 AM
westpak
SFZCC

A lot of those Honda guys also go through engines without much concerned as they are easy to get and easy to build, I would not want to be rebuilding my VQ every few months.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:53 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by westpak
A lot of those Honda guys also go through engines without much concerned as they are easy to get and easy to build, I would not want to be rebuilding my VQ every few months.
Not to mention a good percentage of the Honda parts are STOLEN..

Quick Reply: the right EMS