Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 05:40 PM
streetzlegend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started to search through the 99 pages of this thread, but was taking very long and dont know if this question has been answered, anyway. How many qt's of oil are you guys filling with? Iv been putting almost 6qt's. how I go about figuring out how much I need, is I let it car idle, or even drive it around, stop and turn it off and not let the scavange pump run while engine is off, that way all the oil stays in the line and turbo. this way when i check oil level at the engine it will be exactly what the engine see's while on.

Just wondering how much oil you guys put in.

Last edited by streetzlegend; 05-25-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Boozt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by athenG
It is your money so you can do what ever you want. I think goosegoose and me are the last two guys from the first batch tester and I pretty much know the limit and what the STS can do. Goosegoose went through all the pain trying to get max HP with this kit and his built motor. STS is good for stock block but for high HP application then a front-mount is much effecient. Down the road when I have the $$$$ for my build, I will ditch the STS and go with a Twin. Good luck.
Well.......The VQ may stay after all. The Hinson kit has too many issues....I just got the quote from the 2JZ guys . Soooooooo, A forged performance short block and EBC with a better tune at 10 to 12 psi looks to be the newest ticket in my drama. I would love some feed back on forged VQ engine builders....from what I have heard, Forged Performance is a great way to go. While it's out, I need my tranny gone through as well. There is a good local engine builder in town.....you guys think I will save much just buying the forged parts and having it done.....OR should I just leave it to the Forged guys and leave my worries (on the track) behind me?
Old 05-26-2009, 05:06 AM
goosegoose

Originally Posted by Boozt
Well.......The VQ may stay after all. The Hinson kit has too many issues....I just got the quote from the 2JZ guys . Soooooooo, A forged performance short block and EBC with a better tune at 10 to 12 psi looks to be the newest ticket in my drama. I would love some feed back on forged VQ engine builders....from what I have heard, Forged Performance is a great way to go. While it's out, I need my tranny gone through as well. There is a good local engine builder in town.....you guys think I will save much just buying the forged parts and having it done.....OR should I just leave it to the Forged guys and leave my worries (on the track) behind me?
You're in California, right? Why stretch all the way across the country? GTM is right where you are.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:22 AM
DudeMan

told ya the 2j was going to be far from cheap
Old 05-26-2009, 05:27 AM
Boozt

Originally Posted by goosegoose
You're in California, right? Why stretch all the way across the country? GTM is right where you are.
Thanks for the input....have you used GTM or know anybody who has???? Jim
Old 05-26-2009, 05:30 AM
goosegoose

Thanks for the input....have you used GTM or know anybody who has???? Jim
A ton of people have used them with good results. My built motor and transmission (along with several other smaller items) are from them. I can introduce you to Sam at GTM if you like. I'm sure that will make the process easier if you want to explore using them as an option.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:16 AM
Boozt

Originally Posted by goosegoose
A ton of people have used them with good results. My built motor and transmission (along with several other smaller items) are from them. I can introduce you to Sam at GTM if you like. I'm sure that will make the process easier if you want to explore using them as an option.
Give me a number in Cali and I will contact them....Thanks- Jim
Old 05-26-2009, 06:20 AM
goosegoose

Give me a number in Cali and I will contact them....Thanks- Jim
http://www.gtmotorsports.com/
(909) 481-4300

Ask for Sam, and tell him your calling him on Lewis's recommendation. I'll email him privately and give him a heads up. Good luck!
Old 05-26-2009, 04:24 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
I started to search through the 99 pages of this thread, but was taking very long and dont know if this question has been answered, anyway. How many qt's of oil are you guys filling with? Iv been putting almost 6qt's. how I go about figuring out how much I need, is I let it car idle, or even drive it around, stop and turn it off and not let the scavange pump run while engine is off, that way all the oil stays in the line and turbo. this way when i check oil level at the engine it will be exactly what the engine see's while on.

Just wondering how much oil you guys put in.
I'm good with 5 1/2 qt anything more than that then my oil is way past the H line.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:17 AM
streetzlegend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by athenG
I'm good with 5 1/2 qt anything more than that then my oil is way past the H line.
ok cool. Thanx
Old 05-27-2009, 09:22 AM
skn5002

Default Upgrade injectors??

....n/m

Last edited by skn5002; 05-27-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Boozt

OK boys.....I spoke with STS they quote the stock kit will max out at 550 crank HP at 15 psi with the standard turbo and 440 injectors. Anybody care to comment on the loss of low end grunt with the change over to low compression pistons? My dilema is two types of racing.....I AutoX 10 times/year and large track 8-10X/year. Kinda looking for the best of both worlds.....with an occasional drive on the public twisties. Input?
Old 05-27-2009, 03:26 PM
skn5002

For those of you putting out +380hp, are the 440cc injectors pretty much maxed out? I am getting tuned this Tuesday and would like to hit at least 370hp or more, with testpipes, plenum spacer, and HKS evc. Can these injectors reliably support that power and stay near 80% IDC or should I upgrade to 600cc now and not have to retune?
Old 05-28-2009, 02:46 PM
Boozt

Well I got hooked up with Sam at GTM....they are building me a killer long block. Here is the carnage from my day at the Hill

Old 05-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Chaser720
Lemoned Z

Well I got hooked up with Sam at GTM....they are building me a killer long block. Here is the carnage from my day at the Hill

Pics need to be reworked. Cant really see anything.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:44 PM
DanielW
Banned

I think the stock kit is gonna top out at like 400whp on a dyno jet.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:04 PM
Boozt

Originally Posted by DanielW
I think the stock kit is gonna top out at like 400whp on a dyno jet.
I'll find out soon enough.....When the motor is done and broken in I head to GTM for the Osiris tune and new MAF and ditch the piggy back......STS claims the kit is good for 550 crank HP so given drive train loss I should be good for mid 400's but I really don't know.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:08 PM
ErkTheJerk73

Received 718 Likes on 427 Posts

i want a kit someone make it happen for me!
Old 05-28-2009, 04:35 PM
DudeMan

Originally Posted by ErkTheJerk73
i want a kit someone make it happen for me!
you can buy mine soon
Old 05-28-2009, 05:33 PM
goosegoose

OK boys.....I spoke with STS they quote the stock kit will max out at 550 crank HP at 15 psi with the standard turbo and 440 injectors. Anybody care to comment on the loss of low end grunt with the change over to low compression pistons? My dilema is two types of racing.....I AutoX 10 times/year and large track 8-10X/year. Kinda looking for the best of both worlds.....with an occasional drive on the public twisties. Input?
I'm speaking from the experience of running a built GTM motor with the STS kit. If you don't want to lose on the low end, don't lower your compression ratio too much. If I had to do everything over again, I'd stick with stock cams, at least 9.5:1 compression, and a good methanol kit to protect against pre-detonation. You may also wish to change the STS turbo to help spool and efficiency. I'm currently on my fourth turbo with this kit. It is direct from Precision - a ball bearing with billet aluminum compressor.

If you are eventually going to ditch this kit for a twin turbo, than nevermind what I just said.

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread