Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 07:12 PM
denchan350gt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DanielW
Just wanted to let everyone know that CIN got my speed signal on the apexi avc-r hooked up and I'm able to use the gear dependent boost feature now to hit full bost in 1st and second gear. It really helps off the line with spool up time and power in first and second. Now I just have to get retuned.
Nice!! Can you pm me what CIN did to get that to work for you I have the same EBC.

Glad to see you finally got it figured out.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:09 AM
App6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by denchan350gt
Nice!! Can you pm me what CIN did to get that to work for you I have the same EBC.

Glad to see you finally got it figured out.
I'd like to know too, that is dirty
Old 01-06-2008, 07:58 AM
DJ SMITTY
Sponsor
CIN Motorsports

CIN for the WIN
Old 01-06-2008, 08:04 AM
DanielW
Banned

I didn't really figure anything out as far as hooking up the speed signal. I just got the boost controller set to where it will hit full boost in every[ gear after bobby figured everything out. If you guys let me know what year your car is i'll try to find out where the ecu pin is located for the speed signal. Or maybe CIN will chime in here who knows
Old 01-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

From my nav install there is a speed signal wire on the ac control box behing the shifter. On my 03 it was white with a blue stripe.

I could be totally wrong on the color code but the wire is back there and easy to get access to...
Old 01-06-2008, 01:35 PM
denchan350gt

Originally Posted by DanielW
I didn't really figure anything out as far as hooking up the speed signal. I just got the boost controller set to where it will hit full boost in every[ gear after bobby figured everything out. If you guys let me know what year your car is i'll try to find out where the ecu pin is located for the speed signal. Or maybe CIN will chime in here who knows
I have a 04 G35 5at with a VB and modified TC.

Did you change any of your previous settings?

If you don't mind can you share what your settings are for boost, duty and F/B for each gear.

I've been trying to get this feature working or find a good setting for this EBC since it is not widely used here.

I think it would be a very good EBC due to the extra features if you didn't have to tweak it so much to take advantage of those features.

The instruction manual is confusing also. Do you or any of you other STS guys have any new vids of your cars in action?

The cars sound awesome.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:37 PM
DanielW
Banned

Originally Posted by Ahsmo
From my nav install there is a speed signal wire on the ac control box behing the shifter. On my 03 it was white with a blue stripe.

I could be totally wrong on the color code but the wire is back there and easy to get access to...

I think its different for different year models and it may even be different for auto and manual, but i could be totally wrong too
Old 01-10-2008, 07:15 PM
athenG

Guys, I finally made my choice and purchased the Varicool Trunk Mount kit with SS line and Intake Temp Probe. I have lots of discussion with David at Coolingmist and they have a new Flash on their controller that can use Boost and IAT as a criteria on how much to spraying or when to start spray. The Flash is not published to the public yet but will be available in a few weeks. I also found a Dealer in Florida that gives mad deal!!! Everything retails for $730 (Varicool Trunk mount progressive kit, SS Line and the Intake probe) but got it for $640 shipped with the new Flash.

I cant wait to have this installed and Tuned!!!

http://www.coolingmist.com/detailmai...=varicooltrunk

Edit:
Also Varicool is Software Tunable and datalogged... I have my Laptop plugged in for Data logging Utec anyways so this will give logging capability on my Meth kit at the same time. I have scratched the idea of having Utec Control everything or have a kit that is RPM dependent

Last edited by athenG; 01-11-2008 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:19 PM
TheProfessional

Originally Posted by athenG
Guy, I finally made my choice and purchased the Varicool Trunk Mount kit with SS line and Intake Temp Probe. I have lots of discussion with David at Coolingmist and they have a new Flash on their controller that can use Boost and IAT as a criteria on how much to spray. The Flash is not published to the public yet but will be available in a few weeks. I also found a Dealer in Florida that gives mad deal!!! Everything retails for $730 (Varicool Trunk mount progressive kit, SS Line and the Intake probe) but got it for $640 shipped with the new Flash.

I cant wait to have this installed and Tuned!!!
Sounds cool... I noticed my instructions said to gap the spark plugs at .26 if under 7psi, and .24 if over 7psi.... a regap might be in order for you...
Old 01-10-2008, 07:25 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by TheProfessional
Sounds cool... I noticed my instructions said to gap the spark plugs at .26 if under 7psi, and .24 if over 7psi.... a regap might be in order for you...

There was a discussion about this but I think under 10psi the stock gap is good.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:40 PM
App6MT

athen, good choice on the cooling mist. I am definitely planning on some sort of water/meth setup when the STS comes.

Have you thought about a EBC, especially with daniel's results?

Game plan is to get the body kit put on and painted at the end of the month and try to us STS down to $4000 for the kit. They offered it for me for $4500 (side piping) so we'll see what happens. After that, a trip down to PF for a retune, EBC setup and water/meth around May or so, maybe April when all the HS/college girls are on spring break
Old 01-11-2008, 06:04 PM
athenG

I have so many chit on my list that I don't know were to start. I'm still recovering from Christmas (Big Family) and also from my brother-n-law's Wedding a couple of weeks ago..... anyways, I'm really impress with Daniel's EBC result though I'm not concern with his problem since I have a 6MT. Since everyone are doing different things, then I might as well do something different so I can contribute something.

1. Goosegoose did the heat wrap and it look promising.
2. Daniel did convert to Test Pipe and also look promising.
3. Teg increased his boost with TP and also look promising.
4. Daniel converted to an EBC and also look promising.

There are some cool projects in the making by some of the Testers or Tester but I wont tell until they are actually finished. Now on my part I just ordered my Water/Meth kit and will be switching to a Test Pipes and combine it with Heat/Wrap. Next Project is Swap to different FMIC and switch to an EBC. Might also add some more gauges (EGT and Fuel Pressure) in the future
Old 01-11-2008, 06:11 PM
App6MT

My setup will be:

(I like Megan products, f you all haters)
Megan Headers
Megan Flex Resonated Test Pipes
Megan Y-Pipe
Stock Midpipe

Upgrade after its done, May-ish time frame:
EBC
Low/High Boost maps from PF (water inj running on high)

We'll see how it works with the piping and if I need to, probably heat wrap.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally Posted by App6MT
My setup will be:

(I like Megan products, f you all haters)
Megan Headers
Megan Flex Resonated Test Pipes
Megan Y-Pipe
Stock Midpipe

Upgrade after its done, May-ish time frame:
EBC
Low/High Boost maps from PF (water inj running on high)

We'll see how it works with the piping and if I need to, probably heat wrap.
What is the y pipe outlet diameter. Also, have you considered coatings for those parts as well, inaddition to heat wrap?

Last edited by Ahsmo; 01-11-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:20 PM
athenG

App6MT

With all those Exhaust mod then I really thing you might as well do the Heat Wrap right away. There are people (LS1 guys) who had problem with spooling when switching/replacing their headers, adding some Heat Wrap help eliminate them though. Also I'm not sure if it is in this thread but there is another thread in the Exhaust Forum and Hydrazine found out through some testing that there was a BIG Sudden Drop of Exhaust Temp when on a Test Pipe. A big drop in exhaust temp will reduce the Volume and Velocity so that might hurt your spool. JMHO.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:27 PM
athenG

Man I was searching for Vacuum Tee Connector on this site and I found out that the store that I bought my Water/Meth kit is actually a Vendor here!! hahaha I had to call every dealer from CoolingMist site to get to Josh.

Go check him out!!
https://my350z.com/forum/vendor-group-buys/287172-coolingmist-varicool-stage-2-varicool-trunkmount-group-buy-insane-prices.html
Old 01-11-2008, 09:32 PM
denchan350gt

Man I was searching for Vacuum Tee Connector on this site and I found out that the store that I bought my Water/Meth kit is actually a Vendor here!! hahaha I had to call every dealer from CoolingMist site to get to Josh.

Go check him out!!
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287172

What is the difference between this kit and the AIS trunk kit?

The kits look alike to me using the same controller and tank.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:25 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by denchan350gt
What is the difference between this kit and the AIS trunk kit?

The kits look alike to me using the same controller and tank.

I just looked at the AIS Trunk Mount and they are using the VariCool Controller. I think they have some kind of a partnership Price is also the same so I guess either way you are good. Not sure about AIS but Coolingmist have a Lifetime warranty if you buy their own mix. I haven't talked to AIS (Only on PM) but David at Coolingmist is very helpful and alway available, he even configured the controller for me upon shipping.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:35 AM
denchan350gt

I just looked at the AIS Trunk Mount and they are using the VariCool Controller. I think they have some kind of a partnership Price is also the same so I guess either way you are good. Not sure about AIS but Coolingmist have a Lifetime warranty if you buy their own mix. I haven't talked to AIS (Only on PM) but David at Coolingmist is very helpful and alway available, he even configured the controller for me upon shipping.
Cool.

I was just wondering because I purchased the AIS progressive kit for my car.

I just noticed that you have 2 different sized nozzles and do you have the S-HQV on your kit?

I'm going to call cooling mist and see if I can purchase that seperately from them. I don't think AIS have the quick acting valves for their kits like cooling mist.

Post up pics when you have it installed I have a G also.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:25 PM
athenG

I only got the Varicool which is the Progressive kit. The difference is that I got the new Flash which allow me to use IAT as one of the criteria. For Example I can have Boost as 70% and IAT as 30% or 50/50, there is an algorithm that compute how to increase flow base on the weight you put on them. The problem with regular controller is that the Flash is not upgradeable, basically you have to buy the new controller to get the new flash. Yes it comes with 2 nozzles but the other one is only used for 450whp+ or if the small one is maxed out.

I'll put some Pix but I'll probably ask Jining since he already has the AIS Trunk Mount kit and have been using it for a while

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread