Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 01:29 PM
DudeMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another update

well i put the 8.7psi spring in and got tuned but the car was only hitting 4psi and we couldnt figure out why but then i remembered that we move the wg line from the brake booster to the turbo... so i called sts and the first thing they asked was if it was placed there.

so instead of running the line back to the front im getting a big green spring with is 13.07psi and ill explain why

the reason the line is ran to the front is because the turbo will compensate and work harder to make targeted boost so by upgrading the spring and keeping it at the turbo it should be more responsive and spool a little quicker
Old 04-27-2009, 06:59 PM
DanielW
Banned

Originally Posted by DudeMan
another update

well i put the 8.7psi spring in and got tuned but the car was only hitting 4psi and we couldnt figure out why but then i remembered that we move the wg line from the brake booster to the turbo... so i called sts and the first thing they asked was if it was placed there.

so instead of running the line back to the front im getting a big green spring with is 13.07psi and ill explain why

the reason the line is ran to the front is because the turbo will compensate and work harder to make targeted boost so by upgrading the spring and keeping it at the turbo it should be more responsive and spool a little quicker
huh?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 PM
DudeMan

Originally Posted by DanielW
huh?
on your sts kit you have the line going to your wg that runs all the way from your brake booster(because thats how sts says to do it) so you hit targeted boost.... because if it was ran like a normal front mount turbo setup the line would run to your compressor housing on the turbo... but theres about a 4.5psi drop from the turbo to the intake manifold since the pipings so long...

example
in my case i ran the line to my turbo instead of the brake booster so my wg sees the boost that the turbo is actually seeing which is 8.7psi but because of the pipes length it gives me about a 4.5psi drop so the intake manifold is only seeing 4.2psi...

so by upgrading the wg spring to a 13psi spring and keeping my line ran to the turboat the manifold it should hit about 8.5psi

get it meowwww?
Old 04-29-2009, 04:38 PM
JonnyC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that a consistent 4.5 psi drop from the compressor to engine? I ran my wg off of the compressor housing and I think I only hit ~1.5 psi less (3.5 psi vs. 5 psi) on the stock wg spring.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:56 PM
DudeMan

Originally Posted by JonnyC
Is that a consistent 4.5 psi drop from the compressor to engine? I ran my wg off of the compressor housing and I think I only hit ~1.5 psi less (3.5 psi vs. 5 psi) on the stock wg spring.
yes constant and theres no leaks in the system what so ever... if i remember correctly every 2.xft 1psi is lost depending on the pipe size
Old 04-29-2009, 05:44 PM
DudeMan

so has anyone had problems with their oil pump? mine was staying on while the car was off and would shut off if i wiggle the power wire coming off the battery now the pump wont turbo unless i wiggle the relays... so tomorrow im taking out all the pins and soldering them in hopes of a faulty connection...

any takers?
Old 05-01-2009, 10:35 AM
JonnyC

Nope, no problems with mine. It's actually a pretty quality wiring setup, so make sure you don't have it wired up wrong. Somehow the wire connected up to the fuel pump wire must be getting power, or that relay is faulty.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:49 AM
DudeMan

Nope, no problems with mine. It's actually a pretty quality wiring setup, so make sure you don't have it wired up wrong. Somehow the wire connected up to the fuel pump wire must be getting power, or that relay is faulty.
yea thats the thing i bought this car with it already on... theres a lot of **** ups that im going through and fixing... so annoying!!!!
Old 05-02-2009, 11:24 PM
DudeMan

i cant stand this utec it constantly wants to fight with the ecu so im selling mine and getting a universal aem
Old 05-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

i cant stand this utec it constantly wants to fight with the ecu so im selling mine and getting a universal aem
Bad choice. Haltech instead. More support for the 350z.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

another update

Just to set things straight in this thread for anyone who reads this in the future, the information in this post is incorrect.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Place the wastegate reference line where you WANT to see the desired boost boost pressure. If you want 8 psi at the compressor outlet, put it right on the compressor outlet. If you want to see the desired pressure in the intake manifold, put the reference line to the intake manifold.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

You were putting less air to the engine at 3.5psi. At a higher pressure, he is putting air into the engine at a greater rate which leads to more losses through the intake piping.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:40 AM
DudeMan

Originally Posted by Ahsmo
Just to set things straight in this thread for anyone who reads this in the future, the information in this post is incorrect.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Place the wastegate reference line where you WANT to see the desired boost boost pressure. If you want 8 psi at the compressor outlet, put it right on the compressor outlet. If you want to see the desired pressure in the intake manifold, put the reference line to the intake manifold.
so please tell me how thats incorrect?? sts themselves said run the line to intake manifold because the wg will open at the psi levels the mani will see no the turbo... just like when you have a boost leak yea youll hit the same boost but because the turbo compensates for it
Old 05-04-2009, 06:51 PM
JonnyC

Quick update on my car...

I got the Magnaflow resonator installed in place of the stock one. I must say, it's not all that much different. It definitely helps, but I still don't want to be rolling into my neighborhood at midnight. However, I did install Kinetix resonated test pipes in place of my HFC's at the same time.

About the test pipes - my car stinks now. I can actually smell it while I'm cruising on the highway with the windows down, and I smell like exhaust when I get out. I might want to go the Motordyne XYZ route sometime, if I feel like dropping that kind of dough.

I installed the small green .5 bar wastegate spring in place of the stock .4 bar red one, and I'm hitting exactly 6 psi. My BCS doesn't seem to work as it doesn't increase boost - only causes the WG to flutter bad. Maybe I have it set up wrong, although I made sure to reference instructions from Julian (I think) in an old post.

Also, I'm hitting 93% duty cycle by 6,250 at 6 psi I either need to get a RFS or bigger injectors (or both $$$).
Old 05-04-2009, 07:56 PM
goosegoose

Quick update on my car...

I got the Magnaflow resonator installed in place of the stock one. I must say, it's not all that much different. It definitely helps, but I still don't want to be rolling into my neighborhood at midnight. However, I did install Kinetix resonated test pipes in place of my HFC's at the same time.

About the test pipes - my car stinks now. I can actually smell it while I'm cruising on the highway with the windows down, and I smell like exhaust when I get out. I might want to go the Motordyne XYZ route sometime, if I feel like dropping that kind of dough.

I installed the small green .5 bar wastegate spring in place of the stock .4 bar red one, and I'm hitting exactly 6 psi. My BCS doesn't seem to work as it doesn't increase boost - only causes the WG to flutter bad. Maybe I have it set up wrong, although I made sure to reference instructions from Julian (I think) in an old post.

Also, I'm hitting 93% duty cycle by 6,250 at 6 psi I either need to get a RFS or bigger injectors (or both $$$).
Test pipes make everything noisy. Imagine how loud things would be with the test pipes without the magnaflow?

I wish you could hear my car now with Motordyne XYZ HFC. Sometimes I think it's quieter than stock on vacuum. Very unexpected.

Last edited by goosegoose; 05-04-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:58 PM
goosegoose

Somewhat related question:
Can changing the compressor and impeller wheel of the turbo change the sound/tone of the wastegate and blow-off valve?
Old 05-04-2009, 08:05 PM
JonnyC

Originally Posted by goosegoose
I wish you could hear my car now with Motordyne XYZ HFC. Sometimes I think it's quieter than stock on vacuum. Very unexpected.
Did the HFC help out with the exhaust smell? Did Motordyne assure you that it wouldn't blow out?
Old 05-04-2009, 08:22 PM
DudeMan

Originally Posted by goosegoose
Somewhat related question:
Can changing the compressor and impeller wheel of the turbo change the sound/tone of the wastegate and blow-off valve?
wastegate is pre turbo... and for the bov when i had my hks on my sti i noticed it got a little louder when i went form 17psi to 24psi but maybe it was just me
Old 05-04-2009, 08:23 PM
DudeMan

i have resonated test pipes and then the big one near the turbo is deleted and i never smell gas or get complaints from any one? maybe your tune is a little rich?
Old 05-05-2009, 05:45 AM
goosegoose

Did the HFC help out with the exhaust smell? Did Motordyne assure you that it wouldn't blow out?
With my previous test pipe setup, the smell was so bad almost everyone commented on it. The smell was was with richer tunes, but still strong with leaner tunes.

With the Motordyne XYZ HFC, I smell some of the fumes when I just start the car, but after the car warms up, there is virtually no smell.

Tony from Motordyne said the HFC should not blow out.

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread